Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / List of well known modelers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 16:33
Umm anyway I think that this has been covered, but If you can get 3ds max, if you can afford it, GET IT! You wont be disappointed.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 13:01
there's also a pretty cool new modeller called Silo that's only about 100 dollars, but seems REALLY powerful.

there's also a free version that limits saving objects of 100 or less faces.

http://www.nevercenter.com

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Hell Dragonz43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 05:36 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 05:48
[Edit]Blender is pretty good. I presonally dont like it 'cause its confusing (the layout), but its still good. www.blender.org (if u wana download it). From what i see, it supports so many features! One version even has a built in game engine !

www.freewebs.com/mycomputergames
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 15:30
okaaay, time to BLEND!!!

Name : Blender
price : freeeeee
web : www.blender3d.org

Blender is a free, powerful modeling tool that is not only very useful for low polygon models, but can also create and render very detailed high polygon scenes. It now supports the Yafray renderes directly, so it renders even better than before. It can also export to a number fo formats. Although i have never used it, there is a .x exporter. When used with 3d explorer and lihunwrap, it is almost perfect. I have yet to animate anything with it, becuase i model static objects mostly.

Pro's: Really fast workflow.
Excellent ploygon and vertex modeling facilities
Almost bugless
renders excellent stuff
lots of exporters
very affordable
always being updated

Cons: Intimidating at first
Complex animation system(maybe thats just me)
uv mapping (may have been added in latest version, i think it has)

All in all, this piece of software really can hit it out with the big guys for speed and quality, and sometimes i'd rather it over 3dsmax 6 which i use for pretty much all of my 3d stuff in college. I have also used Lightwave, and find blender to still be easier to use.
Oh yeah, i forgot, it can also model in nurbs and stuff very well.

So yeah, blender, its awesome, and well worth a look

regards
greenlig

I got best and fairest for soccer WHOOHOOO!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 11:18
hmm...that looks interesting will have to give it a go

"We make the worst games in the universe."
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2004 23:31
I just wanted to re-mention Metasequoia. If you want to use object/X based terrain in conjuntion with Newton physics, Meta has mesh deformation tools built in that are perfect for making hilly and mountain terrain.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 15:41
I don't see Hash's Animation Master or SoftImage XSI listed anywhere here. I'm currently debating between these two. Emails with Hash indicate that it has limited export capabilty. And getting any useful info from the SoftImage site in a real pain.
Has anyone used either of these and found them useful in themselves and for exporting for use in DBPro?

" Base 8 is just like base 10 actually... If you're missing 2 fingers! " - Tom Lehrer
Xeron3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2004 23:47
I would definitely say 3dsmax. Thats the only real modeling program that I use. I do 3D modeling and animation, and my company (Onyx 21 Studios.) programmers are skilled in both DarkBasic Pro and C++.

I have both DarkBasic and DarkBasic Pro, but I really suck at programming lol. So for our games I use 3dsmax for my modeling and render tests, and my 2 (we need more...) programmers use C++ for programming, but we ran a successful test with DarkBasic before. Anyways, Im getting REALLY off-topic here so...

3dsmax, to me its the best modeling program on the planet. Right now Im only 14 but I have around 9 or so months experience with max, and before that I was also a mapper and I used Cartography Shop...

My site is http://www.necksmasher3D.tk (its just my temporary site) and my company's temporary site is http://www.onyx21games.tk Anyways, see ya! I just need to learn how to program better...oh well I will just sticj with 3D modeling and animation (BTW, my name is Necksmasher.) See ya!

My 3D site: http://www.necksmasher3D.tk

I love 3D modeling, and 3dsmax, and Discreet for making 3dsmax, and of course chicks!
Xeron3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2004 01:10
stick* (sorry, i had a typo lol.)

Also, I am available for custom 3D modeling and some animation (im trying to get more experienced at animation.) I do freelanced custom modeling, and texturing. So if you are interested or want some custom 3D models done please email me at any one of these adresses:

- Viper680@hotmail.com

- Necksmasher@yahoo.com

- Necksmasher@gmail.com

Thanks!

