Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Low Poly and Light inspiration and community ideas

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2018 21:19
@janbo: you are writing shaders just like I make my cofee every morning...
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Aug 2018 21:20
Practice makes perfect...
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2018 21:20 Edited at: 24th Aug 2018 14:30
That's cool puzzler if that is what you enjoy then knock yourself out! I can see where it'd be enjoyable from a technical perspective to work that way.

I wouldn't want to tackle a full game of any real size in terms of content that way though. It seems like it would be many times faster to build a model in a modeling program. BUT I could see where one could take your approach and make tools such as an optimized 3D tree model creator, rock creator perhaps plants and so forth. And your programmatic approach would be a huge strength for such things.

I used to use Blender a lot and have 2 to 3 books around here on it but honestly for 99% of my 3D modeling I use the same thing since 2000.... Anim8or. Doesn't get any simpler than this imo and it's free too. Might be Windows only though not sure.

There are different ways to model (box modeling, point modeling, edge modeling, etc) and each person will be more comfortable with one of them compared to the others. And of course sometimes you may use certain ones when working on specific things.

Not that I am a great game artist. I've worked on graphics for my game projects for decades and have improved a lot but am still nowhere near what a real artist can do. But tools and workflows can make a big difference especially for programmer types like us.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2018 21:21 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2018 21:24
Double post, deleted
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 15:38 Edited at: 24th Aug 2018 16:23
Hey @Xaby just wanted to say when I wrote "good luck making something like that" I only meant games like That Dragon and all of the others are made by teams of 10 or more experienced people over some years of time. Even the smallest team of 7 still contracts out work to a few other people.

After being on Unity forums and seeing people continually talk about wanting to and trying to make games like COD, Witcher 3 etc I think it is important to keep the scope of work in mind at all times.

Not saying you cannot make a game that has some content that looks as good as That Dragon or the other games here just that it is important to keep in mind what one person can achieve and that such games as these were made by many people often working full time on the game.

But it is certainly reasonable for a part-time solo developer to design a game with a much smaller scale and focus on making everything in it look superb!

Do any of you here ever team up to make games?
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 17:30
I once did in DBpro times but we never finished it.
Now I would like to be part of a good project again.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 17:40
Sorry folks, im tied up with Minecraft but will look out again in 2019
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 18:28
Here is a highly polished low poly game made mainly by one developer in about 5 years (including a year or more full-time after he quit his job to focus on the game). The publisher did contribute some work IIRC from the developer's dev log the publisher took care of adding the opening cinematic sequence.

Still it seems like a very nice example of low poly game and very impressive very polished for primarily only one person developing it.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 18:59
Sorry - couldnt resist

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 18:13 Edited at: 25th Aug 2018 18:31
Figured hey it's Saturday and have more free time... so why not...

Although it is fun to make little scenes and such and I have seen thousands of them (Unity folks spend days, weeks even months just building cool looking scenes) I've never quite understood what the point of it is unless for an intro to a game or something like that. I suppose maybe the point is just playing around having fun doing something you enjoy.

It actually was fun building the tree model and saucer, adding some extra lighting and programming it. Next time I turn on the laptop I will be back to the Tower Defense game.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 18:47
Quote: "I've never quite understood what the point of it is"

Or they can try anything
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 19:03 Edited at: 25th Aug 2018 20:53
Well a lot of people who work on such things just love graphics period. So I can understand for them they gain a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction working on a scene for a long time and seeing it all come together.

For me graphics are a means to an end. I gain the most enjoyment from making games bringing a playable game world to life. A kind of interactive micro slice of a virtual world. So I make graphics only (mainly) because I have to make some level of graphics to make a game. BUT I do like the ultra low poly look and I greatly appreciate the efficiency of working in that style so I do have an interest in that.

Probably why many people team up to make games. You have a programmer who wants to get into the coding and bring a game to life even if it is with rectangles and cubes. And you have an artist who wants to make very cool looking graphics even if they aren't actually used for anything. Put those two people together and magic can happen.

------------------

I took advantage of this work to do some more experimentation.

I don't see how to bring the materials / material colors into AppGameKit.

Even when I explicitly painted the model in Ultimate Unwrap Pro and exported vertex colors it came into AppGameKit in monochrome. Doing that I could actually see the different sections I had painted with different colors but they were not actually colored.

