Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Rush to Adventure

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 03:42
I think the look could work; I suppose they do not like the color palette, it is pretty luminous and saturated; but it is not ugly.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 10:48
Not everybody likes retro. A lot of people just wants the latest and prettiest games. But retro is doing quite well these days. However, those games still have a higher resolution and overall better graphics than RTA.

I have tuned down the saturation a notch in a few places. Compare the latest map screens to the ones in my signature. But it's still a colorful game, and that's how I like it.

To my surprise most of my friends don't like the music. Which is something I love to listen to. I think the art, the music and the gameplay goes really well together as a whole.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 21:22
I did not think the music was bad; it is like you say, goes well together with the theme of the game. It sounds like the old games in the 80s and 90s. Perhaps the guys who do not like the music are expecting to hear music they listen to in general.

I played a few levels; did not get far; reached the first forest level then got fed up of dying. The sword did not swipe every time the space-key was pressed; something similar was happening with jumps.

Enjoy the rest of the work.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 21:33
I personally love the colorfullness of your game, it's what made it appealing in the first few screenshots

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 21:44 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2013 21:45
The music is made with a NES emulator software, so it's quite authentic 8-bit. Some just find that kind of music annoying to listen to. But it can be turned off in the settings.

The current medium has been changed to hard for later versions. Have you tried playing on easy? You can also level up your hero's stats by clicking on them in the inventory (in the current version) and use better equipment.

The stars to the top right is your energy. once you run out you can't swing your sword anymore. Not attacking will make it recharge. In future versions the hero turns dark when you can't attack. There should be no problems with jumping that I'm aware of.

Thanks Zoq2

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 23:15
I will keep play testing it every once and a while

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 00:41
Chris:
I'll release a new version in a few weeks, just so you know

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 13:44 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 13:45

There's now a blacksmith next to the river. He will sell you the broad sword. You'll be able to get it before going to the tower. I've made chibi versions of all the weapons for the map. And I can now unlock weapons just like the torch and the key.

I hope to complete the save files later today, so I can focus on the leveling up next week.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 22:04
Loving the overall art style DA, but could I suggest you don't use yellow writing on a green background?

With the different brightness and contrast levels you get on a variety of devices that could be really hard to see.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 22:15
Thanks Fog

Ow man, I like that look. It's not pure yellow, it's gold/orange. Guess I could add some white or red to make it stand out more from the background. Now that I think of it, probably is bad for colorblind people too.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2013 15:25
Small point but "Carying" should be "Carrying". It's looking great though, really starting to feel more complete!

You ain't seen me right?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2013 18:51
Thanks Bax

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2013 21:38 Edited at: 4th Oct 2013 21:39

Yay! The experience bar is finally working. Well, wasn't that hard to do but I like how it turned out. It's animated with sounds and everything. This week I have also completed the save file and done a handful of small fixes here and there.

This weekend I will start on the level up screen. Don't think I'll be able to complete it though. Chris have offered to do a short level up fanfare so I'll be waiting a few days for that as well. I'll be working a lot next two weeks. Will only be able to code like a few hours every weekend. Hopefully I can complete the pre-alpha next weekend. I am looking forward to be able to play through the whole thing, leveling up, buying the sword etc.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 18:57
So, a quick update. Noticed a slight glitch in the map corners when scrolling the map. This turned into a massive bug hunt as there was a few in there, giving me some weird results. Those were nailed earlier today. I have also just completed a delete function for the save file. This will also restart the game back to the intro. Probably won't have time to code anything until next weekend so completing the level up screen next weekend is not looking promising. But will see what happens.

BTW, regarding jumping bugs. I think this is basically trying to reach a platform and not letting go of the jump button. So, I decided to not have auto jumping. Now you must press the jump button once for every jump and not keep it pressed for consecutive jumps. I do miss that feature myself.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 21:27
Quote: "I suggest you don't use yellow writing on a green background?"

Quote: "Ow man, I like that look. It's not pure yellow, it's gold/orange."

Or perhaps make the text and background different tone levels; they are less likely to fade in together if their contrast ratio is high enough.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 22:12
Quote: "Or perhaps make the text and background different tone levels; they are less likely to fade in together if their contrast ratio is high enough."

I've made the text a lot brighter, almost white.

