Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 10:21
One thing it seems people are thinking for some reason is that 700 poly's is my standard for any scene. The scene I posted has half of a single boat model, a sky, and a box ocean. I just loaded up the largest map I have so far (which is closer to what a normal scene will eventually be), and I have about 25,000 poly's on screen at one time, and get around 60-70FPS uncapped.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 10:55
Ah that sound much, much better.

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 12:35
Quote: "So you're saying that there are several million polygons in just the soldiers alone?"

No, cause there's LOD and sprites. About 250 thousands polys, let's say.

Quote: "Ah that sound much, much better."

Agreed
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 02:25
Ah, I guess I overreacted--probably because anything over 3,000 polygons slows my laptop to 30 FPS. (I'm serious)

i like orange
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 03:32
Gil what happened to that artist who was doing up all those building models for you?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:41
Gil ate him for breakfast. Bummer, I liked the guy, I think.

Progress update!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:54
Quote: " I liked the guy"

not in that way?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 03:03
ARGH, MATIES!!! Grab those two and have dem WALK da Plank - Let the sharks have their way with them!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 03:38
Hey it's not me its Rami! Make him walk the plank! I'm clean, and straight...

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
so, when is the demo coming?

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 23:37
Quote: "Progress update!"

I would if there was an update to give, but unfortunately exams and final projects for the semester have kept me busy the last few weeks. Exams done next week, so hopefully after that I'll have some time over the summer!

Quote: "so, when is the demo coming?"

As I have said the other 3 times you have asked me in the last month, I don't know. It's too far from completion to tell, so probably not anytime soon. I want to finish it just as much or more as everyone else wants me to, but I just don't have the time (and when I do, I lack the motivation) to work on it lately.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
So, when's the demo coming?

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 04:13
Oh, I get it Cian! (good one.)

But seriously,
Things are starting to take shape now! I always knew you had it in you (sorry, I'm writing to Gil now). However I am rather amazed that you have managed to stick to this project for so long, like since 2004 I think, as it would seem impossible to me. At least during these days.. but let's not go there.

As for me, I am happy with just the videos. Not that I don't want to test it out, should the opportunity come; it's just such a bother to download something, unzip it somewhere and play. Maybe download some new drivers and et cetera. So, videos showcasing the features are very fine indeed.

I like how you can chop wood, fill the glass with water, talk with the NPC's, ride the boat.. er.. ship. Basically I love everything! It's a rather new concept for a DBPro game, I don't think anyone has attempted this before. It is either the one thing or the other, not everything combined.

When you first started this project and mentioned everything you wanted to do, I thought "why be difficult, when with a little bit of effort, you can be impossible". However, as I mentioned earlier, things are starting to take shape and it is looking promising! So I'll have to forget I thought that, even though I can't now that it is printed on a public forum..

But anyway, I didn't mean to come here and post paragraph after paragraph, when everybody else seem to do the one or two liners. :/ So I'll finish this off by encouraging you to keep your pirate spirit burning! (riight.. in other words I meant to say good luck, but it's such a.. standard thing to say. I hope you can understand. And I also wanted to somehow implement the pirate smiley in my post. Well, bye.)

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Gil what happened to that artist who was doing up all those building models for you?"

Well it would appear he is still alive, as he made a comment 7 posts above yours. Now the real question is... what has he been up to?

Anyways hopefully you'll feel more motivated to work on it now that you're almost done with school. If not then I'll make you feel motivated. Well if I'm not too busy bugging you for help in making my game editor.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 04:14
While I completely agree with Lukas there, Gil, by the way, when was the demo coming again?

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 10:25
Rami stop asking for a demo!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 23:32
Hallo everyone, I am still alive, just been busy. I had final exams, then started working full time for the summer, but will eventually cut to only 3 days a week in the next few weeks. So, when I do that, hopefully I will start working on PoPR again for the summer.

@Lukas W: Thanks for the encouraging post, and I like long replies with paragraphs, haha, I wish people would do it more often .

