Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bildin' Bloks

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 19:16 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 22:09
Here is my latest WIP!

EDIT: Now renamed "Odd Blox"

Beta 1.1 ("Free-Build" Mode) can be downloaded at :
[EDIT: Beta Link removed on release of finished game!]
Beta 1.2 ("Game" Mode) can be downloaded at:
[EDIT: Beta Link removed on release of finished game!]
Updated-12th Jan 2010

I was playing Building blocks with my son and my other son kept knocking everything we made over. I couldn't decide which was more fun so I've started this.

The game has two main parts to it, the first is a set of mini-games of varying degrees of difficulty and the second is a "Free-Build/Destroy" Mode where you can construct or destroy whatever you want.

There are a number of "Construction" tools such as bolts and hinges which can be used to build connections between blocks as well as a number of "Destruction" tools such as a Lazer Gun or Time-Bombs!

If you press H in game you get context sensitive help.

The game has been built using DarkPhysics.

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 22:13
did you use dark physic to make this? cos I made a object maker that looked just like this some time ago, I like the look of it, its nice and clean.

I would say do away with the print outs and add some imparted image text.

if you wonted it to look a bit better add same coloured woody textures to the objects, to make them look more like the real thing.

if you have a digital camera take some photos of your kids blocks and cut out the wood grain etc out of the image, and use it to make a texture for your objects.

if you add some normal maps to every thing this game will look grate.

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 22:21
here is a link to the rube goldberg maker v1.0 I made, its not that grate but you may wont to have a look at it.

it uses ray casting to position the objects, and where ever you point the mouse pointer is where you will build an object.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137225&b=30

rube goldberg maker v1.0

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 10:57
Thanks sindore I'll take a lookat yours!

I was working on the text yesterday actually, take a look:

It already has some very basic textures and normal maps at the moment but I'm still undecided on the style I want. I might still go for the "Toon" look...

Oh and yes it's dark physics.

I'm working on adding some new 'weapons' for knocking the blocks down at the moment, pea shooter nearly done.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 18:42
Sweet!

That's a lovely concept. I like it when people come up with simple but fun ideas for games!

I'm not sure if I totally agree with Sindore. This game doesn't really look like the kind of thing that needs bump and normals and bloom. I think (especially with the text you've chosen) it could be done through toon shades.
I do think it would be a lot more tactile if eveything was done through the mouse though. That way it would be more like holding it.

as I was playing the second bit I couldn't help thinking it would be quite fun if there was an AI that was trying to knock my tower down and I had to defend it. A bit like tower defense.

Once you've stacked your tower, you have a limited amount of time to glue bits together, build barricades, add supports , places fans (to blow it back upright when it wobbles), place toy solders (as barricades), etc and then an AI child throws blocks at your tower, and you have to hope you've fortified it well enough!

Really nice work though!

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:16 Edited at: 27th Sep 2009 00:21
Thanks Butter Fingers!

I had a similar idea for the AI but I was thinking there might be a toy robot wandering around randomly that might knock your 'castle' down at any time. I thought maybe you could knock him over with the car or another weapon to stop him.

Anyway there are several good ideas there to work in thanks!

I have finished the Pea Shooter weapon (which works great!) and a small bomb weapon but I'm not sure whether the explosions fit in with the game.

See what you think...?
EDIT:Image lost by Imageshack...
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:26 Edited at: 16th Sep 2009 19:27
If it's a static decal, then no.

If it's a particle then, yes!

Oh, and just a side point, but in that last screenshot, it looks like you need to smooth the normals on the blocks, they are very faceted.

I want robotic legs.
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:27
this would look grate with cellshading, but with normals added to would make that bit more detail, I like Butter fingers ideas that you should defend against a baby attacks.

I like the cartoon writing, could do with a bit more work on it, but at the mo, I would say that the writing looks good.

I think that bloom would be a wast of time here, but the ode littal FX here and there would look grate.

have you thought about making it so you have a free build mode, or even a tetris like game mode?

