Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK code challenge

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 17:24
What's the current challenge? I want to join in this time!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 19:43
CJB there's no current challenge

as there was no entries for the last one I put it back to the group to discuss what theyd like to see as a challenge

So far a suggestion from Batvink was a file selection utility that should get access to the main drive and return the folder and location
Another suggestion was something with Memblocks
fubar
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 20:13 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2017 21:04
Everyone...

Please pick at least two points of interest and then we can collate them all up together and then can think of what the next challenge could be.

Doing it this way, would entice more people cause it would give them more interest to do things.

If we participate of what we would like to do rather than waiting for one to suggest something then think that would be better.

A bit like a brain storming session to pick out the best of the bunch

If ya get my meaning

My two are:-

- Memblock work?

- A simple text editor with font choosing and sizes capabilities?

Or is this even a challenge within itself for you

Anyway, Good to hear from some of you own interests soon

No ideas or responses after 4 days (giving time for anyone that are too busy), then best assume that this is no longer an inspiring thread for anyone anymore

damo
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 01:02 Edited at: 4th Feb 2017 01:04
Quote: "Damo I thought of a challenge with memblocks but I understand very little about them and if anyone wanted examples I could
not give any"

Isn't that part of what these challenges are about?

Quote: "- A simple text editor with font choosing and sizes capabilities?
Or is this even a challenge within itself for you"

This could be difficult in agk given the way it handles text. But I'm cool with any of these challenges

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 01:41 Edited at: 4th Feb 2017 01:46
Indeed..

and of course - it can be about anything? - options are wide open for all and anyone else who likes to try and achieve some aspect of AppGameKit - that's why I thought of brainstorming before setting up another.

--- I have thought of another one.

- a past tense, future tense language sentence constructor ... - similar to what we did with numbers - one, two, three four, thousand, million etc etc

E.g This is what I like?

Past - This is what I used to like?
Current - This is what I like?
Future - This is what I going to like?

Get your minds going

Only a suggestion
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2017 15:11
I found this super cool really uber awesome website we can use for tons of ideas!

http://dbcc.zimnox.com/

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 5th Feb 2017 15:16
They sound and look good to me too for a cool challenge ahead

Damo
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 5th Feb 2017 20:14
Ok, if its alright with you guys - ill kick off this next one....

Challenge --- Skeleton....

Please code something up with some hard core maths to create a Skeletal Bones structure with the necessary Joints/limbs and Movements.

It can be anything.. A human or an Animal

I would like it to be able to move too and have a nice smooth movement effect of each of the limbs facing the direction for that movement

It needs to use Draw commands only and not use the Skeleton Commands that's already in AGK

Winner shall be one with the most design, uniqueness and realism.

Deadline: - Midnight Saturday 18th February( 2 weeks due to ones working and busy with other things)

Let you imagination run wild and create something great

Damo
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 11:04
Phaelax wrote: "I found this super cool really uber awesome website we can use for tons of ideas!"

Lol, shameless. I love it. Almost as much as I love THIS website.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 23:37 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 00:12
Notice I have been totally ignored again.

Is my challenge too difficult for you, or just ignorant people... Awww... Lets make a maths times table app..., what is 1 + 1

you know what - I'm just getting totally fed up of following this forum shame to

I can build any 2D games anyway with AppGameKit at ease for what I want - don't really need these challenges nor rest of the things anyway

AGK fits purposely great for my life requirements.. Thanks TGC for making a great product

I'm leaving

One quick Q.. - When was this forum most active? - did people just didn't want to be involved anymore - I'm heading that way,

was it when it was the old site was alive perhaps and now has been changed? - if so, why was it changed? ----- People generally don't like changes in life?

- Why isn't the site gaining more people rather than loosing them cause of inactivity - the most members active here are really are Ortu, Scraggle, Markus, Phealax, Mobius, Easter Bunny,=PROF=, PSY, David AppGameKit, and the rest of the developers and any new comers must not miss the moderators either... If I missed anyone then add them on too

This forum should be 1,000 people lively, you know.....

and that's probably why I'm feeling I'm buggering off .... Cause there is only 10 at most active members... From the start of AppGameKit - 10yrs worth - then this site should be
way above 1,000 active members

I just need ones that liven things up, instead of waiting for weeks for maybe a response.

