Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / v2 Feature Requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 10:44
With the image and sound facilities in memblocks there isn't a lot of need to actually save the file at all.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 11:02
Probably, but it sure is easy. To do an image memblock requires knowledge of the image file structure and that can be a pain. Just not worth the time.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 12:39
What do you do when you xor the bytes?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 14:14
Quote: "To do an image memblock requires knowledge of the image file structure and that can be a pain. Just not worth the time."

I don't understand. What's wrong with:

image = LoadImage("my_image.jpg")
memblock = CreateMemblockFromImage(image)
decrypt the image data
CreateImageFromMemblock()

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 18:17
@DA - I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. I have an array that is the key. The process loops through the array with each byte and xors it. Then I save the new byte to a file.

@Jim - Really? That's it? After reading the command's help file it seemed much more complex. Maybe I'll try what you say, though I've already got all of my commands written for encryption the other way and they are plenty fast.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 19:56 Edited at: 21st Oct 2014 19:56
Naphier - The key factor if you want to keep small jpgs is to encrypt them using an external program, and in that case, don't write over the header area. Only decrypt inside AGK.

I can knock up an encryption program using Delphi in about 10 minutes if that would help you guys.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 20:31 Edited at: 21st Oct 2014 20:32
Thanks, Jim, but that's OK. What I use only takes about 30 lines of code and I'm very happy with it. Here it is for anyone who wants it.
I use the same function to do the encryptions. Just make up your own key. I only show an 8-byte key here for simplicity, make it as long as you want.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 20:58
Naphier:
Looked up bitwise operators, now I get what you mean

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 00:16
The new sound commands are very good. But it would be handy not to have to get the sound instance immediately, but wrap that into an overloaded PlaySound() which would take an additional two parameters: Balance and Rate.

I would put that above the not yet implemented Priority.

So I would like to see:

integer PlaySound( iID, iVol, iLoop, fBalance, fRate, iPriority )

That would be easy to implement in the library and would save a lot of extra code in programs.

ToeKnee
Years of Service
User Offline
HTTP POST HEADER VALUES: The ability to set custom header values when doing a http POST command. Without this, the ability to integrate into back-end systems would be extremely crippled.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 18:42
Sqlite, Sqlite and, err, Sqlite....

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 20:12 Edited at: 30th Nov 2014 20:10
Deploy to web browser - the main reason I originally supported AppGameKit, but this option appears to have died. Can TGC shed any light?
I would like this back on the agenda before anything else.

Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 22:50
Need the possibility to draw upon the camera-view.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 10:10 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 09:53
File
- Adding the ability to write/load to SD storage on Android.
It could be very great to have this feature. With this, we could do some great applications (not only game) with agk. I know that agk is aaplication GAME kit ^^, but it's great to create application/tools with it.

2D
- Blendmode are great, but blendmode with src/dst could be very interesting too.

Game
- Basic & A* pathfinding (For 3D &2D (with 2d/iso grid)) could be interesting too.

Misc
For PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) applications and games
- Scan code : "+", "*", "F9" to "F12", "space"

Export
- Steam
- other google service

3D
- More shader examples : normalmap, spec map, rim light, reflection, refraction, fresnel
- an integrated lightmapper
- Dynamic shadow (shadow mapping ?)
- SSAO shader (fullscreen ?)
- more lights by object (for the moment, it's limited to 4)
- vertex operation (move vertex) for terrain creation
- Ray-light
ok - 3D fog
- FBX support animation (load an animation on a mesh/object...) and other 3D stuff.
- a lod system ?

AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 11:19
I realize this should be low on the priority list, but i could use a filled polygon draw command.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 20:41
As well as some additional string commands, it would be nice to have some DBPro-esque further Array functionality - so a better idea of the index you're at and searching by different UDTs on an Array or from a certain index rather than the start, or searching backwards...

Oh, and SQLITE3....

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 03:12
Quote: "Box2D - I think it's been 2-3 years since I and others reported the restrictive nature of AGK's Box2D implementation by comparison to the full Box2D framework"

I've heard this one a few times but I can't recall anyone saying what they need. If you give more details I may be able to throw some time at it without having to go over the whole SDK with a fine tooth comb.

