Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dark DynamiX - PhysX Wrapper for DBPro/GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm running it on Windows 7 without any issue...
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 17:34
well it always tell me that the physics dll is missing. i even put the dll in the folder where the prj is & it still doesnt work just like dp wont work.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 00:57
hi David iz cool

I was able to run with no problems

I'm using DBP 7.61
in windows xp pro sp 3

was the version you put in the latest ?

the dll's that come with it should be the one's to make it work

are you using the latest video drivers ?

I've got every dll free and pay and i've tweaked one of Matrix files
so it dose not conflict with a pay one

more detail's about DBP would help

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 20:34
@ chozomufin could u give your specs?

im using windows 7 home premium. dark physics & this dont work on my pc.

im currently studying newton 2 use that in my game.ive found its the only physics system that works

& yes im pretty sure i have latest physics drivers.i think a security feature with win 7 might be blocking it thats my guess.
ChozoMuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Asus G73JH Laptop

Intel Core i7 Q720 (1.6 GHz)
8 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (x64)

I have these DLL's in the project folder:

PhysXLOaderCHECKED
PhysXDevice
PhysXCore
PhysXCookingCHECKED
NxCharacterCHECKED
cudart32_30_9
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 02:51
umm ChozoMuffin

is your unit a netbook ?

these are more limited computers compared to home model's theses days

do you have the

NVIDIA PhysX System Software

or

ati's version of it added

I know having the gpu chips helps but on a older computer
I had it did not have the chip and needed that to let me use it

just some thing you might want to check

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 19:01
hey, hows it stand as of now? and do you have a price? I could use a good physics engine. and this seems to have the best of dark physics and newton.
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 17:26
hey chozomuffin,i have the same exact laptop! good choice! ;D

but my 3d card is nividia.ill try putting all those dlls in the prj folder & see if that helps.

but im really liking newton thou.might just stay with that

i can run some of dark physics ,but these are the ones that wont work for me,soft bodies,phy static mesh,force fields,character controller. seems all the cool stuff. o well
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 19:57
Quote: "hey, hows it stand as of now? and do you have a price? I could use a good physics engine. and this seems to have the best of dark physics and newton"

I will add some more stuff this week and give a full report at the end of the week, thanks for your kind comments

ChozoMuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Resourceful

I was using NVIDIA's PhysX System Software. Although I don't believe you actually need it? My other programmers and I all got our program to compile and run without having to install it... I'm pretty sure all you need are Matty's lib and include files and those DLL's in the project folder. (Which is brilliant, btw. So much easier than jumping through NVIDIA's hoops to get their SDK. Hat-tip to Matty.)

@David iz Cool

Mid-air explosive high-five. Has the thermal paste on your GPU disintegrated yet? I need to re-paste mine, cuz it overheats and crashes whenever I try to run anything newer than Pong...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 12:54
I have added the following commands, I just need to add them to the dll for the DBPro version.

Let me know today if there is anything minor that needs fixing or adding as it may be a few weeks before you get it otherwise

Also, if you are using this then feel free to keep pestering me to progress as sometimes I need a bit of a push

I will upload it over the weekend at some point.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 18:35
I have updated the first post, you can now download version 0.2

The main additions are Triggers and Continuous Collision Detection.

New commands:

CCD can be used for objects moving at really fast speeds, it is a little more expensive but is needed for things like bullets which otherwise can pass through thin objects without detection.

Triggers allow you to detect when an object enters or leaves a certain area.

The 'freeze' commands allow you to restrict movements and rotations, for example you could restrict movement along the z axis and your game would be 2.5D

Let me know if you have any issues, thanks.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 05:25
Hey, I love that lock feature! that will help a lot! can I use this for my tank? Basically what I want is my tank model to have dynamic tracks, in which the tracks will take the shape of the ground. Think of a tank on top of a hill and imagine the "arch" the tracks would have.

Thanks much! (any price yet? so buying!)
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 17:05 Edited at: 28th Nov 2011 17:06
@Southside Games
There are many ways to do tank tracks, I'm sure Dark DynamiX can help if you need raycasting etc, it depends how you implement the tracks.

