Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D fighting game - Dark Dragon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 20:22
Back from holidays! I hope that everybody had fun this summer.

This week I will work on fixing "The parameter is incorrect" error.
I will add 1 more fighter and 1 more background on the demo too, and a simple shadow effect.

I would also like to know if anyone found another problem on the demo so I can fix that too, before uploading the updated demo.

Cheers!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 20:46 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 20:52
This game looks ace! Keep working on it. Arcade mode works well, but it's hard.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 14:14 Edited at: 27th Sep 2011 14:40
Just uploaded my second demo. What has changed?

Recompiled with latest version of DBPro. I hope that this will fix windows 7 problems. (I might need a comfirm about that).
Added two more fighters and new backgrounds. Also changed some animations too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1kj4cn4r5a0os9y

In The ZIP file I have included a pdf with game instructions and a list with the special attacks and combos of some fighters.

IMPORTANT INFO

About controls: Game controls are not as described in the pdf, I have changed them.
Controls are:
Player 1 ((left side) use arrow keys to control fighter. A - punch1 , S - punch2, Z - Kick1, X - kick2, space bar - Block.
Player 2 (right side) Use NumPad arrow keys to control fighter. NumPad7 - Punch1, NumPad9 - Punch2, NumPad1 - Kick1, NumPad3 - kick2, NumPad5-Block.

Only during a fight:
You can change keyboard controls using F2. Use F3 to activate/deactivate joystick. F4 toggle Game Difficulty. The game starts at easy level. Some people said that it was a little hard.

I hope that you will enjoy it!

Cheers.

Edit: My Sound Fx are not that good. It's the best I could do for now. If you don't like the sound
fx and the vocals you don't have to tell my fighter to shut up. Just press F1 (toggles sound).
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 00:09 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 00:09
wow just played it on max resolution(F6 key). runs fine on my radeon 6670 1gb graphic card. i do agree that the sound needs improving. At the same time i see lots of potential for this game even at it's current state. I really enjoyed the game. the combos were good. Im assuming that the names will be in there whenever in the future. im also running on windows 7 home premium. so it's fine for me. the game runs smooth for me with no problems. About time someone makes a fighting game for the PC.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 00:15
I played it! The aesthetic of the game is quite amazing. I really liked kicking people through the doors at the edges of some of the levels, very satisfying . I haven't practiced it much, but it does feel like there is a lot of potential for combos, which is a very good thing.

The game ran a bit slowly on the level with the red-trimmed samurai-dojo-type building in the background.

I feel like the second player gets rather shortchanged when all his controls are jammed into the number pad.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 15:42 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 15:58
Thank you guys! I am very happy that you liked the game.

@ DevilLiger The sound is poor and definitely needs improving. And I have to think something about music. I can't write my own...
Also the gameplay at the current state is not final. I have to apply rules about combos, breakers and other things like that. And also put somewhere the names of the fighters.

@ BMacZero You liked kicking people through door? Me too! I should put some breakable things somewhere too. And maybe transitions between backgrounds, like in Mortal Kombat Armageddon.
I think that the slow down in the dojo background is because of that stupid rain effect I made. It uses big ghosted plains. I will remove it. It's not very good anyway.
About the controls, you can change them during a fight with F2. But practically if you want to play VS mode with 2 players you can't, because the keyboard gets jammed! As I remember, even from 1993 with the release of Mortal Kombat for the PC, I could never play a VS match with another friend using the keyboard, and that has not changed even today. But you can use a joystick for one of 2 players (my XBOX 360 controller works well) F3 will activate joystick but my game will only support 1 joystick.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 18:39
Dimis,

Have you checked out the Spark 3d Dll it has a rain effect that may not slow down the game. We are using it in our projects and have found no slow down.

Here is the link
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185523&b=1

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 12:35
Just saw the Spark 3d Dll. I will give it a try soon. The particle system looks excellent. I hope it works well in my game.

