Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FREE Windows GUI DLL for DarkBASIC Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 03:30
lol, That was fast. Thanks

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 03:36
No problem.

"I'd newbie slap here, but I've no idea how far I'd need slap before they'd come back with a clue." - VanB
Aex.Uni forums
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Aaron im pretty sure that this would be usfully for my new prodject. But i cant find a earlyer version of it and i need VC++ for the ;ater one wich i have but does evrey body that downlaods my app need VC++?.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 06:54
No, the end user won't need VC++.

I actually got a lot done on WinGUI today. More to come soon.

Cheers,

-naota

Madness never stops..... It takes a breather every once in a while, but then it grabs it's inhaler and chases you down the street with a cane.
Aex.Uni forums
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to hear its not dead.
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Is terhe any help files coming?. I can find out how to use some of the stuff and nothing seems to work for me.

My code is:

Rem StartUp
startWin32

set window on
SET WINDOW SIZE 300,100

hWnd=gui_makeWindow(640,480,"Main Window",dbpHwnd())
gui_positionWindow hWnd,2,2
gui_resizeWindow hWnd,800,600
gui_setWindowText hWnd,"Window's New Text"
hButton = gui_makeButton("OK",5,22,75,25,hGroup)

wait key

But the button i made dosent show up in any window.

Also what are thoasw things called what go like: [File][Edit][View][Tools] and so on
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 07:28
Instead of hGroup, use hWnd, the name of the window you made.

Cheers,

-naota

Madness never stops..... It takes a breather every once in a while, but then it grabs it's inhaler and chases you down the street with a cane.
Aex.Uni forums
dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah thanks mate. I was thinking that i could only use the Wingui stuff in a window i hade created with WinGui.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 23:44
Aaron - I noticed a few things when working with the most recent version of WinGUI.

1) You modified gui_addSubMenu to gui_addMenu in the dll call, but the most recent source release still uses gui_addSubMenu (I just had to change all of the gui_addSubMenu references to gui_addMenu).

2) Get Window Width command conflicts with IanM's Matrix Utility Get Window Width command found in Matrix1Util_13.dll. Have any suggestions for this aside from removing the del from the plugins-user folder during compile time?

3) I noticed that when using 'gui_getEvent' that it functions very similar to BlueGUI's in the sense that it seems to grab whatever event is currently happening, but misses any events that may have happened since the last check (events which happen fast enough to happen between frame syncs), and this is my biggest complaint about BlueGUI. I have some thoughts on this matter. I was thinking that you could have your GUI code capture and store each of the events in a stack (GUI side) and when you call gui_getEvent (dbp side) that it grabs the event stack which has happened since the last gui_getEvent. Formulating the code this way may be a bit of work, but it is currently something which is halting production on a few of my projects where framerates drop below 60 fps, in so doing many of the events (such as mouseclicks) happen so quickly that the GUI misses them all together.

This is looking magnificent, I can really appreciate how much effort you have put into this thus far.

I also noticed one more thing... I noticed that it captures some events from hwnds which were not created by WinGUI, ie other windows such as firefox, msn etc. It would recognize when I clicked on certain things or when I moved the window around etc. It doesn't seem to recognize all the children gadgets of another window, but I was wondering if you could send messages to these other hwnds? I am more or less thinking out loud

Very cool stuff though.

Support the indie!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 05:48
1) I'm confused, can you please elaborate more?

2) I don't believe there's a Get Window Width command. I believe it's gui_getWindowWidth

3) Yes. This isn't a bug, but I can make it more efficient for you.

Also, you can send messages to other windows indeed. You can also find external windows outside your program.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 19:33 Edited at: 12th Dec 2007 19:40
Aaron lives!

hehe
ok, so here we go:
1) in 0_win32_test_1.dba (WinGUI_10_20_07) you have 'gui_addSubMenu' but the dll expects 'gui_addMenu'.

2) Do you have IanM's matrix utils installed? If so, you might notice that it conflicts with a command in his matrix13.dll (or something like that).