The more specific a feature the more likely I will consider it.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 04:29 Edited at: 25th Oct 2014 04:31
@Paul, people have stated some of what they would like for Box2D in past threads starting as early as 2011. I know that the DBP implementation of Box2D includes 270+ commands, while the AppGameKit implementation has less than 65. A few notes pulled from past comments:

- Ability to set the frequency and damping ratio of distance joints

- Commands listed in this issue from 2011

- Full listing of commands in DBP plugin of Box2D for you to do a more thorough comparison (PDF)
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 18:04 Edited at: 25th Oct 2014 18:05
Joints are almost all broken in AppGameKit I could never use them because they caused crashing so frequently. Also, at the moment AppGameKit isn't reporting any collisions (through either of the contact commands) except those with the wall not sure if it's a v2 problem

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 22:07
@swissolo - we're really just talking about new features here. If something isn't working for you it is likely best to report it on the official v2 update threads as it sounds more like a bug to me.

----

@Duffer - If you can outline exactly what commands you'd like for arrays then I can have a clear list for Paul in the end.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 23:08
OK - I updated the top post with everything I can. I need some further details from some of you:
@Spartan and Blendman - Bluetooth connection support - is this different from NFC? There are commands for NFC, but I'm not sure if they work.
------------

Some comments on requests:
@Pawprints - Windows mobile support was a kickstarter goal that was not funded. I'm of the personal belief that TGC should hold off on this as the windows mobile scene is in flux and they plan to add support for Android apps.

@Jueny - Deploy to web browser - I don't think this is happening. Freedom Engine was the solution for this, but it was abandoned. It would be awesome to do this, but not sure if it will ever happen.

-----
A few other notes:
Please be specific with requests this way when we have a solid list we can present it in a way that Paul doesn't have to guess what we mean and I don't have to guess what you mean when adding the request to the list. No need for extreme detail.

This thread isn't for reporting things that don't work or asking when features will be implemented/fixed that are already planned or in the engine. We're just trying to get a list of new features to request.

Finally, my plan here is to get a clear list together and then put together a poll for us all to vote on so that we can illustrate our interest in the commands to AGK. That way Paul can set priority on things.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 23:11
I'd like to see the ability to assign more than one image to a sprite (like we can for 3D objects) so that we can produce 2D bump mapping and dynamic shadows and whatnot.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 23:26 Edited at: 25th Oct 2014 23:26
Quote: "@swissolo - we're really just talking about new features here. If something isn't working for you it is likely best to report it on the official v2 update threads as it sounds more like a bug to me."

When I first made the post I thought I was in the alpha 8 thread I kept it though since I was referring to the changes needed regarding box2D. The features aren't features because they're broken

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 23:28
I'd still suggest reporting it on that thread so that Paul will take a more immediate look at it.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 00:29
@ Naphier,

On hols at mo so apologies for typing.

With arrays what I'd like to see is similar functionality to Db pro. So that would include array find commands that could run from an index not being start of the array and also with arrays with several udts being able to sort by more than the first udt. Also a command to get the current index you are at within an array. Also a command to empty, redid and undim arrays. If we could also have load/save array accommodating udts that would be magic but perhaps a tall order.

Mostly I would like to see sqlite3 support - just a handful of commands and we could take it from there with sql. I'm NOT talking like my sqlite plug on for db pro which was OTT on commands...

Keep up the good work. Love the ideaof a voting to maybe prioritise development.

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 00:42
Quote: "I'd like to see the ability to assign more than one image to a sprite (like we can for 3D objects) so that we can produce 2D bump mapping and dynamic shadows and whatnot."

I would love to be able to assign more than one image to a sprite. I started playing around with shaders a while ago and found some cool stuff that can be done if that had been possible. We can already do it with the full screen quad though which is a start.
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like an extra element in PlayMusic()
Allowing the possibilty of overlapping fades for music
eg.

