Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 00:56
Quote: "Okay so I'm a little confused, if someone could enlighten me a littel that would be great! What exactly is the engine?"

The game engine is the general term used to describe everything mechanical in the game, like Satchmo said. It doesn't have to do with graphical, and any decent engine can easily have new additions or replacements graphically. It can used to build other games as well, but with the same style and mechanics. For example, I'm planning on possibly creating a Roman RPG based on the PoPR Engine eventually, which means that most features of the game (how things work: inventory, crafting, trading, talking, movement, etc.) will be very close to PoPR, while the content of the game will be completely different (quests, world, buildings, npc's, etc.).

Quote: "Or do you make the game maps, add the player and the enemies, set their AI state, set their collision and how it reacts to the world and then set the graphical details to them?"

No, maps, player, and enemies are all part of the content, not the engine. The engine is how everything is handled, the content is what is handled .

Quote: "If thats the case could the Game engine be, really, an advanced map editor?"

No, that's what the world editor is for...visually creating the world .

Quote: "Also will the game engine handle, according to what and when you set it to, the cut-scenes and triggered events?"

The engine will handle how the cut-scenes and events work, but the content will be what the actual cut-scenes and triggered events are . Make any sense now?

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 01:54 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 01:55
Quote: "The engine is how everything is handled, the content is what is handled"
That explained it best! Thanks Gil.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 11:06
Okay I now understand how the engine handles the content, but was wondering one more question, how is it layed out? I mean is it a GUI program were you load the maps into and set the parameters for? For example, I load 3 maps will all the NPC's and stuff do I then have to go through it all set the AI state for the NPC's the player I have to give control to the user and the items I set their 'script'. Or is the engine hard coded so that everytime I use it I have to re-code a few bits of it?

If you have an example or know of a youtube video that could show me a little better that would be a real big help!
Thanks!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 17:48
Quote: "Okay I now understand how the engine handles the content, but was wondering one more question, how is it layed out? I mean is it a GUI program were you load the maps into and set the parameters for? For example, I load 3 maps will all the NPC's and stuff do I then have to go through it all set the AI state for the NPC's the player I have to give control to the user and the items I set their 'script'. Or is the engine hard coded so that everytime I use it I have to re-code a few bits of it?"

Sorry, I'm confused on what exactly you're asking . How is what laid out? The world editor is a graphical program where you load objects and place them and define their properties to make a map. What do you mean the AI state, give control to the user, and item scripts? You shouldn't have to recode anything unless you want to change the underlying mechanics, everything else should be doable in the world editor . I'd be glad to answer the other questions if you just clarify a bit .

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:05 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 18:06
I think he meant AI, Item, NPC and object properties. Like scaling, change damage or something else. If you can do it in the editor or if you have to recode the items to give them the wanted properties.

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:09
Quote: "I think he meant AI, Item, NPC and object properties. Like scaling, change damage or something else. If you can do it in the editor or if you have to recode the items to give them the wanted properties."

Ahh, well if that's what he means, you can do it all in the editor . The engine is what it does with the properties and such you give it, the content is what those properties and such are .

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 18:17
I'll help you out here Darth . Note that I'm extremely tired, not having slept in a very long time, so please excuse me if I misread your question or if I didn't get what you're asking. This is a really simplistic explanation of how a game's engine works:

An engine is a block of source code that runs repeatedly in a loop. Say you have a first person shooter game... your engine would call subroutines and functions to control the display, audio, user input, AI, etc., and once it processes all of the necessary data, it repeats, again and again and again until it isn't needed anymore. For instance, let's say I was printing "Hello World" to the screen a thousand times. I could do this the long, boring, obnoxious way...

or I could use a loop...

Really, that loop, as simple as it is, is an "engine" for a "Hello World" program. In a proper game though, the engine is much more complicated than that of course.

Some "engines" are proper game builders, like FPSC. It's called an engine, but it's a different type of engine. These types of engines usually have a bunch of features and might include a map editor or full game builder, but usually also include source code so developers can alter the actual code engine and make the game-builder engine do various things. It's a bit confusing with two different definitions of "engine" floating around but hopefully you get what I mean. Or maybe you already knew what I mean and I misread your question, hehe.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 02:19
Thanks Matt and sorry Gil that my question wasn't clear! What I mean is in the simplest way possible. I understand now that the Engine handles the content of the game but what does the Engine look like?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 02:51 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 02:53
Quote: "I understand now that the Engine handles the content of the game but what does the Engine look like?"