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:34 Edited at: 16th Sep 2009 19:39
this looks like a kids game so it needs to stay like that, and fiery explosions ant going to give that kidy fell any more.

the explosion needs to be more cartoony, puffs of smoke and wood chippings would fit a bit better.

its look better, the toy robot sounds good can't wait to see it, how did you get on with my raycasted mouse?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:42
How do I smooth the normals? I didn't know you could do that!

Agreed about making the explosions more "cartoony" if I keep them in the game!

I had some trouble using the inbuilt shadow shader when I used toon shading before but I might give it a try anyway as I'm using some of the undocumented options now...

Oh and free build mode is great fun (I have it in my debug mode), it will DEFINITELY be an option! Maybe you could unlock weapons of mass destruction with high scores for use in free build mode, or some pre-fabricated structures...?
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:54
have you thought about how the high score board is going to work? +10 points for knocking over the robot etc, I've just had a thought, if you have a website you could upload the player score to it, or even have a top score that is internet based in game.

I know its a bit much to take on at the mo, but it would add that bit more playability to the game in the long run, even a 1 on 1 split screen multi-player game of blocks would be cool.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 10:42
Sounds great, maybe a bit early like you said but I can see the possibilities!

Two player could be fun as co-op or head-to-head.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 11:59
Um I think you an do "set object normals", but I'd advise doing it in your modelling application, if you're in Maya it's "average normals", or "smooth normal vectors".

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 12:45
I am just making these blocks in Sketchup and exporting as 3DS but I have 3DS Max 8...

The only way of smoothing I've used in Max is meshsmooth but that massively increases the poly count.

I'll try the DBP way first and see how it goes.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 17:21 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 22:10
I have updated the link at the top with a newer version of the demo(also below)!
[EDIT: Link removed on release of finished game!]

Let me know if you like it so far!

I haven't added toon styling to the game yet but that will be my next move.

I'm still looking for ideas for other weapons...?

Oh, and I've made the blocks easier to rotate, they turn with the camera in the Y axis and you can only rotate them one other direction now using right click. You can still use the arrow keys to move about but I am hoping that now you won't have to!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 16:27
Cell shading just needs some tweeking now!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 18:17
that looks lovely, although maybe a slightly higher ambient value in the shader so that they appear a little brighter?

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 18:55
Yeah, that was actually because I was using multiple shaders and wasn't setting the light position for the second one.

Here is a slightly better looking version but as you can see some of my objects keep coming out different un-textured for some reason. I started another thread for that but no replies yet!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 19:38 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 02:50
Ok, before I let you continue with this project, we need to clear up some grammer here:
First off, building is spelt with a U and blocks with a C... now I can understand taking out letters for imformality, but you replaced the G in building with a '.

So theoretically your title should be either:
Bildin bloks
or
B'ildin' blo'ks

Nice project though, I didn't wan't to post when I first saw it because it looked like just another Dark BASIC Pro WIP. But now it's got cell shading and some things in the background it really does look quite cool

EDIT:
I see now the only place the apostrophe is found is in the thread title, not the actual game title anymore. - Still, what was wrong with Building blocks

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 21:44 Edited at: 18th Sep 2009 21:50
First of all Cow is spelt with a O not a 0... LOL

me finx u is misin d poynt

I was attempting to encapsulate the essence of the 'toddler' in the title for this project as it was the seed of it's creation. In this vain attempt I took some liberties with my native tongue, if any offence is taken from this act I apologise...

PS. "apostrophe" has an 'r' in it and it was in the title before I decided to "dumb" the game down to its current level. ;P

PPS. What did you think of the game?
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 01:12 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 01:13
Wow this is looking pretty nice and it was pretty fun! As for the title, I don't see anything wrong with the apostrophe. I've seen other games use that to connote a more "childish" name.

