Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Multisync 0.1 - Multiplayer plugin for DarkBASIC Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 06:23
Yes. It was an experiment I was doing and never got around to changing it back. Don't worry, after the rewrite it'll all work better. When that will be I don't know though

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 08:02
im also using this code

and it seems to allways display 0 , either the players in my game dont exist and are in my imagination or im doing it wrong.

anyways i hope you rewrite it soon as my current project relies on, online play and without your plugin im lost :p, it would also help if you could give an example of the cubes+matrix demo but with multiple clients, as the code doesnt make much sence as i assumed the server was player number 1, but the server send net message sends it to player 1 as does the client example, all very confusing.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 08:41
Quote: "and it seems to allways display 0 , either the players in my game dont exist and are in my imagination or im doing it wrong.
"

You are probably trying to do that as a client, which you can't do.

Quote: " it would also help if you could give an example of the cubes+matrix demo but with multiple clients"

Will do, when time allows.

By the way, what kind of game are you doing?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 09:16
nope the player checking was only being run by the host, although i wasnt the host the host sent me a screenshot and all the vlues displayed 0.

im coding a stargate based, fps/space shooter rather ambitios project :p

and another thing to add in your next release, make it so less people in the world have routers so my game can be tested more easily :p

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 10:05
Quote: "nope the player checking was only being run by the host, although i wasnt the host the host sent me a screenshot and all the vlues displayed 0."

Doh. Well I'm not sure what the problem could be, but rest-assured it won't be in the rewrite.

Quote: "im coding a stargate based, fps/space shooter rather ambitios project :p"

Oh cool. You planning on having it like a constantly running online world or more like one where you play with a group of friends?

Quote: "and another thing to add in your next release, make it so less people in the world have routers so my game can be tested more easily :p"

Hehe, if only!

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 10:39
oh a whole world i wish,

the game will be like any other fps ie: 24/32/64 players per server, and each map will consist of a main terrain, and a secondary terrain (if there is a stargate on the map) the gate wont be dialable it will be active or inactive depending on the map, and the main terrain will be using a 1024^ heightmap, using my game scale should take around 10mins to walk from one side to another(along a single axis).

although the main playing field wont be so large, the map will consist of the terrain part and space, so the size of the map is necissery so that the motherships are able to move about for a decent enough of a distance before they get warnings of going off the map.

each of the maps will be recreating episodes of stargate sg-1 and atlantis (episodes with lots of action) such as lost city pt2, and the siege pt3, since they involve lots of ships lots of shooting and lots of fun .

the game will be solely online, although you will have to option of bot support and they will attempt to do the objectives inhand unless you outwit them which probably wouldent be too hard.

anyways, today i did a quick test with a friend and it seems to be working fine but im not overly sure howto implement more than 1 player. if your really interested in my project we could talk more

*cough*msn ^^^ not working *snezze* maybe you decided to block me *cough*

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 12:40 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2005 12:42
Sounds like fun. I'm not really much of a fan of T.V although I used to watch stargate quite a lot back in England.

Quote: "*cough*msn ^^^ not working *snezze* maybe you decided to block me *cough*"
Sorry, haven't used that address in months. I just tonight signed into it and there were like 5 people that had added me, you being one of them. I've added you(to my old address), so you'll probably see my new e-mail address and will be able to add that. I would post my address here but I hate spam so so very much. Actually, I'll add you next time I sign in.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 05:05 Edited at: 24th Jul 2005 05:08
hey,

isnt it strange how the examples work but they dont when i try to implement them?

i simply dont understand why it doesnt work properly, the code their is just my main loop and the multiplayer functions, im using the stack recieve function for both host and server because they are identical for now, being server vs player.

sofar what happens is server hosts a game, i type in their ip and i connect, my packets sent count goes up but im not recieving packets and the host isnt sending/recieving nay. is there something terribly wrong with my code?

