Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG - Geisha House. Image intensive!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 08:22 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 12:57

Hello all, sorry I've been away for so long on this. It has definitely not died. I've been working under contract on another game. It is fabulous, the best RPG ever made. Unfortunately I am under an NDA so I can't discuss it or post anything about it. But, I digress.

So, I'm done for now, so I'm back on Geisha House. So many things have happened and have been improved. First of all, Geisha House uses Dark Physics. Amazingly, when I switched from NGC v4.02 to DarkPhysics+Sparky's, the game actually got faster. Who'd have thought? Now some awesome things happen. Certain objects are destructible, and will break up into pieces. Certain enemies will do the same, like skeletal warriors and stone knights. When you kill an enemy, they drop their weapons and you can pick them up. If you kill them in a river, their weapons will float away. Pretty awesome to behold.

I've also re-textured and reanimated all of the old stock media. Dark Matter 2 has some real problems. Some of the files are 8mb in size! It is because 160x the number of frames necessary have been exported, so the files are roughly 160x the normal size. Even though they are low poly, they quickly bog down the system.
The new models are approximately 250k in size now! Plus, they have way better textures and normal maps. They look awesome in game.

Old huge models...

New small, sleek, normal mapped models...

Here is a short video demonstrating how it looks...

http://www.cashcurtis.com/videos/gh1.wmv

Some other awesome things - I've gotten Psionic to make a new main character for the game (for an undisclosed sum of money). It's not quite ready, but it is going to be completely awesome. Here is a reference image...

It is based on Colin Farrel from the movie The New World.

Here are some of his weapons...

They look awesome in game. The normal mapping really elevates it to a new level.

In addition to normal mapping, I've included shadows and a gloss shader for the water. I've included nothing in particular that slows the game down too much. The shadow system that I've engineered is extremely efficient. You can disable it during gameplay though. You'll notice from the video that the knight is self shadowing.

I also have enabled a fullscreen exclusive mode that won't crash when you switch windows. I fixed the combat system, and there is a new menu interface enhance the existing interface.

I won't post a major update for about another week, I'm going to reorganize the entire engine code to get it just how I want. Other updates in the future will include encapsulation of some critical engine components, like the animation system, into a DLL which will further enhance the speed of the game.

Here is a signature picture for anybody who wants. Promote Geisha House! If you like, I'll add your name to the picture.

Put this code in the signature box in your forum profile and it will work...

Come see the WIP!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 08:40
wow,looke better then the last screenshots i saw Cash,you'r doing a great job!

-Prince Of Darkness
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks very good keep up the work mate I hope to see good things

The admiral
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 09:42
WOW! Keep up the amazing work.

Cheers,

-db

Tree3D Software... Because a 2D tree isnt good enough.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 14:43
WOW Looks awesome!!

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, and I'd probably have way more motivation if I ever spent X amount of money on that knight model. I definately want to see an ingame vid when he finishes it. Superb job so far.

Drew

please forgive me about my forum name.
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 16:53
that is asome. i have been wating for some updates on this game, and that video looks great.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 16:53
That is possibly the most amazingly cool thing in the world

Support Freedom by supporting fascism. For under hard conditions freedom prevails, while under stagnation, it crumbles to dust.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 17:04 Edited at: 20th Feb 2007 17:05
Woooooo!!!!

Great stuff. That snake totally owned you.

The new weapons look very nice.

Edit: will we be able to disable the hurt noises? They sounded like they'd get annoying after a while.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 17:40 Edited at: 21st Feb 2007 04:02
@Prince Of Darkness,
The admiral,
DB user 2006+,
The Full Metal Coder Roxas,
DB newbie,

Thanks guys! I've been aching to post an update for a long time now, it's just been nearly impossible to.

@Sarcasm Stealth Squad -
Thanks Game making isn't free by any stretch of the imagination

@Steve J -
Thank you very much, that is a very rave review

@Bizar Guy -
Thanks! Yeah, that was a pretty mean snake. He's hard to kill too because he's so small, I'll fix that.

As for the hurt sounds, I'll just improve them. I'll have a variety of sounds that can be played randomly instead of that annoying single sound.

Thanks everybody!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 17:57
ROFL when that snake killed him at the end, after taking out all the other dudes. that and when he jumped in the knee deep river and swam

looks really good though!

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 20:09
Looks absolutely stunning! But then it is you with Psionic helping so what else would I expect!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 23:54
Wow, looks absolutely amazing, and could easily pass for a professional game . Only complaint is that the framerate is a bit low, but I'm guessing that's just the crapiness of fraps . Great job, and awesome models/game/everything.

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 00:41
WOW! i practically chocked when i saw this! too bad i cant watch the movie(i have some codec problems and can only watch YouTube videos for some reason), but the screens look amazing! VERY nice work!

