Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] PHOBIA 3: Fear of the Unknown

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 02:40 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 13:38

Developer: Jonez Games

Introduction:
You may all be wondering, what is Phobia 2? It's a game that I started working on over three years ago.
There's been multiple different versions of the game ever since, and none of them got finished for one reason or another.
Almost a year ago I started working on it again, and I think it's a hight time to finally announce it again.

Story:
After taking a wrong turn, you find yourself lost, driving for hours without seeing any sign of live.
Eventually out of gas, desperate and in a middle of nowhere, you set on foot and start looking for shelter from the cold.
After wandering in the wilderness, walking past nothing but countless of trees in a freezing wind,
you stumble on an abandoned mansion, what you though would be your salvation.
But later realizing that the mansion isn't as abandoned as you thought,
you start to question about either taking your chances out there in the cold, or the horrors of the house...

Features:
-Lots of complex scripting to make the game feel like a true adventure game.

-Level travel system, allowing player to travel between levels trough loading doors at any time.

-A variety of logical puzzles with complex scripting.

-Customized enemy DarkAI. No getting stuck behind walls. And with random spawns.

-Custom sounds, textures, shaders, etc. From too many hours of work.

-And many more...

Teaser video:

UPDATE 27.12.2013
There has been some changes: Phobia: Fear of The Unknown has now been changed to be the third title in the Phobia series. Phobia 1.5 will now be taking the second place in the series.
Phobia 1.5 is planned to be released very soon. I'm not making a new thread for it, and I'll be using this one for its updates. Read more about it from the second page.
UPDATE 20.1.2014
Phobia 1.5 is now released! See the showcase thread for info and a download link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209611&b=35

Screenshots:

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 02:54
Wow those pictures are beautiful.
PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 03:41
Looks very good, well done.

www.pixeleater.me
Register now to become a reasonably intelligent human being!
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 04:14 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 05:17
Thank you! Added another one.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 07:06
this game looks so beautiful.great work on this hope it will be release.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 07:55
downright gorgeous. couldn't have done it better myself. fantastic job. I am so excited to play this.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 08:30
Quote: "this game looks so beautiful.great work on this hope it will be release."

Thanks! I hope so too.

Quote: "downright gorgeous. couldn't have done it better myself. fantastic job. I am so excited to play this."

Thank you! I've been refining the look of the game for months now, and I think I'm finally starting to get happy of how it looks.

But there's still a lot of work to do, and I can't say when the game is going to be finished.
But I might have something playable here, like some older test versions from the past year that I might give away.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 12:41 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 12:41
I don't like it. It's far better than anything I could do

No, honestly - excellent job, I'm looking forward to playing a demo

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 13:25 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 13:25
Your images burned my eyes out. This is THE MOST IMPRESSIVE game I've seen yet- hands down. I would GLADLY test this game for you and I would LOVE the honor.

I loved Phobia 1 and still praise it as one of my favorite FPSC games. I even got jaded when Markiplier played it and talked it down like trash- I defended your honor alright.

But really, great looking game. I hope my next creation can look half as good.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Escape The Bunker: 1945 - A Much Needed Remake
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 13:32
This looks gorgeous
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 15:04 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 15:11
I'm happy to admit that there is no way I could make better levels.
Especially not this dense in atmosphere. What appears to be too dark in the screenshots is just excellence in the video.

I hope to see this finished and play through it. I am just as impressed as Astek is.

This is the very first game that uses most of FPSC's recent shading techniques in a coherent and good looking way. Quite fantastic.

I am aware that this could be concidered shamless self advertisment but perhaps this pack might interest you. It shares a similar theme

Best luck with your further development. I know FPSC well enough to know that you'll need it

-Wolf

EDIT: Oh! I'm curious: What FPSC Version did you use to cast this sorcery?

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 16:14 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 16:15
Hey there,

count me in to be very impressed with the graphical quality of PHOBIA. The video also makes a very good impression. I couldn't have done this to be honest.

And just like Wolf I can't think of a way to make so good use of the object and segment shaders. I really look forward to get something playable of this between my fingers.

Greetings,
Jan

Canalyst developer! Skype name: thek491
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2013 02:55 Edited at: 28th Oct 2013 07:26
Quote: "I don't like it. It's far better than anything I could do

No, honestly - excellent job, I'm looking forward to playing a demo "

Quote: "Your images burned my eyes out. This is THE MOST IMPRESSIVE game I've seen yet- hands down. I would GLADLY test this game for you and I would LOVE the honor."

