Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Samurai Legends

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 12:36
Sorry for my late reply but I won't have internet at home for another week.

In Poser you can either work with dials or simply by moving limbs. I prefer using dials, because I have better control on my model.
Now about custom models, Poser has native models, but you can also import a custom mesh (obj format works perfectly) and there is a bone creation tool that is very easy and allows custom skeleton creation. Weight painting is not necessary because Poser does some kind of auto weighting on the skin.
Anyway I haven't used that tool much. As you said I animate a generic character and I only export the animation data. Then I assign animations on my models with simple append commands in Db pro. That is the best way to work in my case, because all my models share a lot of animations, more than 60% are commonly used by all fighters. But I have to work with 1 specific bone setup and that is sometimes a problem.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sorry for my late reply but I won't have internet at home for another week."

No problem.
Thanks for giving me an insight of your workflow. Very interesting.
I'm working with one bone setup as well, then I extract the animation data with enhanced animations. However, I must admit that I wasn't able to share the animations with other characters (using the same bone setup). I wasn't even able to use the animations on the original character after re-exporting with an additional limb (sword). Are you using EA as well or have you written your own animation system ?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 15:18
No, I don't use EA. I just add every new animation in one dbo object, which works like a "library". I made a program that loads my models, and assigns every animation simply with append commands and saves the models as dbo with every animation included.
Now adding extra limbs on my models doesn't appear to create problems. I could have a problem if accidentally I change something in the hierarchy of the skeleton, but adding extra limbs like swords or equipment is fine. Maybe this is a problem of EA.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
That's really great. I guess you had to come up with this method because you are not able to do it inside your modeller ?
Anyway, you really know what you're doing. Would be great to have someone like you on board.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 17:05
Exactly, I can't do that in my modeler.
I would definitely like to take part in this project, but I still have to learn better tools to be more useful.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2012 07:42 Edited at: 30th Mar 2012 23:03
@Dimis -
Quote: "I would definitely like to take part in this project, but I still have to learn better tools to be more useful."

I'm sure you'll be very useful in the code department as well. You already coded your fighting game. Maybe you can help us here and there.

Anyway, as I mentioned some time ago, I made some first tests with the camera system. I captured one of these tests, so you guys would have an idea on how it's going to work. I hope those who were against fixed camera's won't find it too bad.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2012 15:29 Edited at: 29th Mar 2012 15:32
Quote: "At the moment we are debating about third person versus fixed cameras. While personally I'm tending towards the fixed cameras. My friend, who's the programmer, thinks fixed cameras are outdated.
I just think a well placed fixed camera could be better during a sword fight, than a cam behind your character which needs constant adjusting.
If you guys would like to share your opinion, please let me know what you think would be best, and if possible why. "

It depends on play style. For action games like this i prefeer fixed cameras.

BTW pretty nice graphics, I didnt think that was even possible with DBPRO with good FPS.

I can help offering advice and a bit of programming, if you want contact me.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2012 16:33 Edited at: 29th Mar 2012 16:33
@Alfa X -
Quote: "It depends on play style. For action games like this i prefeer fixed cameras."

We have already decided on the fixed camera system. I posted a video in my previous post. Here again the link

Quote: "BTW pretty nice graphics, I didnt think that was even possible with DBPRO with good FPS."

Thank you very much, I'm doing my best to keep the frame rate up.

Quote: "I can help offering advice and a bit of programming, if you want contact me. "

Thanks for the offer ! I might take you up on that in the future.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi remember me hehe.Its me Leongamerz.

Wow,I love your work Irradic especially 3D model.I was surprised to see this game back in action.Just one question thought,are you developed this game alone if so,I really proud of you hehe.I will checking this game from now on.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

TheMechanic
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks extremely impressive, your very talented! what plugins are you using with this project?
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Leongamerz - Thanks a lot !
I had already invested a lot of time in the project, I thought it's a good idea to turn this into a game.
However last year I revamped all the models, including the character, so practically it's like I started over from scratch.

Right now there are two people working on this project. A good friend of mine who's helping me with the code, and me of course.
The games' story was created in collaboration with my wife's cousin, who's a professional script writer.

