Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC Game Making Magazine - Opinion Poll

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 22:11
1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?
Depends on the quality and type of content.

2) What price would you expect to pay for it?
Also depends on if media was required therefore requiring a cd or if it is only 64 pages of text explanations or examples.

3) How often would you like to see it published?
Depends again, obviously i would like to see it every month if the content was helpful and informative, however if the result of a monthly release of a magazine would hinder other development processes to dbp,fpsc, and any add on's releases then less would be more ideal, maybe every 3 months.

4) and finally, What articles would interest you?

Quote: "The core content would be exclusive articles written by the TGC team and affiliates, covering our core products (DBPro, FPSC, 3DWS, DarkPhysics, etc). "

Sounds good to me.

Several fairly easy or smaller tutorials that are well documented the key being well documented so the read isn't left guessing what the hell a line or a variable is controlling without dissecting the code his/her self and not assuming they already know how to do so.

Along with one or two larger tutorial that deals with the more complex areas like memblocks, 3d vectors, physics, shaders and such.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 22:19 Edited at: 30th Mar 2006 22:30
Maybe my answers is a bit different than the others here...

Quote: "1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?"

No. I have never bought magazines before really... And I'm perfectly fine with the tutorials in the free newsletter + the tutorials and hints you can collect on this forum. And I guess all importent articles will get on this site to read for free anyway. It's just like the xbox 360 magazine. My friends subscribe to it, but I can't see the reason really. All that stands in it can be found on the internet. Maybe it's more detailed described, or maybe you get to know how it had been to test a game that's first being released in two months or so. Or maybe you get a demo cd of games that isn't out yet. But I can wait... Really

As TGC says, it would maybe cover there core products. But doesn't the current free newsletter already do this? It contains articles of what have happened to products + new releases eventually.

But as they also state, it will going to be most tutorials based. That's a great idea I think. But I've always found those through the forum, and I think that way fits perfectly for me. I also got the Beginners guide for DarkBasic book a long time ago. But I got to learn alot of the basic stuff from it.

Because of my answer, I don't really fells like it's neccesary to answer the other ones.

I think it's a great idea for people interested in reading such things. It's just not for me.

This is just my thoughts...

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 22:36 Edited at: 30th Mar 2006 22:36
I tend to agree with Aoneweb's concern... buying the magazine or not will depend heavily on Postage and Packaging costs.

As an example, I would love to subscribe EDGE magazine, as I did when I lived in the UK. The problem is, last I saw, subscribing the magazine and getting it sent to Portugal where I am now (which isn't very far from the UK!) more than doubled the price (I think it nearly trebled).

So, saying I would pay €4 a pop is not really a commitment, if P&P then turns out to be 8 quid on top...

I have vague plans for World Domination
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 22:53
Quote: "1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?

2) What price would you expect to pay for it? (please state currency as well!)

4) and finally, What articles would interest you?"

1)Yep
2)3 or 4 quid-maybe more wit cd attached (as per VanB's comment).
3)Monthly
4)Tutorials, hints and tips, effects, coder spotlights, resources (if on a cd), maybe a user project that builds up over so many issues (in a tutorial vain, similar to the old "input" magazine...(remember that ??))

Steve

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 23:05
Go totally retro, in terms of the magazine, not games. Have a game you can spend 6 hours typing in from a listing. No comments, no explanations, just 3,000 lines of code over 5 pages. In Courier 10 point. In White boxes with an unrelated article wrapped around it.

Ah, those were the days!

Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 23:10 Edited at: 30th Mar 2006 23:12
I woul be willing to pay $6.00-$8.00 US without CD or DVD and another $6.00 with a CD or DVD.

Bimonthly would be good for me.

What articles would interest you?> Usefull code,Game making tutorials and games.

The printed word today does cost a lot

I still have my Atari mags from the 80's ,
Travis P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 23:13
Yes

$15, with a cd.

Every other month

Tutorials,Interviews,Reviews,Tips and Tricks,One "In-depth" about a certain aspect of a game(AI,physics,etc.)

Lace it with some caffiene and you will be rolling around in the <insert currency here>.

