Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / The DB Classic Programming Challenge Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2010 02:20
Yep, this is still alive.

Sorry this has taken so long, I've been trying to learn some stuff for work and I had a stag party at the weekend where, among other things, we did ninja star and axe throwing. Which was a cool as it sounds.

Anyway, we have three entries and I think all of them have merit.

Sinani201:
OK, it didn't quite work and it wasn't finished but I feel you're getting close. I liked the layout (you were right about the colours and the font type) and I also liked the way that choosing the character class influenced the character's weapon choices, I thought this was a nice touch that gave the character another layer of depth.

I don't do any text based stuff so this one was really interesting for me.

Lucky 13:
First you get the bonus point because the character could be saved. Again you had a nice clean layout. I like the general approach you took, using arrow keys to do all the selecting. However, it still didn't work quite right as I think you might have missed read the code snippet I posted. You had:

Where it should have been:

The "if upkey() = 0 then up = 0" bit is a line all by itself and does not go after an "else" statement.

I've re-jigged your code and you should see that it works more smoothly and more consistently

Latch:
Very nice looking entry. However, if I set the character endurance to 1 they end up with no hitpoints (same is true for wisdom and magic points) which I'm guessing would mean they would be dead before they started. There was also no character class / profession.

Now comes the tricky bit, I've got to decide who's won.

Winner:

Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome! I never win stuff!

Yes, I re-read your original suggestion and your revised code is definitely smoother than what I'd put in. I foolishly assumed that putting the code after an "else" would garner the same result. Thanks 29 steps.

Next challenge will be up soon.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2010 16:44 Edited at: 28th Jul 2010 16:45
Quote: "I've had a quick read through the rules and didn't catch anything about any requirements for an entry's code to have remarks. I just wondered whether people prefer to have them or not? Cheers."

If you didn't used to use remarks open one of your old programs and see how long it takes you to work out what it does. That will answer your question
I think you can tell more about someone's experience from their remarks than their actual code.

I can't enter any challenges as I'm still without windows
At least I have my calculator for making games on

Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 22:37 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2010 22:38
Quote: "I think you can tell more about someone's experience from their remarks than their actual code."

And what do my remarks tell you about me?

Sorry, guys. Been very busy but I think I have an original challenge for you. Right, here goes.

** NEW CHALLENGE **
Name:
Curling
Main Challenge: Attempt to create a small game based on the sport of Curling.
Main Marking Points: Physics is the big marking point here but anyone who can strike the right balance of simulation and fun will take the prize.

Bonus Challenge: If you find the main challenge too easy, extra marks are up for grabs to - (A) the most attractive looking program and (B) anyone who can take the basic principles and put a spin on it. For example, inserting power-ups into the picture.

Deadline - 22nd of August 2010

Good luck, guys.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
This might be a bit tough for many. It's rare that complete sims/programs/games get any entries in these challenges.

Enjoy your day.
Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I'll tweak it: -

** REVISED CHALLENGE **
Name:
Ice Physics
Main Challenge: Attempt to either accurately simulate or give the illusion of ice physics.
Main Marking Points: Whether it's a hockey puck, a curling stone, a human being, an avatar - it doesn't matter. The person who can impress with their ability to create something that slides across screen, within a rink or similar in a realistic way will get the nod.

Bonus Marks: Anyone who can add any extra fun elements, (possibly a mini-game?), will get bonus points.

Deadline - 22nd of August 2010

Hope this challenge is better and more reasonable.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 00:57 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 00:57
Hmm, does this remind anyone else of the first DBC contest?

I like the challenge though.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
And Congratulations lucky 13!

@Phaelax
I was in diapers back then. Exactly, how OLD are you? Just kidding! - but I think the first actual DBC contest might have been before I even knew about DBC. What was the contest?

Enjoy your day.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 08:11
It was a contest to make a cool-looking clock (you could have just gone to the first page to check what it was). I'm not sure what ice has to do with that. I don't think he meant to post in the DBP challenge thread because the challenge over there is to make a GUI...
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't think he meant the challenges, I thought he meant an actual DBC community contest.

Enjoy your day.
Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers, Latch.

Well, I definitely haven't looked elsewhere for inspiration. If it is similar, it's purely by coincidence. Besides, is anyone thinking about entering?
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
i can prolly whip up a quick entry. shouldn't be too hard

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 03:14
The first contest as I recall was some kind of skiing contest or something. Most entries were about sledding or snow boarding.

