Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The FPSCreator Community Mod - Free, open-source, community developed

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Well after looking at the source everything seems to be covered for the larger maps size and well done to zombie killer for adding the feature.

But like I've said before this feature will crash the engine and its simple to do just fill the map and you crashing in no time.

For this feature to work some things need to be changed because the memory cap is very easy to achieve with a bigger map.

The lightmapping needs to be changed for the larger map size to reduce the extra mapping in memory.

Also with bigger maps the framerate will get hit as well so some speedup tricks need to be done.

Its a nice feature and use it wisely but I feel real time loading is more an option for this feature to work 100%

well done zombie killer

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 05:59 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 09:19
okay I have test this out again and its looking good on my end so far. I have build a level and as blackfox said the build portal takes it time. but the good news is in a build game the loading time is not effected by this. the game will depending on how big level is.I have test this with 100x100x20. next test is characters and collision.

okay the collision is good the characters and weapons work great. so far there is no crashes.

okay I have done another test if you make the layer 10 instead of 20. the build portal will take the same 15s like the old map editor.

100x100x10

so I test it out at 5 layers the build portal.... well lets say what build portal? that how fast it will load your test game.not only it is faster but you will save memory this way as well. with 10 layers I got 574mb with 5 layers 560mb. 100x100x5.

now the bad news. 5L start you at the bottom last layer which we all know fpsc collision on that layer is very bad. another bad thing is tall model will not appear in the game. like 5 layer tall buildings. but the buildings in the urban pack will work just fine.

so all in all the 10L seem to be best way to avoid the long build portal time and save memory.

key point
never use the last always use one layer up from the last layer.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 16:02 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 17:20
now running the the map editor under my other pc which is faster. the build portal with a map of 100x100x20 only takes 20s.so people with a faster pc will not wait long on the building test level.

more good news I tried the map editor back on the other pc but using my mod version of 118 the build portal load at it normal time so it had nothing to do with my faster pc.this is even better for me since I plan to use this mod.100x100x20

also my old map will open without crashing but it will be 40x40.

okay on the right side of the map the collision is bad characters will just move in place.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Muzzles56
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 18:38
Hey there, it's me again

When using the 3rd person script, I cannot make my character shoot. He also cant pick up guns. Help? I cant do ANYTHING a normal player can. cant open doors, shoot, pick up things, jump, etc. Please help, someone
Section 812
Years of Service
User Offline
all of that needs to be scripted and as I have found it doesn't give me a desirable affect. I am working on the code to make the entities arms point in the direction of the camera and use entities current weapon so it will match my second player.

I will share this with TZK when finished.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure how good 3rd person is in this mod but for 3rd person maybe looking at Aegul's Mod be the better option.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 05:04
The current testing release crashes for me at 278: Saving ELE and LGT Files, no matter what level, settings, etc. An error pops up saying that FPSC-Game has stopped responding and crashed. Any ideas why?

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 18:09
@Susysyay

i posted the same thing a page ago so its been noted and responded to im hoping it gets sorted out would like for a bigger map

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Archangel Sirius
Years of Service
User Offline
First and foremost I want to say WOW, what an AMAZING mod! I LOVE it! I'm currently testing out the v2 larger map sizes, had no problems with 140x140x10. Going to test at 200x200x20. Once I find a comfortable medium for the increased size, would it be possible or smart to begin construction of a game using this mod in its current state? I'm using v2 of the mod running FPSC 1.19. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself here.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 01:21 Edited at: 29th Mar 2013 02:57
EDIT: I've updated the mod to the latest FPSC codebase, hopefully fixed the map size crash, added BlackFox's new minimap code and I believe I've fixed the bug that caused maps to use the size they were saved in. Now maps will always use the size you set in FPSC-Mod.ini

I'm back in the saddle and getting to work on test 4 right now.
...and WOW, there's been a fair bit of activity in my absence.

@Section 812 & s4real
Thanks for the info, that and the code BlackFox has sent me for some major improvements on the minimap will help a lot.

@DarkJames
No, it wasn't removed. It's been added into the official updates now so it's no longer on the features list since it's a stock feature.

@Muzzles56
Looks like I've got some more code swimming to do...
By the way, if you are only using the edited FPSC-MapEditor file, it shouldn't matter which FPSC version you are using.
Also, picking up weapons, shooting and all that stuff isn't coded yet. It's only basic third person at this time.

@GreenDixy
Yeah, I forgot to include FPSC-Mod.ini in test 2. Just create a new ini file or copy the one from test 3 and it'll all work.

@Michael X
I'll probably create a settings box for the editor so you can change the size on the fly.

@Susysyay
Yes, I am aware of this, try it with Test 2 instead of test 3. Then it will work, test 3 is really buggy at the moment, in fact it's probably buggier than test 2 is.

@Archangel Sirius
Glad you like the mod. Test 2 is about as stable as the editor is going to get for now, so yeah, I guess you could go ahead with it, I'd recommend waiting for the final release or the next test version (test 4) though.

-TZK

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 05:03
my concern is the right of the map. the collision is bad and the characters will just move in place. that is the only real problem I see with the map editor.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 05:12
@michael x
I believe that was a fix I made in test 3, but I wasn't able to test it due to the other bits of code causing crashes. I'll see if I can port the fix into test 4 when it's ready.

-TZK

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 17:43
okay make sure you test it with a 100x100x20 map with characters. the player move around just fine but the characters get suck in place.I even test it by having the character chase me from the left side of the map and on to the right side. it like a invisible wall is there stopping them from moving.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 01:53
@michael x
That's exactly what the problem is. When the map is built, FPSC makes an invisible wall around it to stop entities from leaving the map area.

-TZK

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 20:47
okay i hope you can fix it. but if not its cool I appreciate your hard work on this. at least it gives us an idea what reload is going to be like. just to see the grid that big it make you think like { wow what to do with all this room} but outside levels would look so much better like there is no end to the level. this makes me want reload even more.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Archangel Sirius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 01:36 Edited at: 5th Apr 2013 06:00
TZK, you said you'd recommend waiting til test 4 at the least. Would the enemies/player collision bugs aforementioned be fixed in that do you know as of yet?
On a side note you said you updated the mod to fix the map size bug so now the map size will always be what it's set to in in the FPSC-Mod.ini. Where can I find said latest mod download link?
Section 812
Years of Service
User Offline
@TZK, I have sent thee electronic mail.

Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 03:13
Any updates? Don't tell me this thread is dead or dying - such potential!

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 11:50
@Susysyay
Technically, the community mod is dead.
I'm currently pouring all my work into LuaMod, which will greatly surpass the possibilities of what you can do with this mod. The community mod (and possibly CorVus mod) will be rewritten as plugins for LuaMod.

So, I guess you can say that it'll soon be alive and kicking, as a plugin.

-TZK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:17:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:17:48