Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Which is the best RPG game ever made?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 11:19 Edited at: 18th Jun 2006 11:23
My all time favorite is FF8, everything is just perfect. FF9, FF10 are pretty good too though. I didn't like number 7 though, but thats probably because I started with 8.

Next would be The Lengend of Dragoon:

Commodore kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 12:40
Quote: "If you want more just ask, I can dig up many other great freeware RPGs."

Thanks that would be nice.

im sorry for the spamming i used to do i hope u can all find it in your harts to forgive me
Luigi Mario
Years of Service
User Offline
Final Fantasy 7. Best game ever made. I enjoy the story more than the graphics or the gameplay (which are decent and top-notch, respectively), and that is the mark of a great game to me. To bring in perspective, would you rather watch The Godfather, or some high-budget garbage loaded with special effects and popular music for a high dollar return rate? Graphics fade, Story is eternal.

Only on the right half of the screen can you truly find zen.
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 02:14
Ugh...I've been looking for Legend of Dragoon for ages. Can't find it anywhere. I'm always on the lookout for good RPGs, but lately I've resorted to playing second rate stuff because all the good ones are either only available second hand, or I've completed at least twice.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 02:38
                                                            Runescape

~ ~
JAVA

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 22:33 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 01:22
Commodore kid:
Quote: "Thanks that would be nice."

All right then. Here's six more.
(All games are 100% finished, of excellent quality. And free!)

Title:
Vampyr: Talisman of Invocation (AKA) Vampyr: The Blue Rose

Dos

Comments:
This is an RPG, its top-down grid style. (Kind of like Ultima.) If a hostile touches you, you drop into a battle arena, where you fight via grid combat. Hostiles may be composed of multiple units. (Example: One bandit could = 12 bandits.) There are lots of things to do in this one... and even if you do die that may not be the end. You enter the afterlife, where your accomplishments are added up and you are judged. (It is possible to be granted a second chance, if you've done enough.)

Link:
http://www.electric-games.com/pc-games/v/pc-vampyr.html
(Finding a place to download this was difficult, this game is not well known.)

Title:
Boundless Ocean +

Dos (I think, it ran fine in Win98 though.)

Comment:
This one looks pretty good, I haven't finished it myself yet though.

The game is is not just a finished game, it has also been expanded hence the + in the title. The expanded portion of the game is accessible via the 'mandala wheel'. I haven't played far enough to know what this wheel is.

Link:
http://orchieluv.castleparadox.com/

Title:
Dark Ages I: The Continents

Dos

Comment:
I haven't played this one through yet myself, but it is held in high regard by other players.

Link:
http://dk-software.com/

Title:
Dark Ages II: Engel

Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP (DirectX 7.0 or highter.)

Comment:
I haven't played this one through yet myself, but it is held in high regard by other players. (Hmmm, I'm repeating myself... CTRL-C, CTRL-V Mwa ha ha!)

DA2: Engel's graphics are much better than the ones in DA1.

Link:
http://dk-software.com/

Title:
Diver Down

Both the DOS and Windows versions are available.

Comment:
I haven't finished this one yet, its got some really nice cutscenes. The story takes some interesting turns here and there (So far.) and though graphics aren't the best in the world but there not to bad.

Link:
http://www.grenideer.com/diverdown/

Title:
Mysterious Song

Dos (I'm pretty sure it's dos, runs fine in Win98.)

Comment:
I haven't gotten very far in this one, it's gotten some very good reviews by other players.

Link:
(Direct Download)
http://darkdreams.rpgdx.net/files/msong.zip
(Offical Site's download page... not much there though.)
http://darkdreams.rpgdx.net/downloads.html

(I could only find one screenshot, ones better than nothing eh?)

Title:
THE ELDER SCROLLS: ARENA

Dos

Comments:
The first game in the series that would later include, Daggerfall, Morrowind & Oblivion has been made freeware by Bethesda Softworks as a limited time promotion for Oblivion. You can only download it from their official site though. (So no hosting the file anywhere else, they distribute their game solely from their own site.)

Link:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Yet again, If you have trouble running the Dos games, then try using DOSBox to run it.

I know The Spirit Engine doesn't look like much at first, but it is a really well polished game once it gets going. (Don't pass it over...)

If this doesn't satisfy your Freeware RPG craving, then I may be able to dig up some more titles.

When I dream,
I carry a sword in one hand,
a gun in the other...
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 01:10 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 01:23
I'd say System Shock 1 & 2... but I think they were less of a RPG then they were a FPS. (Unlike, Ultima Underworld 1 & 2)

Outcast comes close to an action RPG (IMO), but you don't gain stats, levels, etc. So I don't think it counts.

Would Jagged Alliance 2 count as an RPG? More of a TBS/RTS... Then again, you gained stats and could define your main character.

Diablo 1 was pretty good. A real blast when played multi-player.
(I played via LAN 2 players, not battle.net. No patches. Very fun.)

Nox was an interesting action RPG, I never got a chance to play the expansion Nox Quest.
(Hey! Apparently Nox Quest is freeware, I was unaware of this until just this moment!) "Bacon bound we go!"

I can’t believe I didn’t mention The Spirit Engine in my initial list of favorite RPGs. That game kept me playing till the end, and then through again with a different character set. Good times.

(Can you tell I'm having fun with the forum's link command this post? )

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 02:50
Quote: ""Bacon bound we go!""

YES! That old guy is the best.

Did Nox Quest just add the Solo Quest option? If so I guess I got some re-release edition or something.

I'm going to eat you!
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Did Nox Quest just add the Solo Quest option?"

Not sure... I haven't played Nox in a while so I'd have to check.
Is your version of Nox V1.2? ('Link' to image of Solo Quest button)

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 05:48
Ahh how could I miss Nox? Fantastic game. Very, very immersive.

