Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [STICKY] DarkGDK 2.0 Public Release Candidate - Introduction and free download information

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 00:37 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 16:32

You can download the most recent version at http://darkgdk.com by registering for an account. The DarkGDK release candidate will appear under the "My Products" tab of your account page.

C++ users: If you are having trouble with the latest release, try running the uninstaller which will clear out any old, possibly conflicting .h/.cpp files. Then reinstall and try again.

Changelog:

Quote: "DarkGDK 2.0 Release Candidate 3
-------------------
Bug fixes:
- The installer now correctly copies the headers for InitDarkGDK to the application data path as expected.
- Renamed dbLightExist to dbIsLight to be consistent with the other command renaming in beta 7.
- Fixed a bug where dbSetCameraToImage was using the wrong function export.
- tgcauth.exe will now unhide the fields to allow you to license another plugin when clicking on the 'back' button.
- dbSetCameraToImage is now correctly evaluating its 'D3DFormat' parameter.
- Added missing command SC_Start to (Sparky's) DBP Collision plugin.
- Fixed a bug where dbPlayObject and dbLoopObject were evaluating an internal check on every call which should only have been done once.

Updates:
- Added include guards to simpleWindow.h and split simpleWindow.h and initDarkGDK.h definitions into their respective .cpp files. C++ users, update your projects accordingly by adding initDarkGDK.cpp and simpleWindow.cpp along with the updated headers.
- Updated documentation help entry for dbKeyState with the updated url from MSDN; also fixed the link so that it is now clickable.
- Renamed dbSetGlobalObjectCreationMode to dbSetObjectCreationFlags, modified its acceptable values, and clarified the documentation regarding its behavior. Please update your code accordingly.
- Added icons to various files."

Feature highlights:

All of DBP compressed down into a single DLL
Engine customization; basic 3D in less than 800 KB!
Future support is anticipated for additional programming languages.
Language agnostic interface; all exports are C function calls
Internal multithreading support. Go thread crazy!
Enhanced commands including true support for structured parameters
Potential support for rendering in a web browser
Rewritten, extremely fast 3D math library
Improved documentation for all DarkBasic Professional commands
Superior runtime error support that is thread-aware
Easy to use command line tools for automated compiling
Plugin-based parser. Adding support for your own language is a breeze!

Projects supported by DarkGDK out of the box:

Visual Studio 2010
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio .NET 2003
Visual Studio .NET
Visual Studio 6
GNU make/GCC g++
Nmake/VC++
PureBasic 4

This list is not finite! DarkGDK will "just work" with any standards-compliant C++ compiler. This includes any version of Visual Studio Express, g++, Borland, Watcom, Intel, Comeau, etc.

The new engine is extremely lightweight and highly customizable. And best of all, it's fully compatible with DBP's plugins. Now you can enjoy the power of DarkBasic Professional from your favorite language. And if you have multiple favorites-- no problem!

Program using your favorite IDE. Any IDE. Any language!

DarkGDK: Project Setup in Visual Studio 2008

Screenshot of DarkGDK and the PureBasic IDE:

Screenshot of DarkGDK and the Qt Creator C++ IDE:

Here is a video of a C++ example project being run and debugged from the Qt Creator IDE. It also demos the flexibility of DarkGDK by compiling from a UNIX (cygwin) command line using Make and the GNU g++ compiler. It should work with most any C/C++ compiler.

http://darkgdk.com/files/upload/TGCForum/pgdk_cpp_demo_xvid.avi

Brand new language-specific documentation!

Here is a screenshot of the DarkGDK documentation for a comparison:

The documentation is in the excellent .chm format with an index and full text search.

All source code and templates for the documentation builder will be available in the SDK for you to help extend the existing docs and also for you to apply to your own projects if you like.

Many of the commands have been renamed for clarity and others have had their parameters reordered to support default parameters and function polymorphism.

Here is an example of a function which will have its parameters reordered for automatic ID allocation:

Quote: "
dbLoadSound(string fileName [, int soundID])"

The "soundID" parameter is optional and therefore appears at the end of the function. If no ID is specified, one will be returned as the result.

For functions which take advantage of default parameters, the header might look like this:

dbLoadSound(string fileName, int soundID = -1)"

And for others which use function polymorphism, for example:

dbLoadSound(string fileName)
dbLoadSound(string fileName, int soundID)"

Another example where a command might be different is "dbSetDisplayMode".

