Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 18:19

Very impressive! There's a real sense of flexibility, ala the Elder Scrolls, as has already been noted.

This has made me remeniscent of a game I tried to make a few years ago... I got about half the groundwork done, with a proper editor and everything... then my A-levels kicked in Although your editor really puts mine to shame: it looks much more robust, whereas mine was more kind of "eehhh, if it works, it'll do".

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 22:29 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2009 22:30
Quote: "Very impressive!"

I agree, really nice work!
Also, kudos to you for spending >4 hours making us a video!

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 22:42
This is way awesome. Although maybe some sort of move manipulator where you can constrain the movement to a certain axis or snap it to a grid? (Which I know you have already thought of but I just thought I'd remind you)

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 23:23
The text in the video has just a little bit too much attitude for me. Other than that, good job.

Ripple - Rhythm Game
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 23:35
Quote: "The text in the video has just a little bit too much attitude for me."

LOL - I can appreciate that. Though I also must mention that my wife and I laughed out loud at many of the comments - especially the "I am just typing stuff wheil I try to figure out how to make a fenced in backyard" or something along those lines - also the one about the music was pretty funny.

I actually liked how the music stopped in the middle and was silent for a long time - then more music came on - the atmoshere changed three times due to that alone.

Kudos to Gil!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 00:04
@Bizar Guy
Quote: "That was VERY impressive. I'd recommend adding a feature so that you can place an object with the same editing over and over again though. Like a copy and paste."

Thanks, yeah, been thinking about putting that in, would be very useful .

@Chris Ritchie
Quote: "Truely inspiring work Gil, I look forward to playing this.
"

Thanks, I look forward to finishing it .

@Azunaki
Quote: "i LOVE you!. "

Thanks...I guess .

@TechLord
Quote: "
Gil,

The video is looking good! I'm keeping my eye on this one."

Thanks, good to know people are still watching it .

@bergice
Quote: "I saw it all, like i commented: "best map editor i have ever seen in a programming language i have ever used"

And i can also give it the title: "Best map editor i have seen except for Crysis Sandbox and EA Worldbuilder""

Haha, don't think I'd go so far as saying that, but thanks .

@nackidno
Quote: "It's more like TES CS.

Really nice work Gil! This is the proof that great games can be made with easy to use programming languages! "

Yeah, TES: CS is one of my main inspirations for the world editor (and the TES series one of my main inspirations for the game overall). And thanks .

@Darth Kiwi

Quote: "Very impressive! There's a real sense of flexibility, ala the Elder Scrolls, as has already been noted.

This has made me remeniscent of a game I tried to make a few years ago... I got about half the groundwork done, with a proper editor and everything... then my A-levels kicked in Although your editor really puts mine to shame: it looks much more robust, whereas mine was more kind of "eehhh, if it works, it'll do"."

Thanks, yeah, school can be quite an obstacle when game developing. I know it's delayed or slowed my development several times before.

@zzz
Quote: "I agree, really nice work!
Also, kudos to you for spending >4 hours making us a video! "

Haha, thanks, I felt like I owed the community at least something to show I was still working. I also almost always find some bugs while making them (sometimes big one's that make me have to stop the video, fix them, and restart, which is annoying), so they are also productive.

@Alucard94
Quote: "This is way awesome. Although maybe some sort of move manipulator where you can constrain the movement to a certain axis or snap it to a grid? (Which I know you have already thought of but I just thought I'd remind you)"

Thanks, yeah, I think I'll try to add that in today or sometime soon.

@Profit
Quote: "The text in the video has just a little bit too much attitude for me. Other than that, good job."

Yeah, sorry, I'm trying to entertain, but I know not everyone will like the sense of humor I use in the vids, and some would rather have them without text, but so far the response is mostly positive to the commentary, so I keep making them .

@jason p sage
Quote: "LOL - I can appreciate that. Though I also must mention that my wife and I laughed out loud at many of the comments - especially the "I am just typing stuff wheil I try to figure out how to make a fenced in backyard" or something along those lines - also the one about the music was pretty funny.

I actually liked how the music stopped in the middle and was silent for a long time - then more music came on - the atmoshere changed three times due to that alone.

Kudos to Gil!
"

Haha, thanks, glad to know you liked some of the humor, makes it worth the 2 hours that portion of that video takes to make .

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 03:23
This is the first time I've checked out this project, and I must say I'm extremely impressed by the amount of effort you've put into this. When I clicked on the video link I definitely was not expecting such an incredibly well-made project. And all the little details--things like filling up that bottle with water from the fountain--just add to it. Good luck on finishing this, I really hope you're successful with that and I will definitely be keeping my eye on it.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 06:54 Edited at: 13th Mar 2009 06:56
Quote: "This is the first time I've checked out this project, and I must say I'm extremely impressed by the amount of effort you've put into this. When I clicked on the video link I definitely was not expecting such an incredibly well-made project. And all the little details--things like filling up that bottle with water from the fountain--just add to it. Good luck on finishing this, I really hope you're successful with that and I will definitely be keeping my eye on it.
"

Thanks, good to know I have another person following it .

