Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] Easy FPS - a first person shooter engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 15:36
Quote: "lets hope they reply quick!"

Well... I haven't got any replys yet. I won't continue on the editor until I get a confirmation or a way to fix it.

Also, I must bring bad news yet again... The Dark Physics release date may slip once more

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 16:41
...Ah man...not again.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 14:03 Edited at: 23rd May 2006 14:11
I got some good news this time!

I got an answer back from the bug report(About the program crashing if you close windows). And I got a solution on how to fix it! I'm very happy about this. This is a very good improvement to the Easy FPS Editor!

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 14:41
Yipee!!!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 15:26 Edited at: 23rd May 2006 15:34
Editor Update

Right,

I just improved the object loading system... With this new one, it is easier for you to import your own models

*Other Changes*

-Crash bug when closing windows fixed

This Editor update is starting to get better than I expected!

Cheers,

-The Nerd

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 16:21
Good news!

Hopefully The runtime can be built soon!

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 16:57
Quote: "Hopefully The runtime can be built soon!"

Yeah... I'm gonna purchase the bundle pack with Dark AI and Dark Physics today.

-The Nerd

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 17:28
WOW,then it will be VERY good,Better AI then FPSC and hopefully better psychics too.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 11:25
Right, I got Dark AI now. Will play around with it later today

-The Nerd

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 13:45
Good luck with it,

Hopefully mine will ever become as great as yours..

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 14:16
I have to say it's looking very professional. Can't wait for a demo!

Keep posting screenies!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 22:24
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 14:04
Quote: "I have to say it's looking very professional"

Thanks!

Quote: "Keep posting screenies!"

I will post some when there is something worthy of showing

Right now I'm actually just waiting for Dark Physics to get available. Right now I'm playing with Dark AI and it's really good so far.

-The Nerd

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 11:45 Edited at: 30th May 2006 11:48
A small update to let you all know what's happening.

First of, a realistic release date for Dark Physics is now the third week in June. So let's hope it reaches us this time

Also, now that the editor is very stable and I don't really miss any features for it right now, I've started to write a big user guide for Easy FPS since the current available documentation for it right now is... Well... Not good When I've finished up the new documentation I will release the Easy FPS editor V1.0 for you all to test.

I've also included a bit more media for the editor now. All the media comes from a free 3D package by The Game Creators(Except my own speaker model). It can be found in one of the newsletters.

Cheers,

-The Nerd

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 12:49
Sweet man. Can't wait for dark physics! Go Nerd!

The nintendo Wii. Okay...
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 17:52 Edited at: 30th May 2006 17:53
Quote: "Sweet man. Can't wait for dark physics! Go Nerd!"

Hehe, thanks!

yay! Just fixed a clone object bug that would cause the cloned object to have a messed up size. It was quite hard to find... But atleast it's fixed now! Also I've started writing a tutorial that will show you how to create a simple level. When the user guide is done I hope you'll be able to learn everything the editor has to offer in it's current state And then the runtime part later on!!!

-The Nerd

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 18:03
Quote: "Just fixed a clone object bug that would cause the cloned object to have a messed up size. It was quite hard to find... But atleast it's fixed now!"

I'm sorry to invade your thread, but I'm having this same problem right now. It might have been slightly different, but who knows. How did you fix it?

BTW, this is a thread I keep tabs on. It's looking fabulous. I really can't wait to see it completed.

Come see the WIP!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 18:08 Edited at: 30th May 2006 18:10
Quote: "I'm sorry to invade your thread, but I'm having this same problem right now. It might have been slightly different, but who knows. How did you fix it?"

No problem I saw your thread with a cloned object were the object bounce get's messed up right? If that's the case, sorry then it's not the same problem. The problem I had was simply just the general scale of the object, which was caused by an array. Sorry that I couldn't help.

Quote: "BTW, this is a thread I keep tabs on. It's looking fabulous. I really can't wait to see it completed. "

Thanks! Right now the big moment is clearly when you can start to play the games you make!

Cheers,

-The Nerd

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 21:19
As soon as you got PsychX it wil be completed and molten to one!!!

(a bit TO conspiracy'ish?)

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 02:01 Edited at: 31st May 2006 02:02
I worry about DarkPhysics. Say, for example, you used the plugin and wanted to sell your FPS creator for a small amount of money. You probably wouldn't be able to because of the licensing thing. And, anyone that made a game would have to obtain a licence. It just all seems so ugly for an indie developer making a game engine for distribution.

Come see the WIP!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 05:37
If you're trying to make a profit off of a game, then it makes sense that you'd pay for a license fee for a professional system that you're using.

-The Nerd

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 13:10 Edited at: 31st May 2006 14:15
@QuothTheRaven:

Are you trying to be funny or something with your post signed with my name? Please edit it.