Thank you! I hope I can give something playable soon.

Quote: "I loved Phobia 1 and still praise it as one of my favorite FPSC games. I even got jaded when Markiplier played it and talked it down like trash- I defended your honor alright."

Yeah, I have watched quite a few playtroughs of it, and some liked it while some hated it. Which is understandable, as it simply is a badly designed game.

Quote: "But really, great looking game. I hope my next creation can look half as good"

Good luck with your project.

Quote: "This looks gorgeous"

Thanks!

Quote: "I'm happy to admit that there is no way I could make better levels.
Especially not this dense in atmosphere. What appears to be too dark in the screenshots is just excellence in the video."

thanks! The level design shown here was actually mostly made just for the video and the screenshots. They feel unfinished and messy to me, but I think it's enough for now at least. I haven't really worked on the actual level design too much yet.

Quote: "This is the very first game that uses most of FPSC's recent shading techniques in a coherent and good looking way. Quite fantastic."

You wouldn't believe how much time I have spend only on the textures and shaders themselves just to make them look right. They are mostly done, I think. Just some of them need fixing, for example the character shaders(and the character placeholder textures).

Quote: "I am aware that this could be concidered shamless self advertisment but perhaps this pack might interest you. It shares a similar theme

Best luck with your further development. I know FPSC well enough to know that you'll need it"

I take a look at it. Thanks!
EDIT: Wow, that's some fantastic work! I have a feeling I'll be replacing some of the models with these!

Quote: "EDIT: Oh! I'm curious: What FPSC Version did you use to cast this sorcery?"

V119. The V120 doesn't like my teleport system.

Quote: "count me in to be very impressed with the graphical quality of PHOBIA. The video also makes a very good impression. I couldn't have done this to be honest.

And just like Wolf I can't think of a way to make so good use of the object and segment shaders. I really look forward to get something playable of this between my fingers."

Thanks!

Years of Service
User Offline
Trully awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldenye 007 N64
Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking absolutely amazing! I was a huge fan of your original Phobia game and how you managed to make it look great even with all the limitations of FPSC, I myself have tried over and over to get an effect like the ones you have made, but I think I am too much of a perfectionist and keep giving up when FPSC doesn't let me do what I want.

Looking forward to more updates!

P.S. I notice you make some mistakes with your spellings and such, I would love to help you out there (being a native English speaker), also would love to help out with the development in whatever ways I can! We should get in touch!

Incubus thread coming soon...
Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 03:04 Edited at: 29th Oct 2013 10:07
-Double Post-
danieleman
Years of Service
User Offline
Phobia,phobia,phobia .I remember that game ,this game seem incredible and polished game I ever seen for FPSC.I cannot said anything but WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Keep Up A Goodwork

MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD LIKE YOURS.
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 15:19
Quote: "Trully awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks!

Quote: "Looking absolutely amazing! I was a huge fan of your original Phobia game and how you managed to make it look great even with all the limitations of FPSC, I myself have tried over and over to get an effect like the ones you have made, but I think I am too much of a perfectionist and keep giving up when FPSC doesn't let me do what I want."

Yeah, it takes a great amount of time and patience to create something nice in FPSC. It is possible to make good looking games in FPSC, just that the memory limit and performance is the issue.

Quote: "P.S. I notice you make some mistakes with your spellings and such, I would love to help you out there (being a native English speaker), also would love to help out with the development in whatever ways I can! We should get in touch!"

The thing is, I understand English pretty much perfectly. But when writing it, not so much. Spell check would probably be a good thing, at least later when I'm closer to finishing the game.

Quote: "Phobia,phobia,phobia .I remember that game ,this game seem incredible and polished game I ever seen for FPSC.I cannot said anything but WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Keep Up A Goodwork "

Thanks! I'll try.

Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, Jonez I have a couple of useful scripts that you might like, one specifically that would probably be useful for collectible items like keys and stuff or opening doors too, I could give them to you if you like?

Also, may I ask where you get all the assets on your levels? Do you make them yourself?
Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
And, damn I just noticed that you actually created the same effect I did in your video at around 3:40, I have a ui script that works quite well for doors though.
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 17:49
Quote: "Hey, Jonez I have a couple of useful scripts that you might like, one specifically that would probably be useful for collectible items like keys and stuff or opening doors too, I could give them to you if you like?"