In DarkGDK you can use these commands to change the resolution:

void dbSetDisplayMode (int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth)
bool dbSetDisplayModeEx(int iWidth, int iHeight)
bool dbSetDisplayModeEx(int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth)
bool dbSetDisplayModeEx(int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth, int iMode)
bool dbSetDisplayModeEx(int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth, int iMode, int iVertexProcessing)
bool dbSetDisplayModeEx(int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth, int iMode, int iVertexProcessing, int iLockable)
bool dbSetDisplayModeVSync(int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth, int iVSyncOn)
bool dbSetDisplayModeAntialias (int iWidth, int iHeight, int iDepth, int iVSyncOn, int iMultisamplingFactor, int iMultimonitorMode)"

In DarkGDK the same command with optional parameters is:

dbSetDisplayMode(int width, int height[, int depth [, int vSync [, int multiSampling [, int multiMonitor [, int backBufferWidth [, int backBufferHeight [, int vrMode]]]]]]])"

In this function each parameter after width and height can be optionally specified.

DarkGDK has built-in support for multithreading by providing function-level critical sections for your convenience behind the scenes as well as thread-aware error handling. Each function can have several possible error codes which can be detected are caught at runtime for you to examine and respond to.

For example, dbMakeMatrix() can throw any of the following errors for you to catch with dbGetLastError():

kGDK_Error_3D_Matrix_ID_Invalid
kGDK_Error_3D_Matrix_Exists
kGDK_Error_3D_Matrix_Segment_Invalid
kGDK_Error_3D_Matrix_Dimension_Invalid
kGDK_Error_3D_Matrix_Too_Large"

dbGetLastError() will return the last error to occur in the current thread. It can safely and accurately be used across multiple threads.

Never have to use a vector or matrix "ID" again! DarkGDK supports vector and matrix datatypes as structures. This means that you can access any part of this data and they can be written to and read from memory:

How to write a library builder plugin for your language:

The library builder (buildlibs.exe) tool handles all of the template parsing for you and will automatically compile headers for any language which has a plugin to generate it.

Command line parameters for buildlibs.exe are:

Here is the source code for gdk_purebasic.dll. This plugin has been written in C++. The code should be fairly easy to read but I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. The "Version 1" specification may change between now and the final release:

Version 1 Plugin Specification:

How to run the examples:

The DarkGDK installer should automatically generate header files as well as build a complete engine .dll from all of the DarkBasic Professional core libraries. If you need to generate these files again, there are batch files to automate the process in the DarkGDK install directory.

If you cannot run the examples for some reason, try to generate the headers and the engine .dll again using these batch files. If they do not report a success then please submit a report on this board as a bug.

All examples located in the install directory under the examples folder should compile out of the box without modification.

One major difference you must be aware of is that DarkGDK does NOT use "DarkGDK()/LoopGDK()". It can use whatever entry point you want, be it main(), WinMain(), _tWinMain(), etc:

Unlike DBP and DarkGDK 1.0, in DarkGDK 2.0, the renderable area is separate from the actual window. As you can see from this example code, dbOpenScreen accepts a target window handle "hWnd" which tells it where to render the output. This allows DarkGDK to render to "any" window owned by the process and is not limited to any one implementation.

For example, you can use DarkGDK with GLUT, Qt, Win32, wxWidgets, etc.

There are a lot of changes compared to DBP and the old DarkGDK. It is not targeted as being 1:1 compatible with older releases of DarkGDK and there will be growing pains while you encounter the differences. However, the idea behind DarkGDK 2.0 is to bring evolution to the engine to streamline it and in the end make it easier to use as well as being portable to other languages.

Don't forget! DarkGDK is also compatible with all DarkBasic Professional plugins and includes many headers to provide support out-of-the-box. An SDK is also provided which allows anyone to add support for additional languages!!

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Reserved.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 16th May 2012 09:04
WOW FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\\

but do i have to purchase it or can i use it for free for unlimited time?
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Holy hell this is a large update, all sorts of cool new features! Any ideas on the release timeframe?
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 14:41 Edited at: 16th May 2012 14:41
edit: double post sorry
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but do i have to purchase it or can i use it for free for unlimited time?"

It's free for download while in beta. Go try it now!

Quote: "Any ideas on the release timeframe?"

It's out right now. Go register an account and download it from http://darkgdk.com!

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just downloaded it, really looking forward to testing out how fast it is. DarkGDK needed a dedicated developer! When I can scrape the money together, I will definitely pay for the full version.

Has PureDGK been rebranded as DarkGDK then?
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Has PureDGK been rebranded as DarkGDK then? "

Yes.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + PureGDK 2.0
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 23:38
I can't seem to download it, I get around 10Mb downloaded (while the file is stated to be ~92Mb in size) after which the download terminates.
This seems to coincide with the session on your website timing out, was wondering if there is anything to that?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
When I migrated everything to DarkGDK.com I also moved to a new hosting service which is causing connection issues. I am currently working on resolving this problem as quickly as possible.

