Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 03:50
heh, thanks. That's actually just for design purposes, the actual creation is done in the world editor, as you've seen .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 00:14
But it's a really good idea. I'm going to try that to make a 3d concept of the map for adventure 19.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 05:46 Edited at: 26th May 2007 06:30
Quote: "But it's a really good idea. I'm going to try that to make a 3d concept of the map for adventure 19."

Just make sure you draw straight lines on paper, that made it a bit hard for me at times .

Okay, good news and bad news. Not really that affects anyone but me really though, heh. Good news is I figured out that a bug that was causing a simple test quest to complete upon completion of the first trigger was actually caused by a bug in the trigger itself and not the quest system. The bad news is, I have no idea what is causing the bug itself. Ahh well, I guess no quests with the "playerGiveItem" trigger until it's fixed . Anyways, I'm rambling on about something nobody will care about, heh.

Nothing much to show visually, but the talk system and quest system are going much smoother than usual with new engines .

EDIT: Oh, and I'm still anxiously waiting for that email Darth Vader .

EDIT2: Fixed the bug . So the first small test of the quest system was a success! It's very simple, but should work for something larger. You talk to one NPC about the quest, he gives you a mallet to give to the other one, and when you give it to the other one, you complete the quest. Like I said, very basic, just to test, but large enough that it should be representative of any problems I should have had .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 06:06
Well the engine itself (not including the world editor) has now surpassed 4000 lines. To celebrate (well actually just because I think it's ready), I'm announcing Pirates of Port Royale's first video! Just as soon as I figure out how to make it. I tried Fraps, but the video sizes were about 400MB each, ridiculous. So I tried just importing them into Windows Movie Maker, which I would have to do to combine the 30 second segments together, only to find that it reduced the quality by about 75% where nothing was readable and even the crosshair didn't show up. Not to mention, in a whole 30 second clip it was more like 10 slides of screenshots because it was so jumpy, even though it never got below 30FPS while recording it. So, now I don't know of any alternatives, but as soon as I can find one (or you can suggest one), I have the content for the video all set up, and it includes:
-small example world with collision
-inventory system
-crafting system
-shop/trading system
-talk system
-small quest example
-character animation

So if anyone could me help out with finding a good, but free video maker, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 10:43
Fraps works great for me. I used to import them into Windows Movie Maker, now I use Vegas 5.0, but the end result is about the same. Just play with the export settings to get the quality that you want.

Come see the WIP!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 10:52
Use DivX Codec to export it The quality is perfect and file size drops to 15 megs.. Or use some MPEG exporters..

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 17:04 Edited at: 27th May 2007 17:24
Okay, thanks, I'll try them out and see what I can come up with .

EDIT: Okay, looks like I got it .
@Cash Curtis: Turns out movie maker does export them well, I was thinking that the quality it was showing within the program would be the same outside of it .

@TFCMR: I also downloaded DivX, and all of it works great except for, you guessed it, the Codec. It gives me the ubiquitous windows "This program has encountered a program" error when I try to start it up.

Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get a video up soon .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 18:16 Edited at: 27th May 2007 18:33
Alright, I usually wouldn't double post this soon after my last post, but since it's a big occasion, I will . So, here is PoPR's first video, showing a small world with collision, inventory, crafting, trade, talking, a small quest example, and character animation. I hope you like it . Let's see, might take me a minute to get it to work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3LLhszEvc

Watch it full screen, and you can at least barely make out the text.

EDIT: Gah, youtube quality is too low to read the text. I'll post it here as a temporary solution:
When I talk to the first guy, click on quests, then "Do you have anything I can do for you?", he says:
"Actually I do have something you could help me out with. I'm not good with crafting, but I need to deliver a mallet to my friend Jack Sparrow so he can fix a leak in his roof. If I give you the required materials, could you craft one for me and give it to him? I've got something I'll give you in return."

When you return, he says, "Great, thanks. Here's an old axe I have for you."

