Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 17:26
Thanks! I should have taken a zoomed out picture for scale reference, I'll try and do that sometime later today. That island is about the size of 2x2 terrain segments. There are 10 segments in each meta terrain, and at the moment 5x5 meta terrains (which can be easily changed in an ini file), so the current size of the world is 50x50 terrain segments, meaning that island is only about 1/25 of the size of the world across and 1/625 of the total world.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 20:24
Outstanding work Gil, I know how much work is involved in making an RPG and I take my hat off to you for sticking with it. These new screens show that all the work you've put in is paying off big time.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 07:43 Edited at: 10th Aug 2011 07:46
Quote: "Outstanding work Gil, I know how much work is involved in making an RPG and I take my hat off to you for sticking with it. These new screens show that all the work you've put in is paying off big time."

Thanks, all the support has really helped me stay motivated .

Here's a few quick screens to show you the scale of the world. First is a quick island I made in about 30 seconds that is about the same size as the one in the screenshot above, but I didn't want to take the time to make it look nice. Next shows it relative to the meta terrain, and next shows it relative to the entire world (as of now, as I said above, all I have to do to change the size is change a variable defined in an .ini file). I'll probably see if I can fill that size world with content, and if I need more room (thinking I probably won't right now), I'll make it bigger.

I've left tiles as random colors so you can see the tiles that make up a meta terrain and then the meta terrains that have not been broken up.

Close Up

Meta Terrain

World (for now)

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 01:11
It's great to see that your still very busy with this long-term project! Keep up the awesome work!

Did you think about being able to position entire terrain tiles / meta terrains in your world space? That would free you from your grid layout, so you could have empty spaces between terrain tiles at no performance cost. You could then use these empty spaces for long sea travels or something. Just an idea...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 01:51 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 01:54
Quote: "It's great to see that your still very busy with this long-term project! Keep up the awesome work!"

Thanks!

Quote: "Did you think about being able to position entire terrain tiles / meta terrains in your world space? That would free you from your grid layout, so you could have empty spaces between terrain tiles at no performance cost. You could then use these empty spaces for long sea travels or something. Just an idea..."

Yeah, that's actually built into the LOD system for the terrains. If no terrain segments in a meta terrain have been edited, then the meta terrain remains a single plain. When you click on the terrain to edit it, the meta terrain you click on splits into 10x10 terrain segments (of size 1x1) that make up the meta terrain, and the specific terrain segment splits into a 64x64 terrain.

You can actually see all three levels in the above screenshots. The 4 terrain segments that the island crosses is textured, but then the other 96 terrain segments that make up that meta terrain are just a 1x1 plain (randomly colored for now, will be just a default texture eventually). Then you can see the 24 meta terrains that have not been edited are still just a single plain. Also, something you can't really see in the screenshots is that when you get a certain distance from a terrain it switches to a 16x16 grid that represents the 64x64 grid.

So all of this automatic LOD switching means that I can have a big world with a decent framerate.

EDIT: Just reread and saw that you seem to be talking about actually repositioning meta terrains. That is a good idea to consider as a future option, but I see a problem with it. At the moment the terrain editor is made so you can edit across meta-terrains. In other words, an island does not have to be confined to one meta terrain.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 20:25
Woooow.

Incredible work!

If you would need someone for some tests i'm always free.

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 23:40
This is one of the best looking WIPs on the board right now. Very impressive stuff good sir!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 02:40
Wow! It's great to see how this project is still coming along. I'm really excited about how this is developing and can't wait to see the world start taking shape!

Braude Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 16:48
Wow, Gil this gets ever more exciting. It's one of the only reasons I get back in DBPro everytime, I get thinking... I wonder how PoPR is coming along?

Lol, the map looks incredible, and I can't believe the size! I hope one day to be making quests and playing this!
Vitamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Any news on this? It looks really nice.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 00:24
Quote: "Woooow.

Incredible work!

If you would need someone for some tests i'm always free.
"

Thanks! I'll let you know .

Quote: "Wow! It's great to see how this project is still coming along. I'm really excited about how this is developing and can't wait to see the world start taking shape!"

Thank you, I can't either haha.

Quote: "Wow, Gil this gets ever more exciting. It's one of the only reasons I get back in DBPro everytime, I get thinking... I wonder how PoPR is coming along?

Lol, the map looks incredible, and I can't believe the size! I hope one day to be making quests and playing this!"

Thanks, I had/needed/wanted to stop working on it for a few months. Very busy semester at school so I didn't have much time to work on it the past few months. Hopefully I'll get some more time this semester and after I graduate to continue working on it.

Thanks for everyone's support in the project as bad as I am at consistently working on it!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2011 01:38
You guys have come so far! It looks fantastic!

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
www.msoa-game.com
www.facebook.com/malevolencegame
wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 07:33
Gil it's been a LONG time since i've talked to you on aim But it's looking great and i'm proud of you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:39:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:39:16