The engine doesn't look like anything, lol, the engine is just all of the code in the game, which is what tells things how to act . Here's an example that reads which exterior door marker you are in.

So, as you can see, it tells the code what to do when you get in a door and the content is what and where those buildings/doors are. It's just a general name for the code that controls how everything is handled . If you want more info or me to teach you more about it, add me on AIM (gamedev06-at-aol-dot-com) or MSN (gamedev06-at-hotmail-dot-com), I'd be glad to help . You can also continue to post here if you like, but it will be faster on IM .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 04:00
I contact you on MSN since I have an account already. Thanks for the offer to help!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 11:29
lol, this is what my engine for Duality (a text adventure) looks like:

As you can see, this engine will loop around and around using "do" and "loop", and every time it will check if a key has been pressed. If a key has been pressed, it will find out what key it is, and then decide which "page" of the text adventure to go to based on that instruction.

So, the engine doesn't really "look" like anything in a real sense. You wouldn't see the engine in the world. But you'd see its effects: if you were playing a FPS, you would see the content, but you would only see the effects of the engine ie. the fact that when you click, it shoots; when you press forward, you move; when you walk into a flight of stairs, you go up; that you don't fall endlessly through the floor (oh the fun I've had falling through floors and tearing my hair out!).

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 20:47 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 21:00
NEW VIDEO AND UPDATE
Ok, I've got a new video that shows the new system (or what I have of it at least) I've got in for mining and creating metals, as well as a few new objects (some silverware, anchor, anvil, furnace, ore, resources) and new structure (the fort). As you can see, there is an anvil, but I haven't decided how I want to use it. My options are:
a) Make player have to be within range of one to craft anything with metal, b) Make it just give some sort of bonus to the craft (or make it faster) if the player is near it, c) or something else you can think of. Also, if anyone wants to make any food models for the game, I'd be glad to take them . They need to be of similar quality (or better) and style as the other objects, and be low poly (nothing over about 50 poly's). Here's the current list of food.

Again, ignore jumps and framerate, because they are both caused by Fraps .
PoPR Video 8-Smelting/Mining

EDIT: By the way, for those of you Pirates of the Caribbean fans, the fort in the game is somewhat modeled after the one in the movie .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 20:53
Cool stuff.

But why do you want food models of the same quaitly as the current media? I though most of this was placeholders.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 20:56 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 20:57
Quote: "But why do you want food models of the same quaitly as the current media? I though most of this was placeholders."

Well it can be of higher quality, just not of higher poly . And some of the models are not placeholders, it all depends on how well the framerate does . None of the buildings are placeholders, most of the furniture isn't, but some of the moveable objects (like axe, pickaxe, etc.) are . I'm going for gameplay over graphics . I won't refuse anything of better quality and decent poly's, but I won't (and can't because of my modeling skills) spend time improving many of the objects, at least for the first demo. But, like I said, if anyone wants to make better, I'd be glad to take them .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 21:08
Ah, ok. Make sure you get some high quality textures though. Texture work is more important than polly's

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 19:28
Bizar has a point. Some nice texture remakes will improve the loks of this drastiacally.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 05:00
Yeah, hopefully I'll get some better textures for the objects .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 12:45
First, the important things: Unti... uuhm the engine!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 06:45
Hey Gil I'm on MSN now

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 15:59 Edited at: 9th Jan 2008 16:02
Just come back here to have a look at how this thread is doing. I have to say, fantastic work Gil. I am really pleased to see this is still going. It is such a massive undertaking, and you have spent so long on it, it really is turning into something exciting.

If you want some fresh models, I would be quite happy to do a bit of modelling for you, as I said before. I could make you a new pick-axe if you like. Just don't ask me to animate anything for a while, as my skills in that area are not exactly skills! My e-mail address is

lewisyates1@hotmail.com

and as I say, I would like to aid you in this project.
Good luck!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 23:09 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 00:31
Quote: "Just come back here to have a look at how this thread is doing. I have to say, fantastic work Gil. I am really pleased to see this is still going. It is such a massive undertaking, and you have spent so long on it, it really is turning into something exciting.

If you want some fresh models, I would be quite happy to do a bit of modelling for you, as I said before. I could make you a new pick-axe if you like. Just don't ask me to animate anything for a while, as my skills in that area are not exactly skills! My e-mail address is

lewisyates1@hotmail.com

and as I say, I would like to aid you in this project.
Good luck!
"

Thanks, I'm glad you are liking it so far . And I'm always open to help, especially new models . I'll email you.