I'll try to find an alternate higher quality site in the mean time.

EDIT: Tried google video, but the quality is even worse :S. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 18:55
Glad you figured it out. WMV is a good format, small files and high quality. Plus, everyone can watch them.

The Youtube video was good quality, just small. All I can say is make your text bigger. If you do find a free streaming video service like Youtube but with bigger videos, they'll be harder to watch. If you go the route of posting your high quality WMVs, far fewer people will watch the videos. Youtube is ideal for this kind of thing.

Looking nice, keep up the good work. All that I can say about the system so far is that some supporting animations would be good, like talking and idle. Also the characters should face the player when talking, but that's easy and you've probably already done that.

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 20:33
Alright, thanks for the comments . I'll make the text larger in game.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 21:44
The video looks top notch

Great job!

I would say though, make the NPC turn to you when your talking to him.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 05:27 Edited at: 28th May 2007 21:10
Thanks . Yeah, I'll get the NPC to turn, should only take about 5 minutes, easy fix . I'm going to repost the link to the video here, because it's a new page and I don't want those who just click "last page" to miss it. I've enlarged the text size so it should be easier to read in game and in future videos. I'll probably remake this video with some minor changes (new crosshair, bigger text, npc faces you when talking, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8__JKOc8o

Watch it full screen, and you can at least barely make out the text.

YouTube quality is too low to read the text. I'll post it here as a temporary solution:
When I talk to the first guy, click on quests, then "Do you have anything I can do for you?", he says:
"Actually I do have something you could help me out with. I'm not good with crafting, but I need to deliver a mallet to my friend Jack Sparrow so he can fix a leak in his roof. If I give you the required materials, could you craft one for me and give it to him? I've got something I'll give you in return."

When you return, he says, "Great, thanks. Here's an old axe I have for you."

I'll try to find an alternate higher quality site in the mean time.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 05:47
Looks really good. From the vid, not sure if it's because of your video capture or because of actual gameplay, but you need to speed it up a little bit. Speed up the character speed and the NPC speeds. Right now they look really sluggish, maybe too much RUM. lol

Other then that, it's looking top notch.

MOONDOG

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 07:32
Quote: "

Posted: 27th May 2007 21:47 toggle
Looks really good. From the vid, not sure if it's because of your video capture or because of actual gameplay, but you need to speed it up a little bit. Speed up the character speed and the NPC speeds. Right now they look really sluggish, maybe too much RUM. lol
"

Thanks .
The video is recorded at 30FPS, but the actual games runs at a steady 65FPS, so the actual speeds are good .

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 08:32
Looks really cool.

It looks like the game engine isn't ignoring the mouse moves that are done while selecting things from the GUI. The camera jumps in random directions once you're done with a task. Just something to think about.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 14:41
Or just upload it somewhere so u can download it

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 16:49
Gil, I would like to say, I can see this game going far.

It is going a bit slowly though, and well, I don't wanna see this game go down the drain.

So I wanna join the team if I can. I've quit everything else so I can work on my MMO, but I really wanna help on this

I can program, model, animate, make some graphics, make music, whatever. I just wanna help!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 16:52
tiresius said what I was going to point out!
Looks fantastic! Can't wait for a demo! Sent you that email, sorry it took a while I've had a cold!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 18:09
Quote: "It looks like the game engine isn't ignoring the mouse moves that are done while selecting things from the GUI. The camera jumps in random directions once you're done with a task. Just something to think about."

Yup, I noticed the same thing and fixed it last night .

Quote: "Or just upload it somewhere so u can download it "

Well I'm afraid that will make fewer people watch it .

Quote: "So I wanna join the team if I can. I've quit everything else so I can work on my MMO, but I really wanna help on this "

Great, I'd love for you to . I'll email you at the email you have posted if that is the correct email.

Quote: "Looks fantastic! Can't wait for a demo! Sent you that email, sorry it took a while I've had a cold!"

Thanks, I'll check and respond now .

