Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FREE Windows GUI DLL for DarkBASIC Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 19:44
I hate to bump old topics but, are you still working on this?

Reason im asking is because since I switched to vista (and now Windows 7) BlueGUI has become really buggy. All of what you've done with this plugin so far works fine on vista/windows 7 by the way.

I can't complete WORLD V2 without a windows GUI. I've thought about buying PurePlugin and coding a GUI plugin in PureBasic but, you already have half of the stuff I need right here.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 21:11
Hullo all.

DOCUMENTATION: Coming...
WORK IN PROGRESS: Yes

Listen, I haven't had much time to program THIS plugin lately, but I'll make time for it today. With all the knowledge I have learned from writing this plugin (A treasure to me, personally) I wouldn't let it die without first becoming completed. I am going to rewrite it though - unfortunately I lost the source code, and binaries to it. I will start today, as SOON as I return to my computer.

@DBKing
Any special features you may like to request? I like your WORLD project, so I wish to be of help to you in terms of this plugin. Send me an email, or contact me via MSN if you wish to have a better discussion in terms of your project and my GUI.

Cheers,

-naota

I'm not a dictator to those that do stuff for me by will. Only those who don't.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 02:56 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 02:57
Quote: "Any special features you may like to request? I like your WORLD project, so I wish to be of help to you in terms of this plugin. Send me an email, or contact me via MSN if you wish to have a better discussion in terms of your project and my GUI."

To be honest, all I really need is everything you had listed in the first post, a list view gadget, open/save dialogs and a folder selection dialog.

Nice, work on what you've done so far on this by the way.

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 07:03
I'm writing on behalf of Aaron as he has no Internet and we're communicating over the phone. He has a 100% working version ready with some support for OpenGL and all he has to do now is add support for some controls and dialogs.

Gadgets support reference counting - UICaptureGadget UIReleaseGadget
Movable gadgets - example: .NET Frame Editor (NOTE: This is just an example to explain the meaning of movable gadgets)
Support for menus in windows and popup menus
Support for event processing

He'll explain more later and has a demo ready.

He hasn't written an .ini file nor any documentation yet, but the source file in the example is well explained.

"I've hijacked the DBP window and made it my bitch." -Aaron

-Jim

Meh... The Speed doesn't make Comcast good...
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 12:35
Quote: "
"I've hijacked the DBP window and made it my bitch." -Aaron"

I'm willing to see this complete.

Quote: "
Listen, I haven't had much time to program THIS plugin lately, but I'll make time for it today. With all the knowledge I have learned from writing this plugin (A treasure to me, personally) I wouldn't let it die without first becoming completed. I am going to rewrite it though - unfortunately I lost the source code, and binaries to it. I will start today, as SOON as I return to my computer."

one year and a half of development, ho well...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 02:02
Okay, here's a demo.

Cheers,

-naota

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work Aaron, really top notch stuff right there!

in Austrlia, there is a really red sun, u got a red sun in sky too?
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 14:27
Hi,
good work .

1) Are you making twilight gui compatible with blue gui?.

2) Can you put a DBRPO window inside another window with TW?

3) Do you plan to have another features different from the first post?

4) DO you have an end date?
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 20:36
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 18:48
Thats looking really sweet Aaron. Nice work so far.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 01:33
Quote: "1) Are you making twilight gui compatible with blue gui?.

2) Can you put a DBRPO window inside another window with TW?

3) Do you plan to have another features different from the first post?

4) DO you have an end date?"

1) No, sorry. I dislike BlueGUI.
2) Yes. I'll make a demonstration of this later.
3) I plan on having quite a few features, so yes.
4) When is software ever 100% complete? Next release date is maybe within a week from now, if all goes according to plan.

Quote: "Can you make a DarkGDK version?"

I managed to download DarkGDK, but not MSVC++ 2008. DarkGDK doesn't seem to want to work with MSVC++ 6.0... I actually wanted to work on this with DarkGDK (Makes debugging a whole hell of a lot easier), unfortunately I was unable to do that. I can certainly make a DarkGDK version as soon as I'm able to get DarkGDK working though.

@DBKing
Thanks.

Cheers,

-naota

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 14:09
Quote: "I can certainly make a DarkGDK version as soon as I'm able to get DarkGDK working though. "

Thanks look forward to it

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
hate to be picky but would you consider making a GUI editor? i find it tedious hard coding a gui. Java NetBeans is a perfect example of this. Rainbow GUI editor or whatever it is called is not very reliable or stable. im running vista and using BlueGUI and right now BlueGUI seems like it might give me a hard time with vista....i heard your plugin works fine on vista so im all for it.

If at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 00:32
I do plan on a GUI editor. Someone (a while back) said they would make one, but I didn't here anything of this again. I've already made support to allow dragging of gadgets with the mouse (which is a property all GUI editors share). I need someone with Windows Vista, or Windows 7 to run the example posted above, and click inside the window -- dragging the window around. I need to know if there are any problems with this, and if so, what they are specifically. (I've enabled the gadget dragging feature in the examples above).