Fading music1 out and music2 fades in during
overlap
I am also vote for user plugins as im sure many
years agi using DBP we could wrap c++ functions
inside dlls and load them in DBP

also i havent figured out how to find the root directory
of the device? Would b handy to navigate from the beginning
of the device to scan for targeted files eg *mp3/*.bmp without
expecting clients to dump their files in the apps "media" folder

Native Technology
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 08:29
Quote: "Allowing the possibilty of overlapping fades for music "

Most mobile devices permit only ONE file streaming at a time, so this is not possible.

With the new audio commands it's easy to do it using WAV files.

Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
I cant c how? When i read in the documentation that v1 could play two at a time? And im thinking
more of targeting the everyday music listener? Who does not download wav files for obvious reasons
therefore leaving me with the only option on using their mp3 files for
Use with the music player otherwisw im stuck with having to load in
mp3 then internally convert each file to raw wave data just to
pass it to PlaySound() using more ram than necessary.im sure it could b.possible

Native Technology
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 11:45
You can play multiple SOUNDS (wavs) but not multiple streaming MUSIC files.

This is not AppGameKit - it's Apple and Android.

You can fade the music up or down, but you can't overlap.

JohnMcIver
Years of Service
User Offline
Would it be possible to add GPS velocity as raw input sensor data? The number of visible GPS satellites may also be a useful parameter to have available.
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
I see now , thats interesting and I kinda have developed a method overnight for making it work , I believe as developers we should be
pushing the limits as much as possible to show the potential of AppGameKit , would still like to see a "GetRootDir()" function

Native Technology
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 23:49
@Native Tech - ya you can do it yourself on windows, but on Android and iOS there are not any options for it. iOS we might not be able to do anything. Android we sure should have access to the SD card. Just general file explorer with skinnable GUI would be best, but that's probably best in a library. Still need the ability for AppGameKit to find directories in Android.

Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 15:18 Edited at: 27th Oct 2014 15:27
Draw upon the Camera view needed!
Maybe this must be direct drawing of camera-view into the image, or just into the screen but with possibility of drawing on it.

And would be cool, if that could have a access to the pixel data.
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 00:54 Edited at: 29th Oct 2014 01:15
I vote for more more spine control:

- Support for FFD (free form deformation) at runtime
"Free-Form Deformation (FFD) allows you to move individual mesh vertices to deform the image. FFD allows meshes to stretch, squash, bend and bounce in ways that aren't possible using rectangular images."

- More post processing abilities - at the same level as ordinary sprites

- IK at runtime when available from esoteric

I know this is a long shot and a rather big task, but if we are going to have spine support I think this is important.

That said, I am happy there is spine support at all.

http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-in-depth#Features

BTW: TGC (...paul) is doing a great job with agk v2. Fabulous new features and compiling time is fantastic.

I never want what I know.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 18:11
Can we get setviewangle? We already have setviewoffset and setviewzoom. Being able to rotate too would be sweet!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 23:42
@ Naphier,

Don't know whether I have properly explained the reasons support for Sqlite3 (nb. See how it is spelt) is such a very good idea. It is fast, powerful, has no dependencies and utilises the very flexible idle SQL language. It's a must. So very many apps and games use it for background databases. It is rock - solid. Hell, even Internet browsers use it. And with proper support for blobs (tied to memblocks) you could save images, sounds and files directly in to databases too).

Along similar lines, and not sure if this has been raised already, full support for x ml and for JSON databases too would be darned handy - although nothing like as handy as Sqlite3...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 00:02
I agree with Duffer. Sqlite is the format my company's data systems are changing to for file delivery.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 01:18
@Duffer & Jim
I totally agree about SQLite3. It's on the initial post (added it a few days ago). JSON and XML parsing are up there too.

When I do a final poll I might also ask folks to rank these. In my opinion SQLite3 would be top priority over the other two, because whatever you can do in JSON or XML can be done in SQL and probably faster. A db with the ability to store memblocks would open up a world of possibilities, too.

@CJB - SetViewAngle was added to the master list a couple days ago. I agree, would be very handy.

@TimShark - Can you explain on post-processing a bit more? We have Sprite shaders now, I'm not sure what else you might be referring to.

@Alex_Peres - Draw on camera view is on the list! Are you asking for access to the pixel data from the camera?

