Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / The Ultimate Shader Thread 2.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 04:33 Edited at: 16th Jul 2005 04:34
@The Wendigo
sure,
try this effect it sorts the uv scaling problem when the camera gets right up close to the water.

also if any one is intrested iv gone back to doing shadows,
only have 2 lights atm

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/2071/evoss027hp.jpg
http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/3802/evoss032py.jpg
http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/3703/evoss043tp.jpg

still a hell of a lot to do till i can come up with a demo tho .

* add in zpass to control the zfunction (any one able to come up with a ultra fast box based ray tracing(or line of site)?)
* finish of generate stencil mesh function(so it works with animated objects etc).
* speed up everything (atm it very slow).
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 07:13
My gosh! Amazing work. I wish I knew something about shaders other than they look neato . Thanks for letting me use the shader! I think it's going to add a ton of shine to the new Pretest.

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Seva. djpeterson83@_!@hotmail.com
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 15:43

Wow, That's some really, really nice work, there!

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
FXTC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 17:38
@EVOLVED
nice work man

AMD 2,4 512MB RAM,2x200GB hdd,GforceFX5700GT128MB
EVOLVED0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 05:04 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 03:12
edit
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 18:48 Edited at: 6th Aug 2005 18:49
EVOLVED, since i becomed good in DBPro, i needed eye candy graphics. Your shaders and the other guys' shaders are simply awsome. Your amazing shaders will let me finally devlop an awsome game. My next game, ChaosZone (see sig), will be my first serious project that deserve to be showed.

Thank you EVOLVED, Ninja Matt and the other guys.
Like general said: Shader Rulez!

btw, it's cool because my new graphics card is supporting up to PS/VS 3.0

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-
Vlasov Alexey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 12:24
Hello
I have a question concerning hardware shadows in Dark Basic Pro. Everything works, pretty fast I should say, but is there any way to control shadow transparency? I never found this type of commands in Dark Basic Pro.
So, I got 2 questions concerning this matter:
1. Is it possible to do this via modified shader :\...e Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\Compiler\effects\stencilshadow.fx?
2. Should I patch one of the libraries and assign the default level of transparency manually?

And another thing - how is shader stencilshadow.fx integrated into core dark basic pro? Can I edit it or add stuff? If yes - are there any limitations? Is it possible to add a pixel shader there and what are the limitations for this kind of integration?

Thank you

Life is beast. Beast must die
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 09:08
Wish my GFX Card could handle this stuff

Click here to join our forums and get updates on game progress sooner!
EVOLVED0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 03:07 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 03:08
Iv just notes there were some issues with those functions i made when i was trying adding it to my editor i wip up. There are 2 examples this time one with random objects , and other importing a map from my cheap editor(just a bunch of box objects , ignore the import functions also). Most of the problems should be fixed but i still can`t figger out a way of sharing one object data on to another at a good fast rate(so the animation are the extact same etc). Hope it works n` all - ps 1.4 vs 1.1 .

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=634016

Also i "was" working on some full blown shader tutorials(in html) but it was takeing up to much time, so some time soon i`ll upload the shaders that iv got as Snippets. It includes bumpy cubic maping(ps1.4),parallax mapping(ps2.0),normal mapping(ps1.1) and some others that go from easy to hard (understanding wise imo). just got to finsh true hdr and water. Then ill start working on the next lot. But i really want to do a water tech demo like the quest 3d coset demo to show what dbp can do.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Caveman64
Years of Service
User Offline
I get texture smearing/bleeding when autocam is off and triangles, ressembling walls when its on. I have a geforce 5900
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 11:17
1) Whats Parallax mapping?!
2) Whats "true hdr"?

My Website:
Catalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " 1) Whats Parallax mapping?!"

It's kind of like a normal map, but can distort and in some cases do more self shadowing and other effects that make it look more like it's actually displacing pixels.

Quote: "2) Whats "true hdr"?"