(TravisP's New Account,password lost,email gone)
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 23:30
Sorry to say I would not be interested in buying.

For similar reasons as to the other 'no' brigade. I am only interested in DBPro, so having loads of pages about your other products would be annoying. I also think there is more than enough info for most users in the monthly newsletter and this forum.

Most users on this forum also want everything for free, they don't want to even pay a few pounds a month for a decent web host, so what are the chances of prying cash out of them.

Sending fairly large printed mags abroad is a very expensive business and would deter most foreigners anyway. Postage will cost more than the mag!

I think a free PDF style magazine every couple of months would be far more beneficial.

Boo!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:05
Quote: "I think a free PDF style magazine every couple of months would be far more beneficial"

Maybe a printed mag with a PDF option...but the subscription is the same whichever option you take. Before you call that harsh, the aim here is to get a printed mag out, so PDF is merely a backup option for those that can't get the hard copy for whatever reason.

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:24
Quote: "I would prefer putting my money into new features that add functionality into DarkBasic, (such as the new DarkPhysics for example), rather than putting my small amount of available cash into a magazine. "

Im going to have to agree with most of what segan said. I love TGC just as much as the next fanboi but I really think the money (both ours and TGC's) could be better spent.

Besides, as people have already mentioned, news just doesnt move fast enough to have a magazine dedicated to a single company (especially a relatively small one like TGC). Combine that with the fact that we already have a kick ass MONTHLY news letter (free), I really have to advise against this whole idea.

All you need is zeal
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:30 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 00:34
I wouldn't want a printed magazine either. Magazines are better for disposable entertainment. They get beat up too quickly if you read them when out and about. Searching through several issues trying to find the info you want is a pain and then there is the problem of storing the old issues.

Plus if I was going to pay it would have to include competitors products and be objective. Aticles writen about products the writer is also selling have no integrity. Is 3D World Studio really the best way to produce levels for dbpro or was it just used in the article because tgc sell it?

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:38
I'd ditch the expense of trying to license and mass-produce cover discs. The only thing you'd end up sticking on there would either be patches, textures, or other shareware; nothing we couldn't download elsewhere.

64 A4 pages eh? Bit thin on the ground, but like I say, without a cover disc you could probably just about get away with a fiver. I appreciate you guys will be wanting to make a profit out of this, don't get me wrong ...

[center]
iv tryed everything!!!!!!!!!! could u please just add The gun and shooting Code thats All!!!!!!!!!
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 00:53
1)Would you actually buy such a magazine?
For sure

2)What price would you expect to pay for it? (please state currency as well!)
maybe between 10-20$ CND

3)How often would you like to see it published?
The more often, lets say, 2-3 weeks

4)and finally, What articles would interest you?
Tutorials
Some WIP that is very popular
Some Code that someone submitt so show something, like in the newsletter
News about products of TGC
News about game been made in DB
Interviews
Hint about FX, AI, Physics, and other thing like that

That's all!

Windows XP,pentium IV, 3.0 MGZ, 1024 mb memory, 256 mb ATI Radeon PCIE X700 Pro 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 01:00
I would buy it if it had a good section on the art side of games.

Also, the people saying "I would pay $4" or some sum like that? Not gonna happen. I would expect (and be willing to pay) around $10.

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 01:14
Here In Greece there are many computer magazines.
But less of them has good material.

I am not use to buy magazines frequently. But yes
(I buy magazines sometimes if the issue contains good material).
And if is interesting to me.

I am very happy to hear about magazine for DarkBASIC , I love this language very much. (And whole thing , community , TGC company services and all third party who work in this miracle).

Here in Greece there are many magazines in computer material but none with DARKBASIC PRO.

Here one normal magazine with cd costs for about 6 Euros.
I like the idea about sending the magazine with e-mail.

But The Game Creators Company , will pay too much for shiping all magazines to me in Greece to other people in Australia to other people in ASIA , America , Europe , to North Pole and all the people on the Earth.
So this could be very expensive? For the Company.
So country to country costs are different. In America 15 $ could be
good , here could be expensive.
Post costs are different each country. And the magazine will be shipped in the first of month and I will receive it after 15 days here at least. And If it will posted to go to the North Pole it will
take 20 days.