No price yet, still a lot to do for full version

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 17:30
thermal paste? not sure what your talking about. but i just got it about 3 weeks ago. sorry off topic lol
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 19:14
Basically what I was thinking is adding bones were the wheels are and attaching that wheel and its part of the track to the bone. then making the bones dynamic and locking the rotation so the wheels stay upright. Can I do that?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 20:14
@Southside Games
I completely misunderstood what you said, I though you were talking about tracks being left by the tank on the terrain

Wheel shapes always stay upright and they have suspension values so they would follow the terrain in that respect. The hardest part is the track, there was a demo provided with one of the PhysX SDK's which showed how to create tracks using joints. The whole tank was controlled with physics which was pretty cool.

It may be better to come up with a none physics solution for the track, you could have a model and just manipulate the texture to simulate movement and maybe move the vertices up and down to match the nearest wheel?

There will be lots of different ways but at least the wheels will not give you any trouble

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 21:03
Thing is I tried moving the vertex but it looked really bad. Thats why I guess I'm asking if i can move bones. if so then I can add bones and position the bones to the wheels - 5 (so the track is not inside the wheel) any ideas?
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 21:15
can you show me were that demo is?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 22:36
I can't find it, sorry.

On my current computer I have PhysX 2.8.1, 2.8.3, 2.8.4, 3.0 and 3.1 and I have looked through all their samples. I think I originally started out with PhysX 2.7.? on my old computer and it must have been included with that.

It joined lots of flat(ish) box shapes together to simulate the tracks, although this looked awesome that sort of system would have a few drawbacks:

1. Very CPU intensive, lots of joints all affecting each other.
2. Hard to control on any surface other than completely flat, would take an excellent real time editor to get all the values right for more complex terrain.
3. Very complex to put together, again, an editor of some sort would probably be needed.

Hence why you don't see it in games(afaik), and why it was more of a tech demo for PhysX.

So you can try that route if you wish but I would not recommend it

I would think animated tank treads would be easier, with stability benefits, although that's not easy either. It's up to you, you don't really see anything other than very basic tank implementations most of the time so I would be interested to know how you get on.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 22:55
ok then. I'll look into it ^^
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 23:04 Edited at: 28th Nov 2011 23:09
you should see if you can add a command that will let you position bones. I can make an phy object with the same wheel positions, put the tank over it, and with the help of a position bones command I can position the bones at the same position of the wheels of the phy object
ChozoMuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, it's refreshing to have those commands back in use again. Thank you for adding them, Matty.

However, I've been having another problem that I haven't mentioned ever since I switched to Dynamix. When my characters are dynamic objects, being controlled by forces, they can very easily be "pushed" through the boundaries of any static box object and find themselves inside it.

I thought that this might have just needed a CCD solution, but CCD didn't fix it. The objects are moving pretty slowly, and yet they still push their way into static boxes.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 23:10
Quote: "When my characters are dynamic objects, being controlled by forces"

So you are not talking about character controllers? I have not seen dynamic actors penetrate each other like that before.

If you can replicate the issue with as little code as possible and preferably no media then pass me the source and I will take a look.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 05:21 Edited at: 9th Dec 2011 03:16
Hey all,

First, I will try to explain to Matty H what Southside Games was talking about. What he wants to do (as far as I can see) is attach the suspension properties of the wheel shape to each little square of the track and have it move the squares up and down without rotating them when the wheel shapes roll. There are some problems with that, though. If you lock the rotation of the wheel shape, it won't roll. Yes, that means the little squares of the track won't twist up, but it also means you'll have a hard time getting the tank to actually move.

Second, I am going to say "HA HA!" to Matty H. Oh, I've already said it. Right, well in that case I will explain why I am saying/have said that. I am writing my own wrapper for the Bullet Physics engine. As soon as I finish adding vehicles and the character controller and all the raycast commands, you're going to have a hard time making people buy DynamiX when they can get all the same stuff for free in my Bullet wrapper. But don't worry, if they want to use PhysX's crappy fluid simulation they can buy DynamiX And I'm sure people will like your lite version better then my full version until I get the more advanced stuff working (vehicles etc).

And now, just to be really nasty, I'm going to say this:

Here, everyone, is a link to my Bullet wrapper. Just be mindful that it's not finished yet, but I am working really hard to get the most useful stuff in. Plus, it's 10x easier to use then DynamiX. There's no assigning actors or whatever you have to do. It's just one command:

BP MAKE BOX Object Number, Dynamic

Have fun teasing Matty H!

EDIT: Ok, after re-reading this post I realised that sounds rather like I was being serious and actually trying to be nasty to Matty H. PLEASE NOTE this post was purely for fun and was NOT intended to offend. Sorry if I did Forgive me?