BTW, started on the graphics for the level up screen. But not really sure how I want it to look. If I can complete it before the end of the weekend I'll release it here for testing.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 23:46 Edited at: 11th Oct 2013 00:12

This hasn't been coded yet. But I would like some feedback on the look. I was thinking about having a confirm button, but it wouldn't look good with this design. You would confirm the choice on mobile by tapping the selected ability. I am so going to get this thing coded this weekend.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 16:40 Edited at: 13th Oct 2013 18:02
OK, here it is. I really wanted to get this done yesterday but I didn't have the time to fix the bugs I found while testing. This is a pre-release of the Pre Alhpha. I would appreciate it if you too the time to download and test it for me. I hope there are no bugs left but if you can find any, or something else then please let me know. I wanted a fanfare for the Level Up but still waiting for one from Chris. I about to start posting this to other places as soon as I've done some more testing etc.

Windows version
Android/Ouya version

BTW, no new levels. But now you can level up, buy a sword and play with controllers. There's a new intro. Your progress is automatically saved whenever you return to the world map or quit.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 22:54
I tried the PC version and overall it seems verry well made. The only thing I would suggest is adding controll customisation since im used to other games.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2013 23:47 Edited at: 13th Oct 2013 23:50
I've noticed that the ranking scores are off on all levels since I've upped the exp on all enemies. That and s few other minor fixes coming soon.

The Zoq2
Thanks You can change the keyboard controls in options. But currently no controller configuration. A is common for jump and X is common for attack.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 00:28
Both versions have now been updated. If you have already downloaded, get the new version with the same link. Your save file and options file is in "My Documents > AppGameKit > Rush to Adventure" so you can keep using those. The save file can be reset from the options menu.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 01:53
Loving the intro credits; top class; I do notice all of those gradient faded transition effects.

I managed to enjoy the game more now that I can stay alive for longer. The enemies are easier; but this is only a good thing for people like me who like the journey more than the challenge.

I love a video game where I do not die in the first level; which should be the easiest level which teaches you how to play. Usually when ever I play a AppGameKit / DarkBasic game the first level is harder than the 30th level in Super Mario 3.

First time seeing platform game level with no pattern on the platforms; not a bad thing, just something different that I noticed.

I get a program hault when I replay the level in the Windows version. It just pauses when I finish the level with the music still playing. No buttons work or anything, but I picked world map in the menu to exit the level anyway.

The level up screen looks alright. It could be argued that the gold UI is actually yellow; might want to drop the green a little in the color channel; if I remember correctly you wanted it to look golden.

Would be nice to be able to click the white arrows as well as keypress them; but you might have a good reason not to.

I can't help imagine what the levels would look like with a bit of animation, some of it synchronized with the music; and a bit of particle effects here and there. But the way it is may be your taste, and it looks good.

I played up to the pathway near the river; must be getting on with my own game work now. Next time I will try to video my rush to adventure game footage.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 08:36
Thanks for the long reply Chris, much appreciated

Quote: "Loving the intro credits; top class; I do notice all of those gradient faded transition effects."

Glad I'm not the only one!

Quote: "I managed to enjoy the game more now that I can stay alive for longer. The enemies are easier; but this is only a good thing for people like me who like the journey more than the challenge."

Yeah, after watching people play it I realized it was too hard. It's really easy for me who have played the game over and over.

Quote: "I love a video game where I do not die in the first level; which should be the easiest level which teaches you how to play. Usually when ever I play a AppGameKit / DarkBasic game the first level is harder than the 30th level in Super Mario 3."

The original design of that level was much harder. I didn't realize how hard it was for new players until I watched people play it. I strongly believe that players should be drawn into a game and get time to figure out the controls.

Quote: "First time seeing platform game level with no pattern on the platforms; not a bad thing, just something different that I noticed."

I am trying to make the levels feel as different as possible. The power of a good editor is that levels are quick to make and edit. Which really helps with level design.

Quote: "I get a program hault when I replay the level in the Windows version. It just pauses when I finish the level with the music still playing. No buttons work or anything, but I picked world map in the menu to exit the level anyway."

So this is only when replaying? Very strange, I wonder what's causing it. Normally, hitting space or enter, or clicking the mouse should exit it. Will take a look.

Quote: "The level up screen looks alright. It could be argued that the gold UI is actually yellow; might want to drop the green a little in the color channel; if I remember correctly you wanted it to look golden."