So within the next few weeks hopefully I will pick up working on the game again (or maybe even on the weekends) and hopefully get quite a bit done this summer.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 03:10
Yay, excellent! Stick with it, Gil.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 05:43
Cool!
I've got publishers galore lined up for this game! They all want a piece of it!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 06:24
So when was the de...

Never mind . Progress update!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 10:31
Rami, when you do that the whole thing gets delayed

StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
I usually roll my eyes when I see a post for another DBP RPG but I've been watching this one develop pretty much since I started with DBPro and this ones developing nicely.

Most usually aren't aware of the time and effort required to pull something like this together (or even something a tenth of the size and complexity), hence the number of RPG and MMORPGs that drop off the bottom of the boards never to be heard of again. However, I'm certain this is one thats going to see the light of day and we're all going to be playing at some point in the future.

I like the style based on what we've seen so far, also the attention to detail and the other little touches I can see will make it a Dark Basic classic (as will Soul hunter).

Timescale-wise, don't hurry it, take the time to get it just right. I doff my hat to your dedication and perserverence.

As to demo's - in my opinion they detract from the coding as its not just a case of hitting save and posting a demo release - they pretty much have to be programmed in parallel (with loose ends tied up) or divert the programmers attention from the all-important main code.

Good going, and nice one!

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I wanted to post earlier but somehow, only now got around to it. I have watched the videos of your game and editor and I am thoroughly impressed by the quality of it. It's almost scary to think of how much work and time has been put into making such a polished system. Really, design and devotion shows!

I would like to say also that I really like your graphics. It's not the count of polygons that counts, the important thing is that the graphics must suit the kind of game you are making, and you have got that just right. When I look at the pictures, I can immediately get into the atmosphere of the game.

Congratulations for your effort so far and please keep up the good work so we can enjoy the game when it's released!
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
are you going to sell it or will it be free?

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 08:09
Quote: "are you going to sell it or will it be free?"

I'm quite sure that Gil will be selling PoPR, I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread. But yeah with over 900 messages I'm sure you've got a good reason for not reading through!

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
im exited about this!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 14:41
We all are!

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
BUMP! lol anyways im peeing myself with exitment!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 04:10
Quote: "peeing myself with exitment!"

Something tells me we didn't need, or want, to know that. But thanks for sharing, a representative will get back to you shortly.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 04:38
So, are there any updates on PoPR, Gil? You seem to be putting a lot into HP online- are you doing that for multiplayer practice for this game?

Permanoobs are awesome.
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 06:15
I really hope this doesn't get canceled. I've been following it for such a long time!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 06:34
Quote: "I usually roll my eyes when I see a post for another DBP RPG but I've been watching this one develop pretty much since I started with DBPro and this ones developing nicely.

Most usually aren't aware of the time and effort required to pull something like this together (or even something a tenth of the size and complexity), hence the number of RPG and MMORPGs that drop off the bottom of the boards never to be heard of again. However, I'm certain this is one thats going to see the light of day and we're all going to be playing at some point in the future.

I like the style based on what we've seen so far, also the attention to detail and the other little touches I can see will make it a Dark Basic classic (as will Soul hunter).

Timescale-wise, don't hurry it, take the time to get it just right. I doff my hat to your dedication and perserverence.

As to demo's - in my opinion they detract from the coding as its not just a case of hitting save and posting a demo release - they pretty much have to be programmed in parallel (with loose ends tied up) or divert the programmers attention from the all-important main code.

Good going, and nice one!
"

Thanks for the encouragements and support .

Quote: "I'm quite sure that Gil will be selling PoPR, I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread. But yeah with over 900 messages I'm sure you've got a good reason for not reading through!"

There will likely be a free version and a priced version, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Quote: "So, are there any updates on PoPR, Gil? You seem to be putting a lot into HP online- are you doing that for multiplayer practice for this game?"

