Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaGaCreMo 2016!!! [Signup and Discussion Thread]

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 08:31 Edited at: 9th Jan 2016 09:18
Quote: "Let's say, I do this. Place a tile, place a tile, place a tile. I don't like that tile so I delete it. Then I add a new one. And another one. I undo everything, realize I want to go forward again, and when I redo it will create the deleted sprites FIRST and then the original sprites."

Perhaps a simple reverse method of some sort or some kind of sorting algorithm would fit in nicely to solve this issue, or even better perhaps you might even be able to create some kind of doubly linked list to handle all the leg work - (although I'm not very clued up on the basic language or even if AppGameKit would allow it), again though I don't know what functions have been wrapped up and allowed for use with Basic, I imagine C++ gives you quite a bit more flexibility! I could be drifting off topic or complicating the idea now though, but hopefully it triggers something in your brain to help

The sorting algorithms could be ones such as bubble sort, linear search or selection sort! These should more than likely help with the re-ordering of the tiles.

(P.S - I haven't looked at your code yet, I think I need a few more coffees this early in the morning before melting my brain, I have been up since 4am as it is and it is now 8.24am, so considering I didn't go to bed until about midnight-ish I'm doing alright so far lol)..

Cheers
GunnerJnr

EDIT!! After a little more thought I suddenly realised why make life difficult for yourself, I gather that when you undo everything it all gets stored in an array so surely to get it to redo the tiles in the same order you undid you would just do a simple for loop but instead of starting at 0 (or the start of the array) you just start at the end and decrement it, (I hope)

something like:

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 17:15 Edited at: 9th Jan 2016 17:16

There you go Yoda

Press the pointer to create sprites on the screen.
Z key for Undo
R key for redo

Have fun and happy coding

Edit: Sorry for the Spam in your PM Box Yoda
The Message system was just not liking me today.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 17:44 Edited at: 9th Jan 2016 18:03
Thanks Crazy Programmer!

Unfortunately I do need a bit more data than that, ideally every function the editor can perform is able to be undone/redone, but the two most important are definitely creating sprites and deleting them.

I realized that part of the "bug" wasn't actually what I thought - the undo/redo is doing it in correct order, it just for some reason will not re-delete a previously deleted sprite, but it will set the gridspace to be usable again, and send out a print statement.

I will post my much-improved code:

I made a video which will explain it more in-depth, I will post just as soon as it finishes uploading!

EDIT: Here is the video, however don't bother watching it (unless you want to see some of the other stuff I've added to the editor) as I JUST SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

So, I was using this line of code:
DeleteSprite(RedoStack[i].tileID)

It SHOULD have been:
DeleteSprite(map[RedoStack[i].lastX, RedoStack[i].lastY].tileID)

It wasn't deleting the sprite because it was trying to delete a sprite from a 2D array using the index of a 1D array... Ugh TWO DAYS ON THIS AND I JUST NOW REALIZED WHAT IT WAS!!!!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 18:06 Edited at: 9th Jan 2016 18:30
Sweet stuff man im glad you got it worked out

Edit: Really glad you got it sorted. I wasn't thinking of redoing / undoing a randomly deleted sprite.

I was just thinking about redoing / undoing the last placed tile like I demonstrated. Which you have already had working haha.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 18:37
Yup here is the video to prove it!

I can't believe it was something that simple

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 18:57
It is working beautifully

Glad to see the progress you have made! You really have a nice piece of work

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2016 19:25
Thank you! I hope to have a complete working demo of the editor in its current state by tomorrow night!

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 01:34

// Copy over to RedoStack
AddToUndoStack(TILE_DELETED)

Based on the comment, shouldn't this be calling AddToRedoStack (TILE_DELETED)

?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 02:57
I have reconsidered my project idea. I have decided I would go ahead with the original recipe app idea. For this I have reverted back to using RubyOnRails, because I am not ready for ASP.NET in my attempt at re-learning C# with all the good habits and picking up stuff I have missed.

However, the recipe app will be slightly different to my original idea. I noticed in my "cooking more variety" spout that I couldn't really find any sites dedicated to using a Multicooker and I've been using mine a lot. Technically speaking, you don't need anything dedicated to a multicooker, because, for example if you are making a stir fry, then you just stir fry it. However, I figured it might be convenient to have somewhere to collate useful recipes to be used with a multicooker.

I don't know what to call it yet, I coined "MultiChef" for now, I have just did a basic layout and a css to work with.

I started doing all this too late this evening, so er...I will start work on adding other stuff tomorrow.