In the interim, the website service may go down while changes are in progress.

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DarkGDK supports only the full screen windowed method of creating full screen applications. Full screen exclusive mode is not supported by DarkGDK.
"

!!! why?? planned in the final version I hope !! without this i dont think use GDK 2.0

otherwise i join a test with Launcher Box
Of course the Fullscreen box don't work

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "!!! why?? planned in the final version I hope !! without this i dont think use GDK 2.0"

Full screen exclusive move is not supported. This is an archaic relic of the past which was previously necessary due to memory constraints with video memory.

You can still run an application in full screen and adjust the user's resolution as necessary.

Please read the documentation before jumping to conclusions:

How to > Basics for C++ > Fundamentals > How to change the resolution

silken
Years of Service
User Offline
ok sorry, I did not understand to play with the Windows Style for have a full screen windowed
s_i
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 23:46
@ Mistrel
Does Dark Dynamix works with new version of DarkGDK (i.e. DarkGDK 2.0) ?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does Dark Dynamix works with new version of DarkGDK (i.e. DarkGDK 2.0) ?"

The next release candidate will support this plugin.

Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 23:21 Edited at: 22nd May 2012 23:31
silken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 18:58 Edited at: 26th May 2012 19:03
Hi again,

I have a prob With :

void dbSetCameraToImage ( int cameraID, int imageID, int width, int height [, int generateAlphaMode [, int d3DFormat]] )

when D3Dformat is set, the image seem to be not created..(GDK 2.0 RC2)

Anyone have this probleme, Becaus I would Like to use D3DFORMAT for Shader

thx
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "when D3Dformat is set, the image seem to be not created..(GDK 2.0 RC2)"

You're right. There was a typo where dbSetCameraToImage was using the wrong export for this function. This has been fixed for the next beta.

Thank you for your report!

ravensan
Years of Service
User Offline
I installed DarkGDK 2.0 rc 2 on a windows 7 (32bit) with Vc++ express 2005,
VS express 2008, and VS express 2010 installed and didn't get an
entry in the start menu. Almost like it just skipped that step.

Hope that helps!

"imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstien.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no entry for "Start > All Programs > DarkGDK"?

This is the first I've heard of it. Did you choose any other options other than the defaults during the install?

ravensan
Years of Service
User Offline
correct.

I've reinstalled again, all the default settings again. and ran the the C:\Program Files\DarkGDK\engine\tgcauth.exe for each of my licensed plugins. (one execution per pluging... it would be nice to be able to run the program one and enter in all the codes in a loop so you don't have to keep executing it...but that's not too important, most people don't have to rip and reinstall more that once a year anyways.)

the program files> darkgdk> compile headers.bat also opens about 6 windows to program data> darkgdk>.

I've also noticed some "empty" html files. (there is nothing in them, not even an html tag when opened with notpad).

I can send you the info on my system if that would help.

Thanks!

"imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstien.
mrwarp
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a problem with the DarkGDK website? I try to login but says "incorrect username or password". If I try to do a recover password, it tells me that username doesn't exist. If I try to create a new login, no matter what email I use, it tells me that email already exists.
DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2012 21:06
Mistrel, Is GDK 2 faster than the original?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 15:52
So I tried to purchase this today.
However, your paypal service is apparently discriminating me because I don't live in the USA (it prompts me to enter a "valid city/state" combination). I don't think making something up is wise when it comes to money transfers...

Also, how about supplying some other option to paypal?
Skrill for instance always works a lot better for me than the afforementioned service.. *hint*.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 16:12 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 16:13
Quote: "However, your paypal service is apparently discriminating me because I don't live in the USA (it prompts me to enter a "valid city/state" combination). I don't think making something up is wise when it comes to money transfers..."

What are you trying to enter that's giving you trouble? Would you mind sending me an e-mail with the information?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 17:26 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 17:27
For one thing I can't enter my last name which contains the letter 'ö'. But that's on the previous page (before the actual paypal section); I'm quite used to that and tend to just type an O instead. I don't think that should result in any problems. (The PayPal form itself supports such special characters by the way).

As you can see it requires a state to be selected (AA is in the box currently; I tried not choosing any and that didn't work either). Since Stockholm is obviously not a town in any of the states in the drop down list it doesn't approve.

The phone number error is probably just due to incorrect formatting and hence not relevant.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Since Stockholm is obviously not a town in any of the states in the drop down list it doesn't approve."

Did you select your country at the top of the form?

GMS0012
Years of Service
User Offline
does this work with PureBasic 4.61?
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2012 12:37 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2012 12:38
Quote: "does this work with PureBasic 4.61?"