I played the demo, here are my comments:

PROS:
-The game was fun and the graphics looked great! I especially liked driving the car off of the shelf and into the blocks.
-The idea of using physics to control the game really added to the experience.

CONS (and some suggestions):
-The mouse control was a bit odd. When my mouse got to the edge of the screen, I couldn't pan anymore. This became less of a problem as I continued playing, but at first when I was getting oriented I had a bit of trouble. It was also a bit awkward to see the mouse on the screen at all. I think that hiding the mouse and allowing full rotation of the camera along the Y axis (and limited rotation along the X as you have it already) would help the game.
-I know you probably aren't this far yet, but some sound effects and music would REALLY add to the game in my opinion. Maybe a sound for when blocks clang together, another sound when you click to spawn a block, and another for the buggy's engine, etc.
-The circle seemed a bit small. It was hard to fit the blocks into. Maybe you could add varying difficulties where the circle size and time limit is different for each?
-The assembly of the blocks was interesting, but a TINY bit dull. Maybe you could have a monster block that eats other blocks come in at some point that wants to destroy your block tower, and the only way to make him go away would be to put down another block someplace far away as a lure.

As for weapon suggestions... How about the arm of a child? Toddlers love crawling over/walking into/knocking down blocks so why not include an arm (or leg or body) as a weapon? Just an idea

Also: Odd... I just tried the demo again and the game is freezing when I try and place my first block.

Anyway, the game was overall pretty fun and I can see it being a lot more fun down the road. Good luck with this!

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 02:50
@ baxslash
Hah yeh, someone stole the name Cowbox... so I had to stick with C0wbox >_<

<Corrects apostrophe> (I don't have to spell that word very often so I'm out of practice) xD

The game - I haven't played yet. But the graphics look good now, so it's worthy of being played, I just don't get time to play peoples WIPs these days.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 11:26
@Sixty, thanks for the input! The mouse control does need some work I agree, I'll work on it for the next demo.

I have a "sound" system that works pretty well with the physics system in another game I'm working on, I'll slot it in to make the game a little less... quiet. Music too although it might be something temporary.

The circle is quite small and some different difficulty levels will certainly be a good idea, I'll get there at some point.

As for building being a bit dull I agree with that as well and I was working on the idea of a toy robot that wanders around firing little rubber bullets everywhere to liven things up a bit!

I haven't experienced the freezing problem you mentioned but if you could let me know exactly when it happened I'll look at the code!

@C0wbox, I haven't updated the demo with the new graphics yet anyway but if you don't have time to play then wait for the finished job... no prob.

As for more weapons I had the idea of a bowling ball which opened a mini-game where you bowl the ball down a corridor into the room to knock the blocks down. Also a toy tank which can fire stuff at the blocks, or a toy plane, or even paper planes...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 16:14 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 22:12
Here is the latest demo now with cell shaded graphics:

Link:

Quote: "I think that hiding the mouse and allowing full rotation of the camera along the Y axis (and limited rotation along the X as you have it already) would help the game."

This has been changed as suggested, thanks @Sixty Squares!

I will be adding sound eventually but at the moment I am working on gameplay...

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 21:18 Edited at: 21st Sep 2009 21:25
when ever I try to play this demo an error coming up, (MSVCR71.dll) was not found, I have never had this come up for any dbp game I have downloaded.

I'm having a go at fixing it now

edit

ok even after I have replaced the missing dll, the same error comes up, and I would have loved to give this a blast.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 22:02 Edited at: 21st Sep 2009 22:05
@sindore, I've never had this either.

In my search I found this thread which suggests you might need to do the following as well as extracting the dll to the right place..
Start-->Run --> type regsvr32 MSVCR71.dll

Might be worth a go?

Anyone else getting the same problem? Works fine on my home and work PC's...

EDIT:Adding a robot to the game now!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 14:05

Robot added! He wanders around randomly so you never know when he's going to hit the blocks...