I think you are referring to the shop text. Gold is commonly quite yellow in games. It makes it look brighter. Colors also differs between screens. I might still experiment a bit with it.

Quote: "Would be nice to be able to click the white arrows as well as keypress them; but you might have a good reason not to."

With the mouse you can just click and drag the map (it's on the 2nd sign). I did have them clickable once but since dragging the map was so much easier and faster, I removed this. Also limited in space for the bottom arrow due to the buttons.

Quote: "I can't help imagine what the levels would look like with a bit of animation, some of it synchronized with the music; and a bit of particle effects here and there. But the way it is may be your taste, and it looks good."

Adding something like that would require a lot of time and effort. That's part of the reason for the current design. I'll keep it in mind for a possible future sequel. Maybe then I have an artist to work with, as well as custom made music.

Quote: "I played up to the pathway near the river; must be getting on with my own game work now. Next time I will try to video my rush to adventure game footage."

Since the game is non linear I don't know if you played 1 level or 6. Yes, you only need to play the first level to be able to go to that screen. Your progress is saved and you can continue were you left off. If you play through the first 6 levels (collected most coins and killed most monsters) you should be level 5 and can also afford the broad sword

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 12:46 Edited at: 14th Oct 2013 12:48
Do the levels indicate their names on the UI; I can't remember?

It was actually the level up screen I was talking about; where you select either stamina, speed or one of the other skill upgrades.

I didn't realize you could drag the map with the mouse.

I do not know anything about AGK; wouldn't a swap image reference every few seconds provide simple animation for instance, something to make the water waves move? Does AppGameKit feature image masking (or clipping); could the UV cordinates be scrolled? Anyway you seem confident in the static style you are using, will play some more when I get some time.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 13:20
Quote: "Do the levels indicate their names on the UI; I can't remember?"

The levels are numbered. The scoring screen indicates the number the the difficulty.

Quote: "It was actually the level up screen I was talking about; where you select either stamina, speed or one of the other skill upgrades."

Yeah, but the only time I've mentioned gold recently was when talking about the text color for the shops

Quote: "I didn't realize you could drag the map with the mouse."

It's useful to read the signs

Quote: "I do not know anything about AGK; wouldn't a swap image reference every few seconds provide simple animation for instance, something to make the water waves move? Does AppGameKit feature image masking (or clipping); could the UV cordinates be scrolled? Anyway you seem confident in the static style you are using, will play some more when I get some time."

There are many solutions for this and AppGameKit have excellent sprite animation commands. For example the water in the into is animated and of course the hero and all enemies are animated. The problem comes to altering the existing code to work with animations. If I had planned it from the start it would have been a whole different thing. Also, animations for such low resolution graphics is hard to do well. It's likely to look choppy. Animations do look nice and makes levels more alive but for me, right now, it's too much work.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 15:20
OK point taken

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 18:58
Quote: " You can change the keyboard controls in options"

I guess I should have looked for it first

I played a bit more, this time using a controller. Every time I play it I get the feeling that it is a verry solid game and I really enjoyed it this time aswell. The gameplay is a lot of fun and as others have said the level of progression feels just right. The music and sounds fits verry well with the game aswell (maybe something I should add to my game sometime soon )

I did find one bug with the options menu where using the "B" button to go back dosn't resume the game properly and I ended up having to restart the game. Also, the little controll hints at the bottom of the screen are pretty unclear and it took a while before I figgured out what they were.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 19:40
Quote: "I played a bit more, this time using a controller. Every time I play it I get the feeling that it is a verry solid game and I really enjoyed it this time aswell. The gameplay is a lot of fun and as others have said the level of progression feels just right. The music and sounds fits verry well with the game aswell (maybe something I should add to my game sometime soon )"

Thanks Good to hear this from others so it's not just me.

Quote: "I did find one bug with the options menu where using the "B" button to go back dosn't resume the game properly and I ended up having to restart the game. Also, the little controll hints at the bottom of the screen are pretty unclear and it took a while before I figgured out what they were."

Good find on the bug. I managed to replicate it instantly. The icons on the buttons were made that way to work for both the 360 controller and the OUYA controller. Not too hard to improve on I guess.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 21:20 Edited at: 14th Oct 2013 21:22
I got the fanfare from Chris, with a bonus background track for the level up screen Both will be added to the next version.