3) Yeah, I know it isn't a bug it is just a method of sending the data. If you did this, it would be totally amazing! It would make several people very happy (even if they do not know it yet!)

Edit:
Yours is gui_getWindowWidth as you stated, but the compiler keeps complaining about it. odd...

Support the indie!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 07:07
@Alquerian
1) Yeah, I haven't updated that code since like, 10 releases ago, lol.

2) I don't use DBP much any more, in fact most of the coding and WinGUI testing I've been doing is in C++ and just the WinGUI SDK. I've been battling a bug that's pissing me off about WinGUI though (When I get that sorted I should be able to finish it in a few days). The bug is the application will continue to stay in memory long after it's been closed. After looking futher, I'm noticing that the list that the gadget resides in gets jumbled for some reason, and only the first item gets properly removed.... SO, that means "Happy Debugging For Me". In short, no I don't have IanM's matrix utils installed.

3) haha, okay. Well, I'll make sure to do that. I'm one of the few developers who takes to heart what people have to say.... And when I take it to heart, I strap it on and take it with me like Lee Bamber takes Bugs. just kidding, I don't take it to heart...

Anywho, I'll get to doing that AS SOON as I finish my job. Currently I have no computer but was able to get my boss to get me my source files and luckily had the Digital Mars C++ compiler on a USB, so I'm making all my source and compiling from USB, my main computer has the newest WinGUI source though. Would be wiser to keep it on USB though.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 22:20
Hello, Aaron Miller. I was wondering if you have a new version of WinGUI out. In the other versions, you can't control what happens when a menu item is clicked, and I am looking forward to that being fixed. Thanks a lot!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 00:39
@luke escude
Funny you should mention that, I was actually just about to say I fixed a MAJOR bug in WinGui today! <Very happy> So the production of WinGUI should be MUCH faster, and be out soon. Perhaps even by the end of the week!

VIRTUAL BEER FOR US ALL!

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 01:00
Ok, fantasic! I kept trying to figure out how to manage events caused bu clicking on the menu items on the MAIN DBP WINDOW. I gave up, and thought it just didn't work.

Glad to hear you fixed it!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 20:06
I really want to use this, because blueGUI annoys me but there are a number of things which are holding me back:

Creating a treeview crashes the program
No list box
No way to set the text colour
Setting the window colour only works on a few types of window
No panel
No docking (left/right/top/bottom/fill)

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 23:39
@Digsey
Why does BlueGUI annoy you? I am thinking about getting it, but
I would like some input
@Aaron Miller
Since you fixed a bug, would you mind posting up a new version?
Just a suggestion, but if you are on a role, don't let me stop
you!

- Luke Escude
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 00:36
@luke escude
I didn't fix it in the version that's out currently. BUT, it'll be fixed soon enough, as the fix is part of the new revision of WinGui itself.

@Diggsey
Quote: "Creating a treeview crashes the program"

I noted that.

Quote: "No list box"

Yes there is. Do you mean list view?

Quote: "No way to set the text colour"

Planned.

Quote: "Setting the window colour only works on a few types of window"

Fixed in latest revision.

Quote: "No panel"

There should be, if not then it's in the latest revision.

Quote: "No docking (left/right/top/bottom/fill)"

That's really easy to do... But hell, if it helps I could just add the support in.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 23:19
This is all fantastic news, and....

Thanks for the beer!!
(And hidden cocktail! )

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 00:40
heh heh, glad ya like it.

Wasn't able to get much work done yesterday though, I almost had to go to the emergency room... :/

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 08:35
@ Aaron Miller (DBUSer jeje):

How are you?, long time no posting.

I'm planning to use wingui in most of my future projects, and im very grateful that you are working on this.

