Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 15:21
You inspired me GIL! And i want to thank you.. Time to start Rewriting parts of Flare Engine as now i know when something isnt working.. ITS NOT VISUALS! Its my game logic.. I programmed something wrong.. I must keep it simple.. Rewrite it!

Thank you. Now i got my motivation back up! And if you fail on this project be sure aware that i will come knock at your door and get your butt back to programmin

Thanks, and Cheers!
~Roxas

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 22:51 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 22:54
Quote: "How about a timed demo with a few quests, so the demo isn't really "do whatever you want" type of thing, just a few quests."

Hmm...that might be too restricted for what I'm thinking of.

Quote: "I think one or two quests - not to easy - not to hard - with limited "walk about" - make those quests doable in the "starter town" and maybe a few fights outside - but again - not let them go too far.. save the other stuff for the pay game. But I would make a theatrical "finish" for the first or second quest - whatever you allow - to entice them to continue one. Try to get them feeling like they are making progress - and let them get the joys of completing a few things - to help entice them to want to continue on. Add screen shots of where their next quest will take them etc."

Yeah, good idea about making the player want to continue somehow.

or what you mentioned id pay $20, throw in some epic landmass to explore and ill make it $30

Quote: "I think that is a good idea with the limited places etc.
To be honest I would buy this game for £15/$30 definatly."

Heh, thanks, but I probably wouldn't sell for more than $15 (if I decide to sell at all).

Quote: "You inspired me GIL! And i want to thank you.. Time to start Rewriting parts of Flare Engine as now i know when something isnt working.. ITS NOT VISUALS! Its my game logic.. I programmed something wrong.. I must keep it simple.. Rewrite it!"

Lol, glad I could inspire you to make it even better, looks great already .
Quote: "Thank you. Now i got my motivation back up! And if you fail on this project be sure aware that i will come knock at your door and get your butt back to programmin
"

Lol, don't worry, I'll never quit working on PoPR until it's done (or I die ).

Here is the next building retexture (if you want me to stop showing you, just let me know ).
Original:

Retexture:

Umbra
Years of Service
User Offline
Good idea, i did forget to add the door frame didnt I?
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Geez, when you mentioned Umbra I was googling for like an hour to see what you meant.....

Just one Q, why is the building on a large stone foundation?

Quote: "(or I die )"

Better not..

Umbra
Years of Service
User Offline
ask gil, i believe these are part of a port city and require such a foundation. if you have houses on the edge of town near the beack dropoff then youll want it to be elevated to stay level with you part of town, otherwise it would be a pain to buil a whole road or dock or stairs to get to a building. but thats just my guess
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 02:50 Edited at: 8th Apr 2008 02:51
Quote: "Good idea, i did forget to add the door frame didnt I?"

Yeah, rest is basically the same though, I just took the windowsill things out .

Quote: "Geez, when you mentioned Umbra I was googling for like an hour to see what you meant..... "

Lol, sorry, should have clarified .

Quote: "Just one Q, why is the building on a large stone foundation? "

It's so in case the building is on a hill or slope it still has support with something below it, all the buildings have that, otherwise if it's on flat ground, you won't see it anyways .
Quote: "
Quote: "(or I die )"

Better not.."

Lol, I hope not .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Gil:
Quote: "It's so in case the building is on a hill or slope it still has support with something below it, all the buildings have that, otherwise if it's on flat ground, you won't see it anyways ."
I believe Oblivion and Morrowind do this aswell.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Heh, thanks, but I probably wouldn't sell for more than $15 (if I decide to sell at all)."

Awesome. Thats even better. I save money!

Was Cool Kid
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Heh, thanks, but I probably wouldn't sell for more than $15 (if I decide to sell at all)."

Well if you keep up with the retextures Gil I would want to pay £40($80) for it. Yes I'm very generous.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 16:07
Wow - I've been lurking around this thread, watching this game progress and I must say, this is really starting to take shape!

The building retextures are absolutely fantastic, btw

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 16:21
Quote: "@Gil:
Quote: "It's so in case the building is on a hill or slope it still has support with something below it, all the buildings have that, otherwise if it's on flat ground, you won't see it anyways ."
I believe Oblivion and Morrowind do this aswell."

Yeah, I think they do. I've actually based quite a bit of my world editor on Oblivions .