My 3D site: http://www.necksmasher3D.tk

I love 3D modeling, and 3dsmax, and Discreet for making 3dsmax, and of course chicks!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 00:28
Sorry for the month old reply...

Hash Animation Master is wonderful for stills and animation, but leaves a lot to be desired for low poly game modelling. At least with the version that I have, when you export an animation to .X, it exports each keyframe as a seperate model/scene without bones. This creates HUGE files that are essentially play only.
--
TAZ

Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
gmax is not illegal to use in dbp. and u can sell games with gmax made models. plus, how the hell would they know ?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 10:41
Treemagic G2!

I love this software! Fantastic trees built in seconds.
Oh, and trueSpace! I love it!

1800+ XP - GeforceFX 5600 - 256MbDDR - 60Gb Hdd - XP Pro (SP2)
DeHonCha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 23:00
All ya guys MUST (i mean *must*) head over to this website:
http://fraktali.849pm.com/graphpro.html

This site is PACKED (i mean *packed*) to the brim (a little over flowing) with 3D resources.

Free models, webgraphics, free and free to try/purchasable 3D modelers AND animators, 3D engines and 3D Game engines, you name it, it's there.

And even for those 3Ders interested in 2Ding - fraktali is the site for you!

I hope this site helps somebody out there - we're all in this together...

For when they said I couldn't, I did...
DeHonCha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 05:44
Does anyone here have/has used JT Edit? Cuz, i'm having a grave problem with the thing...

When I use bones to animate the object and use Save As.. to save my models in DirectX format (I have dx9.0), the object just disappears. When viewing through DBC, there's no object nor wireframe NOT EVEN ANIMATION! Even though DB says the object exists...

I begging you REALLY BEGGIN ANY OF YOU to help me!

DeHonCha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 05:45
Does anyone here have/has used JT Edit? Cuz, i'm having a grave problem with the thing...

When I use bones to animate the object and use Save As.. to save my models in DirectX format (I have dx9.0), the object just disappears. When viewing through DBC, there's no object nor wireframe NOT EVEN ANIMATION! Even though DB says the object exists...

I begging you REALLY BEGGIN ANY OF YOU to help me!
Also does anyone know if Gmax export to .x WITH TEXTURES AND ANIMATIONS?
And one last thingy- any other modellers AND ANIMATORS that are GUARAN-DAM-TEED TO WORK IN DBC?

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 04:22
@dehoncha: dont stop the page from loading after you press the post message button, as your message will appear twice, if you didnt stop the page - dont double post

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2.0ghz, 512mb, GeForce FX 5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
DeHonCha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 23:14
thanks iang

Garry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 02:14
New one - modo. www.luxology.com
If you've seen the C4 advert on TV with the dancing transformer then modo was used as the modeller for that.
Currently on introductory offer at 695USD, full price 895USD.
Don't know anything else about it.
Endoxos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 03:05
Bryce by Corel, Metacreations, or Daz3D (Daz3D owns it now... I got mine when Corel had it).

Cost: $79-$99 (depends on whether you want it downloadable, boxed, or starter kit, respectively)

Pros : Wonderful landscape creator, fairly realistic texturing abilities (such as mishmashing two or more textures together to make a wholly new one), some animation support, loads of realistic water, sky, and lighting options. And very realistic looking define-by-slider trees! ^_^

Cons : Weak on modelling by polys, no measuring abilities (to my knowledge)... render time can be PAINFULLY slow (for a high quality pic with lots of stuff in it, it may take days to finish). Trees cannot be exported.

Opinion : Very good, if you need landscapes, rocks, and buildings, or just want to do 3d art (say, box or intro art). Look elsewhere for actual modelers though.

3DCanvas Pro

Price : It's on this site somewhere, and I'm too lazy to find it.

Pros : It's a good modeler, has the same feel as Bryce with a hint of Blender. Realtime rendering. POV-ray support. Modeling styles are very versatile (overlaying a picture with grids to "sculpt" a model, extrusion modeling, etc). Animation support using a skeletal system.

