Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 01:10
You'we got to take care of your thread like it was your baby

Give us some news.

http://bergice.blogspot.com/ << Please enter my blog and click ads
Demos,Examples,Tutorials,Portfolio
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 00:36 Edited at: 6th Nov 2008 00:37
Just wanted to bump this so it doesn't get auto-locked if they still do that. I haven't done much this last month, I tried adding in muskets, but for some reason they are loading as giant pistols, and I got too annoyed because I couldn't figure out why so I gave up for a little while. I also fixed a few bugs and added a few new objects in like a rug and a fence.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 13:17
The mythical giant musket of Davy Jones? Awesome!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 23:00
Quote: "and I got too annoyed because I couldn't figure out why so I gave up for a little while."

Those bugs that seem unsolvable (usually with a 3rd party DLL) slow my project down to a crawl, I get so frustrated. Sometimes months at a time! Try not to let it get to you this project of yours is so far along...

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 22:30
Good news: I fixed the bug and muskets now work, and I'm working on making them and pistols better.
Bad news: I still haven't found much time lately to work on the game much, so hopefully I will soon when I get home for Christmas for a month.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 13:50
Cool, good to hear some progress and news

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 00:49
Maybe its time for a demo.

We have only been waiting for 1 year, 11 months and 6 days now.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 01:21
Quote: "Maybe its time for a demo.

We have only been waiting for 1 year, 11 months and 6 days now."

It's not ready for a public demo yet. Yes, many of the core features of the game are well into development, and they look good and complete in the videos, but what you don't see is the day or two of preparation and retries for each 5 minute video I go through because of the game crashing or a bug occurring while I'm running through it. It's the same way a commercial developer can give you a nice looking trailer a year before a games release. Just because you don't see problems with it or incomplete features doesn't mean they aren't there .

Yes I know that it's been a long time, but keep in mind I'm developing an open-ended RPG basically by myself while attending college. Maybe at the end of winter break, which starts in a week, it will be closer to being ready for a demo.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 01:25 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 01:25
Yarr!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 14:35
Amen.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 15:50
I was reading an older pirates thread and don't worry guys, we can expect a demo to be out by summer 2005.

Haha Don't worry Gil, it's your game, take your time.

It's not like I have a demo out yet either.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:22
Quote: "It's not like I have a demo out yet either. "

Wait... you make games!!?!?!

I thought you were just some creepy Norwegian guy who stalked the forums
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:41
Yes? I can do both you see.

I've been working on my project for over 3 years.

Though I keep it a secret.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:45
Quote: "Though I keep it a secret.
"

Which is why you should post a W.I.P thread. It helps keep secrets... Public.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:56 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 21:56
But it's at least 2 years from completion. I can't hold a thread alive for that long. Anyways, this is offtopic. Let's talk about pirates.

Yarr!

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 14:31
Alucard, it seems your signature is famous. Soon everyone will have one and you will become a TGC legend. LOL.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 15:12
Quote: "I thought you were just some creepy Norwegian guy who stalked the forums "

I guess that would be me...

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 18:19
Yo GG!

It's been awhile, but I think I am coming back to the Game Making scene

I LOVED your video man! I really like how much you have there. You have come a long way since your earlier work. I had a thought as I was watching your cannons fire. It would be nice to see the cannons kick back and for them to emit a blast of smoke/fire when they went off. Just kind of a cool finishing touch.

Anyways,

Peace!

One day you will fight the fine fight.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 22:14
Clock is ticking...

[b]The cake is a lie...[b]
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2008 00:13
Hehe, well I am now home for winter break, but unfortunately I left my laptop charger back at school, so I had to order a new one, which should be in within a couple days. So I'll start up work on it then .

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2008 19:34
Quote: "but unfortunately I left my laptop charger back at school"

Uargh, so much bad luck. Hurry up, I need a new video!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 06:42
Hey Gil long time bro!
Hope to catch you on MSN sometime!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 05:45
Quote: "Hey Gil long time bro!
Hope to catch you on MSN sometime!"