Since I spent a couple of months creating assets, we are doing fine without an extra 3d artist for now.
But I'm hoping to hire some professional talents for various aspects, specially animation. Hence I'm really hoping that the Indiegogo fund raiser campaign will be more successful in the future.

@TheMechanic - Thank you ! We are using Evolved's Advanced Lighting shaders, Dark Physics (but it will be replaced by Dark Dynamic once it has been released), and a custom dll which does stuff like trigger or hide objects if you enter a certain zone.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that's good to see that you got help.Sometimes we need help right?If Samurai Legends is out,I will buy it for sure.Still,I am very proud of you and I hope this game on Steam.This will show what Darkbasic can do.So that's all for today and I wish you good luck in future.

Irradic,Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 10:05 Edited at: 5th Apr 2012 06:16
When you are done i'll buy this game plus this game has to be able get into steam when it's done.

edit: i edited my post.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Leongamerz -
Quote: "Sometimes we need help right?"
With a game of the size of Samurai Legends, you would definitely need help.
I haven't thought much about publishing yet, it's still a bit earlier. Would be nice though to have it on Steam.
Thanks a lot for your support and kind words !

@DevilLiger - Thanks for the support ! Like I said earlier, it would be great if Samurai Legends would be sold on Steam. But that's something we'll concentrate on at a later time. There is still a lot to do.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 16:26
Quote: "I haven't thought much about publishing yet, it's still a bit earlier. Would be nice though to have it on Steam.
Thanks a lot for your support and kind words !"

I was looking at how you put games on Steam just yesterday, and I discovered they want you to have the game in a playable state (at least beta) before they will consider it. They also won't say how the Steamworks thing integrates with the game but they say it's easy and can and should be done after the game is complete. It means you have nothing to worry about, especially since DBPro supports custom DLLs so if Steamworks uses a C++ library you still use it.

Clonkex

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 16:39
they state how it integrates on their website...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 02:45
Quote: "they state how it integrates on their website..."

...but not how Steamworks integrates into the game.

Clonkex

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 15:07
Quote: "Quote: "they state how it integrates on their website...""

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 16:06
Irradic, I wanted to ask something. If you have a way to make the flash blur effect of the moving blade, when your character attacks. All weapon combat games use something like that:

I wanted to use that kind of effect in my game too, but I can't come up with something that is accurate and good. I noticed that without such effect, a weapon's motion doesn't seem solid enough.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 16:12
What game is right? --->?

yeah I remember seeing a thread with this very effect discussed and explained not too many weeks ago..

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 16:34
If I remember correctly ZZZ implemented something like that into soulhunter using the memblock command set in DBC.

Even though a textured UV animated plane with alpha in the right position might look convincing enough.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 16:49
@ cyril
I tried using animated plains. It is good for straight horizontal or vertical motions. But when a sword makes a big curved motion it doesn't seem convincing enough. I' ll search for that effect in soulhunter to see how it works.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 21:04 Edited at: 6th Apr 2012 22:24
@Dimis
You could use a Disk shape mesh for a circle, or a cut disk for a curved motion, well to be more accurate a path style mesh that is the shape of the weapons or attack path, with the uv calculated along the path, however the drawback of this is that it may take a great amount of polygons to get it to look smooth enough.

I prepared an example of the effect for a spin jump attack at half speed. With the EXE and source code zipped. Ignore the project description I need to change my old defaults.

Picture of example:

Edit: I forgot to mention this is a 64 polygon example.

Edit 2: Impressive work Irradic, even in the screenshots you created a great atmosphere graphically but also artistically keep it up.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 21:47 Edited at: 6th Apr 2012 22:35
@Dimis - Let me know if you find a good method to create slash trails.
I'm using the ALS paricle system, problem is that the affect doesn't align with the blades edge.

@cyril - thanks a lot ! I'll do my best to keep it that way.

I'll do a couple more tests with the particle system, since it seems to be a good start. I'll share the emitter if i can Create something worthwhile. However you would need to use the advanced lighting shaders.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 23:29
@MrValentine
The right image is from Soul Calibur 4, I think.

@cyril
Thanks for the example. Actually that gave me another idea that I want to look into.

