Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC Game Making Magazine - Opinion Poll

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 11:46 Edited at: 17th Apr 2006 11:48
Everything is already said, so i'm only going to answer questions 1 and 2.

1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?
definately

2) What price would you expect to pay for it? (please state currency as well!)
I have to go with MaxGamer: €5 - €10.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
zniper monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 19:56
1. I would buy it
2. up to twenty five dollars US
3. monthly
4. FPSC, storyline development, tips and tricks in general

I'm a noob and proud of it!!! GRRRR!!!
James Michael
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 21:08

Yes, Definately.

£6 G.B.P. maximum.

3) How often would you like to see it published?

About once a month sounds good, I don't like magazines that come out too soon or magazines that take forever.

4) and finally, What articles would interest you?

Possibly long tutorials spanned over about 10 magazines to make a good-ish quality game.
Plugin creation
A tutorial on how to go about making a 'town' like level with interactive doors and stuff in DB would be nice.
Animation tutorials

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather than include a CD, I would expect most people interested would be able to download the files easily so you could have a no-cd version which may be cheaper.

Also I wouldn't mind adverts in there, if it will keep the price low and improve the content.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 04:00
1) Heck yes! I'd buy it.
2) Depends on the content. Between $12 and $24
3) Depends on the price. If either 6 times a year, 12 times a year or 24 times a year.
4) Anything and everything.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 19:32
1) Of course I'd buy it
2) I'd pay about $60 tops for a yearly subscription
3) I like monthly magazines
4) Oh I dont know....RPG related stuff...maybe some nifty tricks

Join Our Forums and get game updates faster!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 23:44
No.

The rest of my answers aren't really necessary to your poll! I don't really buy magazines, so it's no slur on your idea.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 08:56
a magazine? Finally! I need something to read and do when i dont have a computer screen to stare at, right?

Would It interest me?
Why yes, yes it would.

How much would i pay for it?
My limits about $14. I would rather only pay $5.45 though.

What would i like to see in it?
-Game Making wise
DarkBASIC Pro stuff
DarkBASIC Classic stuff
FPS Creator stuff
Omega BASIC (you havnt had a forum for it here...) stuff
-3D stuff wise
T.Ed stuff
Caligari Gamespace (I wonder if its really worth $249 though...)
3D world studio stuff
Action3D stuff (thats the poly reducer right?)
etc...
-Magazine specials
a CD with every purchase (with tons of demos too!)
Information on the 20-LINE CHALLENGE with whos doing the best, etc...
WIP game demos
Information on whats to come with all of those products.

Now i have a question, Would i have to order a subscription off the internet? Thats what it seems like i would have to do.

In other words i have summed up the conclusionl,
YES! DO IT! Hurry!

Wait go back a second. Free donuts?! You are a god!
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 19:58

I would like to buy something like that but I don't see if that's possible for me.

3-4 euros for 1 piece if it's monthly and 5-6 euros if it's every 2 months. But it depends on shipment price... There's long way to Croatia
And I would probably be paying via bank transfer (which is more expensive) so it would be good if we'd be able to pay for 1 year.

Daily. But since that's not possible monthly would be ok.

DBPro tutorials (memblocks specially)
2D art
3D art
SFX
Code snippets
Questions and answers (user asks a question and you answer)
Demos
Games and apps sent by users

And, of course, there should be CD included with the magatine.

Za dom - spremni!
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 03:29
Yea I would buy a copy.
Humm I think around £5
Monthly
How tos
Demos
Modeling and other 3D stuff
Cover disk of course
I think a review of games have been made game makers
Mika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 15:18
Yes, depending on the its content.

