Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NaGaCreMo / NaGaCreMo '14 Sign-Up Thread!

Author
User Banned
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 05:46
So... anybody else going to sign up? It's not too late!

Make your pledge today!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 02:53
I pledge allegiance to the ideas in my head and will endeavour to make them reality.

Procedurally Generated Tree of Life
I want to make a system for generating entire ecosystems procedurally.
PGTOL will be used in games that require wide variety of species and/or an authentic ecosystem. PGTOL is not required to be scientifically accurate to fit this purpose, in fact, one of the greatest challenges of this project is to simplify the complexities of evolution by natural selection so that a sufficiently authentic ecosystem can be created quickly and without massive overheads.
PGTOL will have variable levels of detail. For example, we might see trees of a particular variety on the edge of a forest, moving into the forest will generate more trees of those kinds and other plants that live in the same environment. Looking at any particular plant reveals details common to the species, such as leaf shape, colour, height, all of which may have subtle variations for individual specimens. Examining a leaf may reveal an insect living on it, this requires retroactively generating an insect species that is suited to living on the leaf. Retroactive species generation allows evolutionary/ecological steps to be skipped and filled in as and when required. A vital part of PGTOL is to ensure that interspecies relationships are respected, for example, if we were to cut down this forest we would have to consider how this effects the population size of the leaf-dwelling insect species and any predator species it in turn supports. It then becomes clear that all species are ultimately connected, if we cut down the trees, diminishing the insect population, then we also diminish the bat population who do not have a direct relationship with the trees but feed on insects; so the bats are related to the trees and are directly affected by deforestation even though they are not directly reliant on trees. Being conscious of the interconnectivity of all species allows us to adjust the bat population accordingly after deforestation without having to first adjust the population size of the insects.
Most games don't require that level of interconnectivity and will simply use PGTOL to generate a menagerie of animals and plants to populate worlds.

I'm not currently aiming for any graphical representation of PGTOL, a graphical species generator deserves its own project, but I will try to create data that could be used to seed a graphic generator in future.

I have no idea what I will be able to get done in a month, I might not get to doing any actual coding at all! but I will share whatever I achieve.

Formerly OBese87.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 06:31
I can do this now I've finished my DBP game. So:

I, 29 Games, pledge to make a complete working game by January 31st, 2014

It's going to be done in AppGameKit and it's probably going to be a 3D racing game of some sort. I have a couple of other ideas so I'll try some stuff out over Christmas and see what's achievable.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 03:51
That sounds really cool, Libervurto! Added you to the list!

29 games, sounds like a good plan! I put "AGK 3D Racing Game" in the list for now, but feel free to update me on what it is you'll be making and I'll update as needed!

Can't wait to see what everyone will do!

Make your pledge today!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I, Randomness 128, pledge to make a working demo of a homebrew Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game by January 31st, 2014.

320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 16:06
That wouldn't happen to be Exotreve, would it?

Check me out on Twitter! Read my blog!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Now I really need to work on Exotreve.

320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 18:47
Hahahaha. I'm beginning to think it's a top-secret government application!

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Trust me Randomness is not going to work on it.

_!!!!_
,0~U -Well I do say, its been quite a fancy forum for
__-____TheZachadoodle.________________________________
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Dec 2013 07:34
How supportive of you.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
He's probably right.

320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 04:13
Hey now! Stay positive!

How about this: if you work on Exotreve, I won't happen to knock this penguin off a cliff?

You know, like this...

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 00:07
I, Monk, pledge to make a complete working game/game demo/app/general program by January 31st, 2014
(Undecided as to what yet!)

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 22:03 Edited at: 30th Dec 2013 22:08
Last minute entry woo .

I, BMacZero, pledge to make a complete working game by January 31st, 2014.

I'm making a game as part of my senior thesis for university. I'll be using this as an opportunity to continue working on that and get feedback and encouragement . The game is a multiplayer side-scrolling spaceship shooter with MOBA elements. It's done in HTML5.