Monthly could be great. But offen issues have costs to customers and the company.

I suggest if will be monthly , must have rich matterial.
For all kind of lectors. So be usefull for a noobie and advanced programmer and to lector who don't have an idea about programming.

As a RPG Freak , I suggest RPG CORNER (MUST)
As a programmer , I suggest a lots of usefull tutorials for noobies
(as me) (Math routines , game engines , lessons for all packages here (TreeMagic, Ex-Gen, T.eD, GameSpace, Texture Maker , Nuclear Glory and Dark Physics etc.)
As a Gamer , I suggest the artcle (3D Model of the month). This will be (FPSCreator model , or some monster , or some 3d building , or 3D world studio model etc)
As a Customer , I suggest a coupon system , in every issue , there will be some coupon in the page, and if you collect 5 coupons you will have a discount price for some of The Game Creators and other third party good products.

As a Company Manager , This The Game Creators will take serious and
provide this great Idea to other third party companies (LeadWerks , Nuclear Glory , Caligari , EZ and etc) and all of them will help
for effectuation of magazine (Because in the future there will appear many problems).

Thank you very much to read my opinion.
Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 01:29 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 01:33
Absolutely

$29.99 per year with CD
or
$15.00 per year with no CD
or
IF people bought on a monthly basis, $10 with CD or $4 or $5 without. Something like that.

Monthly, like middle of each month

AI Tutorials, shader effects, demos, core tutorials, letters to the editors, primarily tutorials though.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 01:42
Quote: "Go totally retro, in terms of the magazine, not games. Have a game you can spend 6 hours typing in from a listing. No comments, no explanations, just 3,000 lines of code over 5 pages. In Courier 10 point. In White boxes with an unrelated article wrapped around it."

Ah, those were the days. Something similar could be done with code challenge winning programs.

I think the CD idea is best left out. After all, we should be able to download everything from the site.

Now, every now and then, when a new product or game comes out, a CD would be cool. However, to expect a CD every issue is a bit ridiculous.

theDK
Years of Service
User Offline
1. I would buy a pdf version and wouldn't buy the printed version even if they were the same price.

2. around 9$ is ok but that heavily depends on the quality of contents. I would pay 20$ for one decent article rather than paying say 10$ for a full mag that won't be of much use.

3. How much info you have to offer to your readers? if your up to it and can provide good content bi-monthly then that would be great.

4. Tutorials, a simple game source code as a free gift per issue, some C++ articles for DarkGameSDK owners (articles that provide usefull C++ ideas like optimisations for example), and please make it a technical magazine that lacks ads.
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 02:42
I would not buy a printed magazine of any kind. However, I have subscribed to magazines in mailed disk format and I would subscribe to one like you are describing in such a format or on subscription download. PDF is not the way, since you would want your readers to be able to copy certain coding examples for experimenting without tedious retyping. You surely realize from reading the forum traffic that many of your potential subscribers have limited room for discretionary spending, and so loading the subscription costs with the component needed to cover hard copy printing and mailing costs based on weight serves neither TGC nor its customer base. That is unless you expect to have more advertising dollars in hard copy than in disk. I think the advertising revenues, if you are anticipating such revenues, would more likely increase with circulation rather than format, and you can certainly get the ads on digital copies.
10US$ per issue.
Monthly.
a)Organized collections of good CODE examples, e.g. one month a one-stop shop for various techniques for maximizing execution speed.
b)Articles that provide good suggestions for game DESIGN. Sort of like some that Tinkergirl has written for the forums.
c)Articles that guide DEVELOPMENT PROCESS, e.g. process techiniques that integrate several of your products to efficiently complete a game on the DBPro platform.
d)The HUMAN side of it. A development success story of a particular individual meeting the challenges and getting his/her game to distribution, or overcoming some barrier, or finding an inspiration in an unconventional manner.
e) ADS. You read it right. I wouldn't be offended if each month a commercial enterprise, say a manufacturer of graphics cards, put a whole catalog in and paid you for the opportunity to do so. I hate being bombarded by irrelevant ads, but I would fully expect to find, and would in fact appreciate finding, relevant ads in a niche publication such as what you are describing.
Classic Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 02:45
I would definitily buy it. I have always wanted there to be a game programing magazine. I've looked long and hard for one. When it comes to computers the only magazines you can find are on building computers or gaming or 3D art but not programing. My 2 favourite magazines now are OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) and Scientific American. I cant wait for TGC Game Making Magazine!!!