Clonkex

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 12:29
Quote: "Plus, it's 10x easier to use then DynamiX. There's no assigning actors or whatever you have to do. It's just one command:

BP MAKE BOX Object Number, Dynamic"

As opposed to:
PHY MAKE BOX Object Number, Density

Can't see why my command is more difficult, I don't want you to give the false impression that DynamiX is hard to use.

Good luck with your bullet wrapper Clonkex, I know how much work it takes to finish something like this. More options for the community is a good thing.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 12:38
First of all I'm going to assume that Clonkex is joking since I have only been half watching this thread. If not then there really is no call for being rude to Matty H particularly on his thread. I'm sure if he's offended then he knows where the button is

I think a little healthy competition is always good. I haven't tried the Bullet wrapper but I can say that I've been using Matty's plugin from the early days (until AppGameKit came out anyway) and found it very stable and easy to use.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 21:18
Well Matty I like the "BP" instead of "phy". that way your wrapper won't conflict with dark physics. I mean I really don't want to uninstall it and destroy my projects that have it. I guess I mean to say it's hard to sample.

wrong with the tank thing again clonkex I just want the wheels in the track to go up and down. and how I plain to do it is like a glove over a hand. the hand would be a physics vehicle with wheels in the same spot as the ones on the tank model, and like a glove I would put the tank model over the physics vehicle. I had no intention of the tank moving it'self with tracks that rotate. the CPU needed would be way to much.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 17:04
Thanks baxslash.

@Southside Games - I will look at changing the 'PHY' if possible so people don't get conflicts with Dark Physics.

For now you don't need to un-install, you just remove the dark physics dll from the plugins folder and put it somewhere safe.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 00:02
@Matty H

my thought would be

"DdW" instead of the current "PHY"

just some thing to consider

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 16:37
I get Dd or DD but what's the W for?

PhysX's own namespace is Nx so I might go with that if I can do it relatively easily.

Other considerations are DYN, DY, DD, Px

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 23:46
@Matty H

the W is for "Wrapper"

2 letter names could possible conflict with other
commands past or future creation

with what I had
it would help people remember easier

one other thought

"DDP"

what dose every one else think would be easier to remember ?

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 02:22
To me, DD makes sense because it is represents the name of the product, so it will probably sell it better when seen in source code snippets.

Px is also a good representation of PhysX.

Dyn, longer than DD, but it reads better when you think of the word dynamic. It might sell better than Px.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 03:02
Dyn would clearly define the purpose
and help sell it

with all the commands in DBP and with all the addition
past and present updated addition like "Dark DynamiX"
only makes it more confusing at remembering all the commands
to achieve the program wanted

so any peace that helps keep thing all understandably only helps

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 03:22
@Southside Games:

Ah, but I did not mean that the physics track would move around in a chain. What I was getting at was this:

1) Physics objects are used to add some kind of "suspension" to the tank, so the tracks bend and squish as it drives over the terrain.
2) Only the visual tracks themselves move around in a chain-like fashion, with any track pieces that are near the bottom being affected (in relation to height) by the physics track pieces. This way the visual tracks bend and squish as well.

Clonkex

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 18:23
thats it, and thats why I would like a command to place bones. I can't place limbs, they don't bend right at all.
ChozoMuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, I found the cause of my problem... This is just a problem with my system, not your engine, although a system like mine (character controllers that can sometimes also be acted upon by forces) is very difficult to achieve with PhysX, it seems.

If my character is a dynamic object, flying through the air, and impacts a static object and generates the NXCC_COLLISION_DOWN condition, I have it switch to a controller (so you can land on top of a static object and start running on it).

However, if your trajectory is downward, and you impact a vertical wall of a static object, it will still generate the NXCC_COLLISION_DOWN condition, switch to a controller, and you end up inside the static object.

I'm sure I'll figure out some kind of workaround... but PhysX does have me in a pretty tough bind, here. I would welcome any suggestions.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 16:48
Quote: "and impacts a static object and generates the NXCC_COLLISION_DOWN condition, I have it switch to a controller"

That condition is generated by a controller so I'm not sure what you mean when you say you then switch to a controller?

Are you using a hybrid system where sometimes your character is represented be a dynamic actor of some sort? If so, when does it become dynamic?

Controllers are designed to give you complete control of your character so trying to get them to respond to forces is always going to be a little tricky.