Lately because of the holidays I haven't done a whole lot, but I have added horses (of which I need a decent model) and am still trying to figure out how best to do combat.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 01:58 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 02:00
Gil - I want to see the horsies! Do you have any screenies?

I have been doing a little concept art for Driftwood lately and I drew it up on pencil and paper then had some fun in photoshop

http://www.fantasymultimedia.com/Driftwood/Concept%20Art/Horse-Shopped.jpg
(sorry about the size)
Edit: it appears that the url is too long to put into the url or image or href tags, so feel free to copy and paste it.

After I do a little more studies on horses, I am going to do some modeling. I have taken a bum-load of photos of horses recently, some of them should be great for model references and textures

Support the indie!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 03:45
Quote: "Gil - I want to see the horsies! Do you have any screenies?"

Well I can get some, but it's not eye candy, my temp horse was done with about 8 boxes and 2 minutes, just so I could have something to use to test with . It's also better in motion because you bounce and move faster, a screenshot would just be the camera on top of a brown block, lol . I'll post a video with combat and it once I get combat working .

Nice horse drawing! Wish I could draw like that .

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 04:08
Nice. Is that drawn from life or picture?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 16:55
@Alquerian: Woah! That looks even better than brilliant.

@Gil: Combat system sounds interesting, would finally bring some action into the game. Looking forward to the video.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 17:34
Bizar Guy, it was drawn from a photo. Perhaps in the spring (when it is warm enough to draw outside!) I will do a few from life.

Thanks for the compliments MC, BG and Gil

Gil - What are you using to animate your horse? Seeing a video would be really nice when you are finished with it.

Support the indie!
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 19:14 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 19:15
OK Gil, set me right if I'm wrong, but a basic list of things you want moddeled so far:

=> Horses
=> Weapons
+ Musket
+ Cutlass
+ Pickaxe
=> A quill for writing
anything else?

I'll be making these in Milkshape, so you'll get them in .x format if thats ok. I'm sure there are conversion programs if you want them in DBO format. I'd be happy to change them for you.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 21:44 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 00:22
Quote: "@Gil: Combat system sounds interesting, would finally bring some action into the game. Looking forward to the video. "

Yeah I'm hoping that will add some more interest .

Quote: "Gil - What are you using to animate your horse? Seeing a video would be really nice when you are finished with it."

My temp model isn't animated, it just moves and the "player" (camera) bounces on it, which is why I need a real model for it . It's really not better than using just a DBP primitive cube for it, only slightly more recognizable . When I get a better model for it, hopefully it will be animated and look better.

Quote: "OK Gil, set me right if I'm wrong, but a basic list of things you want moddeled so far:

=> Horses
=> Weapons
+ Musket
+ Cutlass
+ Pickaxe
=> A quill for writing"

I also need all kinds of food (obviously that would have been around in the 1700's caribbean), but those look like a good start, thanks . I've replied to your email now . I have a conversion program so don't worry about it, .x will be great. Thanks for the offer to help .

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 23:35
@Gil - Just wanted to say good job over all, been scoping out your project a bit and this game has a certain look I like - the earthy colors, the "Pirate" scenario, the RPG gameplay, customizable quests - Great Job - hope you see this through!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 00:14 Edited at: 14th Jan 2008 00:15
Quote: "@Gil - Just wanted to say good job over all, been scoping out your project a bit and this game has a certain look I like - the earthy colors, the "Pirate" scenario, the RPG gameplay, customizable quests - Great Job - hope you see this through!"

Thanks, glad you like what you see, and I will definitely be seeing this through .

Update for everyone, I've now got the players side of sword fighting working, and you can now kill NPCs! Except I am having trouble getting the npc's swords to detect collision, so I'm working on that now .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 02:13
And you can still talk or trade with them when they're dead...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 02:41
Quote: "And you can still talk or trade with them when they're dead... "

Crap, Rami, you weren't supposed to tell anyone! . Actually now you can't anyways, so there goes your attempt to completely and utterly destroy and ruin this projects reputation!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 02:42
I wish PoPR to be a succesful title. Just not as good as Dream, Soulhunter or Starwraith. That'd weaken my DBC rocks argument .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 02:43
Quote: "I wish PoPR to be a succesful title. Just not as good as Dream, Soulhunter or Starwraith. That'd weaken my DBC rocks argument."

