Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 07:12
awesome Gil, ive been following your thread for a while and ive seen nothing but good work Keep it up!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 07:29
Quote: "The cannon was really cool. It makes me want to add a cannon to Geisha House Since Ultima had them I could totally justify it."

Lol, don't worry, GH is awesome even without cannons .

Quote: "Quote: "And since the objects are just positioned at a very far distance away (1,000,000 units high, where your camera height is 150, about 7.5 miles high if you're 6ft), they aren't in the screen to take up poly's, and therefore FPS, when you're not in them."
Excluding them would be quicker than moving them."

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "exluding" objects . If you're talking about in some way hiding all surrounding objects, wouldn't it take longer to do that?

Quote: "awesome Gil, ive been following your thread for a while and ive seen nothing but good work Keep it up!"

Thanks, glad to hear that .

Thanks for all of the positive responses so far, it encourages me to put more into PoPR than I already do .

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 08:16
Oh, I see, the player is transported to the location of the interior, right?

Well, that changes things. But, are all the interiors in sight of each other at that height? If that's the case then the others are still getting rendered even though you can't see them.

The 'Exclude Object On' command totally skips the draw call until you use 'Exclude Object Off'. This would be great for your interiors that you aren't inside.

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 20:12
Quote: "Oh, I see, the player is transported to the location of the interior, right?"

Yup, the player is just teleported to inside whichever interior he walks into.

Quote: "Well, that changes things. But, are all the interiors in sight of each other at that height? If that's the case then the others are still getting rendered even though you can't see them."

No, they are spaced far enough apart so they aren't rendered when you are in another one .

Quote: "The 'Exclude Object On' command totally skips the draw call until you use 'Exclude Object Off'. This would be great for your interiors that you aren't inside."

Ahh ok, I may find another use for that command, I didn't know about it. Thanks .

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 05:23
Just watched the latest video it looks great totally loving the cannon I can see ships being blasted to bits as you try to defend the town against attacks from pirates. Keep up the good work.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 05:39
Thanks .

Quote: "I can see ships being blasted to bits as you try to defend the town against attacks from pirates."

Unless you want to be on the side that's attacking the town that is .

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 05:50 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 05:57
I'm totally on the side of Jack Sparrow
Lets see some of those Port Royale buildings get ruined. I made some buildings a while back which may fit into your setting feel free to use if you think they will work.
http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=874257
They are quite large so you'll need to scale them down to your project size.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 15:32
Very nice! Can you show a video of the pirates blasting the town?

I think the music's a bit repetitive though. Unless it's just a placeholder I would change it up a bit so it doesn't sound like the same note sequences over and over again.

You never really know a person until you look at their google autocomplete entries.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Gil... i've loosely followed your progress with this, and it seems as if you are really serious about this project...

it's coming along well... but the first thing i notice is that all of the scenery elements appear 'flat'...

for starters... try adding a directional light to one of your scenes, turn down the ambient lighting just a lil, and i'm sure you'll notice a big difference... things will start to look more 3Dish...

for other parts of the scene, you might consider a lil lightmapping as well...

i don't wanna mess with the style you're trying to set, so by all means feel free to ignore these suggestions if they do make things too much different from what you had in mind...

good luck with this...

--Mike
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 17:17
I like the new video Lots of progress since I last checked. One question though. Is the music permanent? You may want to change it as it is a little repetitive. Not to insult it or anything.

Anyway everything else looks great! I like how you laid the town out.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 20:50
Quote: "I'm totally on the side of Jack Sparrow
Lets see some of those Port Royale buildings get ruined. I made some buildings a while back which may fit into your setting feel free to use if you think they will work.
http://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/?i=874257
They are quite large so you'll need to scale them down to your project size."

Great, thanks! .

Quote: "Very nice! Can you show a video of the pirates blasting the town?

I think the music's a bit repetitive though. Unless it's just a placeholder I would change it up a bit so it doesn't sound like the same note sequences over and over again."