Someone on the PhysX forum said they use a dynamic capsule with frozen rotations for their character. It would then be completely dynamic but there are bound to be complications with this system, stairs/slopes perhaps. I suppose it could suit some situations but I have never tried it.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 09:25
I got it right! I'm brilliant...

Clonkex

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 10:59
hey all

a name change would be nice as I just tried to run a car
example I found the forum from quit some time ago
and DBP could not understand what to do with the command

well I got that all working by removing and replacing the needed file

I would like to have both the old and the new with out any conflicts between them

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 23:24 Edited at: 13th Jan 2012 17:27
Cloth Demo

Example attached.

This is one of lots of additions DynamiX has had over the past couple of weeks. I am so close to finishing this, I will have an update soon with more info about what is new.

Try not to ruin my cloth please, thanks

EDIT: Uploaded again with missing dll.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 23:39
@

I only had one problem missing
cudart32_30_9.dll

I found it and put it in the folder and it ran

I moved it to
C:\WINDOWS\system32

it still worked
but if any one else is missing it you can grab it from here

Attachments

Login to view attachments
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 09:46
Hi Matty, that is awesome. It seems like Dynamix is turning out great - much more stable than darkphysics. You should probably upload a new zip file with the required DLL included, it nearly crashed my computer without it.

By the way, I totally ruined your cloth.

@Resourceful - Thanks, that saved me some digging around.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 10:15
@revenant chaos

so that means I would not be the only one looking for the missing dll
at least it was an easy one to find

@Matty H

I own Dark Physics and the cloth responded just like examples for that

the one thing I noticed was the cloth was harder to damage
it was a much stiffer for the material

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 17:34
Thanks for trying it people, I have added in the missing dll.

Setting the cloths tear factor and stretching stiffness determines how much stress the cloth can take before breaking.

I never knew Dark Physics had cloth tearing, what about soft bodies? I know it has them but I am under the impression that you need to use a shader to texture them or something? I think I read that somewhere. I will post a soft body demo soon, I need to be sure DynamiX has everything Dark Physics has and then hopefully a bit more.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 17:50
@Matty H

it had soft body's but you needed anther program to build a file
so you could use the item which it should not

code will need to be built in if possible
so that a object ready to be instantly ready to be used
this would eliminate the need for the time to convert

@Matty H

if you like I can build a exe for all the examples and post them here ?

so others can test them and you can get a better idea what Dark Physics
came with and was missing

I would say they were about 80 percent complete but stopped working on it

they had liquids but you could not change the color to suite what effect
that was needed and I think the code could have been faster with more
particles for creating water fall's or fountains

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 18:00
Thanks Resourceful.

I have implemented soft bodies already, just need to add a few more commands.

There is no getting around needing a tet file, PhysX needs a tet mesh in order to simulate a soft body. They are like ordinary meshes but with an inside structure too and only the PhysX Viewer can create them.

With DynamiX you can texture the soft body object, although I can see why they would leave that out as it took me a long time to implement it

I don't need dark physics examples etc, my main aim with Dynamix was to provide more flexible vehicles and a more flexible character controller which I'm pretty sure I have done. Oh, and to add more user collision detection so sparkys was not needed when using physics, I know a lot of people use sparkys with Dark Physics but this is not ideal and a major waste of memory.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 18:15
@Matty H

ok

from what I can see in the tet file is just locations of points in an object
it should not take much if "DKAVM and DKShop" dll to find the points that the peaces
that make up and object could generate a tet file with out the need for
PhysX Viewer

the one example I have for soft body is a frog in obj 3d file type

the file size is 476 kb but the tet fill for it is 176 kb
and it's all text inside it

I guess either me or some one else could try and create
a tet generator code builder with out the need for PhysX Viewer

the only problem is that "DKAVM and DKShop" will not work in DBP RC7.7
But it dose work in DBP 7.61

and it dose not look like either of those 2 will be updated any time soon

saying all that

I'm glad other things are happening

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 23:59
@ Resourceful,

I think we can forget any update now to DKAVM/DKShop, more's the pity.

However, think DarkDynamiX will have command(s) to allow the 2d point coords to identify not only object but object limb, maybe also vertex? MattyH?>

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 00:11
@Duffer

well I have sent a message to the creator of those
at the two e-mail address I found

but I currently have not heard any thing back

the only other option is the vertex command set
if that continues to be working then there is a chance of eliminating
the need for "PhysX Viewer" which should have been included with dark physics

there should have been some thing to make soft body's a quick thing