Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [STICKY] Dark Basic Pro - Out In The Open

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 14:55
looks like this is gonna turn into a dead post and something that probably is not gonna happen!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2015 03:39
Quote: "looks like this is gonna turn into a dead post and something that probably is not gonna happen!"

Nooooo, don't say that!
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 19:58
It would be great to hear if anyone applied for the GIT hub moderator position yet.

Making DBP open source would be very useful for the FPS Creator mod I'm working on. Unfortunately I don't have time to maintain this project and work on the mod but I'm really hoping someone picks this up soon.

There are some really big wins all DBP projects would get off the bat such as increased memory using the new compiler which has LARGEADDRESSAWARE, faster compiling times and the cascading shadows from GameGuru.

It would certainly make quite a nice xmas present to the community!
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 23:15
Lee shouldn't worry about releasing it on steam or github right now. Just turn it over to the community here. There are plenty of people here that will start working with it. Also, give Nomad the source to classics editor so he can add in 3rd person camera.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 01:04
Best way to get people working it is to put it up on github, if pull requests have to pile up waiting on someone qualified to take ownership of the project and go through them all, were still better off with getting the current state of the code out now than letting the whole idea silently fade away waiting
ACKohollic
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 01:03
Drop it to git hub, or Here we are all waiting to work with this!!!!! it would be so great.
FPSCR and AGK2 how great is that!!!
Go TGC yay!!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 19:14
Hi Fellow DBPro users,

I am now uploading the initial set of files to GitHub and can be found here: https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/Dark-Basic-Pro

They really are the first draft of the files before a moderator can step in and clean them up, but you will find the full source code to the core commands, the compiler and all the basic core installer files so you can grab the latest repository and start using the programming language right away. I have also sent emails to all the official plugin authors and informed them the DBPro plugins will shortly be removed from sale pending this transition to a free programming language. I have also encouraged them to provide me with the latest version of the source code to the plugin so I can host them alongside the DBPro source code. As for the official plugins that TGC own, we will be releasing the source code to those plugins periodically (and if we can still find the code) to hopefully reconstruct the whole suite of modules as our new open source offering.

If you see anything urgently wrong or missing from the initial set of files, email me directly at lee@thegamecreators.com and I will get it sorted up to Christmas.

Thanks again for your utterly amazing support for DarkBASIC over the years, and I am hopeful GitHub will play host to the next chapter in the Dark Basic saga

Lee Bamber
CEO, The Game Creators
www.thegamecreators.com
Hogging the awesome since 1999
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 19:49
Going opensource is a great idea!.

DBP is still very powerfull!.

I allways wanted a Full GUI system inside DBP!.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2015 03:47
AWESOME! Such cool much wow YAY

Does it not make more sense to upload the files to the Master branch? That way people won't be confused when they go there and can't find the files because they don't realise there's two branches (*cough*-me-*cough*). Also, I predict that the Initial-Files branch will quickly become All-Files and then the name will no longer make sense. Not that I really know how to use GitHub....
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2015 18:58 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2015 18:59
Following DarkBASIC, BlitzTerrain (aka Blitzwerks Terrain) is now open source!

Grab the code here: https://github.com/kaedroho/BlitzTerrain2
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 00:07
Quote: "Following DarkBASIC, BlitzTerrain (aka Blitzwerks Terrain) is now open source!"

Awesome! This is a great plugin to start with!
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 16:12
Quote: " "Following DarkBASIC, BlitzTerrain (aka Blitzwerks Terrain) is now open source!""

Yes, and i just found out that Blitzmax, Blitz3D , Blitzplus
is complety free!.

link: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

I can't find any Blitzterrain installer , i dont hope you
have to compile Blitz free product!
I hope i can find installer for each of these product!?.
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 17:01
Just installed all product on win7 pro 64bit, works great.
All Blitz product has installer!.

I dont think blitz terrain has an installer?.
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 18:16
Quote: "I can't find any Blitzterrain installer , i dont hope you
have to compile Blitz free product!"

It's open source, not free.
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 18:56
Well, there's no price or cost.
When downloading there is allso a serial.
I dont see any 30 day trial!.
Properly you mean it is licensed software?!.
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 18:57
No cost on Blitzmax, Blitz3D, Blitzplus.!.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 19:03
Awesome guys, thanks for this! Can't wait to get in there and start poking around
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 19:21
A Blitz acount is required to download blitz product.
You can allways create an acount for free on Blitzbasic.com
website!.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 05:56
Quote: "Yes, and i just found out that Blitzmax, Blitz3D , Blitzplus
is complety free!.

link: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

I can't find any Blitzterrain installer , i dont hope you
have to compile Blitz free product!
I hope i can find installer for each of these product!?."