[EDIT] ok after thinking to myself i thought, why wouldent the packets count be changing? maybe because the packets dont match and voila the pop float ammount didnt match the sent ammount .

well anyways get on msn

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 05:11
Hi, i have new problem. I was trying on LAN .. and wtf ? when i want connect to server, program crash ! i mean, my code is right. wtf ? :o)

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

☺☺ AthlonXP 2500+, Ati Radeon 9600 128MB, dualDDR 512MB 400Mhz CL3.0, SB LIVE!, monitor 19" ☺☺
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 10:17
Quote: "Hi, i have new problem. I was trying on LAN .. and wtf ? when i want connect to server, program crash ! i mean, my code is right. wtf ? :o)
"

Without seeing code I can't possible tell.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 18:26 Edited at: 24th Jul 2005 18:29
Benjamin: look, i dont want, what you want see .. code is:

for sending every 5 frame:

for receiving:

this is for server ... client receive data in reverse (bug?) normally like here, but with pop and sending commnad every 5 frame.

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

☺☺ AthlonXP 2500+, Ati Radeon 9600 128MB, dualDDR 512MB 400Mhz CL3.0, SB LIVE!, monitor 19" ☺☺
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 20:41
yes the data gets sent it reverse.

@ben, does this plugin work on win98se?, ias i tried to setup a lan game (saves finding routerless peeps) but as soon as i try to connect as host/client it just closes down :s

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 23:55
@general: Do you know the exact point that the programming is crashing? Also, did you forget to specify an IP in net host? Because that will cause a crash.

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 12:21
this looks very useful, and i intend to use it.

allthough i do have one thing to ask, even though im not sure that i have fully understood it yet:

would it be possible to create a similar dll that i can run from other languages, like - for example - VB or c++, so that i can have (for example), a client app that runs as a VB app, and a host that runs as a dbp app (or the other way around).

basically a dll that can be accessed from other languages which will still permit this version to communicate with the other.
i sound like im talking gibberish now, does any of that make sence?
and, possibly, if this is possible, could you make this for me?

this is because i have been toying with the idea of a client/server project management/code editor/database application, but a db app may not run on older 98 machines so well, as compared to a vb app.

www.AoFP.co.uk
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 17:47
It would be possible, but it would need a recompile with non-mangled function names which means also editing the string tables. I'll try and do it later today.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 18:23
you do that for him but dont reverse the packets

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 00:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2005 00:16
X Trade, here is the updated DLL. It can be either used in DBP or called standardly from other languages. You call as like you would any other DLL. Here are the function names:

net_finish
net_forcekill
net_getmsg
net_getmsgamount
net_getmsginsize
net_getmsgoutsize
net_getmsgtotalsize
net_getplayeramount
net_getplayerstate
net_host
net_join
net_kill
net_logoff
net_logon
net_makebuffers
net_makesockets
net_newplayer
net_packspersecond
net_popchar
net_popfloat
net_popstring
net_popword
net_pushchar
net_pushfloat
net_pushstring
net_pushword
net_receive
net_seekin
net_seekout
net_send
net_sendall
net_setbuffers
net_setportlocal
net_setportremote
net_stackoff
net_stackon

Bear in mind that no bugs in the current version of Multisync will be fixed, as I am soon(in about two months) to be rewriting the whole thing from scratch, so use at your own risk.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2005 19:08
and for the people who hate having to send packets in reverse ive made a nice n helpful few functions that reverse them

put

as the top of your code

and

at the end

you can call them asif they were the multisync functions and the net_send functions basically reverses all the packets which is handy , later on i may add sending strings to make peoples life more easy

Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 00:44
Never really looked into this until now. So where can I find a list of all commands, how to call them, and exactly what they do?

Also, what ports do I have to foreward on my router?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 02:45
I would hold off for a while if I were you. You see, the file got deleted in the server change, and well, I don't have the working source right now.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 80%
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 03:55
the working source? I have the dll from the first post..

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 17:45
Quote: "So where can I find a list of all commands, how to call them, and exactly what they do?"

Check the documents.

Quote: "Also, what ports do I have to foreward on my router?"

3998 and 3999, unless you set them to something else.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 20:17
well ill attach the multisync stuff just incase :p

that rar has the dll, 2 examples and a list of all the commands and what they do.

and leys you can change the port that it uses like me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kim Possible
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 23:24
Nice job, Benjamin! I'm rewriting my early skeleton to take advantage of this. Much more robust than the DBP stuff seems to be.

