Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Making a simple Old School Style FPS Game in AppGameKit 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2018 07:02
Downloads in the blink of an eye so no worries.

Well. I would bet you couldn't fully drop it for 3wks: It's far to addictive for us already seeing it develop into a breathing living thing, so must also give you quite a kick, but then again: I have to force myself into having breaks now and then due to my health/work, which is a bummer.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 02:26
Okay cool! I just need to keep an eye on it to be sure it can fit on a 1.44 MB DOS floppy disk. Currently it hasn't even filled a 3.5" double density Amiga floppy disk so we're ok.

We'll see how it goes. Today I did start on a project that will lead into me doing another 2D game project. Will make a post on this interim project at some point.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2018 23:20
This was a fun project. I wonder if anyone is making a sort of "old school" style FPS or Dungeon Crawler?

Would be great to see people's experiments and such.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2018 08:07
@GarBenjamin

It looks fine on my PC. Rotation has to be fixed, I guess, it was not smooth. I tried it on my OUYA and I had sometimes only 3 FPS. So there would be a lot of optimisation needed

I really like the lighting and all effects.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 00:13
Cool thanks for checking it out. Yeah the rotation was intentionally "jumpy" to mimick the very early fps games and make it easier to stop facing where you want with keyboard control only.

I might revisit it again sometime.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 10:17
I really like your FPS Game when I tried it last I
think this should be included in one of the games packs

Quote: "I tried it on my OUYA and I had sometimes only 3 FPS"

Dont know if this is an issue, but One thing i noticed when moving pointlights set in pixel mode
it only takes two to significantly drop FPS but if vertex mode is used the frame rate goes way up
again. The prob i found with vertex mode tho is it dont show lighting effects on surrounding
objects so well.
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 14:16 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 14:16
@fubarpk you are exactly right about the point lights. I guess I could have used vertex mode for more of an "old school" look but the difference in lighting quality is huge between vertex and pixel modes. Plus I never think about how these things run on mobile because I have never done any mobile development. Always think of desktop or web games.

3 fps is crazy low. Lol Even running in the browser I got around 15 fps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:20:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:20:14