Latch, I thought you were close to my age. I still have a few years left before 30 hits me in the face.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Latch, I thought you were close to my age. I still have a few years left before 30 hits me in the face."

I was kidding around. I was looking for the showcase page when you mentioned the contest because that used to have the contest entries posted for the early DBC challenges - but, no showcase page any more...

Enjoy your day.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
No ice sliding entries? I'm behind in a few things but it may be possible to still get something in - eventually...

Enjoy your day.
Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 20:53 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2010 20:56
Oh, no entries...

Is it worth extending the deadline?
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 07:22
My new PC is coming in 3 days. I might be able to cook up something by then, but it might take a while...

Look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now BACK TO MINE.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 19:19
If you extend the deadline a week, I might be able to do something.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the start of an entry. Use the arrows keys to slide the box around.

Enjoy your day.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 15:20
I thought the first challenge was a wacky alarm clock challenge?

Anyway, I might make something too I have a little time this weekend. And don't worry, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks before anything pops up in code snippets here.

TheComet

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Let's have some ice...

This needs a bit of work. No real physics here, just using the built in curvevalue function. Move the blue puck around with the mouse and hit the red puck.

Enjoy your day.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 00:42
That's pretty cool, Latch. Bad pun, I know but it's getting close to my bed time.

I had a go at doing a curling demo. The code's a bit of a mess but here it is anyway.

Happy curling.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 19:33
Sorry to butt in but I just had a good idea for a challenge.

AI Leaper
Make an AI character that can move along a platform and jump over randomly placed gaps. You cannot store the location of the gaps, they must be sensed by the AI.

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 07:43
I really like that idea... I'm in.

Look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now look at mine. Now look at your sig. Now BACK TO MINE.
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
here's the simplest way i could think to do it

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Not bad pictionary jr.

Enjoy your day.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's another attempt at resurrecting the challenges.

How about a 3D demo of some kind?

The goal is to create a 3D scene of any kind. You can use outside media as well. The media doesn't have to be programatically or procedurally generated. You can use sound, music, 3D models, anything.

Keep it short, keep the file size down. The total media cannot exceed 4 megabytes.

The scene can be anything you like. It should not be a game. There should be some kind of camera work. Try and use any effects you can think of: fade in and out, fog, particles, anything.

The scene/demo must be run from DBC code. You cannot render the whole scene in a 3d app such as Blender, 3dsmax, anim8or, etc. and just play a movie.

You can make a demo of a logo where you have 3d text appear on the screen. You could do a scene of a landscape with the camera moving around. You could have the perspective of a plane flying through the clouds. You could have an animal walking around or eating or doing other animal things. Anything your imagination can come up with. It could be a fake cut scene for the next blockbuster game.

Does this seem interesting to anyone?

Enjoy your day.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 00:22
Even the Pro board is having trouble keeping the challenge thread alive.

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 23:19
Yes, the challenges on both boards do seem to have died a little bit.

I'll see if I can come up with something. Probably won't use external media though.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
cool. It'd be interesting if others joined in and came up with some ideas for title screens, or camera drive bys etc.

Enjoy your day.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 02:56
Maybe do something with effects? Make the coolest effect, this can be 2D or 3D, explosions/fire/swirl/smoke/distortion etc...

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 03:47 Edited at: 4th Dec 2010 03:49
Maybe people may not be as interested in the challenges because they don't see themselves exercising it in the near future.

There were a few challenges a while back that really caught my attention because it was something I thought was fun or found useful, something I'll most likely be using now, soon, or in the future. Something like an HP bar that shows Current HP / Max HP and a bar that properly displays the HP amount is an example.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Maybe do something with effects? Make the coolest effect, this can be 2D or 3D, explosions/fire/swirl/smoke/distortion etc."

Sounds good to me!

Quote: "Maybe people may not be as interested in the challenges because they don't see themselves exercising it in the near future."

Is that why you're not interested in the challenges?

Enjoy your day.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is that why you're not interested in the challenges?"

Pretty much, yes. Cant really control my interests, my interests controls me.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Is that why you're not interested in the challenges?"
Pretty much, yes. Cant really control my interests, my interests controls me."

So wouldn't making a cut scene, or a special effect, or using media in a program be things that one would "see themselves exercising ... in the near future" - especially with a programming language geared towards 3d and general game making?

Personally, I really liked the very short and sweet brain teaser/programming skill challenges. Larger programming endeavors are only interesting when there are many participants.

