Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Official]Three Keywords Game Jam[July 9th - 16th]

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 07:15
No probs unlikely! Quite like the selection

Nice work Rich! Looks cool... great set of words too

You are making good on some tricky words there fubarpk!
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 12:38
Thanks baxslash

Im kinda storyboarding a game that takes care of the book part The tunnel bit I had no idea,
I guess I could do something in caves or something but not really sure how to represent that
I thought puzzlers 3d maze code could work but thats not really mine so instead im working
on something a bit different should see something soon

I already have purchased both assetpacks so not really in it for the prize, the golden potatoe
now thats appealing lol and means i dont have to host the project online, Something ive found
in the past when you think youve found the perfect example of what you want to do but the
file is no longer available.

Goodluck Everyone we should get some great projects produced here looking forward to the
results from everyones words

fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 14:00
Quote: "Can you guess how I've already used "Underwater", "Cat" and "Yellow"?"

We all live in a yellow submarine.... I'm not seeing a cat? Just add a catfish
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 14:29
fubarpk
How about if the cave was inside the book like a drawing and you have to try to get to the next page? Just a thought

I now have the plants growing nicely on my buildings. They can be destroyed by dropping weed killer gas bombs on the "infected" areas.
Next I will add some people to rescue! I am thinking if they touch the plants they will turn into little mushroom people that infect others.
It's fun getting back into AppGameKit
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 16:54
Quote: "How about if the cave was inside the book like a drawing"

Sure if I was more creative, could possible be a 2d game inside the book or what I would've liked to do a 3d game
with a game camera inside the book but i cant see any easy way of implementing a camera that shows the game
world inside a window pasted onto a book. (if at all my gibberish makes sence) The camera commands were much
more versatile in DBPRO and GDK like that
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 17:00
@fubarpk maybe simplify it. Don't think of cameras and how to do it with a camera. Can't you just render your 3D world then plop a 2D sprite of the book on top with transparent chunk of the image allowing view into the page into the 3D world?
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 17:40
Quote: "We all live in a yellow submarine.... I'm not seeing a cat? Just add a catfish"

The sub is sort-of yellow, yes. But the name on the side...

As far as the cat, well IV is four, and if you live in France how do you say "four"?

There will be cats, of course, but also a few more subtle references. Easter eggs, if you will.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 19:13
Looking good everyone! Glad to see people making progress.

I am still trying to decide what will be the “strangest weapon...”
Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Windows 10
Secondary: Mac OS X 10.10
Zen Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Day 1: took my words, brainstormed for a while, thought of a few ways to implement them.

Decided to simplify the concept, keep the area simple, designed a concept map for the game area, delved into 3D in AppGameKit, made a single image file to use through the entire game. Started building the map, one piece at a time after failing to get age3d to launch properly. (No images load at all). Was frustrated with having to move my player every time to get the right position to see if I’ve moved the block far enough yet, so I created a save/load feature that saves the player position roughly every 20-30 seconds.

Then of course... life happened, and when life happens to me... well. Two weeks into my two and a half month vacation, I’ve got to drive back across the country.

Not asking for an extension, and not bowing out. I’m 1/5th if the way home, and I’m gonna spend a few hours each night working on my game. Prepare to be awed by my effort! I figure I’ll arrive home on Saturday, that’ll give me an additional 16 hours when I get home to wrap up by deadline. Coupled with the 3 I’ll have each night after driving, it’ll be like a 48 hr jam. Good luck everyone, you’ll need it.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 02:58 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 02:58
Kudos, @Zen Jones - Never give up, never surrender! Live to code, code to live!

Here's my main menu screen... I can't make up my mind which name to use for the sub, Sunflower, Saffron, Goldenrod, Lemon Pledge.

Havin' loads of fun though.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 03:49
My idea at the moment is basically just a new theme on an old windows classic, might've been on atari back in the day too I can't recall.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 04:57
Quote: "I am still trying to decide what will be the “strangest weapon...”"

Its a pity you didnt have chicken as well cos you could shoot chickens out your gun

love it so far Rich Dersheimer A fart a day keeps the cats away lol
It also keeps the girlfriend away

Quote: "basically just a new theme on an old windows classic,"

Classics are a big hit

My words"book splendid and tunnel"
I got a fair bit working but then I realised I had confused porthole with portal
Not that i need to remind anyone here. but By definition a porthole is a tunnel for
light and a portal in science fiction refers to a technological or magical doorway
that connects two distant locations. Similar but not the same and too far to change
now. But the portal is my tunnel to another location and it kinda creates a tunnel
effect. Its all in fun right gotta love AGK

After some sleepless nights some fine tuning is needed. I will post here the result
when done but may wait to see what others have done
fubar
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 11:11 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 11:12
Having so much fun with this!
Quick Screenies:

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 13:26
screenshots already? Not much to look at but enough to give away where my inspiration came from. Nevermind my graphics, I made them in paint, on a work laptop, in 5 minutes.