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 18:23
If you've sent an e-mail to rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com (which is the correct e-mail address), then it might be slow, I haven't gotten it yet.

Just making sure

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 18:42 Edited at: 28th May 2007 19:21
Quote: "If you've sent an e-mail to rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com (which is the correct e-mail address), then it might be slow, I haven't gotten it yet."

Nope, not yet, sorry, working on Darth Vader's first .

EDIT: Okay, sent emails to both of you.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 21:02 Edited at: 28th May 2007 21:03
Okay, I've remade the first video with a new crosshair, larger text, camera not moving after you close UI's, NPC's facing you when talking, and a few other minor fixes. It's practically the same video with just some changes to it . Here it is:

Watch it full screen and you can read the words.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 22:07
Looks great

I sent an e-mail back, thanks!

The music is a bit repetitive, but it is piratey.

I like the voices, its cool. I forgot all about voices in games

The system is really nice, good job!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 22:41
Thanks
Quote: "The music is a bit repetitive, but it is piratey."

Yeah, the music right now is just some that came with DBC that I still have. I doubt I'll use it as the final music .

I'll be leaving for the beach tomorrow morning until Saturday, so I won't be around to answer questions or email until then after this afternoon.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 19:46
K, back, I've got a few more crafts now, and am working on more. I've added:
-handcuffs
-chain
-crowbar
-dagger

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 13:59
Sorry to tell you thatI lost my PC a while back. Worked fine one day then the next...KAPUT! I've lost all my data; about 5 years of coding, music etc. so I'm pretty upset about it. Really sorry but that means I've got no real way of helping code wise now because I have only very rare access to a PC and no time to really code. If I can help with any theory or snippets then I will but in terms of a full app I'm afraid I'm out.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 17:52
Quote: "Sorry to tell you thatI lost my PC a while back. Worked fine one day then the next...KAPUT! I've lost all my data; about 5 years of coding, music etc. so I'm pretty upset about it. Really sorry but that means I've got no real way of helping code wise now because I have only very rare access to a PC and no time to really code. If I can help with any theory or snippets then I will but in terms of a full app I'm afraid I'm out."

Wow, that sucks . Yeah, no problem, doesn't look like you have any other choice . Thanks for the offer to help, and good luck getting back on your feet again after losing everything.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 01:03
I've made quite a bit of progress today and yesterday.

There are now three trees available to use in the world, made with the free version of TreeMagik. Although they aren't the best quality, they're better than nothing, and I'd rather not have the prettiest trees and a good framerate (about 120FPS in the shot I'll show you, if I don't cap it at 60). Also, I've made a fairly large cottage you can see in the screenshot as well. You can also now scale objects easily in the world editor, as you may notice by the different tree sizes in the screenshot. Here's a screenshot just showing an arrangement of objects and the new objects in the world editor:

The crafting system has improved in the world editor, now with 11 crafts and counting. Other objects can also be used as components for other crafts. For example, a pair of irons (handcuffs) requires some metal for the loops for the hands, as well as a chain to attach. So you have to craft a chain and then use that to craft handcuffs. Also, certain tools are now required to create objects, for example, to make a mallet, you might need a mallet to shape the metal and a knife to carve the wood. The player also has to have a certain skill level to craft certain items, depending on how complicated they are to make.

I've also drastically improved the framerate while using interfaces by using sprites instead of text for large letters, so now there is a consistent text size throughout the entire engine (which is larger than in the previous video, so you should be able to see it), requiring the "set text size" command, which drastically decreases the FPS, only once.

I've added "prompts" (up to 10 at a time) in the top left hand corner, for things such as "NPC x gave you item y" and "You dropped item x".

Loading and saving in the world editor now works. It worked before, but I had changed so much that it didn't work anymore, so I rewrote it, and haven't had any problems with it.

Lastly, I fixed a bug with the move system and a bug with equipping items, so both work fine now.