It was like the entire model was in gray tones and the different colors were represented in the model as slightly different levels of brightness. So I had to export the texture and do it that way for the saucer.

I would much prefer to be able to just paint the models with material colors in a 3D modeling software or in a tool such as UUP than to have to make a texture for every object.

It might be a specific workflow that I just have not tested yet or it might be it simply isn't possible without some kind of shader.

Has anyone got this to work?
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 10:21
as it seems, agk does not load the vertex colors. i m not sure if once someone solved this to a degree, but can't remember who or where.
i do it like this: I make a color palette texture. then i split up the model in th uv editor and place the faces on the right color field. size does not matter, as it is a single color with no pattern. this way you can use one textures for all the objects in your game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 11:01 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 11:02
Thnks Green7 I was wondering about that if it could be done that way in Ultimate Unwrap.

That'd be the next best thing and make it easy to limit an entire game to a fixed base palette too.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 11:09 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 13:44
This comes up again... !?
How unconvenient Someone (or Paul !) should build that into AppGameKit already

I made this for a project

I also worked with images but created my own single pixel images as I wanted something more dynamic and did not want to check all objects for their color. (sure you could then pre generate an atlas image from that)
If you know the meshes vertices i'm sure you can use SetMeshMemblockVertexColor too
Not sure if this command creates the mesh attribute entries too
But you can also do it yourself.
Look into this thread: Load Object with Color

[Edit]
I forgot, you need to add the color attribute in the vertex shader pass it to the pixel shader and handle it there like so
Vertex Shader

Pixel Shader

[/Edit]
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 17:12 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 17:22
Thanks janbo. I agree this kind of thing should be built in. Seems strange the models aren't loading in the vertex color information since that is such a basic attribute of the model.

I think it would be probably less work to just use the palette texture approach Green7 mentioned and in this way basically one could have a single tiny image that every model is mapped to.

Anyway, I just spent another dev session trying multiple ways and formats (.obj, .x, .dae, .fbx) to get the color information loaded in and not one of them worked to load the vertex colors despite me exporting that for every one of the tests.
I tried various approaches in UUP as well of welding and unwelding, repainting, etc. Nothing mattered. Which is very odd since the documentation specifically mentions "color" as one of the attributes. Maybe it is referring to a single mesh level color I don't know. Maybe the original idea was that people would separate every model into multiple meshes by color?

Anyway, I didn't want that time spent to be a complete waste so at the end I redid the saucer landing scene since the original was very low poly and as a result the shape wasn't so great.
But I only did a subdivision and in the process probably lost the flat shaded aspect but I don't care at this point. It was just a quick work to get something out of all of the time I poured into experimenting trying to get the damn colors to load!

Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 17:53
@GarBenjamin
GarBenjamin wrote: "Do any of you here ever team up to make games?"

I guess, in someway we are teaming up. AppGameKit get's new features, we help eachother and so on.
I also guess, that the AppGameKit community is much deeper into solving problems, than in the Unity/Unreal community.
I guess, that if the Engine is more popular, also more people thinking about making money out of it and don't do it for the challenge of the programming riddle, but to do the game quick.
That is a problem in many areas. Working with artists is not easy, if they have there own visions, but don't want to understand, that programming is needed in some cases.
So I guess, a lot of the artists are trying out Unreal or Unity, watching some tutorials or so, but after getting the asset into the engine, they give up, because it is to complex and they draw or make there music and publish only the pictures or books or music.
It is also not easy to team up for bigger projects in the creative area of the photography. Creating something visionary. Taking a picture, having a great location, some makeup and so on, is kind of easy.

I am seeing making games more like making a movie. And for that, planing is needed and every person would have to have there role in the project. And that is hard for longer, mostly unpaid projects.

Coordination also costs time.

I think, it is possible to do a game "alone", but in reality, nobody does it alone. I would use FPS Classic assets, use Photoshop, take pictures, use AppGameKit and so on. Products other people and companies have done for "me".
I guess, nobody achieves something completly alone.

from "a dishwasher to a millionaire" or self-made millionaire ... neh.

Maybe someone dreams of it. For me it is ever a work of many. Family, friends, supporters. Not in money. But in the idea, in mental support and friendship.