Thanks!
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 12:11
so...what's the progress of the game?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 18:11 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 20:39
@ DevilLiger
I am working on new characters. Now I have 14 playable fighters. I am thinking to add finishing moves too, but I am not sure about that, because that will take a lot of time. Limited time is still a problem! I will try to upload a video with new fighters soon.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 14:17
you can always decided on that after you're done or maybe make a sequel then add finishers to them on that one. i don't know either. it's your call. btw i can't wait for the video update.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 21:05 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2011 21:06
Just uploaded some rough videos, showing new characters and the new fx system that I developed last week. All firebolts and explotions have been redesigned. I am still not done working with the fx but I think they already look better now.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL512C4964175EC0DF&feature=viewall
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 02:36
Is this for the 360 or PS3? Lol

As always this is looking like it was made by a large team of professionals, not just one person.

I love the backgrounds and the character movement looks like how it is expected to look. Not sure about the sphere based effects and a few of the particle textures look pixelated, and some of the hanging cloth animations start from the same frame at the same time.

The only reason why this is so noticeable is because of how wonderful everything else looks. No doubt if anyone said that just one person made this 5-10 years ago they would wrap you up in a straight jacket, throw you in a mad-house. (Opps can't say mad no more can we )

Obviously later on you will be adding sound and some kind of storyline to stimulate more emotion towards and drama between the characters; but so far so good. One year off the mark.

I stopped playing these type of games a long time ago; but I admire how this has all been put together.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 04:21
looks awesome. keep up with the great work. someday when it's out i'll buy it.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 20:46 Edited at: 7th Nov 2011 20:52
@Chris Tate & @DevilLiger:
Thank you both for your comments!
About the fx, I removed the spheres and now the fx system uses pointed plains and animated textures. You can see it on the screenshots:

And about the extra objects (hair, belts and clothes) they are animated, but their animations start playing when the characters that wear them, start playing their own animations, that's why they start at the same frame. For example, when a character starts to walk front, his hair starts to wave backwords. For a more accurate and better visual result I should use some type of physics and limb/object collision routines, instead of animating every object.

Now of course I will add a storyline and character bios, but I don't know what to do about sound. I 've included sound fx in the second demo but they are in low quality. I need character voices, a lot of them! Maybe I should ask for some help about music too.

Sometimes when I look at the amount of work I did last year for the game, I do feel a little mad (I can say mad when I am talking about myself right? ). But it is something that I enjoy making, sometimes it takes my mind away from daily problems. As I have posted before I wish I had more time to complete it, but I am afraid that it will take a lot of time. But I am not quiting. I will release it eventually... I just don't know when!

And one more video with 2 characters showing the new fx system.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Why can't you say "mad"?

Mentally challenged, or what?...

Go ahead, say it like that, and i kick you in tha nuts.

Yay i so hoped one day you're gonna see that sphere thingy just wasn't the right direction

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 22:20
MADMADMADMAD

The FX look good; you see particles now, you don't see spheres.

I understand about your point with the hair and the clothing. You know what you are doing. It's just those cloths hanging in the actual background starting at the same time that could look better starting at different frames or slightly different speeds but it is minor.

I'm good with music and sounds, but I am too busy in two projects at the moment. I am sure some of the guys in the music forum and at Gamedev, MySpace and Soundclick could give you a hand. There are also royaltee free sound effect libraries floating around the internet.

It will be dramatic when you add the sound and music. The story and some secret characters could arrouse curiosity and anticipation as well. MADMAD

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 22:30
Oh oh oh oo o

I must ask. Are you going to create multiplayer support?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 16:25
@ Quel : Yes the spheres looked ugly. The new particle system is better and has more potential. I am adding new behavior features for more visual fx. The "kick in tha nuts" sounds like a good idea for a special attack. I will give it to one of the new characters.

@Chris Tate: I didn't realize that you were talking about background objects. I am using instances for some animated objects. I can fix that by using cloned objects.

