Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Influx (Third Person Shooter)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 19:35 Edited at: 17th Oct 2007 23:49
MOST RECENT SCREEN SHOTS:

[center]ORIGINAL POST:

Influx (Third Person Shooter)

This game takes place in the not to distant future. Six months ago, a new race of beings appeared in the Arctic. They built cities in this cold climate, but began to move south, attacking any Humans they saw. Now, they’ve either destroyed or captured half of the planet, and almost the entire Human population is dead or has been captured. These creatures became known as the “Influx”, because of the way they seem to flow over the planet.

The Influx have many prisons throughout the cities on Earth, full of Human prisoners. If they could be freed, there may be a chance to save what’s left of Earth, but, nobody other than the Influx can get close to these prisons. Some of the Influx have telepathic abilities (known simply as I.T.), and can force any enemy that gets near their prisons to kill themselves.

A small group of the Influx were opposed to the majority that were taking over Earth. They formed a group and attempted to stop the rest of the Influx from advancing, but these heretics were quickly either killed or captured. The captured heretics were sent to a new prison, which was not yet guarded by the I.T. This meant that Humans could enter the prison and free the Influx heretics. Then, the Influx heretics (which cannot be controlled by the I.T.) could move to other prisons, and free anyone that was inside. Eventually, with the freed people from the prisons and the Influx heretics joined together, the Influx could be stopped.

You play as one of the Influx heretics.

I don’t have much to show yet, just a screen shot of the main character:

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 08:23
The main character reminds somehow from Rayman heh.. Its good one!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 12:06
Reminds me of that silly online shooter all the geek kids play in the library, "Gunny Bunny". Looks and sounds good though buddy. Do you have anything more than a character screenshot?

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The main character reminds somehow from Rayman heh"

Probably because neither this character or Rayman have any arms, legs or a neck.

Quote: "Its good one!"

Quote: "Looks and sounds good though buddy."

Thanks!

Quote: "Do you have anything more than a character screenshot?"

I do now. The first two weapon models are made.

And a video showing the Splinterburst spinning around so you can see the way the cartoon shader lights it up.
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 18:42
i like your style

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 21:22
Quote: "i like your style"

agreed its very different but still very cool

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 13:39
Really nice!

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for the good comments!

I've made two more weapon models, but I've been working mainly on the game engine over the past few days.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
And another one I just made.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool graphic style! I like the looks of that shotgun the best so far.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
I've finished all of the weapon models now. The next step is to animate them all and get them into the game. For my next update, I will have a video of the weapons being used in the game. But for now, here are the rest of the weapon models.

INFLUX
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work! I hope the programming aspect goes well. Judging by the date you joined you're fairly new to DBPro. But you did get a cartoon shader and motion blur working already...
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. It's allready been two and a half weeks since my last post. Anyway, here is a list of everything I've done with this so far:

Player model
Weapon models
Basic player control (Running, jumping, sprinting, crouching, etc.)
Player animation
All weapons are implemented
Cartoon shader on player model and weapon models
Flashlight shader on the map
Motion blur
Particle / billboard effect system (for smoke / sparks, etc.)
Bullet system (shows bullets flying through the air)
Bullet marks
Heads up display
Item system (allows you to collect and swap weapons, etc.)
Health system
3d sound system
Customizable controls
Adjustments to graphical settings (model detail, texture detail, etc.)
Saving and loading options

Some screenshots:

And a video to show what I have done so far:

Influx Movement and Weapon Video (6:53) | Low Quality (134 kbps) (8 MB)
Influx Movement and Weapon Video (6:53) | Medium Quality (308 kbps) (17 MB)
Influx Movement and Weapon Video (6:53) | High Quality (448 kbps) (25 MB)

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 00:37
your game looks really good, It seems that in not so long, you made some great progress. I like the nuon effect, and, I' not sure but, do you like blur?