So if I will have one day a complete game, I didn't made it alone. Only with the help of you guys.

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 20:59 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 21:01
One day ventures, then the outside world would probably see it been a one day venture and never to be continued - so the outside world would never get interested

On the other hand - spend some time on your projects and do it well - will make things better for you in the long run, either a one man band or a joint venture.

With Joint ventures though - can get really messy.

Remember Notch - in his time, he had a team and now they all have disowned him even as a freind - that must really hurt - so I would probably stick to been a one man band - then only
going to either hurt or be happy your own self

Back to programming
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 23:23 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 12:58
Xaby while I completely get what you are saying and recognize it I don't really look at it that way just because first it is just the way things are these days as far as what we have available for game development. I mean it is not like we have any extra advantage from using modern dev frameworks such as AppGameKit, Gamemaker, Unity, etc. over anyone else doing game development now. Compared to decades ago sure.

And that is the second thing... for me other than not having to spend time writing low level code for graphics, music, etc up til very recently I have basically not taken advantage of many of the features available in modern game dev environments.

So certainly we do build on the work others have done to one degree or another but then so is everyone else who is making Indie games. This is a different thing to actually working in a team. I do agree though that finding the right people to work with is not so easy. It is the main reason I have always been a lone wolf developer. I have tried teaming up several times and of those only the most recent attempt succeeded. That was about 4 years ago when I teamed up with another fella on the Unity forum and it resulted in a completed game.

It was just a free game for web portals and mainly just to test once again teaming up with another person. And in that case it worked out very well in fact the other developer worked every bit as much if not much more than I did on that project. And that was refreshing. There was no conflict but I think a lot of that is because I am pretty easy going. If someone feels very passionate about some ideas I would probably have the view of "whatever... let's do it".

For a team project I mean. Now when it is something I am working on with very specific ideas of how I want it to play, etc then of course I would be more inclined to stick to my own ideas while still incorporating some of what the other person is saying. Basically I think the main issue with teaming up is when people are so darn rigid so I try not to be so darn rigid any more. lol

I have contracted out work quite often. Hiring artists to do maybe 50% of the art sometimes. I definitely can understand where you two are coming from. Because sometimes we just don't want someone else messing with our stuff so to speak. This is where contracting out paid work comes in very handy. Just hire folks to do this and that pay them and that is it. BUT I think it would be interesting to explore teaming up again on a game so might do that sometime.

Well puzzler sure there will be examples of things like that happening but at the same time the vast majority of successful Indie games being created are being created by teams. Might only be a tiny team of 2 to 3 (which to me seems like a HUGE team compared to only 1 person) but still it makes a huge difference compared to one person trying to do every single thing themselves. Although I have leaned that way myself for most of my life too. I just am trying to become more open-minded on teaming up because I can see the benefits of doing so. Basically completing the same scope of game much faster and probably at a higher quality level too OR being able to complete larger games in the same amount of time as one person can complete one tiny game.

Anyway yes back to programming (and graphics) for me as well. Want to get in one more dev session on the game before the weekend ends.

Sorry about taking this off the tracks just wanted to reply. So yeah let's focus on low poly 3D models and lighting again!
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 08:23 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 08:44
I basicaly would team up, the problem is, that it depends on work and on my other hobbies if i am able to work on my tasks or not. so, and it depends on how well organized the project is, if it loses momentum i lose my interrest.

about inspiration, in my oppinion this guy is a true master:

Edit:
And another one:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/20231797/Low-Poly-Characters
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 14:43 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 15:18
Green7 same for me. Game dev is a hobby done for fun occasionally in my free time and you are right that is another challenge in working with other people. Most want to go into it with a rule like "work at least 10 hours every week". That's too rigid. I see it like "make some progress every week" is the important thing. Hours requirement makes little sense because some have more free time than others & some are much faster than others. I don't have a lot of game dev time but I think I am very fast when I do focus on game dev.

Wow! Yes those scenes in that video you shared look fantastic. I like how you can basically read what is going on just from the way the characters are posed in the still shots.

This is a perfect example of the benefits of folks teaming up. When I look at a video like that I think "looks very cool. Now how much can it be simplified to make it realistic for me to achieve in a reasonable amount of time?" where I am sure others who have done a lot more 3d modeling than I have look at it and think "I could do that fairly easily & quickly!"