Very infuriating when its a Forum as such!! that's all
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 09:37 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 10:06
I thought of a dancing person made of boxes that you clicked to animate arms legs etc but have no idea how to go about it

Damo I agree it can be infuriating when people don't respond but we need to understand there may be many reasons
as to why they don't respond, it may be work commitments it may be because of personal reasons truth is we don't really
know. Maybe they just don't have something positive to say to a post, so they just read them. Just as no one really knows
you or me.

Sure it would be great if we got more forum activity but personally i've found the forum help i've received in the past, to
be very valuable and the idea is not just for the personal help but for others who read the posts to learn from them aswell

Quote: "?You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

Something ive always loved about the forums here, you can ask what seems like the silliest question and people are kind
and help in the best way that they know.

Sorry to hear you want to leave, I would miss your posts but all I can say positively is good luck on your future endeavours
fubar
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 11:04
I don't think calling people ignorant is the best way to get their attention
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 12:17
Quote: "Is my challenge too difficult for you, or just ignorant people"

I think you need to chill out. And judging from many of your past posts in other threads, I bet you'll edit this one and erase it too when you get angry. And you weren't ignored as I do recall stating I liked all the challenge ideas that were presented.

The forums used to be very active in the early days, say 10 years ago. Times have changed, technology advances and there are a lot more options out there now for beginner codes than there used to be.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 12:22
Quote: "Notice I have been totally ignored again."

Quote: "I'm leaving"

Quote: "and that's probably why I'm feeling I'm buggering off .... Cause there is only 10 at most active members... From the start of AppGameKit - 10yrs worth - then this site should be
way above 1,000 active members"

Some people may only visit the forums every few days / weeks / months...

"Wise man say patience is a virtue, but never pay full price for late pizza" - Michelangelo.

Seriously though, this is a super helpful community and I agree that TGC should do more to encourage participation. It looks like they ARE now putting some effort in to fix the bugs that have plagued users for months, and are even introducing some nice new features (like the length of service badge and enhanced profile screen).

Some good prize competitions could generate publicity When was the last competition?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 13:06

Couldn't resist.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 15:34
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 15:45 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 15:46
Browse the Greek culture and dbpro boards, you will find a number of threads discussing the declining state of these forums, not going to rehash it all here. AppGameKit is really the only section left that has any real activity, try being a dbpro holdout or 3d artist and see how quiet things can really get

You have to understand that this place is slow of pace and difficult to organize and motivate as a group. Everyone has their own projects that keep them busy.

You also cannot expect a direct reply to every post, no one gets that, on any forum anywhere. Your apparent expectations are setting you up for frustration.

You made a post on Superbowl Sunday, followed directly by a workday. In that space of little more than 24 hours it can be assumed many people hadn't even seen it yet, further you have a deadline of several weeks, it's reasonable to expect at least 3 or 4 days before seeing any real response.

Frankly, these challenges have always been a bit of an idle time killer for people between projects, or a minor distraction when one needs a quick something different. If it's something I feel is likely to take more than a day or two, I'm not likely to spend the time on it.

The skeletal system challenge is good in that it will provide users with a useful tool and a good opportunity to learn, the subject is appropriately focused. If I we're less busy, I might tackle it, but I don't see finishing it in less than a week and currently I don't have more than 2 or 3 evenings a week to spend on this kind of thing.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 06:31
Thanks guys, have enlightened me in lots of ways on how this forum is.

I'm going to have a go too at this challenge too, and if I get some code together, then by all means can use it for you own.

Never know, you may be able to attach (human body image with sprites) attach to where the drawline commands would be... So could build an funky animation system.

Similar to Spriter
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 14:00
I can't get my head around only using draw commands. It's like trying to write a text editor, but only using PRINT. Why limit what commands are allowed?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 17:12
Quote: "Why limit what commands are allowed?"

Well it is agk challenge...

I thought the drawing was the easiest part, a line between two designated joints.

damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 18:19 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 06:21
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 20:31 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 06:21
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 23:16
Thats a good link for creating sprites and things too, cheers.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:36
Maybe this challenge seems easier to me than others cause of the Spriter plugin I made in DBP. (or was it AppGameKit? Ugh im getting old)

I have some good ideas on this skeletal challenge. I'll start working on it if I ever get to leave work this week! (i'm already working 12hr on my day off and now they want me staying over later)

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 04:16

I was thinking a very primitive version of the above that you click an arm and it animates click a leg and it animates etc
and using bones on a skeleton image not necessarily a skeleton. Don't think were allowed media or we could use the
skeleton commands and import a file from Spriter. Still getting my head around Spriter anyways.

