Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Bang! Bang! 2 - Question regarding direction.

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 21:36
That waypoint editor looks useful cool; will be interesting to see what that next game is going to be; all of this stuff has got to so get used!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 21:55
I plan on making an MMORPG with 1 billion players and shaders and million polygon objects and it'll run on a netbook, and I'll make so much money I'll buy Sony.

Only kidding. lol

I plan on making an expandable Sci-Fi RPG, kind of like KOTOR, but a bit more free roaming. Since I've never made a game like this before, I'm going to start with a very simple 'tech demo' level, probably on a smallish spaceship to demonstrate the technology, and if it works out well I'll expand from there.

Start small, aim large!

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 00:52
Sounds really interesting; let it age and become refined like wine over time! Just keep having fun and you can't go wrong.

MMORPG's are alot easier than they used to be with the amount of networking tools out there and there is quite a number of smallish indie MMORPG's making it big recently; bandwidths are much wider and CPUs are more sophisticated; the clients are much more independent than they where 10 years ago.

However, a game does not need to be a MMO to be good; and selling an MMO to players is tough; thing is, it is just a day and age where many hard core gamers with lots of spare time to fill really like investing their time in MMO 'careers'.

Looking forward to seeing the project progress.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 00:20
I was only kidding about it being an mmorpg. It'll be a single player rpg, maybe 2 or 3 player.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 01:04
I know you were kidding; the way I wrote the message looks like I was commending it as being one. I was talking about MMORPGs in general. Peace.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2013 16:04
Ok, Mobiius. I have a big tip for you....actually two:

1. Put a picture in your signature!! This is VERY important! It's free and highly effective advertising within the forum. Also make sure it's a link so people can just click on it. I rarely take the time to read comments and even more rarely bother to go look at another person's project unless it's a clickable picture. People are lazy. Make it easy for them.

2. ALWAYS edit and update the first post of a WIP (or any thread) with new information about the game. So if there's new graphics, make sure that's what people see when they first come to this thread. If there's a new demo, make sure it's on the first post.

Additionally, if you can't make the text you want AND the image fit in the signature with links and everything, use URL shorteners wherever possible. That's what I have to do with my signature.

After that spiel about better marketing techniques, I have to say that your game looks like it could become quite excellent. The only thing is.....the last post here was the 15th of June. That's ages. What happened?

Clonkex

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2013 21:55 Edited at: 26th Jul 2013 21:59
Quote: "What happened?"

What always happens.. I got bored.

I'll continue on with it after I finish my next very quick AppGameKit game. It'll be a humorous quasi-adult whack-a-mole type game, with lost of innuendo. Hoping I make a few sales purely on it's name! (Which will be revealed when it's finished. )

As for your other advice, a picture is doable, and I'm sure the link was clickable once. (There's a link in the signature, but it isn't working...)

I'll get right on it. (Done! (12 edits later! Stupid missing http://))

3D Bang Bang 2, check it out!

My website! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2013 23:42
Nice banner. Why no turret?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 04:23 Edited at: 27th Jul 2013 04:24
Thanks, it was taken from a screenshot of the game.

As for no turret,I don't have a decent enough one yet. Plus it isn't implemented yet. It only fires from the screen, not the player yet. (Needed the UI engine before I can implement the player, go you could choose which player profile to use.)

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 03:41 Edited at: 30th Jul 2013 03:44
I've yet to play the demo (downloading now), but seeing as I'm also looking for feedback on stuff and you are as well, I figured I'd help out. Here we go!!

Your terrain, weather system, shaders all look way above par. In some ways I feel like you may be missing out on an opportunity to use these things effectively. The game itself seems somewhat confusing, I'm not really sure what the game play will be. Am I right if I say it's cannon battles?

(EDIT) Ah, I see it's about controlling the force and angle of the cannon. However, I couldn't run the game I got off your site because I'm missing MSVCR100.dll. Will have to go looking for it.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 04:29
Quote: "What always happens.. I got bored."

Ah, the dreaded lack of enthusiasm. That happens to me far more often than I'd like. Right now I'm having to push myself to continue with something that I know will be exciting later, but right now is utterly boring and slow.

Quote: "(Done! (12 edits later! Stupid missing http://))"

Haha It can be a pain to get right sometimes Much better

Clonkex

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 01:19
Quote: " I couldn't run the game I got off your site because I'm missing MSVCR100.dll."

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know it was a pre-requisite. (It must be needed for a plugin I'm using.)

When it's finished, I'll include all needed dll's when the games installed.

I really need to finish this game.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 03:19
I actually just had the game problem with another game on the WIP board and looked into the dll. It's just part of some Microsoft Visual Studio Redistributable, which you can download off their site here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555. Not sure if it's just me that's missing it or what.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it allowed to put the required dlls in the Archive? I thought they where somewhat protected? Thats the reason why I didn´t put them in my game zip for now.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 16:10 Edited at: 31st Jul 2013 16:19
As far as I know, any program that was created with Visual Studio needs the Redistributable package to be installed before it'll run properly (though if you've installed pretty much any game before there's a fair chance you'll have it already). Since DBPro was written in Visual Studio C++, any games created with it will need the package installed as well.

I might be wrong about that, though.