That might be worth discussing...

Has anyone here made any low poly characters or even full scenes like the shots in the video above?

If so be cool to share a screenshot or video of it as well as some info on how much time it took to do it.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 16:14 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 16:16
Xaby... just wanted to say I certainly don't mean to throw your thread off track and just trying to contribute to the discussion. So if it isn't going in the direction you intended or if I should just shut up then definitely post what you are wanting from it and / or tell me to shut up and I will. LMAO

Just trying to explore achieving such results how much work is involved how realistic is it and that leads to consideration of multiple people involved instead of one person trying to compete with work of multiple other people etc.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 17:24
Quote: "Has anyone here made any low poly characters or even full scenes like the shots in the video above?"

working on it... just to ckeck if my anim workflow is doing ok in blender. have to switch back to max eventually. got the lopoly char from the webs for fre, nom modifying for my needs. took me some like 2 or 3 hours, but due to slowly geting used to blender... in max i would be faster, but i need to train different tools. has a standard walking anim loop by now.

Attachments

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 18:58
Quote: "as it seems, agk does not load the vertex colors."

I think AppGameKit does load colors.
Please try to load any of the attachment cubes in fbx or dae format (I included also the UU original file)

Attachments

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 19:27
dude, it works... but how? i feel i gonna learn something new!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 19:47 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 19:49
I just tried it too and can see colors kind of a color chart like from a paint program's color picker going across the cube.

Like Green7 asked though "how?" I tried numerous ways saving with different model types and all I get when loaded into AppGameKit is this...

Yet the saucer model is painted. When I load it into UU it is all colored appropriately. In AppGameKit looks like the screenshot above.

Also Green7 that is an excellent looking low poly warrior!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 19:52
Quote: "dude, it works... but how?"

I am glad that I contributed to this thread.
I created a cube from within UU3D and paint the vertices (using the UU3D)
I exported using the default parameters for fbx and dae respectively.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 19:56 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 19:58
great scott! i got it! in blender you ned to set blender render as renderer. then you set the mode to vertex painting, and let it go. you can even select faces for sharp edges! i'm gonna be so creative!

EDIT: thanks george++ !
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 21:01
I can paint the models in UU but the colors don't load.

Green7 are you saying after painting in Blender and saving the model when loaded into AppGameKit the colors show up?

Just like some clarification because when I view the saucer above in UU the faces are colored because I painted them but in AppGameKit it all goes away.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 21:25 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 21:30
yes the colors show up.

edit: cube attached.

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 22:33
Cool. I will check it out and *maybe* try again to import a model in UU paint it, save and load into AGK. Definitely will check out your cube just saying not sure I will do any dev experiments myself since I was going to take tonight off and have been doing dev all day at my job. Lol
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 23:13 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 23:14
This was a yet another unfinished game about a london garbo. it was from a guy who comes up with the weirdest, funniest game ideas.

Attachments

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 04:39 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 04:54
blink0k that is some very stylized stuff. I wouldn't have even known it was 3D. Looks 2D to me. Looks very well done!

------------------------------

Well I couldn't stay away from giving this another try. Crazy thing is I couldn't even remember how I had painted the faces the last time in UU and seems like this time I did it a different way.

At any rate yeah it is super easy and the colors are now loading into AppGameKit fine. I don't get it. I can't even remember or seem to duplicate the workflow I had used for all of the other tests.
I swear I was doing it with the brush color itself. This time I selected faces, selected a color then hit Apply on the Modifier section of the color picker window with Blend mode selected.

I also found Ultimate Unwrap has an option to just convert all material colors (used in the 3D modeling program where the model was created) automatically to vertex colors. So that makes it even easier and is almost certainly the way I will handle this from now on. Just set up my materials as usual and color the model while making it and then go to UU and instantly convert those suckers to vertex colors. Cool stuff.