Would love to see your plugin you made Phaelax
fubar
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 12:48 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 06:21
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 18:38 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 06:20
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 19:48 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 06:20
Good bye -

I have got better things to do
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 06:59
Someone else can take these challenges on - I'm leaving cause totally fed up with it...

See you in a few years time once I have had a break from you all
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 07:58
Jees it's getting a bit of a joke now.
What's wrong and are we going to end up with a load of blank posts that make it difficult to read these threads?

I am not being funny but if this forum stresses you out so much then maybe this is not the place for you as you are not doing yourself any favours with all this messing about.

@TheNext can any blank messages in the threads be recovered?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 10:07
My god, spat the dummy again?!?!

Thought you had to be over 13 to join these forums.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 10:33 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 11:17
Wow. Nuked all the posts again! What is wrong with this guy? I'm done now. Can a MOD please revoke Damo's "Valued Member" badge? Once was bad enough, and we accepted the apology... but again?

Fine... if you don't like the community, then leave... you DON'T need to vandalise the boards on your way. So childish. Seriously... Good luck with the job hunting Damo. If your attitude to job hunting is anything like your attitude in this forum, then you'll need it.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 10:49
Quote: "Thought you had to be over 13 to join these forums."

I work full-time making games in AGK2 and DBpro. Living the dream!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 10:55
@CumQuaT: Made me giggle a bit.

I still like this image:
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:29
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:37
What the heck did he complain about this time?

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:44
God knows, think he wrote a post and then deleted what he was complaining about. Crazy.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:45
Out of curiosity, is there anything to stop a banned user from joining again under a different name?
And are they still able to view the forum without logging in?
What does 'Banned' actually mean?
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:49
Oh sweet, I have badges! I got me some stinkin' badges! lol

In regards to the current challenge, here's Spriter plugin I was talking about. I think with AGK2 I can make this cleaner (given arrays in UDTs).
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/201922

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 11:55
Quote: "Out of curiosity, is there anything to stop a banned user from joining again under a different name?
And are they still able to view the forum without logging in?
What does 'Banned' actually mean?"

They can join again, but there are ways to identify them as a duplicate account (which is the most heinous of forum crimes)
They can view as a non-logged in user but cannot post
A user can be banned for a set period, after which they can come back in a hopefully more amicable fashion.
Bans are logged so further infractions can be dealt with more heavily.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 12:04
Quote: "A user can be banned for a set period"

So, what is Damo's ban period? How long before we get to enjoy his posts again?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 12:13
First bans are usually a nudge in the right direction, just a few days.
But if somebody comes back with the same attitude towards their fellow forum members, then the ninth circle of Dantes Inferno beckons.
TutCity is being rebuilt
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 12:53
Quote: "I'm sure there is some kind of mental health issue"

Quote: "The worst thing is all the edited posts. "

Lets try and restore some life back into it, Did anyone have any luck with the challenge, I personally thought it was a big ask when we weren't allowed
to use skeleton commands. Even with the lacking skeleton creation commands. But a challenge none the less

Perhaps someone out there has ideas for the next challenge
fubar
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 13:09
I liked the idea of BatVink's suggestion for a file selector. That's something that gets asked about a lot.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 15:18
Scraggle wrote: "I liked the idea of BatVink's suggestion for a file selector. That's something that gets asked about a lot."

I may even try this one.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 15:27 Edited at: 13th Feb 2017 15:31
I liked the skeletal challenge, I started some work on it already. I may keep working on it even if we scrub it. I'm down for the file selector too.

haliop_New asked about a code beautifier for AGK. Damo suggested it as a code challenge and I agree. Maybe for the next round.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 15:34
How about this for a compromise?

Since Phaelax is the only person that appears interested in taking part in the skeletal challenge, we declare Phaelax the winner of the skeletal challenge by virtue of the fact that he has already written a large part of a Spriter importer (and I would urge you to finish it because it would be very popular!)

And then we move on to the next challenge.
So unless there are any objections, over to you Phaelax, what's next? File importer or something else?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 15:43
I would vote file selector because it fills a gap in AGK.
The default selector cannot return the path of the file, which is pretty essential.
I personally don't have a need for it right now, but I can see why others need it.

The main criteria are:

1. you can navigate up and down through the folders
2. you get the file name and the location

There is one cheat you probably need and that is how to get the drive letter and hence the root of the folder structure. You can do this by GetDocumentsPath() and parsing out the drive letter.
TutCity is being rebuilt
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 15:48
What BatVink said, file selector challenge.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2017 15:51
What's the deadline?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:39:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:39:49