I've been working on the engine this quarter and over winter break. Starting in January I'll be recruiting artists and designers from my school's Video Game Development Club to design and create the actual content (ship and weapon choices) for the game.

EDIT: sig test

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 03:33
Added to the list, youse guys!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 01:53
18~ so far! we appear to have gone into full swing this year!

I shall start work on my project in about 12 hours after I get some rest!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 09:35
I suppose I can remove myself from this, please remove my entry, as I cannot be bothered posting here, I shall remove myself for a while...

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 11:57
I've changed my project. My engine needs some optimisation before it can create a better looking game and I don't want to have to work on that and the game for this comp. So I'm thinking of learning some SDL and making a platformer game!

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 16:31
@MrValentine:

Don't be silly! You're always welcome at TGC. I'll remove you from the list if you *really* want me to, but at the moment I shall not because I want you to stick around.

@Zotoaster:

Sounds good! I'll update your entry. I need to update mine as well.

The project I wanted to work on (the lesson from GameInstitute.com) is much less interesting than I originally hoped. It's a GREAT lesson series, but I wouldn't feel quite right copying it and using it as my project, plus it would be yet another clone of a game. So, while I'm watching the video series in order to learn more about Unity, I will be developing "F.P.P.", or "First Person Platformer".

It won't have a lot of levels, I'm thinking three at the most. Maybe not even that many! There will be things to collect, puzzles to solve (inspired by Legend of Zelda, of course), and traps and pitfalls. Should be interesting!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 14:16
Could we perhaps find a way to link to this board a little bit easier? Only way I can get here is by going to the 'Off Topic' group on the main navigation page and click the link from there.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 19:51
I also noticed that there's no link before "/ NaGaCreMo '14 Sign-Up Thread!" at the top of this page. I usually use that to get back to the main board.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 01:12
@Zotoaster:

I'm not sure how we'd do that, since the only way to do it would be to post yet another thread in Geek Culture, which would be triple-redundant at that point.

@BMacZero:

The link you're talking about is actually there, but only on the beta forum currently. I know, it's a bit of an odd glitch, but hopefully The Next will have the beta become live soon, so everything should work well enough.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 01:29 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2014 01:29
Is there perhaps a way to get a link in the dropdown box? Could ask The Next (or whoever's responsible for it) to add it.

[edit]

I reckon it would increase exposure to all the projects here too

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 06:45
Hmm, I wish I had thought to email TGC about putting a link directly in the Newsletter, that would've helped a bit I think.

I'll bet The Next could do something like you suggest.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 17:58 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2014 17:59
I'm quite excited about this actually! I will get to work as soon as I finish the stuff I need to get done first.

Is it okay to have a general chat about Nagacremo in here too, or just sign ups?

Formerly OBese87.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 18:06
General chat is always fine!

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I sure did procrastinate away half of the month. I really should get to work.

320x224
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 03:00
It passed really quickly, didn't it?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 03:46
Yeah, I'm about to lose a week due to going to New Orleans with some friends.

Eh, at least I'll have fun!

Come check out my new website!
kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 04:03
alright i am not able to get a working demo of my game out by the 31st. I have been working on a multiplayer FPS in unity 3d, but i do not feel it is ready enough for a demo/alpha. I am in the process of reworking the player controller and just dont think it will be ready. so im requesting to be taken off the list.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 14:08
I didn't get mine finished, well, I got what I needed for my guild working, so I guess I can count that, but I had trouble with deploying my user-database online, as I've not coverred that section in my course yet, I figure I'll get around to it before I start playing. Nor have I coverred debugging in ASP.NET, so I don't actually know the cause of my error either or how to debug it lol, it's not like debugging normal Visual Studio applications.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 00:47
Well, I had to take my project in a pretty different direction towards the end (and use a cheeky extra 4 days - shhh) but this is basically finished!

It's not really what I set out to make, but I think it's ended up as a decent proof of concept

You'll need the Unity web player to play it: PLAY
Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:42:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:42:07