There are two types of people in this world: people who are extremly cool and are good at everything and people who are me.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 02:59
Yes, of course!

$7.99 or $9.99(with CD)

Bi-monthly

Tutorials(Game building, Tips to speed up DBP)
Technology articles(Shaders, future techniques, benchmarks for DBP programs)
Program Annoucements(Finished Games/Apps/Other)
Works in Progress(Games/Apps/Other about 90% complete)
Future TGC plans and updates(Perhaps to open each magazine?)
Game Design Theory(Talk about design documents, developing ideas, setting up a project, concept art, etc.)

If a CD is included
Freeware games(Listed in Program Annoucement section)
A free model(s) or texture(s)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
vampyre
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I would buy it,thing is althoughI have DBPI hopeyouwon'tleave out DBC and how much will itcost I think it should cost about £3.99 as well as you want ittosell and selling it at £5.99 will possibly leave you high and dry as it would be a bit exspensive for a niche product, still depending what is put in it,yes like to have a CD even if it cost £4.99 and was monthly.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 03:28 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 03:33

While I tend to prefer print mags to the disc mags. It's highly unlikely a tutorial magazine would have enough scope to interest me on a regular basis. Regardless of the base products.

I'd be more inclined to buy a CD though. While a printed mag would be nice, it just seems superfluous. To me, the information could be equally well presented to the user in CD format, with searchable front end / Demos / animations and of course and outlet for users own games and utils.

Given the focus is on Tutorials here, users are going to want to import code / media etc as quickly so they can Articles could be provided both in browser format and more print friendly fashion. Let the user decided if the information is valuable enough to keep a hard copy.

Cheaper also.

Less than $15 (Aust)

Subscription based ?

Quarterly, to make each edition jammed packed with enough quality articles that would warrant it's purchase and very production.

To be honest, I see this being a lot like the DBDN concept. A nice enough idea, but impractical in the long run.

Different things interest me at different times. Therefore the scope of the articles needs range. However, given that to be viable, the Mag has to target the core TGC audience. It should spend more time addressing issues that new/intermediate programmers/artists/designers need

From a new programmers view point.

* A routine series of How to Code (covering universal concepts basic & common methods)

* Game Theory/engine/examples on different game genres. From pong, fps, rts, racing, beat em ups.. etc etc.. More about design than here's a slab of code that does... such and such...

* Modeling / texture / characters/worlds.. for artists and none artists alike

* Sound + Music

* The business of being an independent.. Since it's such a common thread around here, there's should be column that gives users the reality and tips and ideas about how to progress indy game business.

Hmmm, The problem is that the forums already serve much the same purpose. .

danielp
User Banned
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 04:20 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 06:31
I think its a good idea! I like the current online newsletter,
but a paid magazine with more content would be great.

Yes, I would buy any sort of magazine as long as it has the content
that I want in it, at a price I can afford (see below).

[2nd EDIT] $24.95 NZD if it had a CD, or $14.95 NZD without one.[/EDIT]

But that does depend on the quality and amount of content in the
magazine, and the CD would have to have all the source code, demos
and screenshots/videos etc as well.

Maybe the CD could even have a digital version of the mag on it to.

Once per month at least, but it would depend on the size and
price of the magazine.

Tutorials, full tutorials with pictures or videos and full source.

Showcase, a detailed description of a current or work in progress
game with plenty of screens/interviews/videos/descriptions.

Demos of games and software, updates are also good. Like a section
that details how to move from one version of software to the next.

