Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Sarah in Candy Land and placement editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 15:17
the crashes always happen when a new level has loaded but before you start to play game, so i think that it must be to do with the media being deleted then reloaded, but i just cant track it down. I delete everything to try and save as much memory as possible, but as you say all the images would be reused. ill try your suggestion and see what happens.

ill have to rethink how i create sprites as i use createsprite(loadimage("image.png")) for every tile which loads in one image for every sprite, even though the same image is used for multiple sprites.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2015 10:19
Quote: " as i use createsprite(loadimage("image.png")) for every tile"

That certainly explains your level loading times... You do not want to load the image every time you create a sprite, this is unnecessary... Instead, consider loading all your media before the Do/Loop and assigning your media to variables. You then use these variables when creating sprites... This means your media is only ever loaded once, and you never need to delete them, just keep reusing the same variables over and over... I honestly think this will resolve all your crashing issues...

For example, my set up would be something like this;

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2015 15:18
ill have to re-code how the levels are loaded into game, Ive known about this problem for a while but kept putting off having to re-code this hoping another solution could be found, but the amount of time i have spent trying to find this other solution is a lot longer than it will be to re-code this section of the code. My own fault for being so stubborn and not doing what needed done.
hopefully wont be too long before im back on track

Thanks funnell7, without your input i would still be trying to find a solution, you made me think about what needed done rather than what i was hoping would be a quicker fix.
have a few beers on me and a doughnut
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2015 16:02
Quote: "Thanks funnell7, without your input i would still be trying to find a solution, you made me think about what needed done rather than what i was hoping would be a quicker fix."

Most welcome, it will be worth spending some time sorting this out. I'm confident this will resolve your crashing issue, and it will also increase your level loading times dramatically... Let me know how you get on, I'll be interested to give this another try once the changes are done...
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 14:31
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215384

Have a look at this Platypus thread if it is of any use to you, I have some code at the start on how I started loading in the blocks etc and like Funnell7 I load a sprite sheet in at the start but don't delete images only sprites when creating new levels

Good luck with the re-coding of the sections, I know where you are coming from though as it is a pain when you are so far into a project but sometimes it's just the right thing to do to sort the issue.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 12:47 Edited at: 19th Nov 2015 12:48
spent ages modifying my code to load in the images so that they do not get deleted, this has been done but i was still getting the crashes but not till later on in the game, so spent time going through all my code in case i missed some images. Turns out that everything had been sorted with no images being deleted, so i decided to go through the code manually starting at the very beginning, going through every line of code to see what was happening. i got to the point where the new level was being drawn and i noticed that the code was not taking me to the beginning of the main game loop, but starting in the middle for some reason. so this was changed and now everything is sorted and no more crashes.

went through every line code 5 or 6 times looking for more images, which i presumed was the still the problem, was getting very annoyed and frustrated which is never a good thing when coding. Took a couple of days off from coding and when i came back started trying to track the problem from scratch.

Its such a relief to get this sorted having spent so long tracking this bug down, and its great to be able to get through to the last level from the first with no crashes.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and helped me to keep trying , think i would have given up by now without your encouragement.
beers for everyone
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 12:50
Well done
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 08:53
Great news, glad you got it sorted and you can now concentrate on the game

Having a virtual
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 22:58 Edited at: 24th Nov 2015 23:29
Finally released full version of game which is available here

just uploaded so will be a couple of hours before you can download.

Its been a long while getting to this point.
its not the best game ever but its the most complicated thing i have ever attempted and i am happy with it in its current state.
I could have added lots more to it as i have loads of ideas, but thought this project had to come to an end eventually, maybe a sequel to add some of those other ideas i had...

Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement and no doubt i will probably need some more in my next project.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 23:13
Well done Rickynzx! It's a great feeling when I project finally gets finished. Will have another bash at it later
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 23:32
Thanks spectrepaul,
its a great feeling getting this done and published. now have to think about getting the word out and getting as many downloads as possible.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 01:08
Quote: "now have to think about getting the word out and getting as many downloads as possible."

If you on twitter put a few tweets out there as they always give a nice boost, will retweet if you tell me your twitter name as I will follow

I will tell you something though, not sure if you plan to release on Apple devices but it is really worth it! It really pains me to say it as Apple are a real pain in the butt, however the free version of Paint Pot has had around 1155 downloads on Google since about Feb 2015 but on the Mac in the past 2 weeks it has had 606 downloads already and 55 paid for downloads too!
For about £80 you get to put apps on iOS, MAC and TVoS if you know how to do it and I have got my fees back already!
I didn't realise how good the user base for the MAC is and am going to release for that first now with mobile apps to follow. Just a thought

Wish you the best of luck with it
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 13:16
i dont have a mac to release anything for apple devices yet, maybe sometime in the future i will look at this.

Google play store isn`t the best i know. I made the mistake of releasing the beta on google play first, i find that the initial couple of weeks you get quite a few downloads then it slows way down when you disappear from the top of the lists, with releasing beta first a lot of people just didnt want to try it out because game was not finished and now it has disappeared from top of lists its going to be difficult to get interest up again.

going to try amazon and maybe release paid for versions with no ads to see how that does. although IAP within game also lets you get rid of ads if you want.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 14:41
Trying to record some video footage for the app stores but fraps is not working very well for me now, dont know if its a windows 10 problem, but it used to be ok. what does everybody else use to record video footage?
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 15:30
http://www.macincloud.com

Worth a look, Mac incloud because you can do everything on the PC then just do the build virtually. I was going to do this before getting the Mac.

I am struggling for recording the screen at the minute because I can't find a good, easy one which is free and no watermark yet so if you find one let me know
Don't forget the power of the Twitter
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 15:58
Quote: "http://www.macincloud.com"

thanks spectrepaul ill give this a try.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 17:45
Upgraded the game to include,

animated stars
animated monsters
Ads only appear every 3 levels now, as i thought that it was a bit much when they appeared every level.
I forgot to add jewels to world 1 level 4, these have now been added.

Quote: "I am struggling for recording the screen at the minute because I can't find a good, easy one which is free and no watermark yet so if you find one let me know "

Not found any for pc, but found one that i can use from mobile , check out this
ive only played about with this for a bit, but it seems to record ok on my galaxy s6, only problem is with sound as it uses microphone so make sure room is quiet when recording games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:20:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:20:18