*sigh* do we have to go through this argument again, can't you see that I've obviously won twice now?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 02:45
You really need to recheck the definition of 'won' and 'lost'. You seem to be confusing them (and you're cluttering your own topic ).

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 02:45 Edited at: 14th Jan 2008 02:46
Quote: "You really need to recheck the definition of 'won' and 'lost'. You seem to be confusing them (and you're cluttering your own topic )."

You started it . Hopefully my next post will be saying that I have been successful in the NPC's holding swords .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 23:46
Rami - It is ok to kill NPCs and trade with them, so long as the NPCs aren't pirates. The death of a pirate makes God angry and his fury is felt here on Earth in the form of Global Warming. I have proof:

Support the indie!
billb
Years of Service
User Offline
all hail the FSM!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 00:41
Wait. That actually seems a very valid graph. Oh no! Gil! Stop development! We need it to be the Immortal Pirates of Port Royale against Hello Kitty. No pirate can be killed.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 00:53 Edited at: 16th Jan 2008 01:14
Kill cats, not pirates.

(EditIn the game I mean.

Support the indie!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 01:31
Quote: "Kill cats, not pirates.

(EditIn the game I mean."

It's a bit late for that.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 04:00 Edited at: 19th Jan 2008 06:09
@Alquerian: Lol, I knew that was the cause of global warming! And noone believed me...

Quote: "Wait. That actually seems a very valid graph. Oh no! Gil! Stop development! We need it to be the Immortal Pirates of Port Royale against Hello Kitty. No pirate can be killed."

The damage is done, there is no stopping me now, mwahahaha! .

On a more serious note, NEW VIDEO that shows the start of sword fighting combat as well as riding a horse (with a temporary model, before anyone says anything, now you see why I desperately need a decent one )
This time I'll upload a high quality version to go along with YouTube, for those of you who aren't lazy and will take the time to download all 6MB of it for a better viewing experience . Anyways, please leave comments here and/or on YouTube. Hope you enjoy what I have so far, and remember that it's still in its fairly early stages . High quality is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7mgtzva7tzd

YouTube is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhrFqRpkmw

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 08:43
It's in its early stages, thats clear, but it clearly is a start! I think some more animations would really help out here.

That horse is amazingly realistic. It's a bit odd that it seems to work like a car, though . Might be the lack of animation, again. We need to get you a pretty horse.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 12:24
Quote: "That horse is amazingly realistic."

Indeed. How did you get such a high-poly-model work with such a high framerate?
However, it's even better than a brown cube.

The game looks better everytime I read the thread-updates.. good work.

Btw, I doubt that pirates (or better no pirates) cause global warming. I think it's the sun's fault.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 12:57
Omgf thats like uber next gen

Click For Details!
DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude those graphics are better than Halo 3

Thanks to BigAdd for the signature!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 18:05 Edited at: 19th Jan 2008 18:09
Quote: "It's in its early stages, thats clear, but it clearly is a start! I think some more animations would really help out here.

That horse is amazingly realistic. It's a bit odd that it seems to work like a car, though . Might be the lack of animation, again. We need to get you a pretty horse."

Thanks, yeah, animations I can't do anything about, because I don't and can't do them . Are you saying my horse isn't pretty already? I just told her and she's insulted.

Quote: "Indeed. How did you get such a high-poly-model work with such a high framerate?
However, it's even better than a brown cube. "

It took a lot of tricks and hard work to get such amazing graphics with a good framerate.

Quote: "The game looks better everytime I read the thread-updates.. good work."

Thanks .

Quote: "Omgf thats like uber next gen
"

I know, I amaze myself sometimes .

On a more serious note, as I've said before, graphics will come later (if at all), gameplay is much, much more important, and all of those that use DBP should know that it definitely has some technical limitations as to what you can do graphics-wise, especially with a large world. And I hope everyone realizes the HORSE IS A PLACEHOLDER .

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And I hope everyone realizes the HORSE IS A PLACEHOLDER ."

Nah, you're kidding right? That looks like it was taken from a PS3 game.

Thanks to BigAdd for the signature!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 20:37
Quote: "Nah, you're kidding right? That looks like it was taken from a PS3 game."

Ok, joke is kind of old now, I get that the graphics aren't amazing.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 21:36
I've got faith that they will be, though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:36:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:36:40