What kind of scripts? I think my pick up script works well enough. As for the doors, I'm using a teleport system on them for enemies sake, so I don't know if yours would be compatible with the design.

Quote: "Also, may I ask where you get all the assets on your levels? Do you make them yourself?"

Walls are copied and modified mostly from the stock files. Entities both from model packs and stock ones. Entities, like paintings, carpets, light rays, etc, are re-sized from models like stock sign models, decal models, wall models... Everything re-textured(with custom shader effects), with some textures having even over 10 different textures in them(for example the wall textures, with different versions even). Everything copied and organized in their own folder, with modified text files to have the correct settings.

Quote: "And, damn I just noticed that you actually created the same effect I did in your video at around 3:40, I have a ui script that works quite well for doors though."

What does the script do?

Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What does the script do?"

It's a script to display a hand up when hovering over an interact-able item like a door, or to pick up a key (for which I use a different hand ui).

I played phobia 1 and I noticed sometimes things where a little difficult to work out, so I would have probably applied the script to the items you needed to stack to reach the attic for example. And I have some cool ones for locked doors too (I was going to make a video to show you but fpsc disagreed with dxtory :/).

Looks like from your reply that you have a lot of the problems ironed out though, even so, I would be happy to help you out if you're looking for any new scripts.
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 14:23
Quote: "It's a script to display a hand up when hovering over an interact-able item like a door, or to pick up a key (for which I use a different hand ui).

I played phobia 1 and I noticed sometimes things where a little difficult to work out, so I would have probably applied the script to the items you needed to stack to reach the attic for example. And I have some cool ones for locked doors too (I was going to make a video to show you but fpsc disagreed with dxtory :/).

Looks like from your reply that you have a lot of the problems ironed out though, even so, I would be happy to help you out if you're looking for any new scripts."

I had zero understanding of scripting when I made the first game, but my scripting skills have come a long way from back then. I can make pretty much everything I want happen if it's possible with FPSC. I already have similar scripts in the game you mentioned. You can see them in action in the teaser video.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 15:53
Jonez Games,

Video is Pro. 12 out of 10.

Not sure about a game - but I would love to see the movie!

"You don't see 'im, till 'im come callin"
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 16:35
Quote: "Jonez Games,

Video is Pro. 12 out of 10.

Not sure about a game - but I would love to see the movie!
"

Thank you! It took awhile to make the video, but I still feel like it lacks some details. Not sure if it would work as a movie though. If it was, the budget probably wouldn't be too high actor-wise.

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 16:48 Edited at: 30th Oct 2013 16:50
By the way, I gave an early level test of the game to one YouTuber, who also did a playthrough of the first game. Check out his video of it from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miTpMTk1TIY

Like I said, It's a test level of a very early version of the game. So it doesn't match up with the current graphics, but it gives an idea of what to expect from the puzzles.

Years of Service
User Offline
Man!

Congratulations!!!

I hope some day become so expert in FPSC like you are!!!

I think this is the most impressive game made in FPSC i have ever seen.

Trully, i think that if you place some very good and custom enemies models alongside with custom animations (not the bond1 monsters we already know, althought they are super high quality and professional), but i think you must use 100% custom media, custom models, so your game will look and play outstanding, and trully receive the title of The Best of The Best in FPS Creator!

Cheers,

Goldenye 007 N64
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 22:09
Quote: "I think this is the most impressive game made in FPSC i have ever seen."
Thanks!

Quote: "i think that if you place some very good and custom enemies models alongside with custom animations (not the bond1 monsters we already know, althought they are super high quality and professional)"
Custom enemy models are always nice, but I think I'm happy enough with the current one. With completely remade textures and custom scripts with more animation variety.

Quote: "but i think you must use 100% custom media, custom models, so your game will look and play outstanding, and trully receive the title of The Best of The Best in FPS Creator!"
I don't think it's bad to use stock models here and there, if it fits the game and doesn't look bad. With custom textures of course.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
This game is looking great and well done awesome screenshots.

Quote: "V119. The V120 doesn't like my teleport system."

If you tell me what issues you having and maybe the script you using we could look into why its having the issue.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
cobracon2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 04:16
One word for this work "Stunning". While others are dreaming about reloaded, your showing the best of what FPSC has to offer.
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 05:27
Phenomenal! It looks like a hybrid of Amnesia and Silent Hill. Hope you make a port of this on Reloaded so we get to see bigger levels and more puzzels
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 16:22 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 16:37
Quote: "This game is looking great and well done awesome screenshots."