In the editorial of the magazine give everyone a teaser about what
happening during the following month at TGCs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, I would pay $19.95 NZD for a monthly issue thats about 70-80
pages with a CD. Everything would need to be detailed, without any
un-needed page fillers.

Heres the kind of content I would like :

Cover = 1 page.

Magazine Contents = 1 page.

Editorial = 2-3 pages.
Tell us generally whats going on with the games industry, and
what to look foward to in this issue of the mag, and any other
random things.

Software Updates / New Products = 4-5 pages.
Tell us about the differences are in new versions of software are,
what bugs have been fixed and any other changes that have occured over the past month. This section can be used as a reference for people to look back on when they are changing/updating their software.

Games Showcase = around 5 pages each (have 2 games).
Interview the game developer and have details about how they planned
the game, what programs they used, what issues they had (and ways
to overcome them). Include plenty of images as well, and maybe even
a demo or tutorial about how to do what they did. And have two
completely different games, so don't have two puzzle ones in the same
issue. Have like one graphically good looking game, and another one
that shows good coding and innovation.

Tutorials = As many pages as they need/ as much tutorials as the
magazine will fit. Probably 3-4 pages each/5 tutorials.
You can never have two many tutorials! I especially like the
tutorials that actually let you make something with good results.
Like the level making tutorial for Cartography Shop 4 (those were
some nice looking maps). Even if they are really basic, step by step
tutorials - as long as they have great results they're perfect. And
the more detail the better!!

Random Development Corner = 6-7 pages.
Have genre specific articles here, like one issue have RPG
related articles pointing out the basics of the gameplay, how
to implement them etc. And then another issue could have FPS or RTS
or Puzzle information.

Other General Game Making Articles = 2-4 pages each/3-4 per issue.
Have general stuff here, like game planning/concept art tips and tricks etc here. Some other things that could be included here
are already mentioned earlier in this forum.

Whats on the CD Section = 2 pages.
Just a description of whats on the CD.

On the CD - Videos, Demos, Screens, Code Relating to what was in
the mage. Plus Ever issue have the latest upgrade versions etc
of TGC software, so people don't have to download it.
And include a digital issue (although you might want to put
some kind of copy protection on it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I probably got a bit carried away there, but I guess you got the
general idea. I only counted 55 pages total from my list, but
I probably didn't guess the amounts quite right .

[2nd EDIT] I would also pay for an online version of what was
listed above, but I'd only pay around $14.99 NZD (thats if it
had all the content on the CD for download). [/EDIT]

[EDIT] I'd also pay an extra $2 if it had some decent royalty
free models, textures etc that we could use. [/EDIT]

Hope that helps.

danielp

danielp
Email - thegamecreators@danielp.e4ward.com
My Specs - 2047MB RAM | P4 3.4GHz | XP 5.1.2600 SP2 | GeForce 6800 256MB | Dell 230310 1600x1200 34x27cm
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 04:59
I have already said my bit on the previous page but, I just wanted to say that if the magazine was printed, and they come once a month thats only twelwe mags a year, and for me if the magazine was $10.00 AUS thats only $120.00 a year! Now thats cheap! And also if TGC made the magazine with a CD for $10.00 AUS it would be great, as classic evil said, programming mags are near impossible to come by (at least were I live!) and considering that mags with CDs or even DVDs cost around $12.00, well thats good!

I hope you make them I have a bit of empty shelf space waiting!

When in Trouble with anything visit here your number one stop for help
MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 08:28 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 08:38
Most definately! (If it comes with a CD)

$3 - $5

Monthly!

DBPro tutorials, Lee Bamber interviews, coding teqniques, free stuff that's only availible to the subscribers, etc.

Well, that's my say.

-Martin

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 08:33
yes

$6.99 USD an issue max, or maybe $19.99 USD for a year subscription.

Every 2 months.

Articles about shaders, artifical intelligence, game engine designs, and whatever else as long as there is hands on dbpro information contained within the articles.

warship45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 08:55
Yes

i would pay up to UK£5 as of the normal price for that over here

every mounth

like a few game reviews from other dbpro games made, tut's and basicly anything else todo with game makeing modles and other things.

by the way great idea hope it does get made

dbpro plugins
web hosting
www.0z0.co.uk
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 10:21 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 10:26
Initially yes, of course, I would think I was missing out on something special if I didn't. The content would have to be 'something special' for me to continue buying it.