Between 4 and 5 euros

one publication every 2 months

Tutorials dedicated to code, programming architecture and design, algorithmics.
Set of useful and reusable pieces of code.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2006 11:55
1) Yes, I don't buy many magazines, but this one would be both entertaining and quite useful

2) For a yearly subscription of 6 issues, maybe $50 US

3) Bi-monthly sounds like a good idea. Once a month may be too often, not giving TGC enough time to provide quality articles and information

4) Article or section ideas:

Special effects-From the basics of explosions to more complicated things such as motion blur or bullet holes

Tips and tricks-Simple tricks to achieve cool looking effects such as effective UV map shifting techniques and ideas for its use, or vertex manipulation to achieve a morphing effect

The basics-Just things that are pretty basic to game development, but some people may not be aware of. Things like how to effectively use transparency, ghosted objects, alphamapping, bump mapping, etc

Special issues-Issues dedicated to a specific topic, such as sound or animation. I think that sound effects are very underrated in game development.

And James Michael had a very good point, you could make a no-CD version that is slightly less expensive and have links on a small website where subscribers could download all the material.

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
SirRoss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2006 17:43
Yes.

Well, firstly I would pay up to £6, most PC magazines are priced at this, with CD. I think something the staff should take into account. If you look at the price difference between two very big UK magazines. PCGamer(£5.99) and Kerrang!(£1.99) I can see two differences, firstly there is a CD with PCGamer weekly, and I think this would be a definite plus to a TGC magazine, with models, utilities, extras, etc. But mainly, printing. PCGamer magazine is printed page by page, and glue bound at the side, with a spine, whereas Kerrang! is A3 sheets just stapled together in the centre. Either would be fine for a TGC magazine, but stapled A3 sheets, is a much cheaper printing technique.

Monthly, Bi-monthly would be best, though monthly would have more chance for refined and worthwhile content, while still being affordable for those people who can't buy every issue.

Tutorials, Q&A, previews, game reviiews, DBP, FPSC, technology news

Maybe a free notice baord, people could send small adverts in, if there looking for coders, modellers, models, snippets, help etc.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 10:04
1. Yes i would

2. 30 to 60 USD

3. Monthly

4.>

Tutorials(broad spectrum)

Interviews with TGC members and community game devers who complete a game or accomplish something cool

Updates to small genre competitions(not like a real compo more like the battle of the ORPGs post)

News and upcoming things to the TGC universe

What everyone else said...

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
Underworld 1020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 21:23 Edited at: 1st May 2006 21:24
Quote: "1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?"

Quote: "2) What price would you expect to pay for it? (please state currency as well!)"

Quote: "3) How often would you like to see it published?"

Quote: "4) and finally, What articles would interest you?"

mike ccc 987
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Certanily
2. 30 American buck WOOT for a couple months
3. Every week or two
4. Definatly tutorials. I think their should be two main parts, 3d tutorials and 2d tutorials. They would cover most asked question ex for 2d Gravity, animation, colison (still can't figure that one out) and etc
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 06:33
Actually I changed my mind. You guys have enough trouble trying to gather content and get the monthly newsletter out on time.

Tobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 11:26 Edited at: 3rd May 2006 12:53
Absolutely.

£5 with or without CD. Downloadable media from webby would be sufficient.

Monthly would be fantastic, but bi-monthly would be fine.

* General tutorials of course.
* Interviews with coders on how they approached the design of their games/utils/demos
* Coding projects. I.e step by step guide to coding your own Jet-Set-Willy retro remake, or a 2/3 room FPS. Guides that are small & complete and allow us to explore further.
* And of course, some bird on page 3 with her bangers out please.

Tobo.
the master of all
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds cool
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 07:20 Edited at: 11th May 2006 09:37
Unlikely, as i dont very often buy manazines and have never subscribed to any, also im not sure if theres that much i could learn, like the current newsletter i find myself scrolling past alot of articles.

2) What price would you expect to pay for it?
£5 (with disc) arent all magazines like that?

bi monthly to fit everything in, as the newsletter isnt exactly that big so you need some time.

i would really like to see some very good tech demos of games that actually look professional, and would have darkphysics in(when released) and lots of shaders and effects and what not, with full source and all media, and possibly a step by step guide to how various effects were acomplished and what types of problems were encountered and so on and so forth, if there was that sort of thing i would be interested.

articles about modern games and the effects they use, and howto achieve those in dbp.