HDR that isn't false...

HDR, coming from a photo background, is an annoying thing. Not the effect itself, I quite like it, but just the usage of the term dynamic range. It's a term that most people cannot agree on, and often used interchangeably with exposure latitude. Dynamic range is simply the range of tones between the lightest light and the darkest dark. In photography, 1 stop amounts to double the amount of light. So a scene might have 10 stops of contrast in bright sunlight with and area that has a lot of shadow too. The film will have it's own exposure latitude, which is just the amount of stops that it is capable of accurately recording. However, let's say it's only capable of 7 stops. That's 3 stops in the scene that it can not record, and you would choose your exposure to compensate for it. If you're using the zone system, you'd probably be exposing more towards the shadows....but in gaming, that would take all the fun out of it. When you shoot for the middle, you now have room at the top and bottom that are out of the exposure and will not record detail. The area that is right at the edge of the usable detail, most noticable in the highlights, will have a halo look (called blooming, halation, or other similar terms that mean generally the same thing, but people use them interchangeably way too much). Just one of those things that happens with film. Also, when trying to make it seem like you're recording a higher dynamic range, details are usually being pulled from the shadows too....which really, you're trying to make it seem like you have a broader exposure latitude by this and not a higher dynamic range.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 15:33
Anyway to apply transparency to an object with shading applied without it vanishing entirely or making it see-through? Using Ninja Matts normal map shader here, doesnt seem to want to work . Another anoying as hell dbpro bug?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 17:00
Q: Whats Parallax mapping?
A: Parallax Mapping is a technique used to distort the UV points in order to make them more perspective to the users current view.

In much the same way a texture is perspectively drawn on-to a surface to make it look more realistic; In the past year, the technique has been combined with Normal Mapping (a Per-Pixel Variation on Normalised Vertex Lighting) in order to provide a more realistic appearance.

Relief Mapping is the newest variation. This is an example of how each should appear in Dark BASIC Professional.
The Shader (as it is a single shader not multiple) is a Pixel 2.0 running in Dark BASIC Professional 1.05.2; as you can see there is a quite dramatic difference in quality.

Q: What is "true hdr"?
A: Good Question. Depending on who is talking about High Dynamic-Range depends on what exactly it means. Basically what it means is the Range of Colour Depth.

This is easier to explain actually stepping back in time to 8-bit 256-Colour Images. Now Image if your using a set 256-Colour Image Palette, your limited to how varying the colours you can show.

For example:

Now how Fake HDR works is rather than changing the colour palette you have available to 65,535 Colours (16-bit) or higher; what it does is similar to indexed colour of a GIF image. Where-by you have 256-Colours Adapted from a 32-Bit palette.

As you can see the Image Quality is far better, and you can now see much smoother cross of colours. Now HDR doesn't do this on colours per'say, but rather on the light intensity of each pixel.

This in-turn is affected by those pixels around it as well. As light does bleed in real-life too. So the result is we can see a far bigger range of colour (32-bit Floating Point -> 64/128-bit Palette) with Faked HDR. With Real HDR what this means is that rather than using an indexed style palette range per-pixel, it has that colour range 64/128-bit palette in order to show the colour and light range as we would perceive it.

I hope that clears both up.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 19:46
Sooo anyone got a bump mapping shader that works with transparency . Would use dbpros default bumpmapping if it didnt cause the mesh to explode violently without reason when trying to do anything with it...
neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
raven, do you have the .fx file of Relief Mapping for use in dark basic? to try it.
i was searching but i cant find it in the forum.
thanks

pd: i was working in a game that uses parallax mapping, or normal mapping etc but i have the same problem always, trying to apply the effect to a scene,, i apply the effect to the level (a floor and a wall, a different .fx for the objects) and the parallax mapping its visible on all except the top of the objects, and depending of the texture applyed, when you move all is messed up.