Only some small things-I improved scripting a bit, made some of the world editing menus more readable (added highlighting and such), but nothing too impressive for most people.

Yes, most of my time recently has been put into HP Online, because it's much easier, more relaxing, and more satisfying (quicker results) to program a text game as opposed to a 3D game.

Quote: "I really hope this doesn't get canceled. I've been following it for such a long time!"

I don't plan on canceling it after putting so much work into it .

Every once in a while I'll be inspired to work on PoPR, but often I just have to force myself to work on it. Also, when I start out a project (like HP Online) I often devote all my time to it because I become obsessed with the idea, haha. Sorry to let everyone down by not working on it very much recently, but I just haven't found the motivation and have been distracted by other things and projects. Strangely, it's at the end of projects when I become least inclined to work on them. I think it's because I've done so much of it, but there is still so much to be done that it's overwhelming. Hopefully inspiration will come again soon (posts on here do help motivate me, even if just out of guilt, haha) and I'll get something done on it. Once again, sorry for the lack of progress lately (really all this year)!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 07:00
Yeah the last part of the project ironically is the longest and less satisfying (ironacally enought that you have "everything" working), there are so many little things that you get bored easily and overwhelmed.

I hope you put yourself on this and give the last shot to finish your game.
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 07:06
You want motivation? For every minute you don't work on this project, I kill a kitten.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 15:04
Or: for every minute you don't work on this, a line of PoPR code will be deleted. Better get cracking!

In all seriousness, though, I know how motivation can be difficult to "manufacture", and it must be doubly intimidating to work on something so big. But just don't let it fall by the wayside - I'm sure everyone's rooting for you.

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
This is one more post to add to your motivation. It would be good to see this game finished.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 04:34
Well, for motivation, you told me last year over IM that PoPR would be ready for my birthday which... It wasn't. Well my birthdays coming up again *cough* end of the month *cough* so that might motivate you?

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 05:06 Edited at: 9th Jul 2009 05:07
Here's some motivation: just get the damn thing to a playable stage and move on! We don't care when you make the final version, as long as we have something to play with in the meantime! Do you have writer's block? What is it?

EDIT: Text games SUCK.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 05:56
Quote: "Yeah the last part of the project ironically is the longest and less satisfying (ironacally enought that you have "everything" working), there are so many little things that you get bored easily and overwhelmed.

I hope you put yourself on this and give the last shot to finish your game. "

Yeah, it's all the little things together that add up to something quite big. I'll try and force myself to work on it this weekend .

Quote: "You want motivation? For every minute you don't work on this project, I kill a kitten."

Haha, go ahead, I don't like cats, just don't kill the puppies!

Quote: "In all seriousness, though, I know how motivation can be difficult to "manufacture", and it must be doubly intimidating to work on something so big. But just don't let it fall by the wayside - I'm sure everyone's rooting for you. "

Yeah, it is difficult taking on such a large project by myself, but I keep telling myself, if I've got this far, I can keep going.

Quote: "This is one more post to add to your motivation. It would be good to see this game finished. "

Thanks, yes, it will be very nice to see it finished, haha.

Quote: "Well, for motivation, you told me last year over IM that PoPR would be ready for my birthday which... It wasn't. Well my birthdays coming up again *cough* end of the month *cough* so that might motivate you?"

Haha, I seem to have conveniently forgotten that conversation . You'll be one of the first to get the game .

Quote: "Here's some motivation: just get the damn thing to a playable stage and move on! We don't care when you make the final version, as long as we have something to play with in the meantime!"

The "final version" is the playable stage. And no, I'm not going to release it before it's ready, or people will get tired of playing a crappy version of it before they got the full version.

Quote: "Do you have writer's block? What is it?"

Writers block with a 3D game that has no story yet? That makes sense. And I've already stated why I haven't worked on it-I just don't have inspiration to work on it very often, especially when I realize how much is left to do.