Clonkex

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 21:50
Indeed

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 15:28
Quote: "Indeed "

Cryptic! lol

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 15:21
Just a few questions But first! The game is looking really good! Hope that you get to finish it some time to I can play ^-^ Anyhow, how did you do the water? And the terrain? What shaders are you using?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 22:43 Edited at: 12th Aug 2013 22:46
The water is an evolved shader, and the terrain is a Green Gandalf shader.

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 23:28
thank you :3 :*

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2013 00:32
No worries.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 21:02
This is pretty cool. I like the vastness of the world and the weather effects.

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 21:43
Thank you. And one day I'll finish it. lol

Quote: " I like the vastness of the "

Believe it or not, I actually reduced the scale by about a quarter as I was getting z-fighting issues which I solved by making the world much smaller.

Quote: "and the weather effects."

Again, thanks. I am quite proud of them, even though I do think they're a little simplistic.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 17:21
Righto, it's been a while since I last posted in this thread.
After a largish delay in working on this, I've decided that I will (yet again) redesign the engine to make it more efficient, as it's all just cobbled together and if I change one thing, something else brakes.

So, I'll be posting new images and progress as I continue the redesign. (Plus I needed to post in this thread so it doesn't become locked..)

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember reading through a programming book somewhere in this world and I recall reading that one of the biggest traps programmers fall into is constantly trying to improve upon a project never getting it finished. They say the best way to go about it is get the basics done however dirty they may be. Then, clean it up. Then add more and so on.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@pictionaryjr
I find myself in that trap all the time! It's so hard to try not improving things

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2013 23:46
It's a never ending struggle between shipping it, and making it work. A struggle I never seem to overcome. Lol

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol They say the best method is to literally get the program working at bare bones. Nothing fancy release then improve. People might not like it from the get go, but seeing a working product is better then seeing no product. Key is just to keep it clean as you go. If you regret something, fix it when you've finished it I'm still in the trap though atm haha
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2013 13:02 Edited at: 18th Sep 2013 13:09
I restarted Sports Fiction about 10 times a few years ago, and nothing got done lol, I wonder why .

The best thing I ever did was not start again, then I ended up with 100,000 lines and 12 shaders.

When you keep going, you get so familiar with your system that anything becomes possible; improvements can be made to the current engine.

I still stuggle to see the point in making a small 3D game with all that talent you have. To me there is no such thing as a seriously fun game created in DBPRO without at least 6 months work, so why should it be basic if it is going to take forever anyway.

How will it keep you motivated if your subconscious knows it is only a small game and so it isn't worth raising any adrenalin or excitement because there is more excitement watching the cricket (not that I dislike cricket).

It is not like it is targeting the mobile market or the web-browser or something. You should make a proper strategy game, RPG or something new, something interesting.

Anyway, so be it. You know what you are doing.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 05:40
Quote: "It's a never ending struggle between shipping it, and making it work. A struggle I never seem to overcome. Lol"

Me too, but I think I've found a balance that lets me get enough work completed without it being horribly un-optimised. In fact, most of my work comes out as well-optimised as it can possibly be, but it takes a long time to finish anything.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 13:04
I optimize last; when I am sure what needs optimizing first!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 13:41
Quote: "I optimize last; when I am sure what needs optimizing first!"

Well I tend to think through every possible outcome before starting a single line of code, which takes forever, but it usually avoids unpleasant surprises half-way through coding complicated stuff It also means I can write well-optimised code first go, and if it's still not fast enough then I can come back and redo bits.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 15:03 Edited at: 19th Sep 2013 15:05
Yeah I am not good at telling whether something slow, is slowest. So I have to wait it until I realize further down the line whether what was slow is significant or the route cause.

Then, on optimization days I work on the biggest bottle necks first, smallest ones last; some bottle necks are so insignificant that I leave them for later. I just do not have the time to work on every issue that creeps up.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 16:04
I don't plan things first, which causes the issues I'm having now. Code which isn't particularly optimised, and doesn't play well with other additions.

I'm now planning things and deciding how I'll implement the various sub-systems so it hopefully works better together.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 15:41
HI

I tried to run but the screen go blank quickly after start up

i figure it's my system ;oP

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 15:23
Wow, didn't expect a reply! lol

Did you get any errors/messages??

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 15:39
@Mobiius

unforchantly nothing shows up :o(

every thing keeps running

i had downloaded graphics example from one of the user on here
but 2 of the examples do not display

i figure my graphics windows drivers are messed up some ware
or windows is broken again and i need to reinstall windows

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 20:22 Edited at: 24th Dec 2013 20:23
You may need to change the display settings in the xml file. Make sure stereoscopic 3d is off, set a resolution you can handle and so on.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 23:27
@Mobious

this is the setting in the xml file

<Settings>
Debug = 0
FullScreen = 0
Resolution 1024, 768, 32
VSync = 0
AAMode = 4
Anisotropy = 16
EnableShaders = 1
ShaderResolution = 256
</Settings>

the original Resolution was smaller than that
but even that things do not show up

from the sound coming out it is working

what other setting or settings do i need to change

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 23:45
@Mobious

ok it seemed after i changed
AAMode to 0 that let things show up

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 13:38
Quote: "i figure it's my system ;oP"

I feel sorry for you, Resourceful, you seem to have issues with every single DBP program you try

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 20:31
@Clonkex

that seems to happen to me
since i have installed soo many program and they conflict some ware

i only have a couple of issues with thing but for the most part
every thing works ;o)

i just have to do work around now and again