I was looking through the oldest PoPR thread, and found this which I thought was funny, the oldest known image of PoPR:

Not sure if anyone noticed from the last video, but I remade the hut and the stone gates from that image as a sort of nod to the beginning of PoPR .

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 10:51
Haha well this comes to show how much the project evolved. I'm still keeping my eye on this Gil! I wish you good luck my friend.
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
....wow.... it really is impressive how much this has changed.
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 08:21
*Shivers* That was kinda ugly..

But I agree with the rest of the guys, this project have evolved alot!

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 14:02
im amazed at this, what sort of addons did you use??

that just inspires me even more to continue on my projects...
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
I vote Gil for longest-dedicated project. Anyone 2nd that?

Signed
------
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 18:21
I'm completely with you Feiting Shadow!

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 20:52
Quote: ""Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! ""

Seriously i am norwegian so i understand this, and its really starting to creep me off!

And on topic (kind of) i agree with Feiting Shadow.

NEW: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40ghz 4gb ram 32-bit | OLD: 3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
Visit my youtube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/bergice1
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 21:23
Quote: "Quote: ""Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! ""

Seriously i am norwegian so i understand this, and its really starting to creep me off! "

yeh, That is quite weird. Translation according to google:

Anyway, I also Vote Gil for longest running project!

NaGaCreMo:
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 23:12
Quote: "Quote: ""Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! ""

Seriously i am norwegian so i understand this, and its really starting to creep me off! "

It's a quote from a Swedish gaming forum. Yeah, I know, we sweds are weird people. Buuut... Let's not get into more details. And that translation is not very accurate Blobby.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 18:07 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 18:10
Quote: "Yeah, I know, we sweds are weird people"

Translate his location.

@Gil:
For how long have you been working on PoPR?

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 20:34 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 20:34
There have been six Swede-posts in one page! I feel proud!

Can't wait for an update Gil. Very fun to look back on those screenshots as well.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 20:57
@Gil:
For how long have you been working on PoPR?"

I started designing it 5 years ago, and I started programming it about 4.5 years ago, but it's undergone several rewrites since then, because when I started I basically had no idea what I was doing.

Quote: "Can't wait for an update Gil. Very fun to look back on those screenshots as well."

Hehe, yeah, it's funny to see how much it has changed . I'll try to get out an update ASAP, but school is keeping me busy again :/.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline

looks awesome
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 02:07
This project sucks. N00b.

Naah, we love you. Keep going at it.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with tha_rami.(but WHICH statement??)

Nah, the latter. I can't wait, this game will be a must buy.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 07:26 Edited at: 24th Mar 2009 08:09
looks awesome "

Thanks .

Quote: "Naah, we love you. Keep going at it."

How sweet, I love you guys too, group hug? (No homo ).

Quote: "Nah, the latter. I can't wait, this game will be a must buy."

Haha, hopefullly a lot of people will agree with you about the "must buy" part .

Today I was actually productive and I got a boat (about the size of Jack Sparrow's boat he is introduced on) working to where you can sail it (uses the same mechanics as the ship). Now to decide what to do next...

Here's a screenshot, not exactly what I'd call eye candy, but it's my proof that I'm not lying .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 09:36 Edited at: 24th Mar 2009 09:41
Cool, but it says your not on the ship when you are

And can you collide with the shore?

Oh and, 540 polys?

NEW: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40ghz 4gb ram 32-bit | OLD: 3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 10:11
awesome as.

would it be possible to mod the game and use different boats instead of the ones you pt in
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 17:04
I dont think that would be too hard as his editor is so nice, i think he has some option for loading new objects in, but i am not sure if this is for ships. As they are different but i believe if it isnt possible we can prey for him to add it

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 17:37
Quote: "Cool, but it says your not on the ship when you are

And can you collide with the shore?

Oh and, 540 polys? "

Hehe, actually the inShip variable reads if you are in a door marker for a ship, not if you are on the ship .

Yeah, the 540 also includes the ocean and sky though.

Quote: "would it be possible to mod the game and use different boats instead of the ones you pt in "

Yes, I plan to have that feature . I already have it where a modder is able to add in their own objects quite easily through simple scripting. I don't however have it where they can add their own object types that you have more complex interactions with like ships and npc's, but I plan to eventually add those in as well.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 18:31
Quote: "Yeah, the 540 also includes the ocean and sky though."

XD you're making it sound like 540 is a lot of polies!

An entire scene WITH ocean and sky in just 540 polies?! You must be joking! Most games (even old ones) will have >4000 in one scene at once. Usually more than that!

NaGaCreMo:
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 19:23
Quote: "XD you're making it sound like 540 is a lot of polies!

An entire scene WITH ocean and sky in just 540 polies?! You must be joking! Most games (even old ones) will have >4000 in one scene at once. Usually more than that!"

Haha, well, it is only one model on the screen . Low poly models and low res textures is the only way I'm able to have so much on the screen at once while maintaining 60FPS, although it does make the graphics crappier .