Windows XP,pentium IV, 3.0 MGZ, 1024 mb memory, 256 mb ATI Radeon PCIE X700 Pro 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 00:49
you game seem to be really cool ^)
I like the "unusual" style
Really good

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 01:08
At first, when I only saw the character image and age of your account, my "premature WIP" alarm went of; glad I was wrong. Your weapons cartoonish style is awesome, and the from the video, I saw you had the coding to back it up. My favorite gun was the hyper blade launcher. I understand this to be single player, so I look forward to your enemies and AI.

On the side, have you been programing long? It took me and my friend a few months to get shooting and ammos and such together for our multiplayer fps, and the amount detail doesn't equal yours. I'm impressed.

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business. Join our forum: http://biofox.aceboard.com
http://www.biofoxgames.com
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 01:46 Edited at: 15th Mar 2007 01:47
@ sett

Thanks!
I wrote almost 2000 lines of code in about two and a half weeks.

It's actually muon, not nuon (it can be hard to tell with that font, though). A muon is a type of nutrino (so is Tau, which anyone that's played Half-Life 2 will probably recognize). That's probably my favourite effect, and it was really simple to do. All I did was set the gamma extremely high. There's some sort of bug in DBPro that causes turning up the gamma to cause alot of strange colours, which is exactly the look I needed! That weapon is very rare, since it shoots every enemy you can see at once! Just wait until enemies use it...

And I do like motion blur, for a few reasons.
1) You see motion blur in real life (although not as much as in this game)
2) It can cause choppy movement to look much more smooth. The videos are only 25 frames per second but look higher than that alot of the time.
3) It really enhances the sense of motion, expecially when you're looking at a still picture.
4) It just plain looks cool

@ Freddix

Thanks I remember a month ago when I was starting to plan this that I was trying to decide on a graphical style.

@ Dr Manette

Thanks
I was thinking that after I posted just the player model that alot of people would have their " "premature WIP" alarm " go off, but I wanted to post right away, to get an accurate measure of my progress going.

The hyper blade launcher has got to be one of my favourites, for sure. Essentially it's a crossbow that fires a saw blade with a grenade and rocket mounted on it. That's a deadly combination

Yes, it is single player. I'll start working on the enemies and AI after I get the first map made.

I've been programming for few years now. When I found DBPro recently it was a dream come true! It's very powerful!

@ Anyone reading this

Just some notes... I used the unregistered version of fraps to record the video, which only alows you to record 30 seconds at a time. So I had to use Windows Movie Maker to combine the videos into one. But... the full 6 minutes and 53 seconds uncompressed, took up 2GB! It ended up taking 15 minutes to save each video in a different format. (3 times for 3 videos, and then uploading...)

Some things about the game...

You can hold down the sight to zoom in with any weapon (alot more for the sniper rifle) and a sight appears. Just wanted to point that out since the sight can be hard to see in the video.

Also, the bar in the HUD shows the amount of ammo in the weapon you're using. The number to the right of it shows the number of extra clips, but it doesn't use a whole clip every time you reload. The number of clips is an estimate.

You can hold two weapons plus the pistol and grenades.

You fire more accurately when you're moving more slowly and are using the sight.

The white haze that appears in the top left corner indicates that your stamina is low, either from sprinting, rolling or jumping.

The ammo boxes each have ammo for the pistol, splinterburst, advancer, stabber, gamut, energy pistol and energy rifle.

I'll be starting on the first level next.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 02:00
Very good looking! This game looks like it will be hectic.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 04:41
Pretty cool effects, alot of HL2 sound effects though lol

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Inspire

Thanks, and yes, I am planning to make this game hectic.

@ Oneka

The sound effects are just temporary. I can't make sound effects myself (unless I can just record it using a microphone), so I'll need somebody to help with them. I know somebody that can and I'll ask them about it as soon as possible.

DMTsukasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, this is my first post ever on this forum, but I love the look of this game and felt it deserved a post of my awe. I've been lurking around for a few months now and I enjoy a lot of the stuff that I have been seeing. I think that this game looks awesome. It's like GoW gone cartoon.