Cons : It can be a little quirky sometimes (such as points don't light up when you're right over them, but they will when you're trying to highlight a point nearby), and it suffers some from ocassional bugs.

Opinion : I learned to model on Bryce, and 3dCPro made me feel right at home with a very similiar interface. For all its quirkiness, it is a solid modeler, and well worth its price.

My signature is apisdn umop.
meatwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2005 10:00
Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forums and just happened across this post. I just started playing around with some 3d programs and am still in the process of finding the one that is right for me. There were some very good suggestions listed here but I didn't notice anyone recommending Carrara Studio 1.1. I just recently purchased a copy of Digital Creative Arts(issue 15 - http://www.paragon.co.uk/subsdca.html), and it had a completely free full copy of Carrara Studio 1.1 as well as a Carrara Studio 4 demo.

I haven't used it much yet, but it does seem to be rather intuitive and it has a nice quick start guide with some good tutorials. It has the option to export to a .3ds file, but I think you might have to bring it into another program to create bones and to save as a .x file.

Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with it. From what I've seen so far I'm pretty impressed, especially since it was free

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2005 01:06
This is kind of a bump for my original post on page one.

Some folks mentioned that they don't like Metasequoia LE (a freebie favorite of mine) because the help files are in Japanese.

Well, here's a handy tip to help you:

Go to here: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

In the 'Translate a Web page' section select Japanese to English and plug in this URL: http://www.fire-on-the-suns.com/meta/help

That will give you a rough translation of the help files in case you get stuck while playing around with Metasequoia LE.
--
TAZ

Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded and tried a good number of the popular freeware 3d modelers and could not get comfortable with any of them because most of them seemed too restrictive in their set up or range of operations. Then I tried Blender and I liked it.

Everything they warn you about using Blender is true. So far as what you can potentiall do with it the package is a freeware contender for the $400 to $600 price range professional packages. It is not particularly, however, user friendly in that it was originally designed as a production tool for professional modlers and was never originally intended to be a learning vehicle for newbies. In other words, it's got so many, many, many features that it can be downright confusing and intimidating. This means that newbies MUST download and follow the many tutorials found on the Elysiun forum [the companion site for Blender] and have a lot of patience and stubbornness.

There is the additional problem in that Blender is very picky about the type of graphics card that your computer uses. It kept crashing on me until the gurus on Elysiun told me to try turning off the card's hardware acceleration feature while using Blender. So far this has worked for me.

What I like about Blender is that it forces you to really think in 3d terms and perspective because you have total control over every step of the modelling process. This package does not hand hold the newbie. If nothing else you probably learn a lot more about modeling while trying to figure out Blender than you would learn with most of the other available freeware packages.

The second best freeware package that I used was JTEdit, but ultimately I found it so buggy that I gave up on it in frustration. Besides which, the author gave up on his own package and stopped updating it or offering support.

I downloaded Caligari's GameSpace Light but found that their tutorials were terrible and that whenever I tried to find help on using their product I kept getting shuffled off to sites where they told me that I had to pay to join in order to get their help. There was probably a genuine free information site for their product, but I couldn't find it. I just did not want to put up with the hassel.

If I find, however, that Blender ultimately won't work for me because of graphics card incompatability then I might very well give gamespace Light another try or just bite the financial bullet and purchase a low end professional package.

Opus

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 19:20
Does someone know any free modeler that CAN export animation in DBC?

I tried every free modeler in this forum...
Now i use anim8or, but it doesn't support animation...
I also used blender, wings3D, Calligari Truespace 3.2, Lightray3D, Metsequoia, Hamapatch and GMax.

Help would be welcome...
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 10:32
Milkshape 3D can export to .3DS, does that help?

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 128MB DDR, 80GB Hard Drive
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2005 01:17
everyone died

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 128MB DDR, 80GB Hard Drive
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 05:23
gameSpace 1.6
Price: 300$

Pros: Save as .x with the animations and .3ds, really easy to use and much more to list.