It's a dynamically linked wrapper, so yes it should be compatible with 4.61. I haven't yet migrated to the latest PB but as far as I know Fred (lead PureBasic developer) has not introduced any ground breaking changes in the way DLL's are accessed. Have fun!

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.60 + DarkGDK 2.0
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2012 20:09
Quote: "Did you select your country at the top of the form?"

Can't believe I missed that field.
Four times.

Well, thanks for pointing that out anyway and my apologies for taking your time with such a ridiculous issue x)

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 06:51 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 08:02
if you paid for dark gdk do you have to pay for this too. If you had box2d in it making it more compatible with agk I would bought it already.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps.
Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase.
Veterian for the military.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 08:05 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2012 08:06
Quote: "if you paid for dark gdk do you have to pay for this too. If you had box2d in it making it more compatible with agk I would bought it already."

DarkGDK 1.0 commercial users will be entitled to a free upgrade on release.

Box2D is already supported out-of-the-box.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 05:45 Edited at: 6th Jun 2012 18:00
DarkGDK 1.0 commercial users will be entitled to a free upgrade on release.
"

If I buy "Dark Game Studio" Bonanza pack which contains Dark GDK 1.0 - does it entitle me for a free upgrade to Dark GDK 2.0 ?
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 13:10
site "darkgdk.com" - doesn't work!!!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 23:00
Sounds pretty awesome, I was pretty eager to test this out and the set up process seems simpler than the standard GDK set up, but sadly I did come across this error when I followed the set up in the help documents for VS2010 (and watched the set up video for 2008 as well) and when I tried to run some of the samples.

Quote: "1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'DarkSDK.lib'"

Unfortunately I'm not really that experienced with C++ and am a C# user normally, so I wouldn't know where to begin in sussing this out. I am using Visual Studio 2010 Express.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'DarkSDK.lib"

This is not a DarkGDK 2.0 error as there is no such file DarkSDK.lib. You're most likely attempting to either mix DarkGDK 1.0 with 2.0 or something is configured improperly in your IDE.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 00:25
It might have come from trying to set up Dark GDK 1.0 previously, obviously I've done something wrong.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "site "darkgdk.com" - doesn't work!!!"

If you're still having this problem, I had the same one. It seems my dns server has a problem resolving it without the www. before it.

Using www.darkgdk.com should work.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Triadian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 01:30
hi im trying to convert some Dark GDK v1 source into v2
it uses the AAText Plugin found @ http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=145832&b=22

i switched out the old include for the new one but when it compiles it gives loads of crazy errors like

anyone point me in the right direction to track down this error ?

Many Thanks
Timber Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried compiling the free RC4 today and was informed that the beta period has expired. I couldn't find anywhere that this would be the case. Will it be updated, or is it paid only now? I was bummed about this as I was just starting to get the feel of everything.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 01:46 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 01:47
Quote: "Will it be updated, or is it paid only now?"

It's free while in RC status. Final will require a purchase. Customers who bought commercial copy of DGDK v1.0 will supposedly get a free upgrade. We're all expecting RC5 now.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Andrew_Neale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 02:15
Can't wait for RC5 myself. I have pretty much my entire game engine ported from DarkBASIC Professional over to C++ and just need the Dark Dynamix support to get it in a matching state. Have had no problems whatsoever so far and I am absolutely loving version 2. Thanks for all the hard work, Mistrel.

Previously TEH_CODERER.
Wana7262
Years of Service
User Offline
is this expired???
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 19:39
yes for now we cannot use RC4 anymore..
need to wait to RC 5 , does anyone knows when RC 5 comes out?

mistrel care to share your thoughts about it?

its kinda sux the wait but we all know its well worth it. so please just hurry up
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 14:40
If I bought it am I supposed to be able to download the full version or is it not released yet? I don't want to wait because the beta runs out. It's been 3 days by the way since I bought DGDK.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 15:09
well beta relese means there is no full version yet.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 15:13
But if I bought it shouldn't I get access to a beta that doesn't expire at least?
Triadian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 15:20
if you bought it - after logging in to darkgdk.com goto http://darkgdk.com/?f=my-account&p=products

you should see 2 products and 2 serial numbers download the correct one (still rc4) and use the correct serial number
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 15:52
That is weird.

It only gives me DarkGDK beta (single-seat license) and it says the Order History is empty. I'm not entirely sure what's going on here...
Triadian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 15:55
when i purchased it i got this email

Quote: "Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your purchase from DarkGDK.com.

Your account has been credited with your purchase. You can download your software at any time by logging into DarkGDK.com and accessing your account from the navigation menu.

If you have any questions regarding your order you can contact support at support@darkgdk.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Support"

maybe check your emails - if not contact them at that email i guess ?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:52:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:52:17