I realise this strays from the "game" bit, but er...erm...errrrrr, I need to make up some way of making it fit....well I suppose I was playing ARK as I was coding the above. So as long as I continue to code this whilst multitasking my video game needs, then I am creating some loophole by which this becomes related to game creation. I am gonna stick with that.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 04:08
Quote: "Based on the comment, shouldn't this be calling AddToRedoStack (TILE_DELETED)"

No, that was just a typo! The comments can't always be believed

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 23:11
I, Blink, pledge to create "Bugz" by the 1st Feb, 2016. Because the world needs another shooter

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 23:23
Looks good blink
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2016 17:37
Love the title screen blink0k, great style.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 06:26
How is everyone's projects coming along?

Mine would be coming along a little nicer if I didn't keep running into strange issues. Code that worked fine one day won't work at all the next - and now I have a fun glitch where if I click one of my custom buttons it will try to place a tile underneath that button and cause the program to crash...

I think I'm going to scrap it and try to start over, a lot of the flaws and glitches exist because of the way I was programming this from the beginning, during which I didn't set a clear plan path or anything. So, now that I have a better idea, I should just spend a day re-coding and restructuring and seeing if that does the trick!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 12:59
Mine was coming on all right, had some drama to deal with (yay!) that took up my spare time, but fortunately, that's blown over and well, okay, I've spent most of my weekend playing video games, but I got the next week off and can work on this.

To be fair, it probably won't take me that long to complete this once I get my head stuck in.
GunnerJnr
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 13:31 Edited at: 17th Jan 2016 15:03
I am afraid to say I have had to put mine on hold, but not through choice of my own. I was recently contacted by my tutors from City and Guilds for a course that I am taking, and they have notified me that I only have until May 3rd 2016 to complete the course, I haven't even started my 4 projects from City and Guilds yet and they are supposed to take 18 months! Considering I only have 16 weeks, and it is toward gaining a Level 7 degree equivalent, I don't hold much hope. Hopefully I will be able to find some spare time to carry on, but I think for now I will have to put it on the back burner. Sorry everyone. Keep up the good work though, and on the plus side at least I will still be working on something lol.

Here is my first part of the project from scratch in C++ and Direct X 11.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 15:00
I am thinking of going for 3D rather than 2D for my game. The reason for this is it would allow each room to have much more depth, and more complex puzzles to solve.

I am thinking about whipping up the prototype in Unity, because at least then I can provide a quick proof-of-concept.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 15:54
Hmm, I might do 2 projects from this, if I have time. At least start 2, because I have another web app idea. Somebody on my ARK server was lamenting that they wish there was a tool where she could work out how much materials she needs for a recipe and so I've proposed that I code something, because it would be quite simple to do, yet, quite useful for when you're going out gathering in that game. And also means I am relating my NaGaCreMo to something video game related.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 07:04
So, I pushed on a little more and dog gone it, i am going to finish this game with AppGameKit even if it kills me!

And lo and behold, I fixed my previous glitch. I was somehow assigning a certain variable in an if-then to that of the value of another one, which is what was causing the crash.

Basically, I was trying to determine the best method for the mouse to interact with custom GUI elements. I got it working, but then realized that I could still place tiles underneath my custom GUI buttons. Oops!

So, I tried using a variable to determine if the mouse as over a GUI element or not, but somehow the variable I was using kept getting updated multiple times a second and then if you went to place a tile it would freeze.

I then realized my whole approach was flawed, and seemed to remember that AppGameKit had the ability to set different sprite groups. So, now when I make GUI elements, the sprites generated get added to a sprite group which is then tested for with the mouse coordinates, and wah-lah, no more tile-placey-under-buttony-thingy glitch, and things actually... may work!

For those who haven't done it yet, I highgly recommend reading through documentation, as it could give you tons of ideas and save you tons and tons of time... oh well, this wouldn't be the learning experience that is has been without my own ideas being tested out!

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 08:27
Bugz! WIP Thread
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216328

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 15:12
Quote: "For those who haven't done it yet, I highgly recommend reading through documentation, as it could give you tons of ideas and save you tons and tons of time... oh well, this wouldn't be the learning experience that is has been without my own ideas being tested out!"

He he, I would say it's the case for programming in general, since I decided to take on learning C# more in depth, I have learned of concepts I didn't know of or think to look up the first time round and just applied what I had learned from my DBP days and from using Unity3D. There can sometimes be pleasant surprises, things you have thought of and things that make your life easier.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 14:12
So, it turns out that I've spent almost the entire month NOT working on my pool game, but working on my Zelda VR game instead! So, i'd like to swap my pledge back to my original idea, which is a playable VR Zelda game.

I'll post a video of what I've done so far in a bit, as soon as I finish work.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 14:16 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 14:16
And can any Mod please unlock my existing thread so I can post to it.: My VR Zelda Game Thread
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 22:19 Edited at: 19th Jan 2016 22:20
Please...