what is the problem? any idea ?
is somewere a .fx file for applying a bump effect simply?, i tryed
the .fx of this post and none runs well if you use multi objects with multi .fx in the scene.
sorry for my poor english!
very thanks
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 15:49
Quote: "raven, do you have the .fx file of Relief Mapping for use in dark basic? to try it.
i was searching but i cant find it in the forum.
thanks"

Yes, I have the Shader; but I've not released it publically yet.
A few reasons behind this,
a) it's s-l-o-w. on my FX5200 at 800x600x32bit just that Quad Example was running at 20fps, so really isn't quick enough for practical use just yet. Not without a particularly high-end system.

b) while it looks nice from that angle, there are some major issues. Particularly conserning multiple light-sources. I know the issue is actually with my GeForce and Dark Basic Professional, Radeons render correctly; but until the issue (which is known) is cleared up, not going to be in-use.

c) it's being used in a project that I'm not yet ready to make public, and I would rather not make parts of it public just to help the community or whatever. Apart from anything else, I'm not happy with how I'm treated when I do decide to be nice and provide things for the community.

d) it isn't practical.. I mean as far as Shaders go, plug'n'play things are all well and good; but who is actually going to use them if most people can't even understand basic lighting techniques?

At the end of the day people really do need to learn to work on thier games and worry about graphics later. Yes, Shaders can provide some very good graphical enhancements; and if you go in-depth enough they can tie in with physics to provide more interaction... still they can't make a game good.

I would much rather provide some Post-Process Shaders, to enhance the visuals of a game like Prince of Persia or Guild Wars does. Rather than provide a number of Shaders that would require quite an extensive explaination on how to use and impliment effectively.

Normal Mapping itself isn't something you can just plug'n'play. It requires a quite dramatic change to your graphics pipeline in order to make it a worth while Performance vs Quality enhancement over Bump Mapping. Most people here don't even understand the concept of polygon-texture-objects speed relationships. With Shaders you need to think on so many more levels in order to make sure the performance of your game doesn't crawl to a halt on anything except high-end systems.

Until I can see enough people with the knowledge and understanding at, atleast that level of games development. I don't want to put something out there that will basically require either my full-attention to help people impliment or see just go to waste.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 09:15
How come this thread got unstickied? x_X Took me a few moments to find it >.>;

Anyhow, Raven:

I am VERY interested in hearing more about those post-process shaders if thats something you would consider ^^ Havnt played guild wars but I know prince of persia looked hot as hell. Often whilst playing the two games (sot and ww) I wondered just exactally what was going on to give it such a.. well unique look. I often assumed that there was something being applied to the screen as a whole rather than each indivudule object? Oh im sure theres plenty of effects running on the objects, but it seemed like the whole screen had a slight blur or something going on. Is this what you mean by post process shaders? and is that something dbp/darksdk can even do? I often wondered about using shaders for performing screen effects or even image effects, but have been a little uncertain if I could even get db to run them as it has a command to apply a shader to an object and I dont see any way to execute a shader either on its own or on an image etc.

I do have DarkSDK though so I am exploring the idea that I could create my own shader implementation for that sort of thing if I required it o.O But shader programming itself is going to take me some time - i bought gpu gems on recommendation and its a great book, excellent weapon (hardback ed i have weights a ton XD) but i cant help but feel that it wasnt the best idea for an introduction to shaders >>; ohwell, all my money spent now anyway.

Gah, tangents - yes, if you would like to explain the post process shader stuff or even provide an example of one im all ears ^^

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 13:28
any support for shaders for people with Geforce 2, according to the program everest I have Pixel shader v0.5 and I tried a HDR shader and it worked...so I know theres a few, is there anymore out there?

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@EVOLVED:
Quote: "It includes bumpy cubic maping(ps1.4),parallax mapping(ps2.0),normal mapping(ps1.1) and some others that go from easy to hard (understanding wise imo). "

Great...
Did you fix that problem with your normal mapping shader (which could work with 8 lights) that problem with the rotated object and incorrect lighting... you know...