At the moment it's quite basic, he walks until he reches the edge of the room then he turns a random amount and the loop begins again but I figure that's about how clever most toy robots are anyway...

I'll make it a little more inteligent I think but not much, just so it stops and turns when it hits a block as well.

I'm also adding sounds:
1-Music is in (ten tracks) but I haven't listened to them all yet!
2-The robot makes different sounds depending on what he is doing.
3-The blocks make a noise when they hit something but I need to record something better than what I have at the moment which is only in for testing volume etc.
4-Volume is dependant on where the sound is coming from so as the robot gets closer you will hear him coming!

I'll upload a new demo when I have all of this working so you'll have to wait until I've recorded and added some new sounds I'm afraid!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 17:03 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2009 17:39
I've just added a bonus- if you score over 300 points you unlock the Pea-Shooter (with three shots) in build mode.

When you shoot the robot it falls over and get's back up again after a random amount of time (yet more sound effects to add!!).

EDIT:Also fixed the bug where I was getting blank textures on some blocks!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 14:44
Help added (toggled using 'h'):
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 17:07 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 22:11
New Demo added!!

OK, I have added:
-Music (three tracks for now)
-Sound (basic for the time being to get me started)
-Screen resolution setup at the start (very basic)
-Collision decal so that when the Robot/Buggy/Peas hit something there is a "flash"... just try it you'll understand
-Pause feature

When I got to a fairly good stage last night I had a go at the game 'just for fun' and was surprised at just how addictive I found it, particularly now it has sound...

Let me know what you think!!

I spent quite a bit of time tidying stuff up and getting things working nicely so it's just generally 'better' than it was!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 15:48
I'm working on difficulty levels at the moment:
Easy is called "Barbie mode"

Normal is called "Action-man mode"

...and Hard is called "Brain-buster mode"

This is all part of the Menu I'm adding. Also working on High-Score system (my first attempt so any ideas for storing the data other than the obvious commands (Read string etc.) would be very welcome.

I was considering storing it in with the data you can add to a dbo object but never really used memblocks before...

Also I'm considering keeping the number of tracks at 3 but allowing the user to specify an MP3 directory... comments?
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 16:58
Ha Rubix cube those arn't as hard as they look once you look it up on youtube haha

What kind of changes are being made for different difficulties?

as for data i would say just keep it simple have a highscores file and read/write to it. but not with strings as that gives the user a chance to change the highscores i would use WORDs for size depending on how high a person can actually score.

Don't know anything about storing data at the end of a model, but sense the models have nothing to do with the scores i would frown upon it haha

In my oppinion the MP3 directory isn't very useful, Course i always turn sound off but still

New Site! Check it out \/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 17:20
@Caleb1994, I'm making the score zone different sizes, changing amount of time available and adjusting the amount you score/get deducted per block depending on the level of difficulty.

Thanks for the advise on data, I'll look into it later, just using strings at the moment but easy to change...

Why do you turn sound off? Only asking...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 23:06
Hi Score table working, I've added it as a feature in the game room too:

This updates when you get a high score.

Demo including this might be up soon but please input any ideas/critisism etc...
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 00:45 Edited at: 26th Sep 2009 00:49
Wow, a lot has happened since the last time I lurked in to this thread. Nice work!

Considering this is a game aimed at kids with focus on building blocks and toys; maybe you should give the room a little more colour? It looks so grey right now. A nice bloom effect could also do wonders.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait why did you use the Fps Crea... Oh forget it nice game anyway

Im a making a game soon..
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 22:27
@zzz, I like the idea of bloom and yes some colour is a great point!! I just made a room to start with and hadn't thought about cheering it up yet.

@TheZachadoodle, thanks. I used the FPS creator stuff because it's payed for and saves me from hours of un-necessary modelling/texturing/animating... plus there's some really cool free/cheap stuff in there! I'm still trying to think of a good way of using some of the stuff from X10...
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 23:33
I just turn the sound off cuz well idk i usually either have music on or am multitasking and don't feel like listening to it haha.