Thanks!

Quote: "If you tell me what issues you having and maybe the script you using we could look into why its having the issue."

The issue isn't with the script. For some reason the player stands in mid air after the teleport. There was some other issues too that I don't remember at this moment.

Quote: "One word for this work "Stunning". While others are dreaming about reloaded, your showing the best of what FPSC has to offer."

I can't wait for Reloaded either. Already made my gold pledge a month ago.

Quote: "Phenomenal! It looks like a hybrid of Amnesia and Silent Hill. Hope you make a port of this on Reloaded so we get to see bigger levels and more puzzels"

I might switch over to Reloaded if the content I'm using are compatible with it. Higher memory would definitely help, as the memory cap is constantly almost full even with the levels being quite small.

EDIT: Just downloading the first beta version of FPS Creator Reloaded! Can't wait!

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 19:47 Edited at: 31st Oct 2013 19:47
Checking out the Reloaded:

It seems like the FPSC X9 files work fine in Reloaded. At least the two tree models I tried out here.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " as the memory cap is constantly almost full "

Im working on a private mod thats been striped down a lot for speed and don't use as much memory.

If you like to test this mod and have the engine more to your needs for the game then email and let me know.

You don't need to update to v1.20 to use the mod.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 22:53
s4real yeah with the wasp mod it save me a lot of memory and the speed is great to.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 14:54 Edited at: 1st Nov 2013 23:43
As many people have said, FPSC has so many limitations, I think that FPSCR is probably the best chance we have to fix these limitations so we should make the most of the development process to give TGC feedback and address issues so that this project can be the best it can (assuming you will be using FPSCR, which I hope you do)!

I made a post on the new forums with some suggestions for improvements you should get your suggestions on there!

http://fpscreator.thegamecreators.com/forum.php#/discussion/119/acidkats-community-suggestion-thread-important-features-improvements-including-short-summary
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 16:45
Quote: "Im working on a private mod thats been striped down a lot for speed and don't use as much memory.

If you like to test this mod and have the engine more to your needs for the game then email and let me know."

Quote: "s4real yeah with the wasp mod it save me a lot of memory and the speed is great to."

That sounds just like something that I need.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jonez Games :- If you like to send me a link to an alpha off the game I can see how well it runs with the mod.(But this is upto you.)

I'm not going to go into too much what the mod will be about on the forums as its a private mod like I said and only so many people will have it.

It's for people who want to get there old project out and done while waiting for a complete version of reloaded.

So email if you interested if not then I just leave you too it but if you leave it too late your slot will be taken by someone else.

Best s4real

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2013 23:45
Two more shots from Reloaded, then back to the game itself.

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 00:01
@s4real

I sent you an email.

Quote: "If you like to send me a link to an alpha off the game I can see how well it runs with the mod"

Do you mean built version? Can you test it even if it's already built?

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 07:49
wow Jonez Games those pics look nice.man you are good.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2013 07:59
michael x@
Thanks! I can't wait to create something with Reloaded once it's more developed.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "o you mean built version? Can you test it even if it's already built?"

Yes I mean a built version of the game as long as its not packed in any protection software.

Best s4real

Phoenix_Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Two more shots from Reloaded, then back to the game itself."

Those screenshots look amazing, how did you create the dark mountains in the background? Is that an ambient lighting effect, or perhaps a custom texture?
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 05:58
Phoenix_Games@
It's distant fog with a dark blue tone.

Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 03:09
I'm working on something interesting. Something Phobia 2 related. Stay tuned for that.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 12:34
Hey Jonez!

Your game has a lot going for it and I'm really eager to see whats new.
Your video was visually very impressive! However, recent indie titles (p.ex. Doorways) had way too much Amnesia going on in them.
If you want to do an old wolf a favour, don't make it another Amnesia clone. Your game is looking too good for that

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Jonez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 15:49
Wolf@
This definitely isn't going to be another Amnesia clone. It takes inspiration from many games and movies. While Penumbra is strongly still one of them, Amnesia is not in that list.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 03:03
Well. Wow. Just...wow.

Yes, I live in Wisconsin. No, I don't live on a farm.
hukuta94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 15:08 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 15:09
Cool game!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:56:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:56:11