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 20:11
Quote: "Hey everyone,
As many of you know, Pirates of Port Royale (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60051&b=8) is slowly but surely coming together, with only really the combat system, and collision, and sub-systems left to do before a demo (and by that time, the island itself should be finished), which is looking like one could possibly be out before Christmas. "

Posted by Gil Galvanti: 28th Oct 2005 21:18

LOL

Long time since that

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 23:09 Edited at: 24th Mar 2009 23:10
Looks awesome! Is there any reason texture filtering is disabled on the sky in that last screenshot? (at least it looks like it is)

Thank you.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 23:49
Quote: "Is there any reason texture filtering is disabled on the sky in that last screenshot? (at least it looks like it is)"

Yeah, it's because if it's enabled you can see the seams of the box. If it's disabled it's heavily pixelated, so I can't decide which is worse. It's probably just a temporary skybox anyways.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2009 00:18
Quote: "Yeah, it's because if it's enabled you can see the seams of the box. If it's disabled it's heavily pixelated, so I can't decide which is worse. It's probably just a temporary skybox anyways."

Ahh, ok. IMO it probably looks better now than it would with seams--I can't stand seams in skyboxes.

Thank you.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Try changing the lighting on the skybox, or find a different model for the skybox.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
this game is amazing i have watched all the vids on you tube and this is what started me using dark basic so if anyone says anything bad about porp (pirates of port royal) i will kill 'em

p.s. thanks gil galvanti for your help

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 00:04
Quote: "this game is amazing i have watched all the vids on you tube and this is what started me using dark basic so if anyone says anything bad about porp (pirates of port royal) i will kill 'em"

I have to agree. It also makes me want to learn DBpro faster...

TheCleverGuyz
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "this game is amazing i have watched all the vids on you tube and this is what started me using dark basic so if anyone says anything bad about porp (pirates of port royal) i will kill 'em"

I have to agree. It also makes me want to learn DBpro faster..."

yea i want a project to work on now and make somthing like porp i have started an fps but it is no where near as good as porp i need to learn faster

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "make somthing like porp"

May I ask what porp is?

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 08:48
I am sure they mean POPR, but you probably knew that.

Gil, glad to see you are still chipping away at this project. Keep it up.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
yea i meant popr i just put them round the wrong way lol thx riidii

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 14:57
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 10:41
I want some jalapeno poprs.

One day you will fight the fine fight.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 00:36
Quote: "Low poly models and low res textures is the only way I'm able to have so much on the screen at once while maintaining 60FPS"

I don't think I've seen a system that low end in a very long time... Is it one of the original Voodoo Graphics cards? Still have mine around here somewhere...

Remember all that time in school that you complained that math is useless and you'll never need to know trig or calc? Guess what. If you're reading this, you need them.
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 01:21
One (1!) soldier in Rome: Total war has more polys than your entire scene (about 700). And there are thousands of them on the screen at the same time, not counting the terrain etc. And this game is nothing new or fancy. You really, really should think about tweaking the graphics a little bit.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 01:40 Edited at: 15th Apr 2009 01:44
Quote: "I don't think I've seen a system that low end in a very long time... Is it one of the original Voodoo Graphics cards? Still have mine around here somewhere..."

A system that low end? I have a pretty high-end system, but I'm designing my game for medium-end PC's.

Quote: "One (1!) soldier in Rome: Total war has more polys than your entire scene (about 700). And there are thousands of them on the screen at the same time, not counting the terrain etc. And this game is nothing new or fancy. You really, really should think about tweaking the graphics a little bit. "

Yes, but they also aren't using DBP (which is much less efficient than C++, apparently), are professional programmers who know how to squeeze every FPS out of a game, and aren't making an open world, seamless RPG .

Another problem is that I really don't have the skills to model much better than I already have. I'm a programmer, not a 3D modeler or texture artist.

The current uncapped FPS on my 4GB RAM, 1.83GHz PC is about 80 on a full scene, and since I'm designing for medium-end PC's as well, I want to keep it that way.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 14:03
And the models and textures are good anyways as they are--
You are doing awesome job Gil, this have been my favorite WIP in TGC.

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 19:46
looks nice Gil, keep it up...
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 00:05 Edited at: 18th Apr 2009 00:05
Quote: "One (1!) soldier in Rome: Total war has more polys than your entire scene (about 700). And there are thousands of them on the screen at the same time, not counting the terrain etc. And this game is nothing new or fancy. You really, really should think about tweaking the graphics a little bit."

So you're saying that there are several million polygons in just the soldiers alone? Not only is that higher than what you see in Crysis, but it's not including any vegetation or terrain--I find that very hard to believe. Furthermore as Gil pointed out this is one hobbyist programmer working with DBP, not several dozen programmers working with Source or UE3. I think that 700 polies in a scene is fine--in fact, I think it's awesome, and I wish more game were like that so I could run them on my laptop.

i like orange
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 02:37
No, the scene should be able to handle more, if the fps is at 60 now I'd say cap it at 30, because the difference matters little unless you're moving very fast. Low poly works fine, you just need to use the polys well. Gil needs a good game modeler and texture artist.

10,000 polys should easy to do in DBpro, though even 5000 could be fine. However, for just 700 polys the game does a pretty good job.

And yes, games today do use polygon levels in the millions at times.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 12:29:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 12:29:05