Cons: Renders bug sometimes

9/10

trueSpace 6.6
Price: 546$

Pros: Really easy, renders fast and good, save as .x, facial animator rocks and a lot more

Cons: If i buy it, i cannot buy any more 3d softwares (no cash)

PDAC 4 Ever! http://www.pdac-online.com
Current Projects: House Maker 1.0, The Killer 3D
[url=www.pdac-online.com][img]www.pdac-online.com/PDAC%20Logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2005 05:51
everyone died, again

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2005 02:34
Zero #43, you're a moron. You've been here almost a year and you still don't get it.

This sticky post is not a chat thread but a list of resources. IT ALWAYS DIES UNTIL SOMEONE HAS SOMETHING NEW TO POST. If you want a daily feed of chit chat, get thee to the general chat board and quit leaving meaningless posts here.
--
TAZ

Italy Portugal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2005 08:30
For those who want to save money for Maya, but want to start learning right away, download the Maya Personal Learning Edition.

I have not yet tested this out, but If you want to learn to model with Maya this is what you want to get first, a sort of try before you buy, I don't know if you can export to DB or DBPro yet.

to the side, I got MPLE with a book called "Game Art for Teens" great book!

I don't know! should it speed up or slow down?
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2005 06:14
mmmk, zircher, it must take a real moron to tell someone else that your a moron, u are just calling me a moron so you dont feel like your the odd one out(too late), i am saying that since your a moron, you want me to be a moron also.

--NORMAL CONVERSATION NOW--

Now, Maya Personal Learning Edition in my opinion was not that great. I would love to have the full version but when you render your objects in Smooth Shade in Personal Edition, it renders it, but there is a pic on top of your object, click view, its a picture of what i am talking about.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2005 06:14
that really gets in the way of what your working on

shado
Years of Service
User Offline
its called a watermark. who cares about the render view tho. you can always render in something else. zircher is no moron. he has been here longer than both of us and knows more than both of us. now plz keep the convos about the little bits of modeling programs outside this thread. it is suposed to stay clean

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 04:14
I still didn't find any modeler that supports animation in DarkBasic... (Now I tried milkshape, but it costs money... )
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 10:06
Did you try Cyberdelia?

http://www.cyberdelia.net/english/tools/cyberdelia.html
--
TAZ

shado
Years of Service
User Offline
simple blender tut from gamedev.net
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art/features/blender1/

PBX - Adrenaline at 300 feet per second!
Robot Booger
Years of Service
User Offline
GMAX is a good free modeller.
shado
Years of Service
User Offline
umm mentioned and dismissed already. last time i checked it was way to much work to get them imported into db.

PBX - Adrenaline at 300 feet per second!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2005 23:14
It's not too much work once you locate the proper resources, but due to licensing it is not the way to go. And, it is the express route to getting banned on this board. (I've already been banned once for talking about GMAX to .X conversion for DBP.)
--
TAZ

moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 22:47
Iv read loads in here but im not finding it to easy to decide on which program to go for.I want to be able to have an easy to find my way round interface and not get overwhelmed with an unnecessary amount of buttons & icons for drawing my moddle.Then i would want to add some textures iv used cshop for a few weeks and i dont like the way it seems to aply the textures its too much hastle if you have a complex shape and then having to alter every surface one by one.Then it would be nice to add some animaton to my moddle things like springs doors arms and legs and last of all to be able to save your days and days of hard work and then load it into DBPro without any problems or the need to convert it first before it will run in DBPro.

Am i asking for too much.Any help and advice welcome.
oh yeah one last thing cheap would be nice free even better.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 05:58
Polygon Modelling on a Budget in your garage on the weekends

3D Modelling Creation involves a few major areas or steps

milkshape is the homebrew choice for price, compatability and community
$20USD

Jtedit should not go unoticed as a free alternative

Skinning or UVWRAPPIMNG/ MAPPING

if your lucky lithium unwrap is still hosted somewhere
or buy unwrap3d.com just for its plethora of game formats.