NOTE: I made some progress on documentation, implemented some controls, and ran into one hell of a memory error. This is the exact reason I want to get DarkGDK working, but haven't been able to do so. If I could get DarkGDK working, then I could find out EXACTLY where the memory error is occuring, and see the state of all variables in my program because I would be able to actually debug my GUI. Why TGC decided "it depends on the IDE" is beyond me... But they did decide it, and I'm immensely p***ed at them for it. Making it compatible with pretty much any IDE would be the EASIEST part of development - even easier than writing that "dbAbs" function. I just don't see the point in restricting to a specific IDE. (sigh) Sorry for that offtopic rant. I'm trying to get it working.

Cheers,

-naota

Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
i played with it on vista and seems to work just fine. i do have vista 64 bit and is up to date (at least from what i know it is). both windows click and drag fine from within the window. one thing i noticed is that if you scale the main window, it scales the text... not sure if you intended this or not but it would be cool/nice if the text size remained the same after changing the size of the window.

If at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 02:22
Quote: "it scales the text... not sure if you intended this or not but it would be cool/nice if the text size remained the same after changing the size of the window."

That's DBP, not me. Maybe I can add a feature to resize the screen (dbSetDisplayMode from the DBPPluginSDK I made) each time the window is resized. Would make it look nicer.

Cheers,

-naota

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 10:23
Any news on this plugin?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 21:50
Debugging is difficult. :/

Quite simply, I've been trying to figure out a seemingly simple problem. The plugin crashes when you exit the program IF a window has a control in it (such as a button). It makes no sense! I really need to see where it's crashing at, or else I won't be able to do anything useful. I think I'll have to copy over the plugin classes to a simple Win32 program just so I can debug it. :/

If anyone wishes to contribute to the plugin, btw, email me at n.o.c.a.n.n.e.d.m.e.a.t.-at-.g.m.a.i.l.-dot-.c.o.m <remove '.' symbols, replace '-dot-' with '.', and '-at-' with '@'>

Cheers,

-naota

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 22:44
Quote: "If anyone wishes to contribute to the plugin, btw, email me at n.o.c.a.n.n.e.d.m.e.a.t.-at-.g.m.a.i.l.-dot-.c.o.m <remove '.' symbols, replace '-dot-' with '.', and '-at-' with '@'>"

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 11:25
Quote: "If anyone wishes to contribute to the plugin, btw, email me at n.o.c.a.n.n.e.d.m.e.a.t.-at-.g.m.a.i.l.-dot-.c.o.m <remove '.' symbols, replace '-dot-' with '.', and '-at-' with '@'>"

I think that was to stop bots collecting his email address.
It's on his email button anyway.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 03:45
That's correct DBKing... It was also to annoy people too though <jk>

Cheers,

-naota

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 20:04
You can still debug DBPro plugins as easily as normal projects, just attach the debugger to the DBPro exe, and it automatically finds that there is an instance of your dll loaded...

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 20:09
it won't download, says it can't be found

Your mod has been erased by the signature
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 06:29
Is there a dbc version of this dll or can it be used with dbc????

i just learned that plugins were just dlls so i'v been exploring the forums and looking at "plugins" i got a couple to work but i'm not sure about this one :/ and it looks veryy helpful
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 18:34
Any news/progress on the new version of this?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 20:27
Yes. The directory browser is working. I even found a way to get it to start with a directory you select.

I'm currently a *tiny* bit busy trying to get a commercial product to work. I just fixed a very stupid bug (I mean stupid because it's due to the stupid way MS handles their APIs -- It was a simple 'ReadFile' error). Anyways, it's nearing completion.. All I have to do is implement compression, encryption, and the actual packing and it'll be done. I'll be able to focus better on TwilightGUI then.

Cheers,

-naota

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 07:30
Looks great. Most people have to depend on Visual Basic to make GUI applications and this will provide an alternative. I have to in the near future make a custom world editor for a game I am making and be editing data associated with locations. A GUI interface is something this would need.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Aaron Miller, can you release an updated version with a working way to get what list box item is selected? And can you add a SetListBoxSelection command?

I really hope you can update your plugin soon!

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 22:51 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 23:23
Figured out how to use it in dbc lol

Whats Twilight GUI?

New Site! Check it out \/
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 04:45
Quote: "What's Twilight GUI"

This.

Quote: "Figured out how to use it in dbc"

That's almost insulting (though you didn't mean in that way, I'm sure). Yes, btw. It's easy.

@Jimpo
All of the features you requested work already...

@Petey MS
Thank you.

@Everyone
This particular project is dead. I'll have more information about my GUI later for you guys. The GUI project in general isn't dead, just this particular project. It'll still be free.

Cheers,

-naota

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 04:55 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 04:56
Quote: "Quote: "Figured out how to use it in dbc"
That's almost insulting (though you didn't mean in that way, I'm sure). Yes, btw. It's easy."

why? lol

and the reason i couldn't was cuz i didn't know all the commands lol

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "All of the features you requested work already..."