As you can see, development is speeding up, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. After the combat engine is complete, all major engines will be functional, and the game will be much closer to completion, or at least a demo. I don't want to promise anything, but I'm thinking that this may be ready for a demo at the end of the summer if the speed of development keeps with it's current pace . Comments and criticism welcome, as always .

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 01:58
Thats quite a bit of progress! You should feel very accomplished!

You're doing really great with this game. Its going exactly the direction I want to see it going, and I'll work on more of those models from that list you gave me. I'm going to try and put as much effort as you to make this game amazing

Keep up the great work. Even if you don't get a lot of comments, don't get your motivation crushed

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 03:01
Awesome, this is sounding ten times more amazing then when I first saw it. I'm guessing you'll be able to become a black smith for a living and craft some awesome stuff? Don't worry about the trees, they actually fit in with the rest of the buildings.

Keep up the awesome work!

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 04:06 Edited at: 4th Jun 2007 04:07
Hey this looks/sounds awesome! great work on the game man, one day I will be able to code like that !
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 04:29
Quote: "I'm guessing you'll be able to become a black smith for a living and craft some awesome stuff?"

Yup . I'm planning five professions for the first demo, but have about 20 others listed as possibilities in the future. The most likely ones for the first demo are blacksmith, doctor, lawyer, governor, and soldier. Each of these will have professions "quests", which are just jobs related to the profession. You may be thinking, "what about pirate?". Well, pirate isn't considered a profession, it's like saying a thief is a profession today. While they aren't really considered a profession, but everything you'd need to be a pirate, ships, fighting, stealing, etc. will all be there for you .

Quote: "Don't worry about the trees, they actually fit in with the rest of the buildings.
"

Thanks .

Quote: "Hey this looks/sounds awesome! great work on the game man, one day I will be able to code like that !"

Thanks for the encouragement .

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 14:02 Edited at: 4th Jun 2007 14:02
I still remember when you were still thinking of a name for this game, you wanted it to kinf of be like pirates of the caribbean if I remember correctly, then the name formed.

This game has come so far since then its pretty cool to watch it develop.

I like my sig.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 18:20
Quote: "I still remember when you were still thinking of a name for this game, you wanted it to kinf of be like pirates of the caribbean if I remember correctly, then the name formed."

Yup, lol, I was actually just looking over that thread the other day just for fun .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 19:18
Adding those trees in makes a huge visual difference. I also watched your videos and one thing annoyed me with them, when they said 'hello' they wouldn't be looking at you, they could be facing the other way. I know you have a lot to do, and that is something that is probably on the bottom of your 'todo' list. The interface has come a long ways though, I think you are doing great work.

Visit the Wip!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 19:49
This game looks pretty good so far, but do you plan on adding any sort of lighting to the game? Right now it looks like the game could use a little more lighting, in my opinion.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 21:10
Quote: "Adding those trees in makes a huge visual difference. I also watched your videos and one thing annoyed me with them, when they said 'hello' they wouldn't be looking at you, they could be facing the other way. I know you have a lot to do, and that is something that is probably on the bottom of your 'todo' list. The interface has come a long ways though, I think you are doing great work."

yeah he fixed that. Click here to view the updated video when they actually look at you=
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 21:20 Edited at: 4th Jun 2007 21:23
Quote: "Adding those trees in makes a huge visual difference. I also watched your videos and one thing annoyed me with them, when they said 'hello' they wouldn't be looking at you, they could be facing the other way. I know you have a lot to do, and that is something that is probably on the bottom of your 'todo' list. The interface has come a long ways though, I think you are doing great work."

Yup, as Game King said, the remake of the video has that fixed, as well as a few other things .

Quote: "This game looks pretty good so far, but do you plan on adding any sort of lighting to the game? Right now it looks like the game could use a little more lighting, in my opinion."

At some point I plan on adding lighting, but right now that is not towards the top of my to do list. The problem is, because there is not a single set world, and it can be made and modified however in the world editor, I can't simply do a lightmapped level in a world builder like you would with an FPS .

