Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / The Artist's Challenge..

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 02:51
Dabip, in XFighter if the first number in the list at the top left is FPS then I'm getting 99-101.

Cheers!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 04:58 Edited at: 20th Jan 2006 05:30
wow, I don't think that's the version with the wet Fps . lol. Well, I"m still working on a way to make the enemies go down, but with no luck, when I fix that, I'll upload a new version for you to test.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 05:24
I get most of the time 110, on my old pc 45.

I would use a sync rate command.

Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2006 03:05
David Gervais i have seen your 2d art skills and they are awesome i looked at your profile to check if there were any other way to contact you than here in the forum, but it was clean is it possible you got msn messenger or somethinglike that? email or add me on msn using this adress sloopernine@hotmail.com

The thing is that i need help with some artwork for a Gradius alike game.

Cheers

You never fail, only make mistakes.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2006 03:21
Slooper, if you go to my website at http://madman1337.ftpaccess.cc/degart/ The 'Contact' address is also my messenger address. I tend to pop in check mail and pop out very quickly. The chances of you catching me for any duration in messenger are slim. This is your best bet for contact regarding requests.

Just so you know I'm not going to 'engage' in any large amount of artwork for games while I'm still working on a paying contract. I come here as a light diversion since I'm in a slow part of the dev cycle right now. I'm also taking care of my mom who has Leukimia and Empheuzima and she is my top priority. Even my 'paying' job takes a back seat to her well being.

If you keep your requests simple and post here there is a good chance I'll take care of your needs.

Anyways, That's my situation in a nutshell, Cheers!
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2006 06:48
how do you guys like my model?

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 23:20
must... not... let... die...

* bump *

"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration"
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 00:17
Hi David,
Please find attached a small WIP to show how the things you made me look in game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 15:26
Westray, very nice, I like the sparkle effect. I can't wait to see the the game when finished. I might redo the background, so don't be surprised if I post a new one.

Cheers!

P.S. I have been away the past few days, mom was in hospital for another transfusion over the weekend.
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 19:01
That would be great David as I am not overly keen on the present background.
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 21:15
well then you apparantly missed the forum offline.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 23:07
Here is an alternate background..

Cheers!
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 23:37
Here it is David with the new background.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 02:43
I think it looks better, do you think it looks better?

Cheers!
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 19:48
gone to the bottom of the page huh? here is an extra post since I have been gone a while, lol jk.

I think that background is great. keep up the good work

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 23:51
Well, besides the big bug in my game, xfighter hasn't gone anywhere, and I'm still trying to get it done so I can try to make a chess games. !!

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 04:20
nice work David!

We have fallen Into an abyss! Dear God captian! There all Bars.
NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 05:31 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 06:18
This is one awesome thread. Good job David and very, very nice artwork there. I am an artist first, now poking DBPRo with a stick.

I wanted to try and post a gif of a quick animated model I made. If I do this right, you should be able to download it and you have free reign to use it any way you want. Its not textured, I just used colored materials because I needed a quick model to test out my coding projects.

To edit, its a .x animated file to use, the bad thing is I made the thing about 32' which is posing problems for me now, but It still got me as far as I am, lol.

@TinkerGirl: You say 1 meter = 1 dbu? Is that the most accurate conversion you've found? I have been messing around with this for 2 days now and found posts saying 1 dbu = whatever you want, 1 dbu = 100cm, but cant seem to figure this out. So if I make a level 100mx100m in 3ds and port it to DBP, itll show 100x100 in object size? Thanks for any help there.

Thanks for the awesome thread David!

Attachments

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 09:47
You need to change the weight for some of your joints/verts. There's some bizarre deformations going on in that model. Primarily in the sholders, and just below the belt.

NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 10:01
hehehehe, like I said, its a tester model, just to see how things "May" look inside a program. The intent of this model was def not for a finished product.

Thanks for the input though...
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 12:12
While I've not done extensive tests, it seems very much to me that 1m (in Max units) is 1dbu. I could test this properly if it was required for peace of mind.

I also find that problems with lighting often smooth themselves out at this scale - otherwise you may get 'interesting' lighting artifacts at very small or very large scale.*

Your mileage may vary.
NewDarken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 17:54
Well, I'll just keep all my dims to meters, just to keep things simple and when I do a "Object Size" command the program will show accurate data.

Thanks for that!
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 12:51 Edited at: 29th Jan 2006 13:12
Sorry for my reduced amount of posting, the thing called Real Life can get in the way sometimes..