Hallowed are the ori.
Jahya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 01:05 Edited at: 6th May 2006 01:07
Should'nt these tutorials already be covered in the basic documentation that comes with these products? I figure anyone who purchaces DBP has the right to some example documentation.

I could see the seperation of this if DBP was intended for more than just games. But since it's main purpose is such, you know.

Why not just make a wiki page with staff and user submitted tutorials for free, instead of milking customers?

If the magazine covered game design theory and methods, then sure. But not if it just covers the apps.
Bartman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 12:40
I have already answered all 4 questions so I won't throw out your stats by answering them again.

But in ref to Q4 I wanted to say a big 'YES' to the following two comments -- because that's how I got into programming too, and I think that giving us code to type in and then tinker with is very important and a powerful learning tool.

Quote: "Matrix --- Just want to say that its a great idea because many of the mainstream developers out there are people that started out with COMPUTE! learning Basic on their VIC20's an C64's. I learned alot back in the day typing the code right out of the magazine into the computer then tinkering with it. I learned alot back then and I bet there are equally as talented people out there now who just need the direction that a magazine like this could give."

Quote: "kochOn --- Tips, lot of short listing (like I could find when I bought CPC Magazine 20 years ago). I need a mag that will teach me a lot about making cool games with DBPro. "

I think that I learn't much more from actually having to type something in than I learn these days by doing cut 'n' paste or downloading. Maybe it's because of impatience, you type in a few lines then run it to see what it does, then type in some more - without realising you're learning stuff along the way!

Plus. What do you think about including in the mag a competition where you guys give us a small simple program (a foundation to build on) and ask us to tinker with it and return the results of our tinkering. Obviously there would be limits, like maybe we can double the number of lines of code we start with, or we can add no more than 100 lines of code (or whatever). I like the idea of typing in a bunch of code and being invited to do something with it. And it will be interesting to see what others did too, - a'la (Why didn't I think of that?).
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 18:23 Edited at: 14th May 2006 00:03

I would buy it providing there was a subscription option that reduced the overall price. Also I worked out how much 64-pages is, and it's not much at all. Most PC mag's I buy are over 100 pages at least. I don't give a damn about full colour for all of it, if you want to print the tutorials at new's paper quaility that's fine by me, and will reduce the price for you.

2) What price would you expect to pay for it?
I'd suggest around £20 for a six month subscription, and £35 for twelve months. I pay around that for my PC Pro magazine subscription.

Every month, that's the average for most PC magazines and it provides the TGC with plenty of time for writing tutorials. If it was every two months it's not worth doing, 2 months is a very long time by anyone's standards, and not worth it for a mere 64 pages.

I would like too see three levels of tutorial. Beginners, intermidiate, and advanced. Beginners can cover basic 2D games like missle command, astroid's, space invaders etc and provide the users with sample media to use. Cover all the 2D retro games. Intermediate can deal with 3D games in part sections, for example a tutorial on a full FPS game (again with basic sample media, and details on how to make your own) and finally for advanced I'd like to see shader tutorials and samples, along with networking and other common sticking points for users.

The retro games can be done "per magazine" so one month we learn to make a shooter, the next, a version of space invaders, the next, missle command etc. The FPS game can be a part work, something like every 3 - 6 magazines you get enough tutorials for a decent, quake 3 level game. And I mean a decent game, nothing is going to loose subscribers faster then discovering that vital eliments, such as save games, options menu's etc aren't apart of it. Don't be tempted to do it hard heartedly.

I don't want to see the mag pushing tutorials for other 3rd party programs that TGC sells too much, if it's a magazine about darkbasic professional, make at least 80% of the content related to that core product without too much reference too the plugin's sold for it. I DON'T WANT TO DISCOVER THAT I NEED TO BUY A DLL JUST TO COMPLETE A TUTORIAL.

hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 20:22
I support everyting you guys do. In the case you publish it and If you send it to Puerto Rico, i'll definitly buy. Even Best i can distribute it here in Puerto Rico.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 18:04
1) Maybe if it has what I wanted in it

2) $3.00 US not including shipping

3) Monthly

4) Dark GDK articles on complex topics such as:

-Networking to handle many players
-3D Maths
-Collision / Physics
-Featured Code Selection (maybe a radar screen, health bar etc)

anything else you care.
I'd only want it if it had a DGDK section.