Do you realise the BlitzBasic products (Blitzmax, Blitz3D and Blitzplus) are completely unrelated to Dark Basic Professional and BlitzTerrain? BlitzTerrain is a plugin for DBPro, and has nothing whatsoever to do with blitzbasic.com.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 06:25
Wasn’t BlitzTerrain originally for BlitzBasic?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 06:47
Quote: "Wasn’t BlitzTerrain originally for BlitzBasic?"

What, was it?? I didn't know that. Since the thread says "BlitzTerrain is a new terrain engine for DBPro and DarkGDK" I assumed it was actually exclusive to DBPro/DGDK
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 07:06
I can't find anything about it on the Blitz forum. I guess not. Sorry!
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 08:08
I do apologize, i was so exited about the Blitzmax etc.
Yes Blitzmax, Blitz3D and Blitzplus dosent belong here.
I did'nt pay respect to Dark Basic Pro, which is still my favorite!.
Sorry!.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 11:10
No problem! I was just making sure you were not confused about what products came from where
zoltar
Years of Service
User Offline
@LeeBamber: Once again, thank you! Now's our turn, as a community, to show our love for DarkBASIC by contributing with our own effort to create an amazing new chapter of its saga. It'd be really fantastic to have all the official plugin authors following your lead.

@kaedroho: Excellent! Thank you! Is very generous from you to follow Lee's lead on this.
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 15:37
Can I install this along with my current version of DBP? will it install into my current DBP folder and Update it or do you need to do a clean install?
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 16:19
Did anyone figure out about the Terrain plugin?.
I can't remember if the terrain plugin is from
Leadwerk or Blitzbasic?.

I was hoping there was a installer, because compile and link libraries is a nightmare!.
I never figured out the Dark GDK NET , how to get it to
work in Visual studio express 2010-2012, i had lots of
Linking errors, it was a nightmare, i will try again!.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 20:21 Edited at: 26th Nov 2015 20:24
Quote: "Can I install this along with my current version of DBP? will it install into my current DBP folder and Update it or do you need to do a clean install?"

Yes you can, but nothing is automated, have to do it yourself - it is easy enough though. I just downloaded the zip version, renamed my old DBP folder by adding the world "old" at the end, then dragged the "Install" folder from the zip into the TGC folder where DBP was installed. I then renamed it the same name as the folder I had just renamed(minus the "old" of course). Using this version of DBP when I hit F5 to compile I had to give permission for it to run(uncheck the tick box so it doesn't bug you in future) and then it could not find the correct compiler, a message pops up that literally tells you what to do - change the location of the compiler through the Tools>Options menu, I simply deleted the entry in there and left it empty, it then compiled fine and now my executable's have the GG icon so I am assuming this is correct way to do things. Even the Indigo editor seems to be working fine with it, haven't really tested much but so far everything seems to be running just fine

@Lee Awesome man thanks so much
Brightside_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 11:09 Edited at: 27th Nov 2015 11:27
1. I get that all commercial plugins will be removed from TGC site? I wanted to buy some of them.Will be DarkVideo or DarkVoices now free for use?
2. Some time ago there was rumors about new very fast compiler.Will be it released or it is alredy uploaded to GitHub?
PS
looks like it is dbpro_7_7_RC7 version because some plugins dont work ( for example Dark Dynamix )
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 01:38
Great Mr. Bamber. Thanks a lot! Now, I'm no code guru and would not know what to do with the source, but I'm confident our fellow forum dwellers will know what to do with it!

Cheers!
Regards Sph!nx
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2015 18:57 Edited at: 16th Dec 2015 18:58
To everyone confused about the origins of BlitzTerrain: It's only ever been made for DarkBASIC. The word "Blitz" is a German word meaning lightning, and BlitzTerrain is supposed to be "lightning fast" compared to the alternatives.