Hey, yeah, welcome back .

Ok, I got my laptop charger, but didn't do much till today due to getting a new puppy and then Christmas and then working on a website I'm getting paid to make, but today I finally started some work on it with a couple bug fixes and the beginning of some larger features.

So I decided that as a sort of thanks for everyone continually supporting the project even when I put it down for a couple months sometimes I would make another video if people want me to. It wouldn't include many new features from the previous ones and would be more like a gameplay video showing a taste of what it will hopefully be when the game is finished. If anyone has any specific ideas I'd love to hear them, and I'd like to know if you'd like a video of things you've already seen before in the first place.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 12:21
Just an idea Gil but maybe you could do a video with the those fabulous new models that you showcased a little while ago! Would look brilliant to see them inside your game!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 01:07
/bump
I've downscaled the world by 10% and in doing so I've fixed a lot of clipping and collision issues. I'm working on fixing the bugs that were caused by doing this. I've also made and added in the main menu for the game. After finishing up the bug fixes I'm going to get working on what needs to be done for the first quest, working on what I need to as I walk through it. Currently the only core game mechanic that I don't have is AI (other than a few basic behaviors and pathfinding). The rest of the game is just modifying and improving the mechanics I already have, populating the world with people, things, and quests, and debugging.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 01:17
Sounds cool Gil. I'm looking forward to playing this (someday - a man can dream )!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 01:45
Besides classifying you as man (you're more like a grown up boy), draknir_, I wholeheartedly agree with you on that .

Why in Gods name did you downscale to 10%? Problems far from the origin?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 02:10
Quote: "Sounds cool Gil. I'm looking forward to playing this (someday - a man can dream )!"

Haha, yes, hopefully someday I will finish this dang thing .

Quote: "Why in Gods name did you downscale to 10%? Problems far from the origin?"

I was having collision issues with sparky's that was caused by a large scale world, clipping issues with objects disappearing before they were out of the screen, and clipping issues with terrain and water being close to each other flashing back and forth. Fortunately scaling down by 10% (just dividing all values by 10) fixed all of these problems .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 02:35
Quote: "(you're more like a grown up boy)"

You're just prejudiced because I don't like space games

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 07:38
Just want to let everyone know they can expect a new video soon (hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday). It won't have a whole lot of content because most of my work this past month has been debugging and improving things that most people won't notice (or will only notice if they weren't improved). It will be similar to the video I've already made of going from the world editor to the engine, showing me making a map in the editor and then playing it in the engine. I actually made one tonight but I wasn't very happy with it (and encountered a few bugs along the way), so I'm going to try again tomorrow or Wednesday (depending on how long some bug fixes take me).

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 09:03
Wow, you WHERE working on it

Everytime i asked you, you where like "i'm working on it..." so i thought you had stopped progress

Great Work!

NEW: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40ghz 4gb ram 32-bit | OLD: 3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
Visit my youtube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/bergice1
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 09:55 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 09:59
Quote: "Wow, you WHERE working on it

Everytime i asked you, you where like "i'm working on it..." so i thought you had stopped progress

Great Work!"

Haha, yes, I have been working on it quite a bit in the last 3-4 weeks, it's just on a lot of things that most people won't care about or notice (and debugging), but will make the development faster and easier for me . For example, all object types and their properties are completely scripted now. It now takes 2-4 minutes to add an entirely new object into the game, depending on how many properties it has.

Here's an example of a script for one of the more complicated objects (since it has a lot of properties):

but some are as simple as:

I plan on building more games off of the PoPR Engine (next will probably be Ancient Rome), so having this kind of scripting system is not only very helpful now, but it will be extremely beneficial in the future. It will also allow modders (if there ever are any besides me) to have more control over what they are modifying.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 23:13
Looks like you have lots of properties you can set for your objects, thats good!