Revenant was excellent too.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Revenant's worth my time? Ack, should have picked it up for 5$ when I saw it...

Anyone remember this one? It's an old Tele-Net game:
Tele-Arena
(I know there was some newer versions with graphics, I only played the pure text one.)
I think I used to play as a Druid, never got very far... but it was an interesting game.

(Lol, I once played as the archer class... and kept the stone knife. People thought I was crazy, at first... but when I started hitting them 4 times for every one of their movements due to the archers extreme speed. The laughing stopped. For those who don't know archers can't carry melee weapons save the weapon they spawn with 'Stone Knife', and to my knowledge they can't normally fight with targets that are standing in the same square as the one they are in.)

That... was a long, long, long time ago... well not 'that' long ago...

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 08:20
Quote: "Is your version of Nox V1.2? ('Link' to image of Solo Quest button)"

I think I do have 1.2, and I definitely remember the Solo Quest button. Score!

I'm going to eat you!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 16:01
Quote: " Revenant's worth my time? Ack, should have picked it up for 5$ when I saw it... "

I got it for $12 years ago...one of the best melee fighting systems I've played in an RPG. (Better then Diablo 2 even) and the armor variety was staggering. It was definatly ahead of it's league, though it came out later then the rest.

Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Arx Fatalis (PC) was pretty good, it's not the Ultima Underworld 3 everyone claimed it was. (IMO anyway. Not enough people to talk to, dialog is not option based, not enough to fight, cramped levels... and the list goes on.) But, it came close to the feel of the old classics. Multiple endings was a nice touch.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars! (SNES) That was a great game! The timed hit system made the battles interesting. This game is packed full of brilliance, how could I have forgotten it lol.

Is anyone taking a look at the Freeware RPG links I posted?
(Just curios.)

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 00:36
I will do next week. Got exams at the moment-no time for games. They look interesting, I'll definitely try them.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 00:41
I'd have to say FF8, Gothic (blame mouse, he got me addicted), Dungeon Siege 2, and Chrono Trigger.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 12:29
Ok, I'll bite..

Old School Favorites are Ultima 4, Followed by Lands of Lore, Sundog: The Frozen Legacy and Dungeon Master.

Slightly more recent Favorites are Might & Magic 6 (and 7), Deus Ex, Red Faction and System Shock 1 & 2.

And the ones I play(ed) recently are Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2, Morowind and the most Active one I play now is Anarchy Online.

That's it in a nutshell, one small aditional comment Diablo 1 & 2 are not imho RPG's they are Roguelike Hack'n'slash at best.

Cheers!
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 20:09 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 20:17
Diablo 1 & 2 (PC) manage to squeeze into the genre under action RPG. I agree they're story and character development and play style make them suspect when it comes to labeling them as RPG.

I thought Red Faction (PC) was a pure FPS? (Loved Geo-Mod, the ability to carve holes in walls made things interesting.)

StarTropics (Nes) Kind of Zelda-ish in a way. (The music was excellent!)

Starflight & Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula (PC) I think those to sit on the edge of the RPG genre, there are elements of an RPG in them. But are they RPGs?

It kind of gets difficult to pin it down with cross-genre games.

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 20:13
Dungeun Siege I,Legends Of Arrana.

played it out 7 times,still cant stop!

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...

Join the dark side and be a legend...
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 21:32
Quote: "Dungeun Siege I,Legends Of Arrana"

I could not get into this game, I had to play it out and design levels for it for one of my classes and I though what a bad game.

PS you will likely never find a less stable editor than this one
Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 21:59 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 22:00
Elder scrolls 3:

MORROWIND

or

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 22:00
Kitty meowr!!!

Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 22:02
Fine then,

Happy now megaton?

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 22:23
Just Rawr.

nemo85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 23:45 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 23:49
At the risk of being savaged by all the hardcore RPG fans that have already posted i shall say Shenmue, I know it's not got to may RPG elements but its an awesome Action-RPG, last game i really got hooked on.

The entire Zelda series come to mind too, OOT sprigs to mind, altho Wind Waker didn't float my boat!!! (unlike the one in the game.. lol)

Recently i found KOTOR rewarding as im a big SW geek.

Jade Empire also good if only because it uses the same engine as KOTOR set in a completely different environment.

Fable is another recent favorite.

Never really done the MMORPG thing, as you have to invest to much time to really get ther most out of them.

Oh and if ya can count em, the first two Gauntlet games!!! Ahh my childhood!!! They are RPG's!!! Trust me I SO got into the role. Red Valkryie!!! - "DON'T SHOOT THE FOOD"
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 06:34
Quote: "The entire Zelda series come to mind too, OOT sprigs to mind, altho Wind Waker didn't float my boat!!!"

B-But...OoT and Wind Waker are like reciprocal experiences with Majora's Mask thrown in for seasoning.

Quote: "Never really done the MMORPG thing, as you have to invest to much time to really get ther most out of them."

Guild Wars is your friend.

w00t for Jade Empire.

No me gusta Morrowind.

I'm going to eat you!
Ozzifire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 11:17
City of Heroes, and to a lesser extent City of Villians, I tried WOW, Matrix, Starwars Galaxy, Auto Assault but the teaming in COH & roleplaying of some people is fantastic. I liked WOW but got borred of repetative missions and missions that didn't change for the size of the team, heroes works out your oposition based on team size. Villians is good to get access to bases and some new classes, but otherwise feels like playing heroes wearing black, rescue missions are called kidnappings instead. You can't do anything really evil like robbing other players or killing a leeching team member.
FAllout were fantastic, need another fix.

Brisbane, Australia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:02:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:02:20