The Zoq2:
The menu bug was due to me changing the name of the menu from Settings to Options and it wasn't updated for the back button. Will be fixed in the next version.

Chris Tate:
Quote: "I get a program hault when I replay the level in the Windows version. It just pauses when I finish the level with the music still playing. No buttons work or anything, but I picked world map in the menu to exit the level anyway."

Can you tell me what to do to replicate this bug? I have tried but so far nothing.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 22:38
I tried to play on Insane and it was really difficult. The energy drain on the sword is a bit too severe. I will lower this, still higher than on hard.

I also just tried to S-rank every level on Hard. I've managed to do it on all levels but the tower. You need to shave off 2 seconds on my time to get it and I'm not sure it's even possible. If you want to try it, it's currently at 8110 points. So, I'm thinking about a good way to make the ranks automatically adjust for hard and insane.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 22:51
I played Demo 4 over the weekend and I really like it.

Minor qibbles first:

I found the music annoying (glad I could turn it off).

The "shooooshing" sound effect when scrolling the map was a little too loud compared to the other sounds.

I think the backdrops could do with a little something more but I don't know what. Maybe some clouds when using the blue sky background. I don't know.

Ok, things that I like:

My overall reaction was feeling like I was playing a well designed game.

The over world map is good and I like they way the player interacts with it and that you just tap whatever you want to look at.

The levels that I played were enjoyable (I haven't completed the dungeon or tower levels). The default controls work really well on my 7" tablet.

I like the art style and the colours. It looks well thought out and designed. Sometimes this style can look amateurish, rushed and or cheap but this doesn't. It looks good.

Quote: "Not everybody likes retro"

If you try to please everyone you'll probably end up pleasing no-one.

Hope this gets finished.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2013 23:27 Edited at: 14th Oct 2013 23:27
Quote: "I found the music annoying (glad I could turn it off). "

You're not the only one, but I really love it. Even listen to it while I code or just let my phone or OUYA play at some point in the game

Quote: "The "shooooshing" sound effect when scrolling the map was a little too loud compared to the other sounds."

I've been thinking about going through some sounds and alter the volume. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote: "I think the backdrops could do with a little something more but I don't know what. Maybe some clouds when using the blue sky background. I don't know."

I know, I have thought about it a thousand times. Clouds of course would be the easiest one to add. Would kill the FPS on OUYA though since I can't change the frame buffer or render to a smaller image until AppGameKit v2. I might add at least some clouds in the full Alpha.

Quote: "Ok, things that I like:"

Thank you It's good to know I'm doing things right.

Quote: "If you try to please everyone you'll probably end up pleasing no-one."

Yeah, that is so true. That's why focus group designed games always fail. I am working on a game that I love and hope that it shows. I think that's the best way of doing it.

Quote: "Hope this gets finished."

Make sure you download the Pre-Alpha, sneak release a few posts back

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 02:37
Quote: ""I get a program hault when I replay the level in the Windows version. It just pauses when I finish the level with the music still playing. No buttons work or anything, but I picked world map in the menu to exit the level anyway."
Can you tell me what to do to replicate this bug? I have tried but so far nothing."

I experienced the issue after playing level one; then playing level one once again - do not ask my why I played the level again . Anyway after playing it again, when I walked to the right edge of the end of the level, instead of the level completing itself; it just did nothing but continuously play the level music, until I clicked to exit back to the world. It might not even be an error, I may be interpreting a game mechanic as a mistake; let me know how it goes.

I also believe in making the game you want to play; good point about not pleasing everyone, that is why we have game genres and sub-genres, so people can identify what appeals to them.

I think the music is good; it sounds like it can be played on a mini-speaker, phone or on a 5.1 surround sound system without sounding bad; although with '8 bit' retro sound the volume tends to be better turned down; I used to turn down the volume of all my old time NES, SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, amiga and commodore 64 games back in the day because '8 bit' don't sound good loud; so it is no surprise here.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 06:51
Looks good DigAw. I played it a bit last night, and a bit this morning and have a few comments. I understand it's in pre-alpha, so take what you will from these! It's a bit of a mind-dump, so bear with me.

I set it up to play with a controller (Wii Classic), and it worked fine.