Multiplayer support, like team matches (2 vs 2) ? As it is, in Mortal kombat 9? It is possible, my program can be modified to support more fighters, but not more than 2 at the same time on screen.
That could make the gameplay more interesting too. The controls will be a big problem. Now the best way to play a vs match, is with 2 joysticks or keyboard and joystick. 4 players might have to use 4 joysticks.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 17:25
Over a network, was you planning an offline game? Is it a small issue to link characters over a network or do you not feel like making it online?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 17:42
Actually I don't know how to make the game online, or over a network. Let's see first when I will have it completed for offline playing and I can add multiplayer options later.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 01:46
Ok. No biggie, I am just curious because that is where these games are going nowadays, so people can play each other more easily. But I'm sure this will become good without online gameplay.

I feel it will be difficult make with multiplayer, consider this:

Multiplayer support is always easier to implement from the start than it is to implement at the end. This is because function calls need to be transmitted to the host of the game, who performs the actions on local objects, to then transmit the results back to the remote opponent (Client/Server). So imagine that all of your player actions would need to send a series of numbers to an instance of your game on a computer; and the location and state of the characters would need to be sent back through TCP/UDP messages; which are a series of bytes.

At least that is one way it can be done; the other way is to let clients handle their own movement and actions; and have them query positions, attacks and damage from each other; and verify that the characters are where they should be (Peer-To-Peer).

A nasty job; hard work when you already started without it planned.

But who knows, maybe someone might help you with it later.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Fighting games are absolutely NOT online games... you need to be next to your opponent, being able to constantly interact with him/her to actually enjoy the gameplay.

At least that's the only thing that on those rarely occasions keep me playing fighting games, otherwise i wouldn't give an f'duo about the genre.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 15:10 Edited at: 11th Nov 2011 15:11
Quote: "Fighting games are absolutely NOT online games... you need to be next to your opponent, being able to constantly interact with him/her to actually enjoy the gameplay."

I agree 100% on this point...

No, actually 200%

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 15:20 Edited at: 11th Nov 2011 15:22
Quote: "Fighting games are absolutely NOT online games... you need to be next to your opponent, being able to constantly interact with him/her to actually enjoy the gameplay."

Indeed, it's one of the genres that I really can't see as an online game, but that may be, because I started playing fighting games on PS1.

Nothing's been quite as fun as having multiple mates over your house and playing a "tournament" with each other - punching and kicking each other within the game and screaming at each other's face in reality, while making fun of each other and cursing, all the time.

Online modes, on the other hand, really didn't make much fun... because the interactions between the players just weren't there and you couldn't see how the person on the other end freaks out.

So, for that matter, something like a "tournament" mode may be better - allowing to play with multiple players, that are then chosen to fight each other, and each winner goes to a next round, until only one player's left... perhaps the winners could gain "gimmicks" during those tournaments, who knows (although that'd require profile management...).

However! The game seems to progress quite well and the graphics look pretty good already, can't wait to see what the final game's going to play like.

-Doomster

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 15:25
It occurs to me that multi-player might be good for this if played over a LAN... that could be cool on laptops / other mobile devices but I still prefer the old fashioned way!

I think my first experience of would have been on the mega-drive...

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 19:04
Quote: "Fighting games are absolutely NOT online games... "

I see where you guys are coming from with your comments, but what I mentioned has been done; it is quite a new concept; consider Street Fighter IV.

It has online multiplayer support and has 9.0 Rating on Gamespot. (If you believe in ratings...)

Quote: "you need to be next to your opponent, being able to constantly interact with him/her to actually enjoy the gameplay."

I think this tradition is changing now that consoles support online gameplay and more and more people are socializing online.

Quote: "At least that's the only thing that on those rarely occasions keep me playing fighting games, otherwise i wouldn't give an f'duo about the genre."