I changed it to Blitzwerks Terrain when people started to get confused, but the BlitzTerrain name had already stuck. I'll probably rename it to DarkTerrain some day.
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 18:09
Has anyone actually tried this version of DBP? If so How about a review!
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 22:21
@Dragon Slayer, I have tried it, compiling is a tonne quicker, I haven't really tested it properly, so far some minor projects I have work, Evolved's advanced lighting demo doesn't work - think it was some camera command that failed relating to dynamic cube map, I can't quite remember, Newton Physics 1.53 seems to work fine, I have one or two bits of code that use some commands from Ian M's matrix1utils plugin that won't compile, some of Rudolpho's DX11 demos work the others don't as they use some matrix1utils commands - did not test extensively but quickly checked them out. Haven't tested any other plugins out as of yet.
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 12:53
Thanks James!
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 05:22
@kaedroho

how about setting "Blitzwerks Terrain" so that it works with AppGameKit 2

i remember there talk about adding more to DBP
this would give it new life and in the hope that it still would work with DBP and what ever life it has
this would give you make you a few $$ and keep it alive
to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 17:07
This seems like a good idea.
Heck, I might even be tempted to finish Vision, Marvin the Magician and World Off Road xD

However this will need quickly stepped up to modern standards:
* DX11 support
* Full working shader commands (only like 3 of them worked when I first installed DBP 11 years ago)
* Properly integrated PhysX engine (not just a port of the DarkPhysics code because that stuff was seriously flawed: you couldn't even unload a scene of rigidbodies without it crashing trying to load the next scene)
* Properly integrated lightmapping (not half of the commands in DBP and half of the commands in DarkLight)
* Properly integrated network support (not a clunky set of commands that result in a memory leak if left running too long)

The reasons listed above were why I didn't even give DarkGDK a try and moved from TGC technologies to Java.

DBP finally has a chance to redeem itself.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 20:38 Edited at: 24th Jan 2016 21:02
I wish the 3d party items had not been pulled but i understand that some of them had little to know active as they were out of date in some cases

I have spent a lot of time collecting every thing i could find and there still was a few that i had planed to get but did not have the money for
now that i am getting closer to having the money there gone ;o(

i do not think it would have been a problem for them to move it to there own site
and see what happens

if my finances was in better shape i would have bought the rights and keep them going but sadly that is not a option either for them

I think the computer for gaming is one that should not be left out at this point

i know some day down the road once the android devices catch up to the hard ware of the pc
then the pc will truly be considered a relic of the past
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 18:44
Not at all pleased by the sudden new website... really want to make a final download of all files and keys... 3DCrafter SE is missing... not sure of any others...

But looks like I will have to hand away from DBP now... as one of my products is now redundant or needs to be reworked entirely almost... and my code dictionary project I may rework that and give it away for free and allow external contributors to enhance the content using a web portal for the database... I am now moving onto more advanced coding and engines... but DBP will always be a gem there...

A bit of in my opinion a horrible way to redo the website without informing anybody... not impressed...

But maybe this will blow over as things are still WIP on the website such as Keys and Downloads?
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Like the two post above this one, I too am not that impressed with the way TGC have abandoned their product catalogue. I moved on from TGC products a while ago, and very rarely frequent this forum, but some of the the FPSC assets and third party utilities where useful for prototyping, or evening creating content for their own AppGameKit product. A real shame that these are no longer available, but I do think it reflects the way that TGC do not understand their user base.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2016 16:59
I know there was 3rd party to do with particle creation for AppGameKit that should still be active but that is sadly not the case
good thing i bought it before they yanked every thing

there were a few that would have worked with AppGameKit right off the bat and a few that would have
worked with it once it got up to that level

now they seem to have cut there own legs off .. well there ankles down

if some one makes a add on for AppGameKit there is not very likely the would consider using them to sell there product
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 18:32 Edited at: 9th Feb 2016 19:39
@James H
Quote: "I have tried it, compiling is a tonne quicker"
You talk about compiler which is on GitHub?I thought that it was one of the official compilers rc 7.7 ?

Make some tests:
Compiler doesnt work with this plugins:
MatrixUtils ( Matrix1Util_03.dll , Matrix1Util_08.dll, Matrix1Util_16.dll, Matrix1Util_20.dll, Matrix1Util_021.dll, Matrix1Util_32.dll )
And also with license plugins such as:
Enhanced Animation (AdvAnim.dll),Dark Dynamix and so on.

P.S.
It has logo of gameguru so I get that this is version in which was made the first version of it ( now it is on C++ ) - so it maybe contain new command and features like lightmapping or integrated shadows
P.S.S.
I get extra 150% fps boost in standart DBPro examples, so it is not old RC 7.7 it is something new !!!
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 19:52
@Kuper
Quote: "You talk about compiler which is on GitHub?"

Yes
Quote: "I thought that it was one of the official compilers rc 7.7 ?"