I still cannot understand how I did numerous tests of this and it never worked. LOL

Anyway... this is awesome!! The texture mapping part of 3D is a bit of a pain in the ass imo but to be able to just paint like this and have it actually load into AppGameKit is going to be super cool.
Going to have to do a 3D ultra low poly game after the current project is done.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 14:41 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 14:43
I will need to take some time after I finish my current game project to dig into this and experiment more. Because this morning I tried the same process I thought I had used last night for the automatic conversion of material colors to vertex colors and it didn't work. I mean it didn't even work in the Ultimate Unwrap view itself. It said 7 materials successfully converted but couldn't see a dab of color anywhere on the model. Lol

I am sure this is just that normal process in anything where there is some little simple step needed and once you truly know it is easy & makes sense. But until you do you get sort of random behavior like I have been experiencing. Need to be able to focus on it so will have to revisit it later on.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 12:11
Low-Poly without textures and or shadows, I guess. No lights, I guess.

I have also to do another thing first, but after this, I am full in.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 13:01
@Xaby:shadows are not included and the lighting is off, colours by vertex, maybe some textures, for the bags, or for the lid of the jam glass, or for the bread. ssao is in, without it would look not so good, i think. it would be hard to know if a object is floating or touching the ground without the very fine "shadows" around objets.
besides, it looks like a real fun game!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 14:24 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 14:25
That seems to be an exceptionally well done game. I know the focus here is on the visuals but dang I couldn't help but appreciate the fantastic game concept, interactions, "enemy" behavior and so forth. Make a game as solid as this and even looking nowhere near as good it would still be excellent!

On the visuals themselves seems like there is no light at all other than possibly some ambient light but looks like it could just all be the colors on the models themselves. Ah yeah nevermind that is what Green7 was saying with more detail. Lol
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 04:40 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 04:45
I added a large wooded area for the saucer to speed over then ditched the fence and started modeling a log cabin for the saucer to land near.
Only got a little ways on the log cabin and coded it up as is because I needed to switch over to work on my game project.
Camera transitions are abrupt but didn't have time to polish those. Another time perhaps. Might flesh this out into a large world in time who knows. lol
I've been getting into the habit lately of using tweens in AppGameKit... too bad it doesn't directly support a tween for the CameraLookAt!!
I can do that by using a tween for X, Y, Z variables though and will do that next update.

Oh everything in here is vertex colors now. Finally free of textures!

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 06:13
Looks good
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2018 03:22 Edited at: 31st Aug 2018 03:24
I decided to make a better tree model. Still not as detailed as the upper level low poly models but I didn't want to to do any more for the tree than I'd be willing to do for every other model.
I think this is about the limit of time I would spend on any one model. Maybe... possibly a bit more. But I think these are easily seen with no confusion as "hey trees!" and to me for a game that is what matters.

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Speaking of low-poly, I recently bought MakeVR Pro, a CAD program for VR. Found some vids showing the program:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY9rttVcAS7uiJq0w6vfHHg/videos

I could load the exported .obj files in AppGameKit, but sadly, it wouldn't load more than a single texture.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2018 14:33
Can you use the vertex coloring approach instead of textures in it or are you going for a different aesthetic entirely?
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Just tried it, but it doesn't seem to support flat vertex coloring.

Threw together some rectangles to create a guy:

Attachments

Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 14:03 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 15:34
Plotagon seems to be something like MyWorld / RPGWorld, but more in a way to make movies and "cutscenes".

Maybe this could be another community project, to create a bunch of assets or scripts, to have something like a tool-kit for short animations.

Dead Trigger (Unity game) to Polygone-Style (for Plotagon)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 15:36 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 18:09
I guess everyone already has a project they are working on. I spent some time working on some ultra low poly pieces for the saucer scene but wanted to get back to focusing on my current game project.

It depends on the quality of assets you are wanting too. If you are looking for only stuff like these videos has... basically best of the best... I'd think that is a lot of time and work someone would need to allocate.

If it is just any and all 3D ultra low poly models that are already set up for flat shading that is a lot simpler request that many more people would be able to contribute to.

Also doesn't TGC themselves have 3D Asset Packs? This might be something they could contract some experienced artists to produce since your whole point here is to have stuff available for users of their product to be able to hit the ground running with.

