Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] When Worlds Collide (Complete Overhaul)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 20:25
@anayar-
hows your voice? I don't have any voice changers.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 21:15
I'd be up for voice acting - I did my own voice over for TestTubes. Let me know what you think.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 22:44
Well I'm a guy in my twenties... Let me know if you want a sample or something

Now I better get off the forums before someone catches me lol

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 00:01
anayar! Get to work or go sleep! Just kidding man, take all the time you need

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 00:39
LEVEL 8 SCREENSHOTS DUMP

imageflock.com/img/1329262608.jpg[/img]
imageflock.com/img/1329262671.jpg[/img]
imageflock.com/img/1329262712.jpg[/img]
imageflock.com/img/1329262730.jpg[/img]

please comment!

Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 00:45
So sick! The one building with the lights lot in it, how'd you do that or is it just the model?

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 00:50
Quote: "The one building with the lights lot in it"

all the buildings are done by using simple plains to make the sides, and the roof is done by segments and entities separate for better collision and enemy pathfinding.

maximum polycount seen in this map is 74,000, however the issue of memorycap comes in to play. I need to figure a way to keep it under 1881mb tested.

Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 02:10
looks awesome!

THE CARNAGE PRODUCTIONS WEBSITE IS NOW UP!

www.Carnageproduct.webs.com
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 01:28
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 18:11 Edited at: 16th Feb 2012 18:16
really great looking, bugsy, awesome work.

for the ram-limit: as far as i heared the v1.19 has much better use of ram, so you eventually have more freespace for media with the new version (i hope so, too^^).
folderstructure: delete everything not neccessary out of the used folders. as far as i could see, fpsc simply collects used folders and put it into ram. i had trouble with limits too and had some photoshopdata in texture- and decalfolders. after deleting them i could build game with 100mb less than before.
HUD-scripts: watch out that your scripts are written propperly. used a HUDscript with a line error wich causes engine to use about 20mb. after deleting the error in the script i had 18mb less.
sound: use ogg-files instead of wav. only needs as much space as mp3 with same quality, so 1/4 to 1/20 of wav-sounds.
models: if you are able to customize animationframes, do it. fpsc sets up each copy of a character for buildprocess, even its just a copy of a former used model. when you cut down the frames of the x-file to the neccessary, you can save an imense amount of ram. why still hold swimming-anims when no water in the level?
textures: delete alphas and lightmapping-textures if not neccessary. also use reduced color-mods if its okay for the look. also saves ram.

all this will also eventually increase framerate.

so much for now.

gz

maho

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 02:19
thanks maho- I didn't know about the HUD thing! I'll be sure the regen hud script is right, but I'm already removing character anim frames for certain unused weapontypes as well as swimming and landing anims.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 15:30
okay, I need your honest opinion- which full screen shader?
the one on the right is our current one, made by theK, the one on the left is uzi idiot's chromatic abberation with no mods.

imageflock.com/img/1330180018.jpg[/img]

Dark Frager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 16:04
Hard to pick. On some screens one looks better than another. But I say go with the one on the right as it makes the game look more brighter.

Fruitella's a badman sweet, do you get me?
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I say that you got with TheK's.

Quote: "maximum polycount seen in this map is 74,000, however the issue of memorycap comes in to play. I need to figure a way to keep it under 1881mb tested."

This plagues the game more heavily then anything in the end. I've flirted with the memory cap in Dusk and I learned the hard way that its nothing to be poking a stick at. Currently, Escape the Bunker: 1944 is very simple in aesthetic design but I'm already hitting 1.5GB. This is my absolute limit. Going anywhere near 1.7 is asking for an instant crash on people who will play your game later down the line. I've also currently got my lightmapping all the way to 60. I'm not willing to budge on this as the shadows look really nice with this setting.

I don't know what you have currently set but you might have to sacrifice your lightmapping quality or down-size your maps one. I've split several of my levels into smaller bi-sections to help loading issues and stability problems. You might have to do the same... although I suspect it will set you back heavily.

FPSC is a learning experience that rewards and punishes a good bit in its usage. I just hope you can work thinks out and get this game stable!