I currently subscribe to two computer magazines. I pay £6.99 for PCFormat each month. For that I get 160 pages and a fully laden DVD. I also get 3D World and pay £6.00. For that I get 124 pages and a CD. 3D World is (relatively speaking) more expensive but that is acceptable because it is more specialized.
Your magazine will be around 64 pages and presumably without DVD or CD but it will be even more specialized than 3D World. Half the size and without cover disc I would have to say that around £3.00 (sterling) would be a fair price.
If you include a cover disc then things would be different, but what you would put on it could be an issue. At the last convention Mike brought along a disc that had DBP Shaders on it. They were all available on the forum but the fact that they were all orginised on a disc made it a very welcome gift. Perhaps also include a showcase of users complete games, apps and DLL's. Something like that would be worth considering but I'm sure the ideas could soon dry up.

That really depends on the quality. It is a very difficult question to answer unless I have seen the product. If you can produce a great magazine each month then the answer would be monthly. If however, it takes six months to gather enough material to make the magazine worth buying then I would say that it needs to be twice yearly.

Tutorials ... it's the obvious answer. But slightly different to most people, I would say don't limit the tutorials to DBP. Have tutorials on other TGC products. Personally I can't model if my life depended on it. Some tutorials on modelling would be very welcome. There are many modelling programs available but since you sell 3D Canvas Pro and GameMaker then I suggest having tutorial on those
Texture Maker, is another product that would benefit from tutorials along with Character Shop.
Adding tutorials to other TGC supported products would also be a huge benefit to TGC. The more people that become aware of the products and learn how to use them from your tutorials, the more you are likely to sell.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 11:06 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 11:07
Didn't read the other posts, but here's my 2c

Depends on content and style, really - I'm not big for magazines, but having said that, getting content like that on GameDev.net in magazine form would be VERY nice!

Less than AUD$10 (Australian)

bi or tri-monthly, no more often unless you actually have the content.

Like I said - GameDev.net Article style would be awesome.
They cover a MASSIVE range of different topics, and all their tutorials are helpful.
Since you want to focus it on TGC products/scope, then I would say that it may be hard to find uses for things like Breshnan's Line Algorithm ( which I love, btw ), but I would still like to see that kind of article in there for the Advanced Users.

As a side note, the reason I haven't bought any of the currently published items is that I class myself as an Advanced user already, and as such would be bored by reading them. You may want to keep that in mind for others like me.

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
MikeD
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I would, but... Why not publish as PDF in place of the newsletter and sell advertising space to 3rd party tools developers, potential employers and so on to pay for the extra content. A prohibitive part of the cost of a magazine will be postage to various countries. Neither you, nor the reader benfit from the postage charge.

£4 an issue including postage (UK). I would prefer not to have a CD, but be able to download from your website. That way if errors are found they can be quickly corrected and made available. Errors and ommissions can be published in the forums.

Every month, but I would much prefer not to have articles or tutorials spread over more than one issue.

Tutorials, tips and hints, design methodology articles... I'm not particularly interested with interviews.

Finally though, how about using the resource in a different way? For example, update and extend the help
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 13:59 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 14:00
i think i will. and its actually good idea by making ngc magazine

around 2~5$ US for each magazine that would be nice and then i would be able to buy it every time when there will be a new one.

eveymonth would be nice

Work In Progress - 10% of the magazine
New Creation Programs(Example: FPSC, TreeMagik, etc.) - 30% of the magazine
Program Announcements - 10% of the magazine
New Patches and what they do - 20% of the magazine
Hot Stuff - 15% of the magazine
Tips/Code Snippets - 5%
and the other stuff is 15% of the magazine.

thats how i want that magazine will be sorted

MyNewSite:http://gogetax.com
Forums(About BLO and more):http://gogetax.com/forum
Sabour
Years of Service
User Offline
yes