New Site! Check it out \/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 00:18
Just added a little thing in the top left corner to let you know what blok is coming up next (I think Tetris had a similar thing...) but I don't know whether to have it as a minor reward for scoring well like the "build-mode" pea-shooter or have it there in easy/normal mode but not in hard... comments?

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm Having trouble playing the game I have vista and I choose the resolution to 1024 x 768 for some reason it won't work.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
has this game got free play? like, just building stuff or something.

---
Mike5424
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 21:28 Edited at: 27th Sep 2009 21:36
@Zachadoodle: Strange, I have Vista here and at work and it works on both. What is the exact error message? Does it work on other resolutions?

@mike5424, I'm just about to add a "free-build" mode with the possibility of creating your own "pre-fabs" which can be used by anyone.

I thought I would add a pre-fab building area or "Sandbox" where anything built there can be saved. Then in free-build mode you can import your own pre-fabs any time you like! It should be ready some time this week...

Also, free-build mode will have un-lockable extras like pre-fabs, weapons (it could be thought of as free-build/demolish-mode ) etc.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Bildin' Blocks has stopped working is the problem. It shows up as a computer error

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 23:37
everything appears as plack for me.

forever loading...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 10:38 Edited at: 28th Sep 2009 10:38
Quote: "everything appears as plack for me."

I'm not quite sure what you mean? If you mean 'black' at what stage does it go black?

I'm afraid I need a little more to go on. Perhaps you don't have the drivers needed for Physics to work...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0814.html

EDIT: I'll be putting in a little driver checking utility at some point.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 12:04
I've had some further thoughts Re: Free-Build mode...

I thought it might be cool if you could unlock block 'styles'. So if you scored enough you could use "Castle" blocks (grey with stony texture) or "Fairy-Castle" blocks (white with windows) with some new shaped blocks to match the style like tall pointy spires or castlated.

Also this could unlock new 'style' based weapons like catapults / dragons etc...

Comments?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 15:01 Edited at: 28th Sep 2009 15:04
@TheZachadoodle,
Quote: "Bildin' Blocks has stopped working is the problem. It shows up as a computer error"

Sounds like a computer error then...

Seriously though: When you double click on the icon what happens next? If nothing can you check whether it comes up on Task Manager if only briefly? When you say it has 'stopped working' does that mean it was working before?

and...
Quote: "Does it work on other resolutions?"

and... if you get an actual error message what does it say?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 18:43
I have now added a basic "Free-Build" mode and will be uploading a new demo very soon. I haven't added the Pre-Fab area yet and there are a few other things I also want to add for this version so it might still be a few days.

...in with this will also be the "Blok picker" which I will be adding as a reward item in the main game! This scrolls with the middle mouse button...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 19:00
This is looking amazing!

I don't have DirectX 9.0c and can't find it anywhere (stupid 'page not found' errors..and on Microsoft's website, too!) so I can't test it, but I'm going to be getting a computer with Vista on it soon and will definitely test this after I set it up. Judging from the screen shots, it's an amazing game! I do agree with the statement that the room isn't colorful enough, and a slight bloom effect would be a nice addition. It's definitely a little too gray, but it still looks outstanding!

-Yodaman Jer.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 01:53 Edited at: 30th Sep 2009 01:58
Sorry, its just a suggestion

There should be more of a purpose in this game cause it got somewhat boring when I played it.

Were you suppose to make the robot go inside the circle or just stack blocks in that circle and shoot it with a pea shooter or run it over.

By the way don't be nervous to make your own models. All you need to do for the bunk bed is make a couple of square and making a single pillow once by copying it twice. Reason why I say this is so that it should look more original, The more of a challenge it takes you the better it looks.

Don't Take this offensive okay I'm just giving you an honest opinion like I purchased the game.

Don't worry about the error thing anymore cause I officially played the game on a different vista computer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 16:12:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 16:12:55