Enjoy your day.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 03:33 Edited at: 5th Dec 2010 03:35
Well I am only speaking for myself personally and I'm sure others do not share the same thoughts is why I said "Maybe". Currently "explosions/fire/swirl/smoke/distortion" isn't really on my list of things to do. It's not that these are not practical, I'm just using a different type of media at the moment.

I have not yet really dived into 3d programing as I'm still learning how to make a simple game work first. After this current project is completed I will finally going to start focusing on 3d, then I'd be more interested in 3d challenges.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well I am only speaking for myself personally and I'm sure others do not share the same thoughts is why I said "Maybe""

I just wondered what you thought since you seem to explore lots of different techniques in graphic programming.

Enjoy your day.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 23:00
I think the challenges may be following a natural path. At the start there were a lot of simple things to do, then people get experienced so the challenges get a bit more involved. These then take more time which puts experienced people off, who at this point may have their own projects on the go, and the new comers are put off because the challenge is too complicated for them.

Anyhow, this is my go at Latch's challenge. It's a cut scene of a figure running (no media required) and jumping an obstacle.

I've never done "camera work" before so for me this was something new.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@29 games

Wow! That's a lot of fun! Really cool demo! I like the sliding under the 18 wheeler. I've gotta try and put something together...

Enjoy your day.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 00:53
Glad you liked it, I was pretty pleased with the slide under the truck.

You should definitely post something.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
I should have something put together in a couple of days.

Enjoy your day.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
I know I'm double posting, but for two reasons:

1. I'm bumping this thread up in the hopes that it doesn't whither away

2. I'm wondering if anyone has a couple of ideas for a winter scene/demo. I've been thinking about a couple of things, not sure how they'd come off. But I have a little time right now to maybe try and pull off the current 3d challenge so 29 games posting isn't all alone

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 13:06 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 14:43
I almost have my computer sorted out.
I'll be entering as soon as DB works!

[edit]
I got it working!(minus sound)
I'm away for the weekend but I'll be planning...

Everything worthwhile requires effort.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally have an idea to try for the 3d challenge. Now I have to turn the idea into code... Yikes!

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 11:57
Wow 29 games, that's impressive!
Lot's of stuff for me to learn from in your code.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 21:19
How about a challenge that has to use a snowman in the most creative/fun way?

TheComet

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 19:50
Quote: "Now I have to turn the idea into code... Yikes"

Yep, that's the difficult bit

@Obese, glad you liked my demo.

I've found the most fun way to use snowmen is to build them in front of someone's front door, ring the bell and then run away.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 20:31
I've been struggling to think of anything to make and I wont be able to enter now because of real world problems , It's okay though I'll still be on the forums and back to hopefully, finally entering this challenge again next month.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. I finished something a couple weeks ago. Everything in it is done by code. There is no external media at all. The sound is done by creating a wave file header, writing it to disk, then writing bytes for the sound data and loading it all back in as a sound. I originally did this through memblocks but there are a lot of bugs with making sounds from memblocks and making memblocks from sounds. There's much better control by writing the info to disk and then loading it back as a sound.

The 3d models were done through memblocks and also by using DBC's built in primatives and adding pieces as limbs.

I'm most pleased with the textures. I managed some bump mapping by using an embossing algorithm. And with a little ghosting and layering, I got a nice weathered look to the wood.

I'm posting it as an exe... a demo. There is a monologue that tells the story of what's happening as the demo plays. The last line is "Why Won't this Dream end?" so let it run at least until you see that line. After which, press the 'C' key to toggle between manual and automatic camera control. You can then move the camera around using the mouse and the arrow keys.

Press F key to toggle screen FPS display. The demo is designed to run at 800x600x32 resolution at 60 FPS.

You will have the option to select your own resolution though the bit depth is limited to 32. The higher the resolution, the more the textures "pop". But, the slower the demo may run.

HEADPHONE WARNING:
If your volume is up too high, the sound can be a little load so be careful if you use head phones.

It takes a little time to setup the sounds and the graphics so there are a couple of black screen pauses while this stuff is being done. So if you are at a black screen, just sit tight, something should eventually happen. But if it doesn't happen in less than 2 or 3 minutes, something could be wrong.

Be aware, sound files are written to your hard drive and then deleted. The files are saved with the name "snd_noise.wav" so if you have any real files with that name that you want to keep in the same directory that you run the demo from, then either put the demo somewhere else, or move the files you want to keep so they don't get overwritten and/or deleted.

Demo attached

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 23:42
That's very impressive. It had a good atmosphere. I really liked the ship model, the textures were really good.

Does the dream have an ending? I didn't know how long to watch it for.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:15:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:15:37