As for the pirates blasting the town, that might be a possibility in a while, but for now cannon's don't destroy anything and there is no ocean to blast from . For the music, it is a placeholder that came with DBC or DBP, can't remember which.

Quote: "Gil... i've loosely followed your progress with this, and it seems as if you are really serious about this project...

it's coming along well... but the first thing i notice is that all of the scenery elements appear 'flat'...

for starters... try adding a directional light to one of your scenes, turn down the ambient lighting just a lil, and i'm sure you'll notice a big difference... things will start to look more 3Dish...

for other parts of the scene, you might consider a lil lightmapping as well...

i don't wanna mess with the style you're trying to set, so by all means feel free to ignore these suggestions if they do make things too much different from what you had in mind...

good luck with this...
"

Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem is, the world is created with my world editor, and therefore not a static level that can be pre-lightmapped, so until I find a fast and easy way to lightmap changeable worlds, I've decided not to mess with lighting .

Quote: "I like the new video Lots of progress since I last checked. One question though. Is the music permanent? You may want to change it as it is a little repetitive. Not to insult it or anything.

Anyway everything else looks great! I like how you laid the town out."

Thanks . No, the music is a temporary placeholder . As for the town, for the video's lately I have tried to lay them out in a circular pattern, so you can look any direction and see something, but the town I have now is only temporary to test and create the engines in .

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 20:54
Quote: " so until I find a fast and easy way to lightmap changeable worlds, I've decided not to mess with lighting"

Check out DarkLights. Before you export your final buildings in your editor you can lightmap everything. If anyone else uses your editor they can do the same thing.

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 21:27 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 21:28
Quote: "Check out DarkLights. Before you export your final buildings in your editor you can lightmap everything. If anyone else uses your editor they can do the same thing."

I've thought about that before, so maybe I'll try the demo if there is one and see how it goes . Another problem though is that the shadows should change with the time of day, so I'm not sure how to accomplish that without exporting 4-6 different maps with different shadows. Unless I could change the position of those lights within the engine while playing?

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:37
Wow, so many great projects in the works. Sorry I didn't see this earlier! The item interaction is really cool. I hope you add a lot more to it. Be cool to truly interact with your environment. What other objects do you plan on making as interactive as the cannon? That be something if you could go into a blacksmith hut and forge your own weapons Or build a raft / ship...our guns going to be setup this way? lol, that would take some skill and speed.

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:51 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 23:53
Quote: "Wow, so many great projects in the works. Sorry I didn't see this earlier! The item interaction is really cool. I hope you add a lot more to it. Be cool to truly interact with your environment. What other objects do you plan on making as interactive as the cannon? That be something if you could go into a blacksmith hut and forge your own weapons Or build a raft / ship...our guns going to be setup this way? lol, that would take some skill and speed."

Thanks. I plan on having almost anything that's feasible interactive . Almost all smaller objects, as you've seen, are interactive. I don't know if you saw the first three video's but they have more things, like cutting trees and mining stone .

EDIT: By the way, I think I'll add writing in books and on parchment for my next mini-project, since I already have the base code for it.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 03:23
@Gil Galvanti -
If time of day is a concern for you, just lightmap the buildings from directly above. Then it won't be so noticable and will still look good. Lightmapping does wonders for a model.

Come see the WIP!
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the cannon, but I seriously think you should have to ram it from the front. (cough)

It looks really good Gil, I think this project will take you a long time but I really wish you the best of luck with it!

If you want, I can help you with some media creation (just don't ask me to animate!) I have been dying to make some media that is not for my current project. E-mail me and your wish is my command!

Oh, and I don't think Red Oktober was talking about lightmapping at all. He is talking about about DBPro's native lighting system. I agree with him when he says you would benefit from reducing the ambient light a tad.

Tonnes of progress since I last checked, you really are tireless! Keep up the great work!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 23:11
Quote: "I love the cannon, but I seriously think you should have to ram it from the front. (cough)"

Yeah, me too, don't worry, I plan on doing that .

Quote: "It looks really good Gil, I think this project will take you a long time but I really wish you the best of luck with it!"

Thanks .