I am basically looking at doing the same thing from a programming perspective. Like to have GeneralHelper.agc, 2DHelper.agc and 3DHelper.agc files that can be included in any project to cover the fundamentals... just the ones that seem to be missing from the api such as IsAngleBetween(testAngle=0, Angle1=350, Angle2=10), IsAngleWithinDegrees(testAngle=0, AngleToCompareTo=340, Degrees=21), SetSpriteFaceSprite(sprite, SpriteToFace), SetSpriteFaceCoords(sprite, x, y), GetShortestRotationToAngle(fromAngle, toAngle) and so forth. I am finding there are numerous little things like these that every person has to write duplicating such code again & again and these should really be immediately available through one simple function call each.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 20:21 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 20:22
@GarBenjamin

I guess, I would have to "clone" something like Plotagon in some case. I am working on a "Movie"-Maker for sometime and my idea is, that it works on a Raspberry Pi and the OUYA, and also other Low-End devices. And also works with a gamepad / controller, touch ...
My goals are:

- under 100 MB with all assets (not necessary a must have, but because of the Android Store and better download-speed and so on)
- about 1.000 3D Objects to choose from
- easy Animation-System
- easy Cutscenes
- Maybe "Game Templates"
- export as Source-Code-Game for more effects and other scripts and so on and changes

My project startet because GameGuru was and is, slow as hell in most cases, I want to use it. And the loading of objects is very complecated.
I had this idea, before GameGuru-Loader was a thing.
And there is no InEngine-Editor for fast prototyping. So there is no level editor on the Raspberry Pi and not for the OUYA / other Android devices.

My idea is, to set your level like in "The Keflings"

But I didn't know, how to implement an easy "script editor". And the solution in Plotagon is a good idea with it's limitations.

So I started a sup-project to convert the FPSC Classic objects. But they are also not all in the same artstyle and mostly to brutal for child's use on the Raspberry Pi.

I also like the MyWorld / RPGWorld idea. But in a lot of the cases it is "to complecated" or to "complex" and in some ways, it is not, what I envisioned.

I also guess, to have a share-system with other platforms, it would be to complecated, to have royalties in some way. So I would have to create the assets one by one, time after time, or use CC0 content.

Speech and Music are also a thing. But basics first.

At the end, it is for little prototypes. Movies, short filmes. Game ideas. Scenes and games like "Point and click", without complex gameplay elements. And all elements / objects have to be loaded in the same time. So now "racing" game or other long games with much 3D objects.
More like single screen games. Or with "Level" like structure, but very short levels.

But, I guess, this project, I am thinking of, is to much for one person.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 21:03 Edited at: 4th Sep 2018 21:15
@Xaby it sounds like a very interesting goal. Actually makes me think you kind of want to create a sort of miniature game engine like a mini Unity or whatever.

Well it is doable by one person it's like anything else I think where the real question comes down to is this something you would like to see complete so you can use it by next year? If so then probably much too ambitious for a single part-time developer given the current base functionality we have to work with. If you don't mind not having it usable til 2, 3 or more years down the road then it becomes a lot more realistic.

Also if you leverage skills / work done by folks such as Cliff and blenderman who both seem to have made some very nice 3D level editors in AppGameKit that should give you a nice jump start. And maybe they would be interested in it as well.

The idea actually sounds like a good thing to me too. I spent dev time yesterday mainly checking out some other game dev software. I generally dislike GUI editors but came across one that I saw many folks using in game jams the past weeks so checked it out and was blown away by how logical it is and was even a good experience for me when I tested it out. Course I have always been very anti visual game engine type of stuff for the most part... so anything that actually works quick n easy of course it would make a great impression on me.

Anyway that is what made me revisit my old idea of making a framework for game jams and game development in general. I realized the biggest issue wasn't some big stuff but instead a bunch of tiny fundamental bits of functionality that we should have immediately available to us. So I wrote some of those this morning before work and will finish the rest tonight.

And I say all of that just because I think to do something like you are wanting to do it is important to have a toolbox filled with every fundamental tidbit of functionality one would need and then one could build on that to make such a thing a lot easier.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 21:19
We talking about potential final outcomes here that we all love to see (but other companies work) - maybe get to the nitty gritty on getting to do the programming to build such resemblance apps lol
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 4th Sep 2018 21:50
dont get me wrong. but a good app requires time and patience, so if your all requiring an app thats complete by the weekend. Then Red Demption style games is not going to happen.

Bigger more time consuming and money raking in apps requires time,concentration.ideas ok - there are billions of ideas out there

We could talk for England 365 days a year on this,

So start developing guys!! The tools are there for us

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:43:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:43:55