Quote: "Quote: "Heh, thanks, but I probably wouldn't sell for more than $15 (if I decide to sell at all)."
Awesome. Thats even better. I save money!"

Quote: "Quote: "Heh, thanks, but I probably wouldn't sell for more than $15 (if I decide to sell at all)."
Well if you keep up with the retextures Gil I would want to pay £40($80) for it. Yes I'm very generous."

Lol, well I just though of another idea that I've heard of people doing...you pay as much or as little as you want. I know most people won't pay anything, but that means more people will download it, and even 10 people just paying $5 is fine with me, I didn't make the game for money .

Quote: "Wow - I've been lurking around this thread, watching this game progress and I must say, this is really starting to take shape!

The building retextures are absolutely fantastic, btw "

Thanks .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 16:40
My personal favorite distribution method is the old shareware way: release a big chunk of the game for free (like the whole first episode of Doom, Duke Nukem 3D) and then ask for a payment for the rest. Not sure how that would work with an RPG though..
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 17:21
I'm not sure about a "pay as much as you want" method - I'd think that most people (including me ) would pay peanuts. Whereas if I'm confronted with a nice, definite price which I think is fair, then I'll still pay for it - but I'll pay the "proper" price, as it were.

Quote: "My personal favorite distribution method is the old shareware way: release a big chunk of the game for free (like the whole first episode of Doom, Duke Nukem 3D) and then ask for a payment for the rest. Not sure how that would work with an RPG though.."
I suppose the obvious way would be to release one small island with all the items, quests etc. and put in a level cap? And then, when people pay for the full game, the level-cap is removed (or made higher) and they get the whole world to explore?

I'm not sure how large the finished world would be, though, so Gil is probably in a better position to decide.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 17:36
Looks great. Personally I would like to see some non-profession specific quests and maybe a story line in the full game. But then it also depends on your idea of a quest. To my knowledge quests are generally quite short but you could have a quest that easily takes 3-4 hours to complete.

Eigther way it looks awesome. Maybe if you get a demo together and post it around you might even get lucky enough to find a publisher.
Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the idea of making an island with a cap limit and money limit and bag limit maybe? Then when they buy it it's all released and they get the rest of the world. Kind of like B egginers island and stuff.

Grrrr you ALL!
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 20:24
@Gil
Just watched your latest high res video and I have to say its looking well nice. With your new models and some subtle light mapping the graphics are going to start matching the quality of the rest of your engine. Keep up the good work!

What are you doing for music by the way? Do you have a composer lined up?

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 22:58
Quote: "My personal favorite distribution method is the old shareware way: release a big chunk of the game for free (like the whole first episode of Doom, Duke Nukem 3D) and then ask for a payment for the rest. Not sure how that would work with an RPG though.."

Problem is that I don't know if people would be willing to pay for the rest after a big chunk .

Quote: "I suppose the obvious way would be to release one small island with all the items, quests etc. and put in a level cap? And then, when people pay for the full game, the level-cap is removed (or made higher) and they get the whole world to explore?"

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that option right now.

Quote: "I'm not sure how large the finished world would be, though, so Gil is probably in a better position to decide."

Right now I'm planning for it to be Port Royale as the main city, consisting probably of about 30-40 buildings, and then 3-5 smaller villages on other islands with about 5-15 buildings, and then about 4-5 uninhabited islands.

Quote: "Looks great. Personally I would like to see some non-profession specific quests and maybe a story line in the full game. But then it also depends on your idea of a quest. To my knowledge quests are generally quite short but you could have a quest that easily takes 3-4 hours to complete."

Yeah, there will definitely be non-profession quests, just the professions will kind of drive your gameplay experience .

Quote: "Eigther way it looks awesome. Maybe if you get a demo together and post it around you might even get lucky enough to find a publisher."

Thanks .

Quote: "I like the idea of making an island with a cap limit and money limit and bag limit maybe? Then when they buy it it's all released and they get the rest of the world. Kind of like B egginers island and stuff."

I might do that too, I'm just not sure what to do now, lol .

Quote: "Just watched your latest high res video and I have to say its looking well nice. With your new models and some subtle light mapping the graphics are going to start matching the quality of the rest of your engine. Keep up the good work!"

Thanks .

Quote: "What are you doing for music by the way? Do you have a composer lined up?"

Nope, I don't really have any music yet .