I like the game. It has a cool groove, and already feels polished in many ways. The screen transitions are really good, and the whole UI experience feels tight. Love the opening screen, and when the music and "Rush to Adventure" logo hits, I got a bit of a shiver. The visuals are clean, but they could use a bit more life, IMHO. Animated sprites would go a long way to making it feel more alive and inviting. You've mentioned the code architecture as inhibiting that, however. The audio is good, especially the music. SFXR is a sweet tool, glad to see it used The music could use a little less melody in places. Too much melody gets tiring, and hence annoying some people. Larger sections of just the chord progressions would make it easier as backing music.

Bugs:
- In village panel, when you select the "!" over the elder's house, the word "Forrest" is misspelt. Should be forest.
- I had a random bug where the elder's text didn't fully dissapear, and was a very transparent overlay the whole time after that. I couldn't replicate it, but it might have been a problem with how I set up my controller, as the software I used (JoyToKey) made things screw up a bit. I think that was an issue of JoyToKey's making, however.

Suggestions:
- On the level up screen, there is no identifier for what you have selected, besides the audio. A little visual effect would make it more obvious, and a lot of people play mobile games without sound.
- The jump is pretty floaty at the moment. This is more a personal thing, as I perfer a nice tight jump like SMB3 or Eversion.
- A bit more movement in the sprites. Things like the coins bobbing/rotating, grass swaying, water, etc, all add to the life of the world. Others have already mentioned it, and you have said it's a problem with the way you have coded it, so I guess it's been addressed.
- The dude's animation could be a little more expressive. Currently, there is little weight to any of his actions (attack, jump). A bit of anticipation/follow-through would work wonders.

Overall, love it. I am looking forward to the alpha, and would LOVE to try making a few levels in your editor!

One other thing - what is the time to beat on each level to get the highest rank?

Greenlig

ZacDuff.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 21:15
Regarding animations. I've pondered on this today and I guess it wouldn't be to hard to load a separate image for those tiles that are animated, then have AppGameKit handle the animation. I'll look into this for the Alpha.

Chris Tate:
Quote: "I experienced the issue after playing level one; then playing level one once again"

I cannot replicate this. The level should end as soon as you exit the screen to the right. Really weird. Have you experienced this more than once?

greenlig:
Quote: "I like the game. It has a cool groove, and already feels polished in many ways."

Thank you

Quote: "Love the opening screen, and when the music and "Rush to Adventure" logo hits, I got a bit of a shiver."

So it's not just me then I made the intro before adding the music and it just fit right on with timing and everything.

Quote: "The music could use a little less melody in places. Too much melody gets tiring, and hence annoying some people. Larger sections of just the chord progressions would make it easier as backing music."

The music is already made and Chris doesn't have the original files. So it's take it or leave it. And it would be very hard to find better music.

Quote: ""Forrest" is misspelt. Should be forest."

Another r sneaking in there. Not the first time

Quote: "I think that was an issue of JoyToKey's making, however."

Weird, the loop should insure that the overlay is turned off before you get back to the world map. I don't think I can do anything about this. Clicking on the ! again should fix it.

Quote: "On the level up screen, there is no identifier for what you have selected, besides the audio. A little visual effect would make it more obvious, and a lot of people play mobile games without sound. "

I have thought about this. Will see if it makes it into the Pre-Alpha

Quote: "The jump is pretty floaty at the moment. This is more a personal thing, as I perfer a nice tight jump like SMB3 or Eversion."

Isn't it kind of floaty in SMB3? Jumps are really hard to get right. I also have some collision problems if anything moves too fast and the FPS is too low.

Quote: "The dude's animation could be a little more expressive. Currently, there is little weight to any of his actions (attack, jump). A bit of anticipation/follow-through would work wonders."

You mean adding more frames? I want the controls to be instant/twitchy, as was common in many older games.

Quote: "Overall, love it. I am looking forward to the alpha, and would LOVE to try making a few levels in your editor! "

Thanks The current plan is to release the new editor with the PC/Mac version. Possibly making a tablet version as well. I'm also thinking about cross-platform online level sharing. Possibly as a crowd fund stretch goal as it would require some time to do.

Quote: "One other thing - what is the time to beat on each level to get the highest rank?"