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Attachments

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 14:20 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 14:21
I've been trying to come up with ideas and have decided on an endless 3D shoot-em-up. You fly through a progressively more difficult cave with enemies to shoot, power-ups to collect and objects to avoid (mostly stalactites and stalagmites). The power-ups will come in the form of circuit board parts and there will be a sub-game where you must piece together the circuits like a jigsaw puzzle to enable the enhancements. The goal will be to see how far you can get through the cave.

Here's the beginnings of Player Ship:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 14:54 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 16:00
Looks great CJB! Mine is similar in concept but no scrolling, all in one city/screen infected with "plants"...
OMG they sound like disgusting creatures. Living in the dirt and pollinating all over the place... just as well Captain Stochastic is around to kill this damned brainless weed infestation in our beautiful pristine concrete city!!
I just need to prepare a few power up crates for our hero so he can cause maximum damage to the plant scum and then my game is done!
(unless I find some extra time to add some spit and polish)

EDIT:
Ok, here is a beta version for anyone interested!

Attachments

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 16:50
@baxslash That is SO COOL! I got a "bluster" power-up
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 16:54
You mean Cluster? There's also Napalm and Full Auto
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 17:04 Edited at: 13th Jul 2018 00:08
Great Work Baxslash
Loved the whole concept and definitely close to your words sadly the plants infected it and it was game over for melol

I had some 3d created models i made a week prior to the game jam and was pretty excited to get the chance to use them
As i have previously stated i got porthole and portal mixed in my head. MMMM Golden Potato. All in fun tho love AppGameKit

My words "book splendid and tunnel" Here is my beta

Known bug you cant shoot below the horizon
Prob need to improve the story and name that scientist lol And would like to improve the tunneling effect
I now have definitely a tunnel room that after 5 levels you stumble back through a portal end up at the book
told some story then off to bonus level just a tunnel you collect fruit at the moment for no real advantage
and you walk up to portal on the other end to leave and go back to normal play mode
fubar
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 22:24 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 22:39
Nice work fubarpk!!
A lot of cool stuff and done with no media, which makes it all the more impressive

EDIT:
My best score yet on my game is 238,822 at 5mins and 2secs... gets pretty hairy! Also found a bug... crates aren't being deleted between games in the version I uploaded.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a screenshot! While I'm behind with the code, I have decided on some basic structure and has some artwork done.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 13:12
Wow! Excellent art skills
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 18:08
Great work so far guys! I'm looking forward to this and have my work cut out for me.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 18:16
You guys are speeding right along. Tried both the book of portals and the weed infestation. Both are quite unique and seem very well implemented for the very short development time.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 19:59 Edited at: 12th Jul 2018 20:04
Love your artwork Basicfanatic
Is that character animated ?
fubar
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 20:12 Edited at: 12th Jul 2018 20:12
Yippeee... I'm now flying down an infinite "cave" with distance markers.

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 20:43
Looks good CJB I can see "Circuit and Cave" working well there
fubar
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 21:02 Edited at: 13th Jul 2018 05:03
I'm making a puzzle game where you have to free chickens. Here's my chicken!(lol I'm not an artist)

Also, how you add images to the text body?

Attachments

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 21:54 Edited at: 12th Jul 2018 21:56
Quote: "Also, how you add images to the text body?"

You mean here in the forum? Once you have attached an image to the post, click on it, then copy the URL. Go back to the post and edit it to include the image URL.

BTW, I know those are tail feathers, but they kind of make the chicken look like he has only one wing.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2018 00:30 Edited at: 15th Jul 2018 04:10
Ok im done been hectic I get so involved in programming once I start I forget what real life is about lol
I tidied up my code allot and made some improvements to the bonus level and the book. Had a few
issues with the moving walls but sorted now. Had to use two types of collision detection raycasting
and get physicsobjectcontact with the game.