Yeah, but can you upload the latest version of the dll? The most recent download in this thread doesn't have a SetListBoxSelection command and the commands twGetListBoxSelectedItem and twGetListBoxItemSelected don't return what they should.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 00:56
Quote: "This particular project is dead. I'll have more information about my GUI later for you guys. The GUI project in general isn't dead, just this particular project. It'll still be free."

Hi Aaron.
Are you going to release the source code?, or are you planing to incorporate this into a bigger project to sell?
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 07:13
@Caleb1994
It's only "almost insulting" because its just creating a DLL. Making a DLL isn't hard at all...

@Jimpo
I can't for the reason below.

@Alfa X
Nope. No.

@Everyone
I'm making a FREE project still. I'm changing the name basically, and I'm making it faster. This project is dead, if you have questions about the new project, ask in this thread, but I'm not going to reveal too much. Beta tester positions are open if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

-naota

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone have the lastest version? All the links are broken.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 07:53
How do i return the selected menu item?

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 17:07
Aaron, I was hoping you could tell me how you get the messages sent by the toolbar. I currently making my own dll(for practice) and I have all the functions for making the menu, sub menus, and applying them, but I'm not sure how to check if their clicked?

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 17:15
they send a wm_command message. the loword of the lparam is the menu/item that was selected.

Italy Portugal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 02:16
Quote: "I'm making a FREE project still. I'm changing the name basically, and I'm making it faster. This project is dead, if you have questions about the new project, ask in this thread, but I'm not going to reveal too much. Beta tester positions are open if anyone is interested.
"

Uh-Oh

Aaron, are you rewriting this project, or is it a truly new project, or is it some weird combination of the two?

God never dies, God is, that is enough.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 03:54
I'm making a new GUI DLL that's designed completely different.

Cheers,

-naota

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 17:50
Quote: "Making a DLL isn't hard at all"

I see what you mean now. i have been doing c++ for a little while and i have realized how easy it is. haha

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 18:52
Any progress on the new DLL?
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2009 13:15
bump

cmon really excited here ^_^

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 01:13 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 00:43
Financially speaking, it is not practical for me to continue development on this project with no form of pay. I have several debts I am currently taking care of, and am working on several commercial projects for some companies. Getting support for a Windows GUI is not a very difficult thing at all, and I apologize for an excessive lack in development on this. I do not currently have DBPro installed and so cannot test the project.

If there is anyone out there who uses Google Talk (free) or Pidgin with a Google Talk (GMAIL) account (also free) then I can teach them how to program with Windows applications in my own time, and show them how to develop such a GUI. If no one is capable of this, then the GUI plugin will be further delayed until development for it becomes practical again (Either through pay, or through a lack of need for pay.)

If there are enough supporters, I can set up a way for donations to take place via PayPal so that development on this product may continue. While I do favor open source and free software to commercial software (usually), it is impractical and demanding to develop and maintain such software actively. I will not make this a project which you have to pay for. I do not believe that spending however much money you have spent for software that doesn't work in any way that can be considered efficient or (by a certain degree) useful, that you should have to pay for a feature set that is not included that should be.

I hope that all of you manage to develop the projects you have always wanted to develop to a full degree of features and efficiency. Especially with all the tools you need to do so. I apologize for implying that you require a free GUI plugin for an inefficient language to do so. I hope that you can continue with your software as you had planned, and maybe even with better planning.

Cheers,
-naota

HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 18:46
Okay, i can't pay sorry, I'm to young, however i am happy to do what i can - Test stuff, and I'm happy to host you a site, for free.

with no limitations (unless it gets ZOMG LARGE) and if you still own the domain, you can point it there no problem and I'll host it.

There's not exactly much else i can do, but feel free to ask if there is. if you want to take me up on this - it'd be my pleasure if you did, my MSN is:

alec[dot]teal(at)googlemail<dot>com

I do hope this re inspires you, please read and get back to me

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
I only have one issue that's stopped me from writing a DLL... interfacing with the window. I can write ones that return variables, that's easy, but how do I go about getting a DLL to put a text edit box into a DBP window?

All these plugins interface directly with the objects in DBPro and I have no idea how to do that either. It'd be nice to write a DLL that handles my own object movement commands, but I've never figured out the documentation for that.

Those are two semi unrelated things, but both have had me stumped for a while. I have purebasic, and I know a lot of plugins are done in that language, and I have written DLL's, just nothing like a GUI or internal function manipulator like Robert Knight's or the PureGDK thing

Signed
------
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 00:40 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 00:43
@HavokDelta6
http://www.aexuni.com/
Thanks anyways though.

@feiting shadow
I'm not sure of the significance of your post.

Cheers,
-naota

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 02:02
The music on your website hurt my ears.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 02:03
It's horrible.

HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 02:12
@Aron, want me to design you a site, at least, i need to encourage you to do something. and i can do websites

also please update the package the first download link is a site attack and full of horrid links winch are evil.

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:12:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:12:40