Cheers... Good Luck!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 23:11
NinjaMatt,

D'you know why your shaders have trouble with meshes with complex UV mapping... is that a general shader problem? I've been trying to get parralax or normal mapping working on a properly UV mapped canyon mesh of mine and the shader just distorts the mapping very weirdly.

If I looking for blog
that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 00:25
it sounds to me that your normal map or whatever map your using isnt propperly set up, for i have run into no such troubles with his shaders.

http://www.nuclearglory.com/?u=fearik = sweet as hell collision system. easy on that leather thing in your back pocket too.
the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 02:49 Edited at: 21st Sep 2005 02:54
@that dude:
I don't know if you are talking to me or IanT? But if you're talking with me, then thanks for your attention...

Quote: "it sounds to me that your normal map or whatever map your using isnt propperly set up, for i have run into no such troubles with his shaders."

Well, I don't have any problems about setting up and running EVOLVED's Normal Mapping Shader! And I don't think it's because of my setup, you can check it for your self.
Try to make an object and set the shader effect on it. and please setup those visible lights (with spheres and lights' positions) then try to rotate the object (a loop for rotating the object is very better)
As you might notice the lighting is incorrect, I mean the position of the lights are incorrect. because he didn't make the shader to work with rotating objects (world space, I think!)
This problem was in his 'offset mapping' either, but kindly, he managed to fix that problem and it works like a charm!

I hope he fixes this problem either, because I like it alot, and I know alot of use for it...

btw, you were talking to IanT, right...

Good Luck!
that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 20:22
@try
sorry for the confusion, but yes i was talking to ian... e he he.

http://www.nuclearglory.com/?u=fearik = sweet as hell collision system. easy on that leather thing in your back pocket too.
the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 22:50
@Try, referring to that problem, I had to find out how to feed an object's position, rotation and scale to a shader.
It has to be in certain order and very tricky thing.
Well, the code below worked for me. I hope that you, Evolved or anyone find it useful:

It comes with no shader, just the DBPro code for manipulating and creating the world, projection and view matrix according to an object position, rotation and scale.

Also note that camera is considered to be always at 0,0,0 (that's what I use all the time)
will_ang
Years of Service
User Offline
Does the AdvancedTerrain's terrain supports shader? I tried using multi-texture blending on it but it doesn't work. However, I used the same shader on a .x model and it works fine...

Any input on this?

Thanks in advace
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
erm.. guys? does some1 knows if there is a way to made a glow effect on a single object? i have tryed HDR effect, wich is "glow effect", but it makes a glow on all over the map, i want it will b on a single object.. there is a way? PLZ TELL ME THAT THERE IS SOME WAY XD

here is my glow all result:

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
EVOLVED0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2005 04:03 Edited at: 7th Oct 2005 04:08
GogetaX what you have to do to get it working on individual objects is to use a second sync.

something like this:

Or use a tone pass shader to filter out the brightness levels. like this http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=670805 ps 1.1 btw

Iv stoped working on those shader Snippets about a week after my last post. There were to many problems with it , Things like unable to get the correct results after downsampling useing multiple cameras to images for the average global luminance for HDR lighting . then bumpycube maps would mess up when you start rotating the object. water reflection were running below 30 fps so no point in that. So iv gone back to DBclassic to finish of the editor Id stoped working on over a year ago. just while I wait for better shader support.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
is this will increaase my FPS? (i hope it will) XD

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2005 12:59
it'll probably drop it a few more, cause it passes once for the blur (fillrate killer) then you'll be toning it.

really what you want to do is tone down the blur to something like 1.5 if it uses something to control it.

Quote: "just while I wait for better shader support."

There are going to be a few minor fixes in 5.9 conerning shaders, but they will be tackled properly over the next month.