2D IMAGE MANIPULATION for the skin and textures. on a budget

I swear by photoshop as ive used it for about 10 years but ive also dabbled in every
2d package i can get my mitts on

the cheapest free most advanced tool i would reccomend is the Gimp.

theres also a plugin that gives the GImp a photoshop toolbar ! nice huh

paintshop pro 5 is free on the net but higher versions are about $80 US by memory

Pixia is a freaky program but its free and worth keeping around as a tool to create
base textures or patterns.

if you get ahold of any of the Painter series you will find riff files
will help generate amazing patterns using random dynamic spraycan nozzels.

look out for something called Paint.net as well.

Canvas6 was free on a magazine ages ago ( not 3dcanvas by amablis but thats a good program to get to grips with 3d with)

the texture maker application sold on this site as well is amazing at its ability
to tile and generate tiles with patterns. for many games you cant live without it.

reptile is a free program for pcs on the net that pales in comparison to the above
but they work hand in hand for cool effects.

Animation

Character FX used to be sold and had good DBP compatability but the author of that package isnt around much any more.

Milkshape is an average animator once you get to grips with its nuiances, its by far hardly the best but it will get you by, you can import .bvh now as well from poser 3.0 which is free on the net somewhere.

well that isnt industry standard but it will allow you to get started and then you can choose different tools if you go pro or go serious.
others swear by a particular package and thats very valid but each package seems to work for other people so you have to try as many as possible so you can see how your work flow correlates with the packages toolset.
eg: i use this program called amapi at the very first polygon shaping stage as i love nurb modelling at the start then i switch to polys and uvwrap it afterwards. Another Pro user might dev in 3DStudioMax and with chilliskinner perform his polygon modelling and uvwrapping then with photoshop paint on the characters skin.

Everyones gotta start somewhere

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself &#63743;
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 01:00
Thanks indi, great post for those starting up... No excuse now for those who want an opinion for the "best" modeler... besides the fact that there are already a ton listed...

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 03:40
Would Maya 6 unlimited work on my computer even though I have only got 256MB of RAM? It would'nt damage my computer would it?

Thanks in Advance!

You Don't know the power of the Dark Side!!
Oh but I do!!
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 18:13
Allow me to introduce you to an amazing tool called google. You go to www.google.com and in the white box in the middle you type 'maya 6 system requirements' you then click the little search button at the bottom, and amazingly, the first site on the results says 'maya 6'... hmm... mabey we should click on it? Ok so now we get to this maya 6 page, but we wanted to know about system requirements right? So go find the little find (or find on page) button and type in 'system requirements' and wonder of wonders! It brings us right to a link that says 'system requirements' so we click on this little link and it goes ot Alias Producs listing the list of system requirements, we go down to hardware requirements and find that your RAM is not even close to what you need (512 MB), bummer, try again...

And did I mention that it took me longer to write this post than it did to find the sys. requirements?

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 18:49
wings 3D looked good cus it open-source, i like open source, but source for mac only
3d chat
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I used to like real3d does anyone remember this tool?

It had real realistic render results. It was hard to learn, but I guess not harder than lightwave which I am tring now. It still exists at http://www.realsoft.fi/

Is it still a cool tool compared to lightwave?

last time I used it was back in 1991. At that time it was the fasted and most realistic raytrace tool available.

You could really easily creating thing like lenses that actually magified things when you looked trough it. Ball (or spheres) where really solid round object not poly's. I have trouble making nice round balls in lightwave.

I am thinking of picking up moddeling again since coputers are a lot faster now than the 7 mhz I used back than but I am not sure what to choose. I do prefer solid primitives for hollow ones.

And if anyone know, how is the animation system of real3d comared to lightwave (one of lightwave's big pro's)

regards

hans
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 06:53 Edited at: 29th Mar 2006 06:54
An updated DirectX export utility for you Blender fans out there.

http://development.mindfloaters.de/DirectX_Exporter_Mod.8.0.html
--
TAZ

[Included here so it does not get lost later.]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:58:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:58:13