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
The new buildings look great!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 07:04
Looks awesome Gil! Really can't wait for it.
Also everyone Gil just had a birthday so wish him all the best!
@Gil I'll figure it out!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 07:10
Quote: "The new buildings look great!"

Thanks .

Quote: "Looks awesome Gil! Really can't wait for it.
Also everyone Gil just had a birthday so wish him all the best!
@Gil I'll figure it out!"

Lol, thanks, and stop worry about it . It's been too long anyways, so it doesn't count .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 03:51
In any case, what I'd do for the demo is NOT make Port Royale available. Use one of those smaller islands as 'demo' island, and use something like 'sea currents' to limit the world. Have limited stuff available, limited quests, limited ships. Make sure you include a little of most used functions - combat, questing, crafting, exploring, ect. Ask for a price, not 'whatever you want to pay', unless 'whatever you want to pay if $15 or more).

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Umbra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 15:35 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 05:18
I think the best idea for a demo would be. (ever played one of those demos where you accomplish some things and you about to go on this epic quest, the main story and it leaves you just wanting more?) Yeah something like that..

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 20:03 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 20:16
Quote: "In any case, what I'd do for the demo is NOT make Port Royale available. Use one of those smaller islands as 'demo' island, and use something like 'sea currents' to limit the world. Have limited stuff available, limited quests, limited ships. Make sure you include a little of most used functions - combat, questing, crafting, exploring, ect. Ask for a price, not 'whatever you want to pay', unless 'whatever you want to pay if $15 or more)."

I could do that, but I'm just afraid it would be too limiting, but maybe I need it to be limiting.

Anyways, here is the ship retextured (with a few changes, like made a bit longer), thanks a lot to Umbra again:
Original

Retexture:

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 20:21
OMGF! I like it expect the flag. And the front thingy could be bit tuned perhaps?

You guys are doing awesome job

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the new ship!!!! Keep it up Gil and Umbra.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 23:59 Edited at: 13th Apr 2008 00:10
great stuff, excellent retexture! only thing im missing is all the rigging.. theres generally a ton of ropes going between all those sails

oh, and shouldnt it be sporting a jolly roger?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 02:34
You need to show everything that's in the game while limiting stuff as much as possible. A little bit of crafting requires one ore. A little bit of woodworking some trees. A little bit of combat some simple enemies. A little bit of seafaring a small boat. A little bit of questing a small town.

Umbra
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "great stuff, excellent retexture! only thing im missing is all the rigging.. theres generally a ton of ropes going between all those sails"

Although it would be great to have the most extreme detail like that it would not be very friendly to the performance. So it will probably be left as is. However the mast had been changed and the flag replaced with a more realistic one.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 08:49
a single plane going from bow to stern with a decent-resolution texture should work, no?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 15:18
I'd much rather prefer they move on to new things, and we'll check the boats again later .

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 15:32
I would like to see demo.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 22:00 Edited at: 13th Apr 2008 22:28
Quote: "OMGF! I like it expect the flag. And the front thingy could be bit tuned perhaps?

You guys are doing awesome job "

Yeah, I toned down the flag a bit, looks a bit better, but it's hard to get a decent looking flag made out of just boxes, which is what 3DWS is.

Quote: "You guys are doing awesome job "

Thanks

Quote: "I love the new ship!!!! Keep it up Gil and Umbra."

Thanks, glad you like it .

Quote: "great stuff, excellent retexture! only thing im missing is all the rigging.. theres generally a ton of ropes going between all those sails"

Heh, I'll consider doing some rigging, I'm just not exactly sure what it needs to look like, since in real life it's very complicated :S.

Quote: "You need to show everything that's in the game while limiting stuff as much as possible. A little bit of crafting requires one ore. A little bit of woodworking some trees. A little bit of combat some simple enemies. A little bit of seafaring a small boat. A little bit of questing a small town."

Ok, I'm leaning toward this option, but I want to know what others think about it. So...what do others think about it?

Quote: "I would like to see demo."

Lol, I would like to give you a demo . But unfortunately, it's not ready yet .

So I was wondering, do people think I should wait to release the demo version until I have the full version done as well? Or release the demo version first?

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 00:59
Quote: "You need to show everything that's in the game while limiting stuff as much as possible. A little bit of crafting requires one ore. A little bit of woodworking some trees. A little bit of combat some simple enemies. A little bit of seafaring a small boat. A little bit of questing a small town."