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 03:14
If you want to see relief maps go to this address:

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/%7Eoliveira/RTM.html

Go down to where it says:

Download a Relief Mapping Demo (It has a folder called shaders - but I've not looked at them yet.)

And you'll find all 4 bump map techiques (shown in a surprisingly similar way to Ravens info. !!!

But my ATI 9800 Pro only manages paralax and normal mapping...
New computer? Hell no... There won't be any games running relief mapping inside em for at least another 2 years.

Theres some good technical papers at this website too for people to get their heads around it...

PROJECTS:
All unfinished - to be released as retro titles in 5 years time.
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
hello!
A little question: if I model (for example a car) in my Zbrush or 3dsmax and I put a normal map in my model (that I can see properly rendering with Zbrush or 3dsmax), can I export it and load (and correctly visualize) in dbro without apply a .fx on the model?
fx are good if you use a sphere or a box, but with complex models I'd like to use the exported normal map (that is an image file with all the pieces, like a texture..)
anybody know something about?
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 11:26
@Lucka, I don't think that you can count on that.
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
@Morcilla, Thank you man, I didn't see your post until now, thanks again. I'm sure I can use it sometime.

Good Luck!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 12:45
@Try, you are welcome. I spent more than a week developing that (not to say two weeks).

It was a surprise for me that shader named constants were not providing the info that I was expecting to the shader, specially with camera at 0,0,0.

So for no automatic feeding, the shader variables definition would appear as:

On the other side, for automatic feeding (the usual):
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 18:27
Sorry, I don't want to read all five pages, so if this has already been answered, then I'm sorry. But:

Quote: "The .fx export for the current version of RenderMonkey is broken. Don't bother trying to export shaders from RenderMonkey because it would be quicker to create the .fx file by hand and paste your source into it than to have to modify the .fx file produced."

And how would you do that? I've downloaded RenderMonkey, tried it, but I have no idea how to find the source code...

I can't be fired... Slaves are SOLD!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 12:13
At the effect workspace tree (View -> Workspace ), expand it until you find "Vertex Shader" or "Pixel Shader" and double click on it to see the source.

To export a whole .fx file : File -> Export -> FX Exporter.

It works fine (v1.5 here). I do not agree with that quote, it saves a lot of time, but the exported file cannot be used directly with DBPro.
With a little (or a lot )of practice, you can make the needed changes if you take the posted shaders as a guide for correcting them, but do not expect to see all of them working easily.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 16:47
Hmm. I still don't get how it should be done... When I try to load a .fx file into DarkBASIC Pro(.fx files exported from RenderMonkey), it just says that the given effect doesn't exist.

I can't be fired... Slaves are SOLD!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 17:38
That is because the .fx file has not been able to compile.
It means that i does not has a proper format for DBPro (like the ones directly exported from Rendermonkey) or has syntax errors, for example. Keep on trying.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 21:30
Still wondering how to get a lightmap and a shader to work on the same object without one erasing the other, anyone have a clue how to make this work?
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 15:31 Edited at: 24th Nov 2005 15:33
does anybody know what shader versions the GeForce mx4000 supports? because it's $30 at best buy tomorrow... and i might get it..

either that or the radeon x700 pro for $99

(i'm assuming it's better then a geforce 4 mx420 )

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 01:19
dont buy any of the mx series, they are a waste of money
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 03:53
yeah, i looked around and that's pretty much what everyone seems to say... too bad i didn't know that 3 years ago

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
whoa, you found a radeon x700 pro for $99!!! I see them for like...$199! It's worth your money trust me i have a mx4000. It's alright but I want more speed and power. I'm going to buy the x700 pro for like christmas or something.After that, if im satisfied, I wont buy another graphics card until it is like completely outdated like a tnt for example

x700 pro is worth the money,
flip998

"Wow, it's like a panda crapped a rainbow in my brain."
-Captain(Sealab 2021)
Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz processor,512MB Ram,GeForce4 MX 4000
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:36 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 17:36
yeah it was a "Day after thanksgiving sale"... but i didn't happen to have the money at that point so i didn't get it

Jahya
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I cant seem to get any answers about DBP, but some of my questions are shader related, and since this thread deals with them, perhaps you can help.