15$

Every 2 Month/3 Month(longer but expecting nicer material content )

1. Beginner Tutorial,Tips & Trick
2. Medium Tutorial,Tips & Trick
3. Advance Tutorial,Tips & Trick
4. Darkphysic
5. Current Bug & Workarround to fix
6. DarkBasic Pro,Darkbasic,Omega Basic finished game review
7. Bussiness Section (Publish Offer,How to Publish,Bussiness Tips & Trick)
8. Dvd(Double Layer if possible) included material + Source code that disccussed on magazine + Demo/Free Game that got Reviewed,tools,etc
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 16:11
PDF would allow the magazine to be copied illegally...

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 16:22
PDF files can be encrypted, watermarked and password protected. If we went down the PDF route we would watermark it with your real name and address (as given when you purchased it / subscribed), and we'd use your forum password to password protect it with.

In short, you could still spread it around to other people, but it'd have your full name + address + forum password on it for all to see.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 16:26
Well then, printed + PDF would sure be nice.

Sayonari Omega Black
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 17:36
But of course !!!

$8 US with a cd

Every 2 Months

Everything about DB, game desing, interviews with game developers, tutorials, and on the cd I would like to see demos, code snippets, DB upgrades, media, etc.

Working on.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 18:05
Yes

At most £5

Once a month or less

Tips, Tricks and Stuff

Developer Games (as in forum users)
and
Developer Snippets

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 18:42
Absolutely

I would pay 10$

once a month

- Coding tips and tricks
- Coding Tutorials
- Various modeling tips for (milkshape, max, lightwave, maya)
- Hot topics
- Hot games with the best comments

cheers,
~Sn0wfall Studi0s

GamzMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 19:10 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 19:13
Yes, sounds like a great idea

Around £5 GBP sounds fair, as long as the content warrants it (which I believe it would)

Monthly sounds good, same as most computer mags

anything and everything about TGC products, tutorials and code is a must though.

Just gonna throw in some of my own ideas here:

How about a monthly coding comp (have a seperate board on the forum) where the winner wins a free mag for that month, each month the challege could change i.e. a DBP comp, FPSC comp etc

have a Q&A sections, users could email questions to Lee, Mike or Rich which can be answered (in detail) in the next mag

Each month interesting facts about the creaters of TGC and staff (besides the fact that Lee loves pizza and pasta hehe)

Different payment schemes would be good, yearly, pre-payment, or monthly

can't wait to get my hands on the first copy, oh BTW you sould also have an online version 'lite' in PDF, just that if a demo cd is provided this would not be included with the online version hence 'lite' edit: just noticed someone else has already mentioned this...sorry I should read before I post

Sleep...Whats that?
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 19:16
Yes.

Between $9.95-$13.95 USD depending on content.

Bi-monthly

- Advanced coding practices ie. flexible code, Scripting, AI
- Particle effects
- Putting the pieces together, 3d world, models, collision, AI, projectiles. It could be an ongoing series into creating a full game.

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 21:25
I'd certainly buy the first one or two issues, going on to buy more if I thought it was worth it.

2) What price would you expect to pay for it?
£5 seems reasonably reasonable, wouldn't have a problem with paying slightly more if I enjoyed the mag.

Every 2 months would be okay. But having typed that, I'd rather wait longer for a better mag.

4) What articles would interest you?
Too be honest this is where I'm stumped. My use of DB has more or less ground to a halt. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy coding games, my life's just taken priority for the last year or so. Add the fact that I've got ideas for a website that's currently taking up most of my spare time and DB is but a forgotten relative, sitting in the corner knitting like there's no tomorrow.

So all I can say is I enjoy the newsletter and would be interested in anything that you think most users would find genuinely interesting.

Wouldn't mind an article on a behind the scenes look at TGC either.

I AM A MORON
and won't change my sig until I get off my oversized behind and finish a project.
Lil Gaming Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 22:21
1. Would you buy the magazine?
Answer: YES!! I would buy it even if it didnt come with a DVD or CD!