Quote: "EDIT: Text games SUCK.
"

Yes, insulting one of my other projects will certainly help my motivation to work on this one (/sarcasm). Just because you are one of those people too lazy or stupid to read and write (or rather, type) does not mean text games suck. They are no worse than 3D games in the same way a book is no worse than a movie, they are simply different mediums and are appealing for different reasons. Unfortunately many people look down on them because they have to actually read (God forbid) and use their imagination (again, God forbid) rather than just being shown exactly what happens.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 06:12
I just killed a puppy!

GilGalvanti.Motivation++;

Quote: "EDIT: Text games SUCK."

You suck.

i like orange
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 06:19
In response to Gil's long post... AWESOME! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Text games? Whatever... I will say text games with graphics versus console look - like graphics of a "old book" ..just the paper with the text overlaid or some such thing - perhaps options to view the text game console style or with some "touch ups" color options or "themes" for the "printed" (displayed pages) would be cool

that's how I'd do it....

as for motivation: I'm routing for you big guy! Go Gil Go Gil!
--Jason

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 06:26
Did I just insult Gil? Sorry for the mood swings, guys. Although-
Quote: "I just don't have inspiration to work on it very often, especially when I realize how much is left to do."

Yeah... Isn't that why you were asking for motivation in the first place? Well, if you need someone to prod you with a stick, holler.

WINNER list:
Latch
Thanks for the help!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 06:52
Quote: "I just killed a puppy!

GilGalvanti.Motivation++;
"

Oh noes! I will get working at once!

Quote: "In response to Gil's long post... AWESOME! LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

I'm confused

Quote: "
as for motivation: I'm routing for you big guy! Go Gil Go Gil!"

Hehe, thanks .

Quote: "Did I just insult Gil? Sorry for the mood swings, guys. Although-"

Hehe, no problem.

Quote: "Yeah... Isn't that why you were asking for motivation in the first place?"

Yes, but your post wasn't very motivational to me, haha .

Quote: "Well, if you need someone to prod you with a stick, holler."

Heh, will do.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 07:44
Yay! *prods Gil in the back with long branch*

WINNER list:
Latch
Thanks for the help!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 10:12
Honestly, no one has anything on Gil considering the amount of work and functionality he has in his game.

I've been watching your progress since the beginning and don't mind the wait for something of quality.

As for your Harry Potter MUD, I can't get enough of it.

Keep up the great work.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 14:43
Quote: "Text games SUCK."

The pictures are so much better in text games.

I too loved the HP MUD - although, of course, I'm still putting in my motivational poke for PoPR.

[Gil's motivation increased by 1]

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 17:15
Gil, young man, get back to work on this right now after you've completed HP Online for 95%.

Naah, just kidding there, take your time. I love both projects

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 18:11
I have problems with motivation too.. My suggestion is to work some amount of the game and then reward yourself.

In example when I've got core part of my engine done i will buy OpenPandora console where i will port my game btw too

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 20:04
I understand the motivation part in large projects, I suffer from it regularly. It especially occurs when I run into an indecipherable bug in a 3rd party plugin.

What I've found that helps for me (a little) is to make two checklists, a long-term one and a short-term one. Sometimes the desire to "check something off" the short-term list defeats my desire to go play a game or watch TV, and that something ends up getting done. Long-term list lets me know what is left (which is usually a lot!)

Good luck and hope you find some motivation soon!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 20:46 Edited at: 9th Jul 2009 20:48
I suffer from lack of motivation too, but I found a cure to it by writing or drawing ideas on a piece of paper. The ideas being things for the future, like at some point in the game I want a dragon to fall out of the sky and die smashing into the ground for no apparent reason. When I re-read this I look at the machanics of it, like for this to happen I need to make a trigger system which would need to be part of an event system which would require a script system. As more and more thoughts bloom I start to get motivation back.

Though it nice to have a break from time to time so i'm making puzzle game (though it's built off same engine as my RPG, it's fun coming up with something different for a change).

Quote: "Good luck and hope you find some motivation soon!"

Ditto

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:51:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:51:59