I can dig up the the scores to beat:
1. 3590
2. 3430
3. 5100
4. 6560
5. 6960
6. 4760
7. 8110
I plan to lower the scores for Hard and Insane

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2013 22:54 Edited at: 17th Oct 2013 22:55

I have made what I hope are final changes to this release. The bugs I cannot replicate, I cannot fix. As for more clear buttons on the map, I decided to do that in the next version. Here are the download links again.

Windows version

Android/OUYA version

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 00:05
I have posted this game on TIGsource and the OUYA dev form. Let's hope for some positive feedback!

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 18:01
I have spent about 3 hours today speedrunning the game. Love it so much.

ZacDuff.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 19:43
Quote: "I have spent about 3 hours today speedrunning the game. Love it so much."

Sweet Have you S-ranked hard yet? That tower level is a bit tricky. I can easily play it all the way killing the red shooter, then I tend to make mistakes here and there. But I've done it once

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 04:28
I haven't...yet! I was testing it on my girlfriend's tablet last night, but I found the touch controls hard to get good times with, so I switched to the keyboard. I'm trying to work out stategies for moving/killing without any slowdown, so far just playing the bottom three levels over and over. Dude, this game is addictive. In fact...I'm going to have a play now...

ZacDuff.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 09:46
Thanks for the Tweet

The touch controls takes a lot longer to get used to. I S-ranked Hard on my phone yesterday so it's not impossible. But I've been playing this game on my phone for a very long time. With practice they should be as effective as a controller. Of course using a keyboard is the fastest input option as you get a finger for each key. Sure you can do that on a tablet too but it doesn't sound optimal. Insane is a whole different beast. It's my current goal to S-rank every level, just so I know if it's possible or not.

Quote: "Dude, this game is addictive. In fact...I'm going to have a play now..."

Thanks! That's great to hear

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 14:41
So there is actually an S-rank for each level? I get A's on each level, but I've not yet encountered an S? Currently trying it on Insane, getting there slowly.

ZacDuff.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 15:34 Edited at: 19th Oct 2013 15:40
Yes, to get an S-rank you beat the scores I posted earlier. Actually, with the latest version this requirement is lowered for hard and insane based on the amount of total experience for that level. The scores are based on perfect runs on Normal on keyboard with 2-3 seconds to spare. A perfect run is: kill all monsters, collect all coins and take no damage.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 17:51
I think I found a pretty weird bug, I was trying to get an S rank on the first level and decided to check the equipment bonus with the old sword. But it seems like when I equiped the bad sword, the good one dissapeared...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 19:03
Yeah, I have noticed today that there's a problem with the broad sword and saving. Basically it disappears from the inventory and can't be selected.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2013 20:59
Yep, that's the same bug I was talking about

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 19:17 Edited at: 20th Oct 2013 19:18
Both download links have now been updated. The new versions have 3 bugfixes:

1. The Broad Sword is now properly read from the save file. Previously it would disappear from the inventory after restarting the game. If it's equipped you can still use it but it can no longer be selected. If you have bought it already you need to delete the save file (from the options menu) and start the game over.

2. On Insane, you can now attack immediately when the hero turns unexhausted.

3. If you hit menu when you land into water etc. and exit back to the World Map. The game no longer transports you to where you were last time when playing the level again.

Now I'm off to try to S-rank every level on Insane.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 13:00
I played a short game today before work; I encountered an problem where the overview map had a blank screen as shown in the attached screenshot. I reboot of my PC appeared to fixed the problem. I do not know what caused it.

I uploaded some footage of the gameplay; some of the UI elements may seem flickery towards the end; that is just a screen capturing issue, it does not flicker like that during gameplay. Do not ask me why no sound was captured; I am looking into why my sound driver isn't capturing audio.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 11:01
Chris:
I think you forgot to attach the screenshot

It sounds like you were capturing the wrong channel. Like you got it set to microphone or line in. It should be something like wave out I think. Depending on your capturing software.

I think it's the low FPS but the game looks a bit strange. Like the jump looks more like a short flight, very floaty. It doesn't look like that when I play.

I should capture a video myself not sure what capturing program I should use or if my laptop has enough power.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 19:09 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 19:27
DA, I just played RTA all the way through, really liked it! It's very well polished...

It looks like you may be using EnableClearColor(). I'm not sure if you are aware, but this causes unexpected behaviour on some devices... My Galaxy S4 for example, creates like a duplicate image on the left/right edge. Take a look at this screenshot, you'll see what I mean...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:55:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:55:51