I stopped playing fighting games for similar reasons. Beyond fighting games, with any game I have no one to play with at home; my friends are not avid gamers. I mostly watch DVDs with them, plus I need to rest my fingers for work anyway, so if was to play a button bashing computer game for more than 15 minutes, it would have to be pretty good.

Quote: "It occurs to me that multi-player might be good for this if played over a LAN"

Indeed. It would be interesting to out play a human being rather than AI; unless its an RTS, RPG, Turn Based Strategy or platformer; I find AI vs Player gameplay boring; but that's just me.

I think it could work on WAN as well, not just LAN; not only because Street Fighter 4 does it; but because if 60 people can play an FPS in an open field, why can't 2 ( or 4? ) play online with a 2.5d viewport?

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 23:27
i felt like he can always add it in after the games done. he should add multiplayer option.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 16:35 Edited at: 14th Nov 2011 16:39
Ok, I think that playing a beat'em up next to your opponent is better than playing online. It is nice to see the expression on his face after you perform a Fatality, or sometimes you can take the fight to the real world! It is more fun that way.
But if I manage to add multiplayer option at the end, it will be better. You can find more people who like fighting games on the web and they will be a better challenge than the AI or maybe even your friends.
I don't know if I can add it myself alone because I lack the experience to do it, so I will need help.

And a little progress report...
17 fighters so far. I still have no ladies in the game, because I have problems adding many "common" animations to the female skeletons.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 15:50 Edited at: 28th Nov 2011 15:58
This weekend I finished 2 more fighters. One is finally a lady! It took a little effort but I managed to give her natural motion in certain body areas.
Also I worked with the camera a bit. I will have the camera zoom in - out in some events during the fight.

Screenshots and video:

Cheers!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 14:57
Very cooooool stuff, Dimis! I like it very much! And the lady loox sweet too! Keep it up, dude!

Btw, are you doing the sounds and music too? Or, is someone helping you in that area?

Cheers

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 15:37
Thanks The Slayer!!

Well about sound, I only have a small collection of basic sound fx and voices, but I need something better. Ideally, each fighter should have his own voice, but... that is a little hard, I can't do the voices myself, (especially with my greek pronunciation ).

And about music, well that is another problem. I can't write my own music.

I was wondering, if you could help me with music?

Cheers
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 15:42
Quote: "I can't do the voices myself"

I could have a try at some voices if you're stuck... I can do one or two different voices maybe. Send me some lines to try out for you and we can all have a good laugh

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 15:46
Quote: "I was wondering, if you could help me with music?"

Sure, that can be arranged. I do have a lot of other things going on, but I'm sure I can spare free time to make songs.
How about some midtempo metalsongs, or house/trance? Sounds good to you?

Quote: "I could have a try at some voices if you're stuck... I can do one or two different voices maybe. Send me some lines to try out for you and we can all have a good laugh "

Looking forward to that, bax!
But, if you like, I could do a few voices too? I'm not a native English language speaker, but my English is not bad at all. Besides, an accent here and there will add character to the game.

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 15:51
Quote: "Besides, an accent here and there will add character to the game."

Agreed!

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 16:01 Edited at: 1st Dec 2011 16:02
Good idea Baxslash! Ok I will think of some lines, but I mostly need screams. You know, for attacking, "Kia", "Haya" or something like that. And some vocals for pain. I will do some of my own too. For girl vocals, I can always leave the toilet seat up, in my girlfriend's home, this can produce good and loud vocals.

When we gather some, I will add them to the game and see how it turns out. At least, as you said we can have a good laugh!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 16:10
Quote: "Ok I will think of some lines, but I mostly need screams. You know, for attacking, "Kia", "Haya" or something like that. And some vocals for pain."

OK, I'll have a go when my wife is out

Quote: "For girl vocals, I can always leave the toilet seat up, in my girlfriend's home, this can produce good and loud vocals."