No - 612KB is file size for U7.7RC7 and 714KB is file size for the one on GitHub

As for the Matrix1Utils collection Rudolpho pointed out we might be able to get around it by altering the string tables, details should be on last page or so of his thread in the WIP board for his DX11 plugin as it was discussed quite recently, I haven't tested as of yet though. Good news that so far his plugin should work with any version.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 20:34
@James H
Nice! I'll test some other free plugins in a week ( like Image Kit and Sparkys collision )
And what about official plugins? I try to reactivate them with Certifiacete Viewer but with no effect. =(
Some of them compiler didn't recognize and other cause black screen and crash after that.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 23:23
@Kuper
Quote: "And what about official plugins?"

When I mentioned the issue of the legality of altering the string table entries Rudolpho pointed out that IanM was not bothered about alterations(basically IanM stated conditions for use was "none") but for other plugins I would assume we would need to contact them to gain permission - but on a quick examination, the entries of official plugins is protected(at least the few I looked at using ResEdit). However the other option mentioned was to alter the compiler source of DBP(GitHub GameGuru version) to ignore functions with the offending entries that start with certain characters(non letters or at the very least ones starting with "!") - those entries had said characters added as a means to comment out the functions - this is because those functions where old functions at the least in the case of IanM's plugins used in Rudolpho's DX11 plugin examples so far. Now I don't know anything about languages outside of DBP but I would assume that other plugins might have different prefixes to comment out functions where needed or perhaps the way the official plugins are protected is what makes them fail with the new compiler - or maybe something else entirely is the cause BUT TGC where aiming to contact the authors of official plugins to encourage them to either recompile their plugins to work with the new compiler or make them open source which I think I recall was mentioned by Lee earlier in this thread. So really where the official plugins owned by TGC as well as plugins owned by third party authors are concerned we are just playing a waiting game as no date has been provided as to when that might be. If you have the know how about altering the new compiler source I guess you could take a "stab in the dark" to see if telling it to ignore non letter entries(or any characters that might be used in the past to comment out old functions) to see if it has any effect. I guess you would have to weigh up whether the amount of work involved would be worth it or simply to join the rest of us and play the waiting game to see what authors respond, not exactly my favourite game I have to say haha!
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 02:00
Quote: " I guess you would have to weigh up whether the amount of work involved would be worth it or simply to join the rest of us and play the waiting game to see what authors respond, not exactly my favourite game I have to say haha!"

I wouldn't hold your breath. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you guys!!! I really am excited to see where the community takes DBP.
Download My Games for Android. Made with AGK.
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 06:45 Edited at: 10th Feb 2016 21:39
@James H
I think that support of licensed plugins is all about new Compiler. TGCCertificateViewer is also removed.
PS
Ive checked all free plugins which i have:
SparkyCollision - doesnt work / crash down
BMP font kit by Sven B - works well
Advanced sprites - works well
BBB plugin - works well
ImageKit - resize image command doesnt work other works well
Matrix Utils - works well exept some dlls
dcforeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 11:04 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 11:04
I wonder if the authors of these free plugins would be happy submitting their code and plugins to the DBPro Github. It looks like most of them work well, they could become standard DBPro features instead of "free plugins" and it's that what all this is about? Getting awesome community contributions like this and evolving DBPro with them?
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 14:58
@dcforeman
SparkyCollision for example is very old but useful plugin.I dont know where is its creator now.
I think it must be more easier to improve compiler instead of recompile each plugin many of which was made many years ago.
Still I dont who take on developing DBPro in future
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 15:13 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 15:14
Sparky Collision
Creator: Paul Johnson
Source: download available on the forum
Resourceful
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 16:22
the plugins were and are a great assistance to what DBP can do
I would be willing to chip in a donation to goto the people who created them

they spent many hours working on them and they should be compensated for there work

I be-leave that DBP has a lot a life left in it and should continue to be helped to live
there will need to be a few updates to it so that it will work on what ever operating system is out now and will be coming up

pc are going to be around for a few years more
but android is ware things are going

apple who knows if people will still keep buying in to a expensive and locked down device
and if Google can be removed from making android operating system then the device can be more
open for programs like us to give them the life they should have

I know AppGameKit 2 is the next incarnation of of DBP but i think DBP could be ported over with some reworking

there are dual boot Android tablets out now so some parts of DBP could work with it
how much of it could only be found out thought testing

thats my two cents so to speak

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 04:53:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 04:53:47