Now that production of WInGUI is much faster i think there is a step ahead in the development of WINGUI. I think we will have a complete tool for developing windows applications any momment. Thanks
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 10:43 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 10:46
@luke escude
It's not that it's bad, I would still advise getting it, it's just a few annoyances, such as having to activate it in code every time, so every time you use it, you have to look up what your ID and password was. Also, there are a number of commands which don't work the same way that it says in the help files. (setgadgetcolor seems to only work on panels!) I wouldn't mind all this, except for the fact that you have to pay for it, and you still get these issues!

@Aaron
Techinically, what you call listboxes are actuall just another type of combobox A listbox is just the list of strings that you can pick from, not the textbox as well. A listview would be nice as well Also, a way to set the cursor for a gadget would be great

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2007 02:47
A question about Combo Boxes: How do you add items?
gui_makeComboBox(...) and then what? It is just empty.

- Luke Escude
luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 17:41 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 21:00
Hey, I am making a 3D World Editor, and I want some input. Obviously, the GUI is WinGUI. This app has a lot of features, from creating different primitives to exploring and exporting your world. Take a look, and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

link: http://www.lujogames.com/luke/worldmaker.html

Oh, and It is a DarkBASIC installer exe, so you need to download it to your desktop then execute it.

- Luke Escude
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 00:07
@luke escude
gui_insertString or gui_insertItem or whatever I named it. To be honest I've been working on this revision so much I've forgotten the name!

I cannot tell you what I think of your world maker at the moment, but I can tell you good job, and the best of luck to you. I haven't enough space on the USB I brought to download it, so I can't use it.

@everybody
Here's the changes log SO FAR. And a demo of what I've done:

Demo is attached as a downloadable.

Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 00:23 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 00:24
Here's a screenshot. (WinGui_Screenshot_0000.png)

Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 01:41 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 01:45
If you have a release out, DLL and Keywords file, then could we get a link on it?

3D World Maker: [href]www.lujogames.com/luke/worldmaker.html[/href]
Made by ME!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 22:09
@luke escude
There's no release out... I'm showing the progress I've made.

@everyone
Check it out! I only have THREE GADGETS LEFT TO MAKE! And then WinGui will be released (v0.9)! Screenshot attached!

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 23:57
I have a quick question about this. I don't know if you said this, but do the gadgets change with your Windows theme, like BlueGui?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:50
They do.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:48
GOOD NEWS
There's an update out. I've attached it to this post.

C++

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums

Attachments

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 12:22 Edited at: 29th Dec 2007 12:25
What about Mdi Client windows

edit:
In case you'd like to know, it's class name is 'MDIClient'

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 14:20
Hi,
Excellent work.
Did you finish the three gadgets left?
do you have the code of the demo?.

Thank you very much!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 22:14
@Diggsey
MDI clients can be made simply by allowing a window to hold the WS_CHILD style and coloring the background of a window. It's something I plan to add, and won't be difficult to, next release. Also, AGCS shows that it's already possible to use an MDI in previous versions of WinGui.

@Alfa X
Thanks.
That'd be why the 0.9 release is out.
Yes, but I left it on another USB stick, the following code should be simple enough.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 02:06
Great job, Aaron Miller! It's great to see you've still got it goin' on!

Made by ME!
Wonder Cody
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work!
luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 22:18
Aaron Miller, I have a suggestion. Your GUI is almost as good as BlueGUI. You need one more thing:
A texture browser.
If you can, try to create a command that opens up a window, and displays all of the textures in the specified directory.
Also, how do you make the commands in DB(pro) talk to the DLL? In other words, could I see one of your c++ functions? (like the one that goes with "gui_makeComboBox()")

Made by ME!
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 03:06
hi Aaron,
There is only one thing i'm halting to use Wingui in my projects and is event detection. For me is very important that none event gets missed because this affects directly the end product and makes the user feel strange and annoyed when using any GUI.

Is there any way to ensure all events detection?. Alquerian post something, but something more than 60 fps limit might be needed:

I know you talked about making it more efficient, but there isn't a way to do this independent?, like making a separate theread solely for event detection?.