-The Nerd

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 11:20
No, I'm just showing you the error of your ways

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 11:39
Quote: "No, I'm just showing you the error of your ways"

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 08:46
hey nerd did you die or something because its been a while. or did you just stop working on it?
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 22:38
he isnt dead.ive seen him posting alot.but hes working on the runtime as what i know wich can be very frustrating...

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 08:27
@the nerd
Are you going to respond?
If you are, how's the runtime going?

You should check out my encode and decode functions for saves, thats if you want though. (They are in the 20-line challenge)
I also have an idea for the EXE files... When the person chooses to build the project (Like in FPSC), you should have the runtime be copied and renamed (or renamed during copy). This is what it seems like FPSC does, but it's your project, i'm just trying to help.

I finally have a NEW computer!!!
Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64-BIT Processor, ATI Radeon Graphics, Windows Vista compatable, DirectX 9.0c, 2 Hard Drives, 6 Extra Drives, etc. etc.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 02:18 Edited at: 13th Jul 2006 02:22
Oh, sorry all for not responding, or updating for that matter... I though I could get away with letting this thread die

No, the project is not dead. It's just not gonna be open for the public anymore. The reason I made this decision is because of the complications it would be for a public fps engine when I use Dark Physics... Of course, I think of the license here... So to stay out of trouble, I've decided to make it my own engine, which will be used for my own future FPS Game(Which I'm planning).

Quote: "You should check out my encode and decode functions for saves, thats if you want though. (They are in the 20-line challenge)
I also have an idea for the EXE files... When the person chooses to build the project (Like in FPSC), you should have the runtime be copied and renamed (or renamed during copy). This is what it seems like FPSC does, but it's your project, i'm just trying to help."

Already know how to do it all myself And i've already wrote in this thread how I'm gonna do it:

Quote: "The engine doesn't make an exe really. There will be a pre-compiled exe following with the engine. This exe will be able to use all the data from the easyFPS files(This file contains all the data about your level) to build the game. So when you build the game it copys this exe into your project folder"

Simple

Sorry all, I should have made this update before, just didn't think anyone would bump. But hopefully, I will post a thread on the WIP board later on with a FPS Game that's gonna be developed using the Easy FPS engine

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 10:30
ahhhh.... :'-(

Well with that said...
Before I saw this thread (the first time), i was working on a level editor called "EasyEdit" and then you had "EasyFPS" so I didnt want to make it look like i was copying you by the time it was ready, so now i must ask you if it would be alright with you if i can use "EasyEdit", i don't see why not, but i don't want to look like i'm trying to copy any names or ideas or anything, then all of a sudden get on your bad side.

Oh, and thank you for letting us know that the thread is dead so i can stop checking it (after your next response)

I finally have a NEW computer!!!
Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64-BIT Processor, ATI Radeon Graphics, Windows Vista compatable, DirectX 9.0c, 2 Hard Drives, 6 Extra Drives, etc. etc.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 15:26
Quote: "Before I saw this thread (the first time), i was working on a level editor called "EasyEdit" and then you had "EasyFPS" so I didnt want to make it look like i was copying you by the time it was ready, so now i must ask you if it would be alright with you if i can use "EasyEdit", i don't see why not, but i don't want to look like i'm trying to copy any names or ideas or anything, then all of a sudden get on your bad side."

Hehe, sure you can! No problem at all. As long as you don't use EasyFPS, hehe It wasn't really neccesary for you to ask me for "permission" I don't decide what to call others products But I appriaciate that you ask anyway.

Quote: "Oh, and thank you for letting us know that the thread is dead so i can stop checking it (after your next response)
"

No problem, although I think I should have said that much earlier.

Cheers.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Awww, I was looking forward to this, couldn't you, just release a source code or something, so people who own Dark AI (like myself) can compile it and use it also.
Or maybe if you want you can sell the source code, just a suggestion.

Visit http://www.natsam.co.uk to find out about my games.
[href][/href]
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 03:30
Quote: "Awww, I was looking forward to this, couldn't you, just release a source code or something, so people who own Dark AI (like myself) can compile it and use it also.
Or maybe if you want you can sell the source code, just a suggestion."

Well... The source would still include Dark Physics code right?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 05:20
The code doesn't matter.

Imagine this - what if you did it just like FPSC? That is, you sold the editor. However, it would be up to people to compile the runtime engine on their own. Then, they'd have to own DarkPhysics to do so. Distributing DarkPhysics would get you in trouble. Distributing an editor with DBP code wouldn't.

People would just have to understand that in order to sell their game, they'd still need to make a deal with Ageia. So long as your engine can showcase the physics well, then nobody will have a problem.