As for those complaining about "reverse order" - it's FILO - First In/Last Out. Common in networking. You think this is tough, go write some SysV networking...

I'd really like to have a standalone server that isn't 3D/Mickeysoft.

I'd be more than willing to look at helping to port the server-side code to work effectively as a relay without gui/proprietary entaglement. Then servers could run on a real server OS on real servers (none of which have 3D hardware. ) I'm thinking Linux/NetBSD/OpenBSD/Solaris server-side, Windows client-side.

Any interest, or do you already have plans to go that way - and do you want any help? (I have 20+ years of professional experience in Unix network programming, and worked on the TCP stack for Vaxxen back in the 80's.)

Thanks!
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 10:44
let say i have a host and a client playing how can i notify the cliet if another client joins?

768 DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
InDex v2.0[url]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58885&b=8 [/url]
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 15:12
for the server the 'net_newplayer' command will return the number of a player that has just joined so you could send a packet to all the other players that the player joined.

@kim i wrote some code up there a few replys ago that reverses the packets

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 01:34 Edited at: 20th Aug 2005 03:26
Kim Possible,

I have been thinking about this for quite a while actually. The main problem at the moment is that I haven't even used a non-windows OS yet (well, apart from mac OS), let alone program for one, so I have no clue what they are like.

Is it possible to make an application that runs on all of those OSs you mentioned without additional compiles or are the systems very different with that kind of thing? I thought it might be possible considering they are all Unix-like.

Coding it may be tricky for me to start off with as I've never done programming on another OS, and Winsock is the only networking API I've ever used, so your help would be very much appreciated. I think when I get a little experience it shouldn't be too hard for me, but until then it would be great if you could help me out when I get stuck.

I'm not planning on doing this quite yet as I have work to do on my current project, but when I'm ready I am going to rewrite Multisync, and hopefully get around to writing this.

Want to try the beta? E-mail me.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 05:22
iam having the problem too me and moggie tried to connect to the game I made and the client will close if It cannot connect so it connects and hes in and hes is sending info but iam not recieving any of it...and also on the server which I run it says that no one is it it...and when I close the server while he is still in it closes the client too so I know that it works but I just cant recieve any data.... also iam using the dll posted in your first message if that might have to do with anything....

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 12:41
ive had the problem with the client sending packets but the server not recieving them, i think my problem was the packets werent getting matched on the servers side or something, or maybe it was the port i used wasnt being forwarded.

also make sure you used the, net new player()

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 14:54
Quote: "iam having the problem too me and moggie tried to connect to the game I made and the client will close if It cannot connect so it connects and hes in and hes is sending info but iam not recieving any of it."

Lets see some code.

Quote: "and also on the server which I run it says that no one is it it"

?

Quote: "and when I close the server while he is still in it closes the client too"

Yes it does. Its funny like that you see.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 16:42
oh if the net new player() is the reason that its not working then lemme put that in just where exactly do I put it? will net get player state start working after I do that? ill be back after I get meh mcdonalds....x_x;

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 16:52
You put it in your main loop. And yes.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 17:53
thanks its working now but I was wondering is it possible I could just send a string without breaking it down?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 18:21
no

but usimg my cool 1337 reversing functions you could easily add support for strings, he he im like the help staff for this plugin only i dont get paid, and i dont come from a 3rd world contry and im not over phone but almost the same

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 18:53
Quote: "he he im like the help staff for this plugin"

You wish.

Quote: "ts working now but I was wondering is it possible I could just send a string without breaking it down? "

No. Well, not in this version at least.. Check the hints and tips page.

Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 19:43
so about the client window closing once the server window closes, well is there any way to get around that?

768 DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
InDex v2.0[url]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58885&b=8 [/url]
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 22:22
ok now i have a new problem.....when ever I send the first message from client to server after that I cant recieve anymore on the server unless its the exact same message.....is it a problem with my coding or do I have to clear the buffer or something after each packet?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 22:46
Quote: ".is it a problem with my coding or do I have to clear the buffer or something after each packet? "

You tell me, I don't see any code.