EDIT: I'll try to get another video out soon.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 21:50
Quote: " I'll try to get another video out soon"

great !
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 08:44
This is looking really good! But I want to ask a question. This being a pirate game I haven't noticed anything 'ship' related, We haven't even seen any water? Are you holding these 2 items a secret?
Anyway it works out I'm sure it'll be great!
Can't wait for your end of summer!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 12:47
I still feel that on the screenshots of the talking system it should be 'Neutral' instead of 'Nuetral'.

Starting to look better and better, and that quest system is awesome, absolutely. It reminds me of the StarCraft Map Editor which used exactly that setup - and that worked great!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 17:48
Quote: "This is looking really good! But I want to ask a question. This being a pirate game I haven't noticed anything 'ship' related, We haven't even seen any water? Are you holding these 2 items a secret?"

Don't worry, they will definitely be there . The ships will be treated like buildings with an interior and exterior, only you can move them. I have one of our modelers working on making one right now.

Quote: "I still feel that on the screenshots of the talking system it should be 'Neutral' instead of 'Nuetral'.
"

Ah, you're right, easy fix .

Quote: "Starting to look better and better, and that quest system is awesome, absolutely. It reminds me of the StarCraft Map Editor which used exactly that setup - and that worked great!"

Thanks, never played Starcraft so hopefully their Map Editor was a success .

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe a ship creator would be cool, also do you have a link to that old thread? If you do could you post it? I havent seen it in awhile.

I like my sig.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 05:30
Maybe you could have a profession as a ship builder! The person then gets to create their own ships and sell them. Maybe you could even allow them to export them and share them through the Pirates of Port Royale community! That would be so cool!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 06:18
Quote: "Maybe a ship creator would be cool, also do you have a link to that old thread? If you do could you post it? I havent seen it in awhile."

Yeah, that might be a good idea. Possibly a bit too large an undertaking for the first demo, but I'll keep it in mind for the future .

And here's the old thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=45753&b=8
Kind of embarrassing really .

Quote: "Maybe you could have a profession as a ship builder! The person then gets to create their own ships and sell them. Maybe you could even allow them to export them and share them through the Pirates of Port Royale community! That would be so cool!"

I'm one step ahead of you with the shipbuilder profession part, I've already planned that as a future profession, just not for now .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 07:40
Double posting because I have important news.

Introducing Pirates of Port Royale's second video! .

It features equipping items, new quest, a new small map, new crafts, trees, and a few other surprises I haven't said anything about yet, but personally am quite excited about . Note that any slow downs in the video are only because of recording with fraps, the game keeps a constant 65FPS in game. I hope you like it . I'd appreciate comments and/or criticism, please be picky, it makes the game better in the end .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBmZ7OzFZwE

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ehh, its waaay to plain, the trees texture mapping is all wrong and there are creases everywhere. I think some terrain would add some good and, why is the axe head square?

I like my sig.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 17:13
Quote: "Ehh, its waaay to plain, the trees texture mapping is all wrong and there are creases everywhere."

Because they are made with TreeMagik, and that's how it makes them, so I can't really do anything about it with the current software I have .

Quote: "why is the axe head square?"

So it's low poly . As I said, gameplay before graphics. As long as you can tell what something is, I don't really care how pretty it is. I'd rather have a crappy looking game than a slow and unplayable one .

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 17:25
The video looked cool. Lots of gameplay appears to have been integrated

Not to criticize, of course, but a higher poly axe (and other equipable items) would improve the look of the game. A higher poly static mesh like that wouldn't even affect your framerate. Personally, as a rule of thumb, I'm willing to spare more polygons for something that the player will be seeing a lot of.

Look forward to seeing more!

Come see the WIP!
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 17:26
The movie looked very good. It would be nice if in the shop when you were buying the "buy" tab on top would be lit up, and when you were selling the "sell" tab would light up. As of right now it is herd to tell if you are buying or selling in the shop.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:10:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:10:22