NEW: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40ghz 4gb ram 32-bit | OLD: 3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 04:52 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 04:54
Quote: "Looks like you have lots of properties you can set for your objects, thats good!"

Yup, here is the reference file I made for all of the scripting commands so far:

I've fixed all of the bugs that I found while making the last video, so now it's just a matter of if I decide to take the time to make the video tonight or tomorrow and if I encounter any other bugs while making it.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 06:05 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 06:08
Sorry the video is taking longer than I expected. I had a busy day today and an exam, and another exam tomorrow. I started recording it again tonight and part of the way through I ran into yet another bug (which I fixed in about 30 seconds, but it made the 10 minutes (I'm going to play it at 4x the speed since it's editing in the world editor) I had recorded basically useless). I'll definitely have the video this weekend.

Prophet Hill
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking forward to seeing it Galvanti!

ProphetHill
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 21:27
Yeah - looking forward to it!

Unfortunately, exams are probably more important so I certainly won't complain if anything is a bit delayed!
Keep up the good work, Gil.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 08:34
Good news: I forced myself to spend the last 4 hours filming and putting together the video.

Bad news: It's going to take 1.5 hours to export, and it's 1:30AM. And I have an 8AM class tomorrow. So it seems everyone will have to wait one more day for this amazingly crappy video! You can thank windows movie maker.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 22:53
Ok, finally got the video up! Hopefully someone will appreciate it since I spent 4 hours on it last night. There are a few problems (forgetting to change the font size a couple times, long gap in the music (blame WMM)), but there's no way I'm going through exporting it again just to fix them. Don't expect a whole lot from it, nothing most people haven't seen before, but I wanted to get something up to at least show I was still working on it. It's a bit long (about 9:30) even with the world editor at 4x original speed and the engine at 2x the original speed, but I commentated it to try to keep people entertained. It's probably not one of my better videos. Here it is, hope you like it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXN6WqHojtU

Here's some of the new things I've added lately (most of which no one will notice):

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 23:06
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 23:10
This looks incredible man. I can't wait to see this finished.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 23:20
It's looking really good. I was going to suggest some type of snap to grid but looks like you already thought of it. The under-the-hood stuff you recently did will really pay off in the long run. Especially all the scripting/debugging work. A few questions:

How many lines of code is this beast (editor and engine) ?

How do you share properties between the two programs, do they read the same script files upon initialization?

What % would you say you are at with the game sections (AI, Combat, etc) in your first post?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 23:43
Thanks for the positive feedback so far .
@tiresius:
Quote: "
How many lines of code is this beast (editor and engine) ?
"

Game Engine is just over 13000, World Editor is just under 10000 .

Quote: "How do you share properties between the two programs, do they read the same script files upon initialization?"

Yup, they both read from the same data and script files. They both load objects the same way, they just do different things with them (world editor has tools for editing them, engine has tools for interacting with them).
Quote: "
What % would you say you are at with the game sections (AI, Combat, etc) in your first post?"

It's hard to estimate that kind of thing, but my best guess would be:
Movement-100%
Inventory-90%
Crafting-90%
Collision-95%
Trading-85%
Talk-80%
World Editor-90%
Quest-70%
Save/Load/Importing-90%
Interaction-45%
AI-40%
Combat-70%
Overall-80-85%

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 00:16
That was VERY impressive. I'd recommend adding a feature so that you can place an object with the same editing over and over again though. Like a copy and paste.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 00:33
Truely inspiring work Gil, I look forward to playing this.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i LOVE you!.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 06:35
Gil,

The video is looking good! I'm keeping my eye on this one.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 08:53
I saw it all, like i commented: "best map editor i have ever seen in a programming language i have ever used"

And i can also give it the title: "Best map editor i have seen except for Crysis Sandbox and EA Worldbuilder"

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
eeehh its a lot like farcry(1)'s map editor.
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 14:20
It's more like TES CS.

Really nice work Gil! This is the proof that great games can be made with easy to use programming languages!

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:43:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:43:51