Ide like to thank basicFanatic for this wonderful concept of a Game Jam which gave me a
chance to use my code created media and latest learnt principles that ive been itching to use

My words "book splendid and tunnel"
Here is my final

PS For those that tried the last there is some nice improvements that you can click
the mouse to advance pages as that animation got really annoying with all the testing

Shader now has the option of using a masking layer for texture1 if so chose this stops
it drawing anything on transparent parts. I did play with that effect a bit but thought
donuts are best for eating and not for games
fubar
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2018 02:50 Edited at: 13th Jul 2018 02:52
IronManhood: Awesome idea. Also, per Rich's comment, maybe if you added folded wings of some sort it would clear that up?

I have some ideas for my game now. This will be fun... Gonna have to crank out the actual game over the weekend due to work obligations during the week. Oh well, will be more like a 48 hr jam.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2018 15:58
I see I'm gonna have a lot of work to do to compete!

@Unlikely, O-H- !!!!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2018 20:05
Good luck all, wish I had time to take part.

Quote: "nor do I have access to my trusty Huawei drawing monitor."

What is this black magic you speak of, it sounds interesting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2018 23:36
@Phaelax: I-O!!!

@Batvink: Hopefully we do this again!
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 10:57
I will be putting the final polish on my entry today, and I’m wondering about formats and deadlines. For instance, I’m writing this at about 5 am local time. What is the deadline for entry? And what do I need to include? I would assume a zip of the entire project?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 18:58 Edited at: 14th Jul 2018 18:58
Quote: "I will be putting the final polish on my entry today, and I’m wondering about formats and deadlines. For instance, I’m writing this at about 5 am local time. What is the deadline for entry? And what do I need to include? I would assume a zip of the entire project?"

I'm thinking about creating a new thread; "Submission & Judging" to allow everyone to post a zip file of their final project entry, make it easier to for me to see/find them. I'd also say the deadline would be July 16th 11:59pm pst. This should give everyone enough time. I might be willing to give a grace period for anyone who can't post an entry until later the next day because of life or issues, let's say 12 hour grace period. I plan to give myself a max of 3 days to judge and score the entries.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 20:05
Awesome creations folks..
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 20:58
@Josh I think a new thread would work well.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, please make a new thread.

And July 16th 11:59pm pst sounds like a good deadline. ( I didn't specify the exact time, since I thought "around monday" was precise enough -- but for those struggling finishing the game, a sharp deadline is pretty important)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 22:15
are you judging and producing the winner too even though you created the thread up .

should be really about similar to x-factor

how many judges are there??
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 22:26
Ive seen a thread pass me by about AppGameKit Challenges that must have been once on here and looked like they were judged by the the someone that produced the challenge at the time, thats why i asked - is this similar to that

will there be anymore of these - cause ill take part next time

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 22:36
Quote: "are you judging and producing the winner too even though you created the thread up ."

For this competition JLMoonDog is the only judge

The coding challenges were judged by the winner of the last one
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 22:47
thanks for clarifying me
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
@puzzler2018: The judgment is performed by JLMoondog, not me! That said, I have decided to disqualify myself for breaking one of the unwritten rules. (but still wanna hear my score!)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2018 22:56 Edited at: 14th Jul 2018 22:56
Thanks again for clarifying me

will enter the next one

sorry been too busy with memory management and crafting
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 03:52
Well, I didn't get very far in a week. All you can really do is place pieces of wires around the screen, so I'll give a summary of what my goal was to do.

The basic gameplay was going to be similar to pipedream, only with electrical wires. But there are obstacles. As you run the wire through the walls, you may encounter studs. Some will have pre-drilled holes you can feed your wire through, others you will not. The good news is, you have a power drill. The bad news is, the battery sucks and it takes awhile to recharge after each use. So plan your route carefully! Oh, and you have a limited amount of wire so don't waste it.

The ultimate goal is to feed your wire from the electrical box to a mouse trap. Yes, it's a powered mouse trap and you're a kitty electrician, what of it! And you better hurry, the mouse is smart and if you wait too long, he'll figure out how to turn the power on while you're still holding what's left of the wire!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 04:08
Sounds good to me Phaelax
some really creative work going on
fubar
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 04:29
Still got about 30 hours left to submit an entry!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 11:51
Well half of those hours I'll be at work! I spent my weekend working on my super secret IT closet and going to the beach. Priorities ya know But I'll see what I can get accomplished tonight.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 21:11
Phaelax a person of your experience im sure could knock something up with limited time just would be nice to see
what you did have so far for the creativeness atleast
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:44:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:44:33