LMAO I might be able to get some vocals from my wife if I'm on the computer when she gets home from work

Quote: "At least, as you said we can have a good laugh!"

That's how I try to live my life...

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 16:43
Quote: "But, if you like, I could do a few voices too? I'm not a native English language speaker, but my English is not bad at all. Besides, an accent here and there will add character to the game"

Sure, I'll wait for your vocals too TS. Actually most of my characters are chinese \ japanese in origin, so I will not add lines to all of them, only screams.

And when you have the time we can talk about music too. Some hard rock / metal music tracks would be fine. We have plenty of time, I don't think that I will complete the game any time soon.

Quote: "That's how I try to live my life..."

me too...

Thank you both guys
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 18:52 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 18:59
Just added an optional camera for 1 player mode. I saw that "over the shoulder" camera, in the latest version of street fighter 4, and I really liked it. I think that it takes you more inside the fight. I tried and a first person camera too, but it doesn't work well. Your characters limbs get in the way all the time and you can't see your opponent coming, you only see polygons and occasionally a foot kicking your face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIGDZqHVq0&list=PLE94105E5B7F60844&feature=mh_lolz
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:22
Nice idea; I am a fan of alternating camera shots.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 18:44
Thank you Chris. I think that changing the camera angle, makes the game a little more interesting, since I use 2.5 viewport and the player can only see the background from a specific angle. The only problem is that character design flaws are more obvious now, because fighters come too close to the screen. I hope that's not going to be a big problem.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 04:03 Edited at: 9th Dec 2011 04:58
Dude this look amazing. Like Mortal Kombat but the characters' "ready stance" animations are better.

For next version it would be nice if there was a toggleable overlay with the controls on.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 20:32
Thank you Dr Tank! It is obvious that I am an MK fun, right?
About the controls, I had a pdf in the rar file, explaining controls and key customisation, but I can do what you suggest. I suppose it will be more handy that way.

Btw, I am playing gravity force 2 right now. I will practice this weekend because I still can't fly straight, but I like it so far.

Cheers
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 09:32 Edited at: 12th Dec 2011 10:23
to me, the game feels like Mortal Kombat meets Killer Instinct. which is awesome.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 20:46
Quote: "It is obvious that I am an MK fun, right?"

Yes. If you show this to Ed Boon he might give you a job.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 19:10
Quote: "Yes. If you show this to Ed Boon he might give you a job."

Working for the development of the MK games would be the ideal kind of work for me! Even if I was just hired to make coffee for the MK team.

Quote: "to me, the game feels like Mortal Kombat meets Killer Instinct."

Yes, you saw what I was going for. I wanted to combine the look and the gameplay of both MK and Killer Instinct. I can't say that I achieved 100% of what I wanted to make, but I did my best.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 11:08
Christmas holidays gave me enough time to work on new characters for my game. This is one of the final bosses. Influenced by one of my favorite evil characters of all times, "the Shredder".
Dark armor, dark skin and black wings. Looks evil enough, I guess.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 19:57
Awesome. Dude makes Shao Khan look like a pussy.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 20:03
Woooaaah, dude! Looking sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

When will he be available? ??

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 00:50
Your art work is awesome and very professional looking.

I noticed that you posted on another forum post that you were having trouble with the models scaling during animation.
If you have not solved the scaling problem this may be the answer.

The reason models scale up or down during animations is because the models file contains
matrix keys. When Dbpro calculates the frames in between the matrix key frames it does not use
quaternion calculations. The model then scales during the interpolated frames, the more interpolated frames
in between the more noticeable the scaling.

The simple solution is to export the model from your modeling program with position and rotation keys instead
of using matrix keys. Dbpro correctly calculates position and rotation keys with quaternions. In most of the modeling programs
to export with position and rotation keys just un check the matrix key export option. If your models contain rotations that are
360 degrees or more, they can actually disappear during interpolated frames using matrix keys. Hope this helps.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:43:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:43:44