Quote: "If you want, I can help you with some media creation (just don't ask me to animate!) I have been dying to make some media that is not for my current project. E-mail me and your wish is my command!"

Great, if I think of anything I need, I'll be sure to email you .

Quote: "Oh, and I don't think Red Oktober was talking about lightmapping at all. He is talking about about DBPro's native lighting system. I agree with him when he says you would benefit from reducing the ambient light a tad."

Ahh, okay, I might play with that a bit and see if I can make it look better .

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 02:46 Edited at: 4th Jul 2007 02:55
tried to upload a movie of the walking animation of the pirate toon but it didn't work

maybe later
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 03:05
Heh, I noticed, I happened to check it at 6:53 . Anyways, glad to hear from you. By the way, videos on youtube take a while to upload sometimes, to repost it when it says it's done .

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 03:43
i don't think it likes my .avi created by Fraps....

gonna try to upload to youtube one more time, anyway I sent you a copy of the .x model w/walking animation...
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 04:25
Great, thanks .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 01:01
I've made a new short video. This one just shows the new writing system. It's mostly done, with a few changes and fixes I need to make. It's sped up double time just to make it shorter and to compensate for the lower FPS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AGa3RlOEkk

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 02:20
Wow, that's a pretty awesome idea. Lookin' good.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 03:16
It looks good, but may I ask, what's the use?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 04:46
Quote: "Wow, that's a pretty awesome idea. Lookin' good."

Thanks .

Quote: "It looks good, but may I ask, what's the use?"

Taking notes, drawing maps, whatever you want. It's not a necessary feature, and not everyone will want it, but some people might use it . It's not needed to do anything, so you don't have to use it if you don't want .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 05:02
That is really cool It is funny how much work goes into something as simple as adding pages to a book and displaying it. I plan on having something similar in my game that I am working on.

I like your idea about drawing maps. I really like it in fact, I might steal it

Good work Gil, keep it up!

Visit the Wip!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 07:51
That is a good idea, and it looks well implemented. In Ultima Online you could write books like that. In an RPG it could be really cool, writing books like that. It's nice to have an in game note taking system that isn't just a turd of a HUD.

Keep up the good work

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 08:02
Quote: "That is really cool "

Thanks, glad to get such a good response for it .

Quote: "It is funny how much work goes into something as simple as adding pages to a book and displaying it."

Yeah, lol . Fortunately I plan on using the PoPR Engine for at least a few more games. I am beginning the design phase of a Roman Empire RPG based on the PoPR Engine. By using the same engine, it would only require changing all of the visuals and quests, but still being able to use the same engines, taking a lot of work off of the projects . Of course I would probably make a few tweaks and possibly add a few things, but the base engines would be the same.

Quote: "I like your idea about drawing maps. I really like it in fact, I might steal it
"

Lol, feel free to . I am planning on having drawing in it. I already am trying one method, but that method is turning out not to be very effective, so ineffective that I think it would be impossible to use. So unless I find another way, I may just have to take that feature out for now.

Quote: "That is a good idea, and it looks well implemented. In Ultima Online you could write books like that. In an RPG it could be really cool, writing books like that. It's nice to have an in game note taking system that isn't just a turd of a HUD."

Thanks . I've never played Ultima Online, but heard it referred to a lot, it sounds like a great game. Yeah, I've found myself wanting to be able to write in books and on paper in games like Oblivion before, so I figured, why not? It's only taken me about 2 days to implement, so it wasn't very hard. I would have needed half of it to use for just reading books anyways. You could write things like where good resources are, or what time an NPC does something (if you were stalking them for whatever reason, lol, maybe to kill them), or what you traded and when, whatever you wanted. I've even thought about, when I add statistics for items, if you make them out of a certain type of wood and metal it would make them stronger, but you wouldn't be told, just something to figure out, so you could write stuff like that down. Like I said, not everyone will want to use it, but no one has to if they don't want to .