In a nutshell : distributing DP code - no problem. Selling a DP enabled runtime engine - problem. Technically, if you aren't distributing the compiled runtime with your editor, you wouldn't even need to contact Ageia about it. And, your demo game could just be a separate, free download.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 07:52
@the nerd
Cash has got a point there.

@cash curtis II
what if he gave it away for free? And what if it wasn't a runtime, just a game, would he still need to get a contract? If so, i don't think i'll get Dark Physics, i'd rather just use newton and not get tied into legal issues...

Did you ever dream of creating a professional 3d game, easily, and fast? Game Developer
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=84124&b=8
Be Ruler of your World...
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 07:59
If it's free, then you can make all the Dark Physics games that you want. If you want to sell it, then you need a license. If your game meets their 'Grandmother Test', then you qualify for a free liscense. The Grandmother Test is if your grandmother could tell the difference between the sofware only and hardware version of the same product, side by side.

Technically, he could sell the game editor. He can include his engine code with that purchase, because it's only code - people would still have to buy Dark Physics for DBP, and it would be their responsibility to aquire the rights to distribute their game made with the editor. He would get in trouble if, and only if, he sold the runtime engine with it, because he would need to purchase a full commercial liscense to do so.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 08:01
Oh, alright.

@the nerd
So why don't you just give us the runtime?

Did you ever dream of creating a professional 3d game, easily, and fast? Game Developer
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 09:31 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 09:33
You guys are mean It's mine, all mine!

No, really... But maybe it would be possible to release the editor... Who knows... And then of course making it open source so people could smelt it together with a runtime engine of their own etc...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 09:33
But I bring a message of peace and hope! If you do it like I said, you could sell your editor.

Come see the WIP!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 09:35 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 09:47
Quote: "But I bring a message of peace and hope! If you do it like I said, you could sell your editor."

Sure I would But it wouldn't be a full game creaton software. Only an editor. Sure it would take away some work for the user. But I don't know how much I would sell anyway if people would need to make their own runtime for it.

Making it freeware would do(the editor)... Then the people that are willing to offer some work on it, can just do so...

But then again... Making an exclusive FPS Engine for myself and then see someone else using my editor... Hmm...

I guess it's just best if I don't release anything of it. Please don't start to ask why, it's just the way it's going to be

I will continue to develop it, and then start to make a game with it.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 09:49
Quote: "
I guess it's just best if I don't release anything of it. Please don't start to ask why, it's just the way it's going to be"

why? j/k

Alright then... Well, what ever suits you I guess... Hell, it is your editor, and it's not like you made it open-source or nothing, so... Alright...

Well, speaking of editors...
@cash curtis II
What do you think of GD?

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 18:46 Edited at: 21st Jul 2006 18:49
Sorry for the bump... But I'm just here to tell that I'm developing on a public version of Easy FPS right now. I got this simple idea today, that would allow me to develop on a public version without any worries.

There will be a private version and a public version. The private version is for me only(duh), and the public version is for everyone. Now the difference between these two version is that they don't share the same engine. The private version will use an engine with Dark Physics, while the Public engine will use an engine with ODE Physics. I chosed ODE physics because they're easy to use... But mostly because of it's license. Of course ODE isn't as good as Dark Physics! But rather ODE physics than no FPS Engine at all(For the community)

Actually, the runtime now works quite good... It can load .EFPS files and build the levels from them. It also make objects dynamic!!! And it works very good right now. The next thing to do right now is to make you able to control the player... After that's done, I will release a demo... The demo is gonna be a small game made with Easy FPS!

I really hope that this demo will be released tonight

Oh, and by the way. Easy FPS Public and private will both use the same editor. So it's the same editor as you've tried in earlier demos

Cheers.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 07:28
Yay! You should make a new thread though, as if people go through and read what you commented earlier, they will probobly not read this part, and just leave.

Ode is better than none, i agree! Will the public version be Open Source?

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 08:14
@The Nerd: WOOT!! you rock man! thank you so much! have a pear!

Ya you should make another thread though.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 13:29
Quote: "Yay! You should make a new thread though, as if people go through and read what you commented earlier, they will probobly not read this part, and just leave."

Yeah, I've thought about that too Will do when I have a good demo to show.

Quote: "Ode is better than none, i agree! Will the public version be Open Source?"

Haven't decided yet

Quote: "@The Nerd: WOOT!! you rock man! thank you so much! have a pear!"

haha!

Quote: "Ya you should make another thread though."

Same as above answer ^^

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 09:39
Cool! ODE is easier to use, ive tried newton earlier, and it's documented. I couldnt get the hang of it. Then I tried ode, undocumented. And i've gotten about 50x more progress then newton.

What are you gonna use for collision?

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 15:45
Quote: "What are you gonna use for collision?"

Well... Since I use ODE, I guess the collision system in ODE

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 09:56
Alright then.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:18:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:18:58