I hope that you release a demo (at your liesure of course) and I was wondering, will the final product be free or pay-to-play.

The character model is great and the Stagger Shotgun rocks. The movement is awesome. I would love to see him be able to lean back against walls and peer over barriers and around corners like in GoW. Good luck and keep up the good work.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
@ DMTsukasa

Thanks, especially since this is your first post here! Gears of War is definately an influence on Influx (although it's not the only one). I'll definately be releaseing a demo, and almost positively more than one. And the final product will be free. I was planning on waiting until I have the first level done to release a demo, but I could release a demo of everything that was in the video, too. If anyone would like me to do that just say so and I will.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:46
I think you should do that too.

This game reminds me of Ratchet and Clank. You can make some pretty crazy puzzles / achievement like things in this game.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:53
Wow those videos looked cool! I can imagine multiplayer here

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Inspire
I'm sure I'll include some puzzles in the game, too. The fact that you can run and jump really far can add some platform elements, too.

@ The Full Metal Coder Roxas
I'm not planning on adding multiplayer, but there's a chance that I could.

@ Everyone

I've been working on the first level. You start in a cell in the new prison that's not guarded by the I.T. yet. Here's a screenshot:

And for anyone that wants to try it, a demo that includes the test level from the video.

The .ZIP file is attached here. (5.26 MB)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 23:11
Downloading.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
The .RAR file is atteched here. (3.42 MB)

The controls:

W A S D - Move
Mouse - Turn / Aim
Left Click - Fire
Right Click - Zoom
R - Reload
E - Pickup weapon
F - Flashlight
Space - Jump
Left Control - Crouch / Roll
Left Shift - Sprint
1 - 4 or Scroll Wheel - Select Weapon
Escape - Quit

You can place items down by pressing certain keys (this will be taken out later)

Z - Pistol
X - Splinterburst
C - Advancer
V - Stabber
B - Gamut
N - Blastshot
M - Energy pistol
, - Energy rifle
. - Particle rifle
/ - Hyperblade Launcher
' - Muon Cannon
; - Grenade
L - Ammo Box

Note that you can cause a problem if you place two items in the same spot.

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 23:26
Says I can't load sound at line 1868... probably not included or named wrong.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
It worked for me. I think there's a limitation on your sound card that won't let you load enough 3d sounds. I've seen this happen before with a game I'm working on.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 23:30
Worked fine for me! Nice job.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 23:37 Edited at: 16th Mar 2007 23:46
@ Dr Manette

I've attached the configuration file with 3d sound turned off. If you get an error with the sound place this file in the "Influx EarlyDemo\Files\Profiles\Random" directory to switch 3d sound off.

Edit: Oops, forgot to attach it. lol.

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 01:37
Very nice, it worked after the config.

DMTsukasa
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome! I'm downloading now. The first level looks good as well. Another cool feature to include would be melee attacks with the butt of your weapon.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 22:32 Edited at: 19th Mar 2007 22:34
@ Dr Manette

That's good to know. Remember to goto 3d sound in the options menu and turn it off the next time.

@ DMTsukasa

I was thinking of adding a melee attack, but I haven't decided on anything yet.

@ Everyone

I have some news. It could be good news. It could be bad news. Or, it could just be news. It really just depends on two things: Your personal preferences and the speed of your computer's graphics processing unit. I've been working on the first level for the past few days. However, I've been having some trouble to get the level to look the way I want using this style. Without outlines, a cartoony look doesn't work well. Outlines can be drawn onto textures, and very easily. But getting outlines around 3d objects is difficult. A cartoon shader can do this, but it doesn't work well on flat objects (such as a floor). Also, using only simple colours on textures doesn't make the 3d world look very detailed. Plus, I've been thinking about everything that I'd like to include in the game, and thinking about different ways that they could look. And, after considering all of these things carefully, I've decided to switch the graphical style to something that looks more realistic. For one, I'll be using normal mapping on almost everything. Don't worry about not being able to play it though, since the normal mapping can use pixel shader version 1.4, which is required for the flashlight shader, anyway. I'll also be including an option to disable it on most objects. I'll post some screenshots when I can.