5/14/06- 1427 lines into my 3D game engine! Player Movement and File System completed. Working on weapon inventory and player classes.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 06:51 Edited at: 21st May 2006 06:56
1.Yes as much as possible

2.5$US

3.Every 1-2 months would be great

4.Most code related things, as long as there were parts written for DBC as well as DBP. It would also be cool if there were articles about ai, game engine making(how to make an fps-movement, looking, weapon pickup,etc. or at least tips on how to start), and game physics that don't require dlls or other files(like if they were math oriented or used other commands). Another good idea, I think, would be to include code for common functions(such as how to make an object move when keys are press, or how to make the camera circle an object based on mouse movement) that the reader could add to his/her database so that they could use it in all of their programs. I don't really care what else is in there, as long as its about game making, how could you go wrong .

What I don't want this magazine to become, is a magazine filled only with things that must be bought, such as plugins etc, and filled with things that are only for DBP. My reason for this is because I have DBC(I don't think I will be getting DBP anytime soon) and I want to be able to get this magazine and be able to get completely useful info from it, without having to wonder "Does the command in the magazine work in DBC too?"
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 20:23
Quote: "1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?"

Yup. I'd probably subscribe to it, but I thikn they should be available on a single issue basis. I don't subscribe to things unless I know what I'm getting.

Quote: "2) What price would you expect to pay for it? (please state currency as well!)"

£5 per issue, discount or free issue for subscription.

Quote: "3) How often would you like to see it published?"

Bi-monthly. I don't want an empty magazine.

Quote: "4) and finally, What articles would interest you?"

DBC/DBP tutorials. Possibly a tutorial that builds up to a complete game over several issues.

DB news, previews on programs in develpment from both TGC, and users of DB

Reviews of completed games

Competitions

3D modelling tutorials/tips (not program-specific)

2D tutorials/tips (not program-specific)

CD with demos,games, vids, tutorials, occasional model packs

FAQ-for those who can't use the seach button on the forums. Answer the most common problems.

Q&A-allow readers to write in for a solution to a coding problem. The most useful questions could have to solution printed.

JGR
Years of Service
User Offline
Just an idea - why don't you create the mag as a pdf file and post it to those who subscibe to it.
This would save you a lot of time and money so the mag could be larger.

regards to all and I would buy it

The Sim Man
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 19:27
To encourage people you could also give away a free plugin every month

Neptune
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 20:57
YEP

£2-£3

Bi monthly would be fine

-Bringing elements from 3DWS in and combining AI and Physics
-World building
-Texturing
-DBP tutorials
-FPSC tutorials
-anything really!!

I suppose a PDF version would be good (especially for copying code from) but its always nice to have a printed version.
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 21:39
I was just thinking that a downloadable version could be available for those worried about shipping costs. I live in the UK though, so I'd rather have the printed mag.

sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 04:50
Depends where it would be sold
If it were wal-mart sure
But i woulndt go out of my way to get it
8-10 dollars
Bi monthly
Useful code, tutorials

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 22:03
Yes

This depends on the quality of the material inside. If it is mostly tutorials w code and great explanations of the material then I would look at it as a supplement and be willing to pay $20 US for it. I know alot of you may think thats alot since I see alot of people saying things in the range of $5-7 US, but quite frankly print materials are very expensive and since Im betting at the high end they may be able to sell 500-1000 copies of each issue they will likely just barely meet the minimum print amount from most printers.