@Irradic
Sure I will let you know if I succeed something good. I will try my idea to see if it can be achieved technicaly.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 16:37 Edited at: 7th Apr 2012 17:05
Quote: "I wanted to use that kind of effect in my game too, but I can't come up with something that is accurate and good. I noticed that without such effect, a weapon's motion doesn't seem solid enough."

I wrote something like that a while back:

TheComet's Library - A library of useful functions

Should work just as well with swords.

TheComet

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 17:59 Edited at: 7th Apr 2012 18:07
Thanks a lot TheComet ! Just what we were looking for.
I haven't looked into your library yet, but I guess for me the integration won't be so straight forward since I'm using Evolved's Advanced lighting shaders. I have to add planes\meshes to the system and assign proper shaders for them to be rendered, or else they will show up black.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 21:07
Hmm, I think that shouldn't be too hard to adjust. When you add the effect to your game you include the file TCL_3D_Trail.dba. Inside there's a function that creates the trail:

You'll just have to change the object's properties there so it affects every trail you use.

TheComet

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 22:23 Edited at: 17th Apr 2012 22:27
My friend, who was programming, is no longer able to work on the project due to some unforeseen circumstances.
Unfortunately it's not an issue that will resolve itself within a short or predictable span of time.

I'm looking for someone who would like to take over his part.

Samurai Legends is not a dead serious project, I'm definitely trying to get things done, but since I'm married, have a family and a day time job, there are other things that take priority.
There will be no dead lines, we'll just try and get as much done in the time that is available to us.

Unfortunately I'm not looking for a total beginner. I appreciate any kind of help, but I'm looking for someone who finds his way around in DBPro.

If you would like to help out with this game, please email me at

Well other than that, I'm currently working on a new enemy inspired by the hannya oni mask.
The details on the chest,back and shoulder armor will be rendered onto a bare version after I have done some more work in the sculpting app.
I will use a glowing particle effect for the eyes for some more character.

I have also spend some time to figure out how to create diffusely convolved cube maps for the advanced lighting shaders' image based ambient lighting.
A lengthy process, specially if your source is a 360 panoramic sky image. But at least now I'm no longer stuck with Evolved's default ambient cube map

Attachments

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Image for ibl

Attachments

MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 13:43
For glowing eyes, you might check out Bond1's zombie apocalypse 2 shader for some ideas.

Your blightmap (diffuse convolved (blurry) cubemap for lighting) is looking good. Question: if you had a golden sunset to the West of your skybox, with a blue moon in the East, would you be able to rotate your skybox to "simulate" day/night --- then rotate your blightmap to reflect changes in the skybox layout?

Also, are you just setting your DOF to the character's distance from the camera?
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 15:28 Edited at: 20th Apr 2012 16:13
Thanks MMM, I already do have a shader for the effect I had in mind. But I'll take a look at Bond1's shader anyway.

As for the simulation of a day/night cycle...
not out of the box, but with some changes to the shaders it should be doable. I think it's best if you contact Evolved and ask him, he should be able to give you a direct answer to your question.

The camera focuses on the character, blurring the background while getting closer to the camera position. Take a look at the image below.

Attachments

MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 09:31
Neat! Thanks for the pics; I'm glad it worked out that way. It'd be nice to see the focus shift to whichever enemy you're attacking, too. I guess that's down the road.

A follow-up question:

Imagine the skybox scenario I detailed in my last post. In your current blightmap shader, if the character were facing west, his front would be light by the sunset. I imagine then that with your current shader, if he turned himself to face the east, his front would be lit by the moon? Correct?
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 11:20 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 11:25
Quote: "Neat! Thanks for the pics; I'm glad it worked out that way. It'd be nice to see the focus shift to whichever enemy you're attacking, too. I guess that's down the road."

I'll definitely figure out something later on.

Quote: "Imagine the skybox scenario I detailed in my last post. In your current blightmap shader, if the character were facing west, his front would be light by the sunset. I imagine then that with your current shader, if he turned himself to face the east, his front would be lit by the moon? Correct? "

I made a small example for you. I took the dc cubemap and colored the left and right facing images in green and red.
You can see that the right facing side of the character is shaded red, the left facing side is green. Would he completely face the right side, then his front would be entirely red and his back green.