2.What price would you expect to pay for it?
Answer: £2.50 seems reasonable

3.How often would you like to see it published?
Answer: Monthly

4.What articles would interest you?
Answer: DBPro tutorials, new updates/software, dare I say it every single one of your articles!

Blazer MMOG 0% C++
Sphere Mini Mania 50% Not in WIP and Will not be in WIP Get on my website to download each one of them!!!!!!
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
i'd probably say mabey $3-$4 an issue.i mean it sounds like a lot of people want it so tgc could make some big bucks

Have No Fear Help Is Here
DELL 800MHZ 1GB RAM PENTIUM 4 MICROSOFT XP
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 23:44 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 23:45
Quote: "Edit: Just to clarify - we will not have this magazine in bookstores or news agent shelves. We will have it printed locally and then ship it worldwide ourselves, so yes we can deliver it to any country."

Make sure you get a good publisher. Also, don't forget that there are a couple of relevant requirements of English law. For example, you may (and I stress: may) have to send copies to the copyright libraries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_library Your publisher can advise you about this kind of thing.

Quote: "1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?"

Probably, yes.

Quote: "2) What price would you expect to pay for it? (please state currency as well!)"

About £5 an edition assuming it is of reasonably equivalent quality to the equivalently priced magazines that you find in newsagents.

Quote: "3) How often would you like to see it published?"

Once a month.

Quote: "4) and finally, What articles would interest you?"

Pretty much any article on game creation and coding. The main thing is the quality of the writing and the examples.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
Quote of the week: "I highly recommend Philip's Vector Tutorials" (RiiDii)
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 00:11
Probably not, but that's just me. I like buying something that can be used over and over again, like DBPro.

If I did buy it, $1.

Every...2 or 3 weeks.

Articles on specific coding methods in DBPro, such as special effects or physics.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 03:04
Yes (funds allowing - so probably not likely in the near future!)

£4 - £5 sterling (with cd).

Monthly.

* Info on getting stuff published.

* Info on licencing/copyright issues for our own developments.

* Competitions with 'get your game/application published and make a mint' style prizes!

* Job Vacancies for gaming industry positions (I'm sure companies would want to head-hunt using such a targetted audience!).

* All the other good stuff people have posted above (coding tips etc.).

* A real geek section dedicated to using DB-Pro with VC++ (not necessarily with the DGSDK, but directly with the DB-Pro exe and dlls!).

I know you have already said you won't be doing this, but why not have just the first issue published and distributed to news agents and include DB-Pro Trial on the coverdisk? Could be a good way to get a s**tload of new users!

Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 07:31
Yes, of course!

$6 - $8 USD

Monthly if there is enough content, otherwise, bi-monthly.

Most of the stuff posted above would be nice.

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 768 MB PC3200 Ram, ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256 MB
Dark Basic Professional 5.9 Dark IDE nearly complete!
Shadow Light
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 14:13
Yes

$20 USD yearly

monthly/ bi-monthly at least

Game demos/releases by DB users (downloading more than 5MBs on dailup bites),coding tips and program flow charting, how best to use subroutines and functions, Plugin tutorials, snippets, free models and textures, Independent DBC/DBP/FPSC/Play Basic/Dark SDK Developer interviews, best of DBC/DBP/FPSC/Play Basic/Dark SDK, Marketing tips, game/app critics and tips

PS. I would actually prefer to receive that mag on CD rather than printed. That way I could just pop it into my comp and browse pages freely and any page I wanted printed I could do mayself. Also, a CD mag would take up less space in my lab and be less likely to get trashed by spills or torn apart accidentally.... and it wont be a fire hazard (don't ask). Not to mention that I could copy/paste any code from a tutorial and test it and learn from it more quickly and accurately. Finally, a CD version could be more interactive such as having vids of games/apps made with TGC products as well as vid tutorials. All of this is not mentioning that a CD mag would be cheaper to print and ship.

To Fragg or Not To Fragg....
Yea right. Let's FRAGG EM ALL!!!!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 15:04
1) Yes... "funds allowing"

so no, i wouldn't... (unless it was like 5$ but i'm not going to insult you by asking it be that little)

"We make the worst games in the universe..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:27:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:27:50