Here is a simple set of buttons (Normal/Highlighted/Pressed) and a texture background that can be underlayed. The bkg bitmap can be tiled vertically or horizonatly to form a side or bottom panel. Depending on the orientation I'd reccomend adding highlights to the upper/left edges.

Have a great day, Cheers!

Edit: As an afterthought I also made an 'inset' panel same size as the button in case you want a text field that is not 'pressable' (ie like for showing scores etc)

Cheers! v2.0
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 12:57 Edited at: 29th Jan 2006 13:11
@David Gervais: I hadn't been keeping up with this thread recently, so I checked back to see what I've missed.

While checking the previous page, I saw your sprites for millipede/centipede... and coincidentally, at this moment I'm actually making a millipede clone (in C++)

The sprites you've made are amazing, and although I haven't yet put them into the game, I'm definately going to do so some time today, so hopefully I can upload a pic of what my game looks like with your amazing artwork.

Thanks again

EDIT: After taking a look at the way my game works, it looks like it would require a total overhaul to get your sprites to work This is because of the way each segment is drawn (with a specific width to height ratio, that couldn't be adhered to even after editing the images) and that my game is yet to support animation. So sadly your artwork didn't make it in Still, its amazing work from you.

Prehaps the sequel can support animations and larger/different ratio sprites?.....

Thanks anyway

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 13:21
David R, you lost me,.. the Millipede sprites are all 25x25 and the 'DDT' and Spider comprise of 2 sprites side by side (50x25) They were designed this way because I know for a fact that the original sprites were done this way.

If by this quote..

"This is because of the way each segment is drawn (with a specific width to height ratio, that couldn't be adhered to even after editing the images)"

You mean to say your current code is for a different size sprite, well, code can be changed. I made these sprites with a rez of 800x600 in mind. (although they can still fit a higher rez.)

Nuf said, Cheers!
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 13:57
Quote: "You mean to say your current code is for a different size sprite, well, code can be changed. I made these sprites with a rez of 800x600 in mind. (although they can still fit a higher rez.)"

Well you see, my game is practically complete, apart from a few CPU interupt problems, and occasional crash here and there. But the collision code, and entirety of the rest of the game depends on the millipede segments being a certian size, and height to width ratio.

I extracted one of the millipede segment images from the sprite sheet, to see if the image could be sized to fit within these bounds. Unfortunately, PSP applies very nasty bibubic anti-aliasing around the edges of images when it resizes, causing the transparency to mess up and look all horrible in my game (since it doesn't yet support alpha mapping or anti-aliased edges on transparent backgrounds)

As I said before, this all C++, and is a real headache to change this late into the project. I'm still really a beginner with stuff, so I reckon it could be changed so it could work, but I'm just not confident enough to go down that road yet (with the possiblity of completely screwing up my game)

So that's why I can't yet use your images. But I shall definately try again soon with a more refined engine and better layed out code.

Cheers, and sorry to not be using your beautiful images

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 01:28
Well, I really haven't been posting here, but I thought I'd remark that I've figured out my problem that I was having with X-Fighters, and am now about 3/4 of the way to being finished!! Here is a checklist of what I plan on doing so far:

Touching up the last 3 levels
Adding the big bomb (you'll lose points to use it)
Add a help menu
Finish the mother ships (such as shooting, and moving)
Make the few little aliens on level 11 to 13 work

Err, there was more but I can't think of them.

Well , I've got some coding to do. See ya! (till later lol)

westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 23:18
Hi David,
Just a small update using the images you provided me with.Match two or more colours and left click with the mouse to make them disappear.

Attachments

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 00:26 Edited at: 31st Jan 2006 02:09
OMG, this thread is awesome! *Bookmark*
Good Job, David Gervais!!!

BTW, I'm using your planet backgrounds.
I will add you in the credits...of cource...

YOU RULE!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 03:27
Westray, that's very similar to 'Collapse' one of my fav games great job.

Cheers!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 05:44
wow, you actually bought game maker?? I think you're the only person I know that has. But I see why. Alot better at it than I was. lol. looks good.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 20:24
game maker is free, except for a little optional donation I think.

Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 21:31
I bought it a while ago. Unlocks a good deal of functionality, it has 3D now too.
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 01:48
Yah. I found game maker too limiting. Though it could of been of because it was free.

westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 02:59
Hi David,
Just another small update.I was wondering if you could make me some buttons for the background.Say a save,load and exit.Two images for each would be great(mouse over and mouse not over).Any other suggestions regarding graphics etc.would be gratefully received.Thanks again.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 13:04
Westray, How about I make fields for all thr required info on the side panel to go with the buttons. Like..

Game Name/Logo (overlay)

Score (inset)

Save (button)

Load (button)

High Scores (inset with room for say the 5 top scores)

Exit (button)

Let me know what you think, and you got a better name than 'Match'? Want some suggestions?

Cheers!
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 14:03
Hi David,
Your ideas for the buttons and panels sounds great.Regarding the name ,I'm hopeless at that kind of thing so any ideas would be more than welcome.Also what about a splash screen for the beginning of the game.Any ideas.Thanks again for your great help.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 16:00
jeeeez David Gervais, you are real good

The byte chrunchers are coming...
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 19:44 Edited at: 1st Feb 2006 19:47
Thanks for the nice comments,.. Cybermind your avatar pic is bringing back fond memories,.. did you know I love making avatars?..

Cheers!

P.S. Westray, I'll get to your UI tweaks tomorrow morning.

Attachments

westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 00:52
Hi David,
Another bit done.Added better sound effects(I think)and some particle effects for the gems disappearing.Regarding your last post to me I think a NEW button would also be helpful so that you could reset the board.Thanks again

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 13:45 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 13:54
LoL, I log in to post the new graphics and there is an 'New' button request. I knew I should have came here first,.. not a problem.. In the mean time, at least the name/logo didn't change so here it is...

I hope you like the Choice of Name and Logo.

Cheers!

Edit: LoL I just tested your updated version,.. maybe I should have named it Gem-Busters. Nice effects, great job... btw did I mention I also updated the UI Panel look? Wait for it, I think you'll like it.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 14:52
Here is the new Background,..

And, buttons...

I can't wait to see the final product.

Cheers!
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 14:53 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2006 14:58
Oh, and here is how I set up the buttons,..

Cheers!

Edit: Oh, and for the intro screen, I'd suggest you use the logo and perhaps a few gems and do some sort of animation like having gems falling behind the logo and possibly spinning the logo in and scaling it from 1% to 100% or some such 'coded' intro. Use your vivid imagination and surprise me.
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 15:16
Super Duper Minimalist art media Challenge Deadline passed.

I'm surprised and dissapointed that nobody took up my earlier challenge and therefore I must declare that there is No Winner. In fact there was no entries submitted. <shakes head in mild disgust> T'is a sad sad day when such a simple challenge goes unsung. Even worse when a Prize of "Custom Artwork" is not enough to generate interest.

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel good, thanks. <dripping sarcasm>

Oh well, too bad so sad as they say.

Cheers!

Could a MOD here please rename this thread to "Artist's Depository"? It is obviously not a 'Challenge' thread of any kind.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 16:21
So sorry David - I had thought to make an entry to your challenge using the ball sprite, but I didn't have time

You may have noticed there are several coding competitions doing the rounds at the moment, and they all seem to be having trouble drumming up entries - the Caiman challenge (with a grand up for grabs) the comedy games competition (with a stuffed monkey toy as a prize) and now even the DB Newsletter is offering £300 for games that help you learn to type. There's a challenge to win software on the Open MMORPG board just for creating a web page template design, and not a single person has entered.

So I understand that you're very dissapointed, but for what it's worth - you're not alone.

It may just be a bad season for competitons? Chin up though.
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 16:41
I tried, but what I had was rubbish. Kinda like pong except waaay worse

I have been re assigned. New name, new mission. Star Fleet - 5%
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2006 19:01
Not to worry Tinkergirl, I'm most always in good spirits, just felt like doing a bit of minor brooding,.. I heard that brooding from time to time is good for the soul

..I feel much better now, thanks. (hmmm, now the question is do I feel better because I'm not alone? or because I'm just no good at maintaining a broody mood? lol)

Cheers!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 01:28
Well, I'd of done it if I wasn't working on Xfighter. Though, I also wouldn't of even thought of starting xfighter if you wouldn't of made the images (started the thread). So basicly, you helped me out greatly.

westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 03:30
Hi David
All I can say is WOW!I will post an update as soon as I can.Thanks again.
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 23:09 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2006 23:17
gamemaker is hard because you have to look at tutorials and stuff to learn it.

I will make a quick entry for the challenge. how's that

anyways

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:30:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:30:45