Even self publishing (Copy store) and hand folding and stapling a magazine runs into a bit (I have done quite a bit of self publishing of print material) an 11x17 sheet that they print 4 pages on in BW costs US about .17 ($2.72 US) If the cover is left BW you can get away with about the same .17, Hand folding and stapling are cheap but then the book needs to be trimmed (10 cents US) So your looking at about $3.10 per copy if they self publish (A little less if the have a large laser printer around $2.53US)

Since rarely are they going to get a bunch of people who want to contribute many hours to writing, editing, and setting up the magazine you need to expect that in the cost as well. So if you want to see this and want good content I would be prepared to pay more than a magazine thet has 50,000 copies printed and not compare price to them.

Quarterly, Not that I would not like to have a nice info packed issue dropped on my doorstep every month, I think that until a solid foundation has been set with the magazine and it is constantly full of great material it should not come out more often than this.

Mainly DBpro stuff here and DarkSDK (which I plan to purchase soon), One fear I have is buying a copy and having 20 pages devoted to FPSC, thus I am losing 30% of the material I just purchased. The types of articles Would be things like

Function Corner(A gathering of useful functions for a specific purpose such as one month on Pathfinding, another month multiplayer or whatever)

Tutorials: These need to be a start to finish tutorial so all the info is in one place whether it is on how to make a FPS, RPG, Sidescroller or whatever.

Final Thought: I would suggest this starts as a PDF magazine since the only real cost here is time and it could be offered to the community inexpensively. This could help gather data on how many people might be interested in print material also.

Willing to volunteer my time in layout/design capacity (hell its what i went to school for guess I should use it)
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 03:12
1) Would you actually buy such a magazine? Yes

2) What price would you expect to pay for it? $15.00 USD

3) How often would you like to see it published? Once a month

4) and finally, What articles would interest you? Stuff about Fpsc, or maby a guide on how to model and object.

Admin 7737
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 10:29 Edited at: 27th May 2006 10:30
Quote: "1) Would you actually buy such a magazine?

4) and finally, What articles would interest you?"

Yea! Defenatly!

£3.00 - £5.00 Probably no more than £5

Every 2 weeks - 1 month??

Hottest games, latest new pakeges, hints and tips, readers letters, upgrades and so on!!

All in all I think its a exerlant idea!!

But... what will it be called? TGC magazine??

-----------------------------------------------------------
Im in A race With 5 People And I'm in third, I over Take 2nd, In what position am I? (Email me for the Answer!)
macdaddy 41
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 00:23
I'd get in on this magazine, around

$5-10 bucks would be good, less would be great

(That's US dollars)

As long as theres help articles and news/so on, I'd subscibe.

I'll eat your soul. I really will.
Sergeant Mike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 09:33
What a good idea. Havent been here in a while. But holy crap, bring on the subscription!

1) Would you actually buy such a magazine? Of course. TGC gets all of my money! jk. Do not go to a PDF format. I like something I can hold, any enjoy. Like when sitting on the crapper, I could read it over and over.

2) What price would you expect to pay for it? 40$-60$ a year

3) How often would you like to see it published? Once a month

4) Finally, What articles would interest you? Creating games from scratch. Every mag would go further into the development of that game. At the end of the year. You created your first game people will actually play! Im sick of pong! FPS Creator material, Making of models, and putting them into FPSC or DarkBASIC. I think models is by far the hardest thing for the indies. MATRIX creation, editing. Completed games made with TGC products. Including level design, character design, concept art, even demos. World Studio Pro. Demo CD's, of World Studio Pro, DarkBASIC etc.

With a ending note: Go with this. It will put TGC even further on the map then it already is. How? Well just think, if i had that mag laying around, or took it to work, and someone picked it up, went to the TGC site, purchased, lets say DarkBASIC pro. BAM! You just got another noob, along with 90$ in your account. (PS: dont hold us responsible for the "how to create an MMO" post later)

Thanks guys.

TGC Ownz Me
Admin 7737
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 22:08
Will it be in America or UK?? Or both?? Or worldwide??!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Im in A race With 5 People And I'm in third, I over Take 2nd, In what position am I? (Email me for the Answer!)
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 18:03
Good Idea, I hope it can be ordered from anywhere in the world, free shipping ofcourse!

The New Generation Of Game Development. Coming Soon!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:46:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:46:05