Quote: " so about the client window closing once the server window closes, well is there any way to get around that?"

Have the server send each client a message before the server closes. That or wait for the rewrite.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 00:37
Quote: "That or wait for the rewrite."

Dun dun, duuun!

You are not alone.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 02:33
ok I fixed my problem...but now I have another one but this is an older problem. Do I have to clear out the buffer after I recieve a packet or send one? The reason I ask is because when I send a different message it comes to the server containing the part of an older message. I was wonder if its something iam not clearing out of the buffer or something else..

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 04:14
nvm my mistake it was a reading error on my side everything is fine . its working perfectly

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 14:13
Quote: "Do I have to clear out the buffer after I recieve a packet or send one?"

No.

Quote: " nvm my mistake it was a reading error on my side everything is fine . its working perfectly "

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 10:30 Edited at: 19th Sep 2005 10:32
Benjamin,

I understand the basics of your plugin. But now I want to climb up a bit higher. I want to create a very basic walk around thingy like your examples. But with multiple clients connected to one host.
I can all get it to work but im messed up with the sending of coordinates from the host to the other clients. Because they get there own positions back too ( clients) . Looks like i need to do something with player numbers, id's?

Do you know a way to do this?

Thanks in advance

edit:
I'm sorry if this is asked already, i haven't read all the posts in this thread

.::Studying game design at the moment::.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 14:08 Edited at: 19th Sep 2005 14:11
There are two ways that I can think of:

1) Have an ID system. When a user joins, find a free ID for them, store it, and send them it so that they know who they are, and can ignore their own data in the messages. This method is quicker for the system to process, but not as network efficient as it could be.

2) Send to one player at a time. Each time you construct the message, you only put in data that isn't that player's data. Like this:

This way is more processor intensive, but more network efficient as you are sending less data.

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 00:19 Edited at: 30th Sep 2005 00:20
Hi Benjamin,
how to send memblock? any command like "Net_push_memblock player" available(or other way around)?
I have seen the post before, there is "net set buffers" to set memblock pointer and size, then use what to push memblock to other computers?
Thanks

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming, Anything basic I missed??"
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 19:53
Quote: "I have seen the post before, there is "net set buffers" to set memblock pointer and size"

Its a bit complicated that way.

The best way is just to do a loop, writing each byte at a time, like this:

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 22:44 Edited at: 30th Sep 2005 22:45
if i understand correnctly , does multisync send other computer a message in the whole pack when you call "net send", not every "net push"? right? if so, that's something nearly same like a controllable memblock.
BTW, I like your little acute icon.

AMD Duron1800+, 256 ddr ram, Gforce2 MX 32mb, 120gb, Windows 2000 advanced server. DBPro1.05. "Sorry for my english" "New to Programming, Anything basic I missed??"
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 23:52
Quote: "does multisync send other computer a message in the whole pack when you call "net send""

Yep.

Quote: "BTW, I like your little acute icon.
"

Of course you do. Who doesn't?

FlydOg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 05:27 Edited at: 24th Oct 2005 05:43
what's maximum buffer size for all and for each packet, benjamin?
If i use the "net make buffers" before net host, the program exit imidiately.

I got a error on log, I send a string packet nearly 14kb, is it too big?

[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=Internal Code:0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=36

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 05:58 Edited at: 24th Oct 2005 06:02
Quote: " what's maximum buffer size for all and for each packet, benjamin? "

The default buffer can hold somewhere around 1000 bytes of data. If you try and put more than the maximum amount of data in, it will crash(Forgot to put a safeguard in against that).

Quote: "If i use the "net make buffers" before net host, the program exit imidiately. "
Multisync is a bit buggy in some areas. That must be one of those areas. This won't get fixed as I decided to drop this instance of the project in favour of rewrite, which should occur sometime at the start of next year. What kind of project are you using Multisync for? Because perhaps my new plugin that I am soon to release would suit your needs.

Quote: "I got a error on log, I send a string packet nearly 14kb, is it too big? "

Just slightly.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 80% - 25%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:18