This isn't a total redo, or anything. I'll just be replacing textures and using a different shader besides the cartoon shader.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 22:35
U could add some melee weapons aswell like swords ?

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 16:23
awsome game man loved it btw is this going t be online and i found a bug if you hold the sniper and crouch you body moves down but your head says in he same place

life is short but so am i
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 18:31 Edited at: 20th Mar 2007 18:31
@ The Full Metal Coder Roxas

I never thought about adding melee weapons like that before, but now that you mention it, I might add some. I'll come up with some designs today.

@ z i l c h vortex

I looked into that bug. I crouched with the sniper rifle and the head moves. But I tried crouching when the pistol wasn't in your inventory and he went crazy. Did you have the pistol when you crouched? If not it's probably what happened to you.

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 18:58 Edited at: 20th Mar 2007 19:12
when i crouch with sniper or a rocket launcher it does it if you want i will make a movie and post it on here for you

btw ive added you to msn and if you ever need help with modeling or resorces i will be glad to help

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this what happened?

epithika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 21:54
This looks really good! Nice Job!

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 22:36 Edited at: 15th Jun 2007 18:31
Thanks! Also, I fixed the bug in the picture above.

I've been thinking, how many people would like me to keep the graphics the way they are, and how many would prefer a more realistic look? Please, let me know when you post.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 23:53
Keep the graphics how they are, it makes the game unique.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah keep them the same

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 00:25
Just a thought, but since these influx guys are aliens (correct me if i'm wrong) so maybe you could keep the influx guy cartoony and the world more realistic. If the guy looks way cooler the new way though, for get that.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 02:35
I'd like to see a sample from both styles before voting. What's the possibility of having both styles and letting the user select cartoon or normal shaders? If the difference is just shaders and textures, that implies that the geometry/levels do not change.
--
TAZ

"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal." -- Wally
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice style I like it if you can touch up some of the textures it would look really proffesional.

The admiral
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 17:42 Edited at: 12th Feb 2008 01:53
@ Inspire & fxgamer

Thanks for your input!

@ Dr Manette

Yes, the Influx are aliens (you go to their planet near the end of the game, or will, anyway. Its planned but I'm not there yet). Having the world look real and the aliens cartoony is a cool idea but I think it would look a bit weird.

@ zircher

I can only stay home for a few minutes right now, but when I get home later, I'll make some textures for the realistic look and post a screenshot of the same area as the picture of level 1 that I posted before. That way everyone can see them both. I should have the realistic screenshot posted in about 3-4 hours if nothing goes wrong.

The only difference is just the shaders and textures, so I could include an option. Maybe it'll depend on how many people would prefer the realistic or cartoony look. If the numbers are close, I'll probably include that option.

@ The admiral

Thanks.

Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 18:00 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 18:03
Nice look, nice effects and what is impressing me most of the demo are the character controls.
They are very smooth and give the player a great feeling of really having control over the character (many darkbasic games can'T offer that).
I am really interested in the full version and if you are designing the other aspects of the came as professional as the control there is no doubt that i would pay money for it

However i found a little animation bug in the demo:
When fixing the characters head to the camera direction with the right mouse button while hes running the arms of him stay in the animation frame as they where due to the walking animation (when i have no weapon in my hand).

Greets,
Ape.

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 18:53 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 18:56
yes keep the textures the same it makes the game havemore fun in it cos everyone today is trying to go for the most realistic graphics but
the game youve made with those graphics makes it look awsome.

Escaped Ape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 19:12 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 19:12
But why do they try to make it look most realistic? probably because this kind of games sell well.
I am not sure at the moment which look would be cooler, i wait for the screens of randomness 128.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:51:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:51:55