I think thats the best way, have a small 'pirate cove' or island or something that shows off a little bit of everything. For example, you could have a blacksmith who gives you two or three starter quests and then refers you to continue your training at a master blacksmith, located at port royale.

Make it like an extended tutorial, the player can learn how to play the game, see what interests him most so that when he gets to port royale he isn't a total landlubber
Doug Hamilton
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice job with the retexturing, it adds a lot to the quality of the game. I'm really excited to get my hands on a demo!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 13:55
Quote: "So I was wondering, do people think I should wait to release the demo version until I have the full version done as well? Or release the demo version first?"

Wait until it's done. A game like this needs a closed beta, and a trial that launches right before the real game. That's in my opinion, though.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 14:04
Quote: "Yeah, I toned down the flag a bit, looks a bit better, but it's hard to get a decent looking flag made out of just boxes, which is what 3DWS is."

Well actually meant the texture Somehow just the flag texture/mark/style w/e doesnt seem to fit with the ship.. It can be just me tho.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 03:58
Quote: "Wait until it's done. A game like this needs a closed beta, and a trial that launches right before the real game. That's in my opinion, though."

I agree, this should be as controlled as possible and released just before the game. Otherwise people will clamor for several demos.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 05:32
Exactly. Dr. Manette and I seem to be on the same wavelength.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, sorry to hear that there is someone else just as crazy as Rami...

JK, they're both right. Demo later when the full game is done

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 22:07
Quote: "Wow, sorry to hear that there is someone else just as crazy as Rami... "

Hey, I pride myself in being THE craziest person here.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 04:15
Quote: "I think thats the best way, have a small 'pirate cove' or island or something that shows off a little bit of everything. For example, you could have a blacksmith who gives you two or three starter quests and then refers you to continue your training at a master blacksmith, located at port royale.

Make it like an extended tutorial, the player can learn how to play the game, see what interests him most so that when he gets to port royale he isn't a total landlubber "

Yeah, I'm leaning toward that option .

Quote: "Nice job with the retexturing, it adds a lot to the quality of the game. I'm really excited to get my hands on a demo!"

Thanks .

Quote: "Wait until it's done. A game like this needs a closed beta, and a trial that launches right before the real game. That's in my opinion, though."

Master Rami knows best, so I'll wait . (plus everyone else said that too )

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 05:18
Master Rami knows best. That should make a nice Blog or Vlog.

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 12:06
AWESOME!! I really want to make a pirate game.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 20:28
Quote: "AWESOME!! I really want to make a pirate game."

Heh, thanks .

Ok, the talk system is finally getting worked on, so now I have it to where you can add responses to the NPC's responses, for example:

Player chooses "Do you have anything I could do?" topic.
NPC responds "Yes, I have [insert quest description]. Do you want to help me?"

That was already in the engine, now I've added where after the NPC says that, the player can choose responses like:
"No, I don't think I can."
or
"Yes, I'd be glad to."

And then the NPC would respond to the response, for example:
"Ok, let me know if you are ready."
or
"Ok, great, let's begin."

Obviously it would be impractical to have more responses though, because then it could become exponentially large and hard to manage . Next I'll add where an NPC could come and talk to you first.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 00:59
Heh, I saw a commercial the other day of a PotC MMORPG and I thought of this.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 07:23 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2008 07:23
Quote: "Heh, I saw a commercial the other day of a PotC MMORPG and I thought of this."

Lol .

Well here are a few in-game pics of the retextures (and new palm trees! more to come!) and new ground textures in game to appease your appetite until I get enough for another video . Enjoy.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 07:24
Time to work on better textures for the grass/paths! Looks good, I'd retract the fog a bit.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 07:28
Quote: "Time to work on better textures for the grass/paths!"

Yeah, if anyone has any, I'd gladly take them .

Quote: "Looks good, I'd retract the fog a bit."

I'll eventually add a slider for it that the player can change, because it also determines how far objects are hidden .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 11:57
Looking good, but the big blue cross in the sky is bothering me o_O If you need some good grass textures i can hook you up, but it'll be later as im in the middle of moving house (just about to pack up this PC in fact )
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 21:51
List of retextures i would like to see.

-Better grass...MORE grass textures (A little variation shouldn't hurt at all)

-Higher res skybox! (And delete that huge cross!)

Better water texture and transparency*

*Not really a retexture but transparent water would look cool

*haha nice work Gil, keep it up!

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:16:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:16:42