Alquerian:

Quote: "3) I noticed that when using 'gui_getEvent' that it functions very similar to BlueGUI's in the sense that it seems to grab whatever event is currently happening, but misses any events that may have happened since the last check (events which happen fast enough to happen between frame syncs), and this is my biggest complaint about BlueGUI. I have some thoughts on this matter. I was thinking that you could have your GUI code capture and store each of the events in a stack (GUI side) and when you call gui_getEvent (dbp side) that it grabs the event stack which has happened since the last gui_getEvent. Formulating the code this way may be a bit of work, but it is currently something which is halting production on a few of my projects where framerates drop below 60 fps, in so doing many of the events (such as mouseclicks) happen so quickly that the GUI misses them all together."

i don't plan to make my comments offensive, I want to be constructive.
Thanks for this great Dll.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 23:24 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 23:32
@Alfa X
Actually I talked to Cash Curtis II about this a while ago, and my solution was actually making a seperate thread, and implementing a stack. All events should now be detected in WinGui (However no extra thread has been added yet, and won't be until someone finds any events actually are missed). As long as you call "twSync" before "dbSync" or "sync" then you'll get all the events. And as a backup plan, you can use callbacks as well. Which is the ability to call a function when a certain event occurs.

Edit
Demo of WinGui, released here.

Cheers,

-naota

With any luck you'll be able to turn a fully functioning program to a crashing program with just a little bit of coding.
Aex.Uni forums
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
How is coming along the GDK suport ?
(And by that i mean to have gui controls on the GDK Window)
cheers
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 00:04
Coming along fine. I'm *slightly* putting WinGui on break to work more on the other parts of the Twilight Engine. I need to get something out for the beta testers to test soon.

Cheers,

-naota

With any luck you'll be able to turn a fully functioning program to a crashing program with just a little bit of coding.
Aex.Uni forums
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
ok , if you need any help testing it for GDK , just let me know.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 20:58
Thanks.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 19:38
A question for Aaron M. or anybody that might know the answer: How to make a window in which you can have little images that can be selected with the mouse - something like windows for selecting entities and segments in fps creator. Is that some special kind of window or what? And those images, are they also windows or are they created in some other way? I'm not asking how to do that using wingui but c++ in general. Thanks in advance.

God is real unless declared integer.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 19:34
Those are called "list view" windows. Those aren't yet implemented, I'm sorry to say. But are on their way.

Meanwhile, you can use listboxes for displaying just the text for now.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 19:48
Are you sure that you can have images in .bmp format in list view. I know you can have small and large icons, but bitmaps ...?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 20:47
Brendy Boy, I'm not sure what you mean. .BMP images should work fine for the list view, if they don't by default, I already have a .BMP loader I made a while ago that'll work fine for loading and converting to an icon.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 17:09
Yes, it works with .bmp images when the are converted to icons. I wasn't aware of that posibility.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 17:48 Edited at: 14th Jan 2008 17:49
Lol, I'm quite new to C++ programming and I recently learned how to do windows programming. I'm learning a great deal from your DLL.

I was also quite puzzled how you would handle the menu event detection, since they can only be detected by using the window procedure (which I didn't found at first lol). I never would have thought of using a global variable ...

I just wanted to say thanks for the C++ source ^^.

One more thing though, will you add support for themes? Something like the enableXPtheme in BlueGUI, but possibly with support for vista (It doesn't seem to work with me).

Ofcourse, after you add your final 3 gadgets

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 20:48
@Sven B
Those 3 gadgets were added on. The Twilight Engine beta testers have the latest version of WinGui to play around with, which contains OOP support, and the ability to use the themes (correctly).

Glad you were able to learn from it. The old C++ source is pretty crappy though compared to the one I'm working on now, which is unfortunately, closed-source (However it remains free).

If you need any help programming in Windows, or whatever feel free to add me to MSN and I'll (usually) be happy to answer your questions.

Cheers,

-naota

Aex.Uni forums

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:15:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:15:53