@John McIver - good idea, GPS velocity is a must IMO. I've added both to the master list.

@Native Tech - Sadly, Jim is correct. Android and iOS only support one music stream. So we can't do crossfading or overlapping unless you convert to WAV sounds or use some sort of memblock setup to mix the file data. With either method I think it will be fairly slow on mobile. I agree this would be nice though, if it were possible.

@Ranietz - Multiple sprite textures would be awesome. I've added it to the list, but I don't have high hopes on this.

@Duffer - I've also added the array functionality to the list that you're talking about. I'm not fully aware of the commands planned for arrays in v2, but I'll assume that Paul has finished. That said... You can resize arrays by myArray.length = newLength. I think undim still works to destroy the array. Seems to in my programs at least. Also it appears that dim can still be used to resize. I'm a little confused at getting the current element that you're at. I'm not sure that applies to AppGameKit arrays since you don't step through them with read commands. Can you elaborate? Sorry I just want to be clear. All the others I have added that you list. If you have a chance to be more specific on even more commands for arrays then please do so. I haven't used DB in years now so can't remember how arrays work there.

--------
Master list should be up to date at this point. Let me know if I missed anything that I haven't asked about already
Thanks guys, this is forming up nicely!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 08:31 Edited at: 30th Oct 2014 08:33
@ Naphier,

Great thanks. It\'s shaping up. Will be interested to see where TGC take this.

Just occurred to me that if (tall order) AGK2 fully supported PHP version 5+ that would incorporate support for Sqlite3. Of course you\'d then have to also become conversant with PHP - but realise some may want PHP as well... 2 birds with one stone?

I think direct Sqlite3 commands within AGK2 will be better and far far simpler for TGC to achieve. I think I\'ve narrowed it now to 20 potential commands. (see below)

Re Arrays will need to review dbpro and ianm plug in versatility and get back to you in 3-4 days when back in UK.

I will post draft suggested Sqlite3 commands and draft suggested additional Array commands then too.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 08:34
Awesome, that sounds, great Duffer!
I do think incorporating PHP into AppGameKit would be a bit much to ask for. But it would be really cool. Or you could just talk to a webserver a lot

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 08:37
@ Naphier,

Thought of some more useful functions in AGK2. ..

* Generic encryption of file commands.

* Encryption / password protected functionality in zip commands.

* String encryption/decryption.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 08:39
@ Naphier,

* Tiled / similar support

* Isometric tile commands support.

* 3D terrain commands?

Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 13:15
"Are you asking for access to the pixel data from the camera? ",
Yes, that will be great feature!
I think if to get a camera view as an IMAGE or MEMBLOCK - we will get this access!
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 23:31
@ Naphier

Quote: "@TimShark - Can you explain on post-processing a bit more? We have Sprite shaders now, I'm not sure what else you might be referring to. "

- Does shaders work with skeletons?
- Does setspritecolor work with skeletons?
etc.

Tim

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 23:52
So you're looking to have access to the sprites of a skeleton and be able to use all the other sprite commands on them, correct?

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 01:18 Edited at: 31st Oct 2014 01:19
Quote: "So you're looking to have access to the sprites of a skeleton and be able to use all the other sprite commands on them, correct?"

Something like that. Like the ability to change the opacity of a skeleton..

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 08:42
If you use render to image you get anything rendered as an image which could then be turned into a memblock to access pixel data...
Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 19:58 Edited at: 31st Oct 2014 19:58
@ Naphier, Baxslash

It seems that AppGameKit supports changing the atlas texture for a spine skeleton at runtime. If this is true then that would give us a lot more opportunities with spine skeletons. (since skinning is not supported)

Manual: "AGK does support applying alternative atlas textures to a skeleton after it has been loaded in AppGameKit, so this is the recommended method of changing skins inside AGK."

I´ve tried without success to do this, but there is no command that lets you change the atlas on an existing spine skeleton. Or is there? This would be great.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 16:45
Quote: "If you have a chance to be more specific on even more commands for arrays then please do so."

Any word on LoadArray and SaveArray? These are part of stretch goal 2 for AppGameKit 2, and would be extremely useful, for me at least.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:14:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:14:45