Anyway, here's a video of my current progress of the Zelda game...
mrradd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 20:19
I updated my Missile Command clone [WIP] . I made an EXE and an APK for download in one zip. Any constructive criticisms would be very much appreciated. Kudos are nice too
A bunch of you are working on some really cool stuff. It's also nice to read about your guys' problems and how you come across solutions for them.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 21:05
Some updates on my side: I've done some of the math and it turns out the problem of computing graphics in the frequency domain is a non-linear problem. What this means is, I don't have the math knowledge to solve what I wanted to achieve.

"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Seppuku05
Years of Service
User Offline
Updates my side (apologies, I cannot access my main account at present):

The ARK Blueprint Calculator thing got finished, well, the calculator side, I still need to work in accounts and fix a couple of minor bugs, but as it's only my tribe using it at the moment, it's not a problem as I'd give them access to modifying recipes. I will add accounts should I wish to distribute it further.

It is a very basic app, mind you. But it has worked out useful when gathering materials in the game. We needed 8 Behemoth Gateways, so it made gathering materials for it easier.
This is Seppuku Arts, at least until I get access to my main account again.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 19:17
I can already tell I'm not going to get my project done, but I have laid a bunch of groundwork for it!

I am definitely going to complete the game, but I need to create some more in-house libraries in order to make the game easier to develop and play in the long run. For example, right now I'm going to focus on creating custom GUI libraries, and after that I'll move on to level handling, project handling, and so on, and then I'll work on the actual engine itself. I imagine it will take just under two months in order to get it all going. What's going to take the longest is the graphics, which I actually hate the most in terms of independent development.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 23:28
Well I am just now getting my time back to work on my project. I have been MIA for while because of family visits. I hope to get work started again soon.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 17:42
Well I can safely say I am not going to get my project done.

These last two weeks I have been working almost 45-50 hours and have very little free time. I also have been experiencing trouble with my Linux install, which I had done to test the game on Kubuntu. It worked, but I can't boot to that drive anymore for some reason, it could be faulty (just bought it last week so hopefully that's not the case!), but next time maybe I'll just stick to a VM...

I will say I have learned a LOT this NaGaCreMo, and I do plan to finish the game, or at least a different version of it. I now think 3D is the way to go with it, we will see what I come up with!

Seppuku05
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't get to finish either, however, I kinda ended up with 3 projects. First, the cooking site idea, which I will still complete. The ARK blueprint calculator, which is technically finished and I got to work more on my roleplaying group's website, I realised there was a couple of bugs, some shoddy CSS and although it has authentication, it lacks authorisation, except if you're the admin user (so I need membership roles) and I have added a news section and some extra pages, though they're not live yet, but they will be once I have programmed the "authorisation" side of things, which I will probably do over this weekend.
This is Seppuku Arts, at least until I get access to my main account again.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2016 15:45
After some reconsideration, I shall keep making my game in 2D - I enjoy the concept for 2D games more and it makes me have to think more cleverly for level design!

So, even though I am not able to finish the game in time, here is a list of what I have been working on in order to get the game off the ground here in about a month or two:

Custom Level Editor
Custom GUI Module
Project handling in the level editor
Undo API

Right now, I am working on refining most of my programming into individual and reusable modules, for example my GUI system. The Undo system would be broken down but unfortunately it's something that's rather tricky to make generic, so that will probably just be hard-coded into the editor itself.

The GUI is actually proving to be the trickiest part, I am trying to figure out how I would make things like listviews but all I really need are buttons, message dialogs and input fields so I will just focus on those for now and call it good.

I will probably expand the game to be technically a sidescroller, but the rooms will each be separated much in the same manner as they were in the original Metroid for NES!
Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 03:37
Well aside from moving into a new place... I have completely failed this month in my participation... I will still do my 3D studies, just more in February... still settling into the new place...

PS>
Not impressed with the sudden new website.......
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 05:22 Edited at: 31st Jan 2016 05:22
Get in line! It ain't sudden though, we've had it for some time now. Early December? But it's been heavily improved upon. It does indeed seem, however, that issues with this site haven't been addressed in some time. I would go back to the old site if I had it my way. However, Next has put in plenty of well intended work for the new website. Also check out my forum activity thread, and you'll see why this forum might be on TGC's back burner a bit.
"blague" - Yodaman Jer
mrradd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 07:47
I've made some decent progress on my game I think. Couldn't finish it this month like I intended, but I am farther than I thought I would be. Here is a link to the APK for my homage to Missile Command: Missile Commandish (v0.2.6). It needs some more work, and several features added, but I think it is okay for my first with AGK2. That and it's the first time I didn't rip off any sprites or sounds Below is a current screen shot as well.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 15:51
Congrats to everyone that used NaGaCreMo to start a project, be inspired, learn something new, or reach for the sky. It is the true purpose of January.
I personally have failed with working on my project the past 2 weeks as I have been very busy. I can say with out a doubt NaGaCreMo was not a failure. It has inspired a new project for me to complete.

mrradd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 20:36

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:46:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:46:04