Since the entire cubemap has influence on the character he would always be lit by the sun and the moon at the same time. If a day/night cycle would be done with 1 diffusely convolved cubemap, I'm not too sure if the results would be any good.

Maybe using multiple cubemaps for the day/night shift would do the trick. I'm swapping the ambient cubemap if the character enters an indoor scene where the lighting is different.

Attachments

MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 13:06
Quote: "Would he completely face the right side, then his front would be entirely red and his back green."

Your point about the day-night thing is fair enough - silly example. But this quote really answers my question. Not having looked at shaders of this kind before, I think this is pretty nifty. So what happens if you walk inside a building? Presumably the power of the blightmap is determined by the actual shadows throughout your world? That is, being indoors would confer no extra lighting from the blightmap because you're standing in shadow?

(not about to rip this shader off myself or anything, but I'm keen to visualise how your graphics will turn out)
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
The cubemap is not acting like an actual light source.
It really just influences the ambient shading of whatever object it is applied to.
Standing indoors doesn't effect the ambient shading of the objects, hence once being indoors I swap the cubemap to one that resembles the shading of candle light, or else everything would still have a blueish tint, which wouldn't really fit.
However, radiosity normal mapping is a technique that resembles what you were describing.
All lighting information is baked into a light map, allowing normal mapping even in unlit areas. If you paid close attention to regular normal mapping I'm sure that you noticed that the textures are still flat in unlit areas.
The maps can act as light source, for example affecting a character standing in a lit area of the lightmap.
Unfortunately in order to bake radiosity maps you would need Maya and Turtle (plug-in) or Beast (Turtle stand-alone application).

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 04:56
In future, could you make your example images smaller so they fit inside a 1366 pixel wide monitor. As it is, I have to scroll back and forth sideways just to read the text. Same on the first page.

Thanks

Clonkex

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 01:28
I like the HUGE pictures, they appear cute to me

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 13:18
Incredible 3d models. The game itself looks one hundred percent professional. If it's finished, think of steam?

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the kind words kamac. Steam was mentioned previously, but I haven't thought about publishing matters yet. It's still a bit early. But I'll consider it if and when time comes.
Thanks again !

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2012 13:43
Any progress with the game Irradic?

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2012 16:53 Edited at: 4th Jun 2012 17:10
@Dimis - TheComet has been actively working on the code for the last couple of weeks. I'm glad he's helping out.
We've been discussing the battle system in the recent days, and are currently trying to find solutions to some limitations of the physics system.

I've been a bit busy with my private life in the past weeks, looking for a new apartment etc., but at the end decided to renew the lease for another year, since we weren't able to find anything worthwhile.

In the little time I had available I continued working on one of the enemy characters.

I will update the thread as soon has I have something new to show.

Attachments

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2012 18:54 Edited at: 7th Jul 2012 18:55
"Inspired" by the current bad weather I thought I'll see if I could make it rain inside Samurai Legends.

Screenshots didn't do too well in capturing the rain, so I made a short video.

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 00:34
Mega cool... Now you just need drops on the floor...

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2012 00:48
Nice rain effect. Really subtle and fits the game perfectly.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@MrValentine - Thanks ! Water splashes are already in the scene. But probably I should increase the radius to cover more of the scene.
The splash emitter is repositioned to the position of the active camera.

@Fallout - Thanks a lot ! I didn't want to over-do the rain effect.

I'll see if I can create a nice lightning effect that will go along with the rain. But at the moment I'm working on decapitation, melee still needs some work.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 23:57
looks very good.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 01:31
This project is one I've been looking at from time to time and I'm always more and more impressed! You've done all of this in DBPro? It's awesome!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 04:43
Awesome rain effect you have going on there. Keep up the great work mate!

TheComet

MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 09:31
Like the rain. What meathod does this use? Full-screen or object shaders? Or neither? Suits the setting very well.

I do think it's a little strange how the rain only "motion-blurs" vertically, even though it shows significant crossways movement. Wouldn't the "lines" of the rain be on a slight angle? Or is this just the video messing with me?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 17:59:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 17:59:36