PC Specs: AMD X4 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Win. 7 Pro 64 Bit
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 16:21
first one, definitely. second is too shiny for me.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 16:56
Quote: "I don't know what you have currently set but you might have to sacrifice your lightmapping quality or down-size your maps one. I've split several of my levels into smaller bi-sections to help loading issues and stability problems. You might have to do the same... although I suspect it will set you back heavily."

I may change up the lightmapping a lot, but level 8 is already short as it is. too short. way too damn short. I'll see what I can do to make it work with less memory.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 19:11
I like the left better, personally, but I also like the blue washout on the second. Maybe mix the two?

Cheesehead for life.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 19:16
I've made a version with colour correction, so there will be the blue washout.

Mr. Flibble is Very cross!
Mental Stability is over-rated!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 20:22
ok. I downloaded that version, at least I think I did, but I did not notice a washout. I'll try my old colour correction values if I can find where to put them.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 20:27
The shader just had the default values in it, I just added the colour correction controls.

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 20:47
The only advantage in the pictures on the left is the bloom around the lights. Sometimes it may become a little overbearing which is why I would stick with the ones on the right! Nonetheless it looks like a fantastic job!

Abdul Ahad

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 21:30
Quote: "The shader just had the default values in it, I just added the colour correction controls."

working on it now, as well as scanlines. will post a pic

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 22:01
imageflock.com/img/1330203595.jpg[/img]

finished shader.
you probably don't like it now, but I know it'll grow on you. I feel like the slightly digitized, camera-like appearance will fit well with the largely glitch-hop soundtrack.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2012 22:09
Quote: " largely glitch-hop soundtrack"

I love Glitch-Hop, particularly The Glitch Mob.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 00:32
god games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 04:49
very good man keep it up

don't move handsup
msn = gamefreak15@live.nl
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 05:23
thanks god games! anyone else?

Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 05:33
Love the new shader, adds a new feel to it. Before it seemed kinda very realistic and dark, now it still feels like a hardcore game just with a new edge to it

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 05:38
thanks so much! I try to make it very much like a digital camera.

JBoy77
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: The dark path to righteousness is where you'll find me...
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 23:55
Wow this game looks really great and interesting! I'll be keeping an eye on this post.
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 01:16
The newer shader is much more appealing. Great work, I look forward to this.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 12:09
thanks to the both of you!

TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 02:42
Really good work. Nice placement of entity's, nice design overall, very good lighting. Congrats.

BTW, I just put up a post about a large arch ceiling. Did you make that ceiling in the screenshot (with the water below) or find it somewhere. If you found it and remember where, please let me know, I'm looking for a ceiling like that.

Thanks

TechGirl
(Yes, I'm really female!)
TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 03:14
I just spent a while going through all pages of this post to look at screenshots. Really, really awesome lighting!

I was wondering if you can give me a tip. I was using V 1.15 before and I got the lighting down, when it came to having a wall lamp look lit well (like you do), but now I have v 1.18 and when I put a lightbulb near the wall light it has a round shine on the wall. I can't figure out how to get the desired effect now with wall lighting with the new "bloom" feature.

Any advice would be appreciated. Keep up the great work!

TechGirl
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 05:49
hey techgirl!

I'm glad you like the looks of my scenes, and I'l glad to help. as with the large arch ceiling, the arch supports and the actual arch ceiling itself is a segment. it's all one model, made by wizard of id.

as for the bright lights, you need every light entity to have an illuminationmap. as for the lack of lightpool surrounding the bulb, the screen with the water has the lights in the middle of the scene as opposed to next to the bulbs.

TechGirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 16:07
Thanks very much for the info.

I tried to find wizard of id's arch ceiling and didn't find a link. I guess I will try again this weekend when I have time.

As for the lighting, I am going to spend the weekend going over Bootlicker's Guide to Shaders so I can figure out how to make illumination maps. I'm assuming (by your post) I'll have to make one for each light model I use.

I'm also assuming you used decals for the water, since I tried the new water feature (trigger) and it fills up the entire room. I know you can trick it to stay in just one area, but I am assuming the level will still have extra lag thinking there should be water everywhere...

Thanks again

TechGirl
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 21:46
Quote: "I'm also assuming you used decals for the water"

no. I just customized the waterheight in script. I also haven't noticed all that much lag with the water.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:19:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:19:09