Are the shaders usable on skinned/boned characters, and do the shaders react to light sources or do they pull light data from light 0 ambience.

Also I heard the shadows were wonky with higher polygonal models. Are there any figures on the polycount, or maybe limits to current hardware shadows? And can the shadows and shaders be used in conjuntion? How about self shadowing?

Original Post:

1. I've read that DBP has real-time shadow capabilities, but some forum posts claim it breaks on higher polygon models. Can you further detail the shadow/lighting capabilities of DBP? Such as Per-Pixel, Self Shadowing, Polygon Limitations, Cast/Receive limits, Light source limits etc.

2. Per polygonal collision would mean that I don't have to use BSP levels correct? As in a fighting game where I would prefer detailed level objects in a very small area as opposed to blocky corridors. And would this use of non-bsp levels create issues with physics plugins etc.

3. Pixel shader support is there, but again, what are the limits? Normal mapping has been done, but is there a limit on combining shaders with shadowing? Also when using shaders, do they react to all light sources or just the global ambience etc.

I have downloaded the demos, but since I'm just learning the programming portion, I figure this would be a quicker way to get answers as I'm sure these are simple questions asked many times.
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 01:55 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 02:10
Im trying to simulate real time cloud formation, and wrote a program that does it all in software (very slowly of course). What im looking to do is take the software that ive written and get it to run as a pixel shader.

The goal is to create realtime clouds following the theory in this paper...

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_clouds.htm

Basicially I would need a shader that takes 8 pre generated noise images (2 cloud frames composed of 4 noise octaves each), interpolate each octave together based on a time step to create a final image, then curve that image based on 'cloudcover' and 'cloudsharpness' (which control how much cloud cover there is and how 'fuzzy' the clouds are).

Check out my source and I think you will see the potential (just ignore how slow it is). Imagine having a clear sky morph into a sea of dark thunderclouds to setup your weather effects! Were not talking about fading two cloud images together, were talking REAL looking cloud formation! I hope somebody is feeling up to the challenge!

Let me know! Thanks in advance!

All you need is zeal
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 13:25
@Jahya, the limitations are the same that those that DirectX may have.

- I guess there should be no problem on animated models.
- Shaders only react to the lights used (calculated) within it. None external.
- high poly models should not be a problem, although they will be more likely to overflow low-end video cards capabilities.
- Don't count on DBPro inbuilt shadow to work simultaneously with a shader.
- Also don't count on applying directly more than a shader to an object.
- Self-shadowing? Yes, I think that works with DBPro shadows.

@Zealous, very well! You have a good start. Perlin noise is often used in shaders.
I'm sure you will like to take a look to the "Simple Blur" shader that I posted on the first page of this thread. It takes a texture and calculates a new pixel color value, based on the surrounding pixels. You could use it to develop your "Cloud Shader". I think that you're going to get a fps boost using shaders
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 18:16 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 18:17
Well poopy I can't do shaders
Are you sure an MX4200 can't do any shaders?

I can do cube, sphere, and shadow mapping.
I haven't tryed any other things though

|| Bush Babies are funny little hermits, disguised as rats. ||
Zealous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 22:50 Edited at: 11th Dec 2005 00:50
@ Morcilla thanks bud! Didnt have too much time to look at it but think its just what I need.

On a side note, with all this talent here, has anyone been able to make a nice rain/snow shader? Something like the rain in Splinter Cell ect... a lot of new games seem to be using pixel shaders for some amazing weather effects. It seems like particle effects are on the way out, couldnt you do everything (in regards to weather) in a shader?

All you need is zeal

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:57:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:57:27