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 12:11
Wow! You're such a good programmer, Gil!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 12:55
Quote: "I've even thought about, when I add statistics for items, if you make them out of a certain type of wood and metal it would make them stronger, but you wouldn't be told, just something to figure out, so you could write stuff like that down. Like I said, not everyone will want to use it, but no one has to if they don't want to ."

Now THAT is the type of idea I like .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 17:37
Quote: "Wow! You're such a good programmer, Gil!"

Thanks, I still have a lot to learn though, and even getting this far has taken 3 years of programming almost every day .

Quote: "Now THAT is the type of idea I like ."

Thanks, glad you like it, I was afraid it would be too..."technical" or complicated for some people to want .

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 19:34 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 19:34
Those last two vids are amazing! This is really shaping up into an awesome project!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:11
Quote: "Those last two vids are amazing! This is really shaping up into an awesome project!"

Thanks . I posted an estimated percentages complete in the first post but I'll repost here:

Movement-100%
Inventory-90%
Crafting-90%
Collision-90%
Trading-85%
Talk-75%
World Editor-70%
Quest-50%
Save/Load/Importing-40%
Interaction-20%
AI-10%
Combat-10%

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:23
Wow this is really coming along, I likes the town Keep it up Gil!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 07:33
Quote: "Wow this is really coming along, I likes the town Keep it up Gil!"

Thanks, like I said, the town that's in the video's is only temporary for testing purposes, but using the same models the real one will use .

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 09:51
Oh ok, well its still awesome anyways

Blue Rogue
Years of Service
User Offline
just watched the vids and good work! I love pirate themed things. A nice touch I think was the resource gathering and crafting side of things.

good work!
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
w00t! So how close would you say it is to being demo ready? Ive been wanting to play this for over a year, im serious.

I like my sig.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 03:37
Heh heh.. I wonder when i can go blast things up with that cannon

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 08:21
Quote: "w00t! So how close would you say it is to being demo ready? Ive been wanting to play this for over a year, im serious."

No definite timeframe, but I've layed out a planned schedule (you know how well those go) for New Age Games until Q4 2008 by quarters, and have PoPR's first demo release in Q4 2007, so I'm hoping by this Christmas . I know that sounds like a long time, but after working on it for 4 years, it's actually not really .

Quote: "Heh heh.. I wonder when i can go blast things up with that cannon "

Heh, yeah, you could buy a ship and blast the town .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 19:33
I'll be gone until next friday, so don't expect any updates for a while . I'm starting work on ships next though.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 19:53
I am excited to see the ships! Those will be fun to add in I am sure. I know I have taken longer than expected on my release of WeedWorks, I will have it finished before you get back

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 00:48
Okay, I'm back. I've been back for a few days but I had to go into isolation to read the 7th Harry Potter book . Also, the forums just started working for me, they didn't work all weekend . Anyways, I'll probably be working on ships for a while now.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 01:13
Haha, been reading that book myself.

This game looks like fun. Can't wait to play it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 01:39
Book was great, epilogue not. Some things really went too fast for me.

Progress update soon, I guess?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 02:17
Please write something about your engine/game on our new wiki

http://www.DarkBIBLE.co.nr

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 03:06
Hey Gil, I need to know what you need me to do. Iv started the combat system but i need to know more details.

Load Programmer "Crazy Programmer",1
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 04:39
Quote: "This game looks like fun. Can't wait to play it."

Thanks .

Quote: "Book was great, epilogue not. Some things really went too fast for me.

Progress update soon, I guess?"

Yeah, that's what I thought too. As for the progress, I'll try to get one ASAP, but after being gone for a week and then spending all my waking hours reading Harry Potter for 3 days, I don't know how long that will be .

Quote: "Please write something about your engine/game on our new wiki"

Alright, I'll check it out and see if I can add something .

Quote: "Hey Gil, I need to know what you need me to do. Iv started the combat system but i need to know more details."

Great, I've emailed you with more info .

Crazy Programmer is our new team member who will be doing the combat engine for now. Glad to have him .

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 04:55
this gane us looking really goood. i just watched the vids prety nice man.

haha lets rock this world.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:14:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:14:16