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 01:15
Hey! I dont know if you still need a title screen, but attached is a backdrop for one if you need it. I can also make it bigger, make it normal perspective if you want, ect.

Support Freedom by supporting fascism. For under hard conditions freedom prevails, while under stagnation, it crumbles to dust.

Attachments

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 01:16 Edited at: 21st Feb 2007 01:19
Attached is a slightly darker rendered scene to make it look more "ominous".....

Attachments

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 01:26
Again, i've vanished for a long while. sorry man Really stuck into uni work, in the 2nd year and its getting a bit intensive

I'l get your old man model done as soon as possible, I can no longer animate it though since I dont have CFX anymore but at least the mesh will be something Still trying to find an alternate animation program that works and is less than £400.

If you still need help gimmie an email and il see if i can knock up a few meshes with textures.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 03:08
Hey Cash! Looks great! Nice to see normal maps in the engine!

Lol one thing I did notice, it sounds great too. Haha

Keep it up mate.

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 03:26 Edited at: 21st Feb 2007 03:59
Quote: "Lol one thing I did notice, it sounds great too. Haha"

It sure does... I'm replacing the music, I just didn't have a good replacement at the moment. Although, maybe Zac P. would be interested in some charity work (it's for a good cause!)

I'm glad to have normal mapping in, especially for the armor and swords. It also just sucks in a way because I need to have two separate lighting systems, with shaders and without. That will be a bit annoying to implement, but certainly possible.

@Steve J -
That has an awesome feeling to it. Perhaps if we put the Geisha House in it, or one of the girls looking dark and out of place, ala The Grudge.

Here is the pagoda I modeled that was used in the render at the top of the thread if that's any use to you...
http://www.cashcurtis.com/models/Pagoda-3dsandMS3D.rar

@Peter H -
Quote: "ROFL when that snake killed him at the end, after taking out all the other dudes. that and when he jumped in the knee deep river and swam"

Yeah, the stream is a bit shallow. I'll fix it so that it looks right. Also, the stream will sweep you away. As for the snake, they're easy to kill if you can hit them. All I really need to do to him is decrease his attack distance and he'll be just right.

@Gil Galvanti -
Thanks! I'm definitely hoping it appeals to the masses, not just DBPers who are much more forgiving than the general public.

@jasonhtml -
That's too bad about the movie. Once I get a couple more videos I'll post them on YouTube for everyone to see. I don't want to just yet because if I post some vague junk nobody will watch. Glad you like it!

@Chenak -
Glad to hear from you I sent you an e-mail to your Hotmail.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 03:42
Actually Zac might do that. He has been making a HEAP of great music just recently. The guys amazing!

Hope this goes well for you Cash, its looking good and I know it will be playable!

Greenlig

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 05:00
@Cash: It will take 8 hours, to render the final copy, so when done I will upload it. When it is finally done, anyone that wishes to edit it (by adding what Cash wants, ect) can.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 16:36 Edited at: 21st Feb 2007 16:36
Attached is the render. Anyone who wants to add stuff, ect can=)..

Attachments

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 16:45
beautiful

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 17:14
@Steve J -
Man, that's awesome! It is SO getting used It sucks that it takes so long to render.

Today I had class, and I had a chance to work on the story some more. Let me say, it is awesome. I like to think anyway. It has become much darker and sinister, with a rich mythology behind the story. Sadly, I can't tell anyone, because it all needs to be a surprise.

Come see the WIP!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 01:25
Trust me, I would make it an animation if it took shorter. But as is, it looks pretty decent me thinks=P

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 02:04
Looks very nice Cash, well done. I would offer some constructive criticism if I could see anything wrong with it. :/

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 03:52
Quote: "I would offer some constructive criticism if I could see anything wrong with it. :/"

*gasp*! Benjamin with no criticism!? You must really have something there Cash .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 04:24
Nice nice, glad your back on this

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 05:00
Whats the control scheme like now? WSAD?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 05:23 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2007 05:25
@Steve J -
Quote: "Trust me, I would make it an animation if it took shorter. But as is, it looks pretty decent me thinks=P"

Way more than decent It's the perfect spooky atmospheric backdrop. Everything looks okay, but not quite right, and appropriately dark. I really appreciate it.

@Benjamin -
I really appreciate the compliment! I just hid all of the problems at the moment though, but I'll still fix them all!

@Xenocythe -
Quote: "Nice nice, glad your back on this "

I was never really off of it

@greenlig -
Quote: "Whats the control scheme like now? WSAD?"

Same mouse controlled system. I'm going to add arrowkey control. WASD isn't really practical for this game because of the keyboard interface shortcuts, it would be a problem. You can't deselect from a character in this game, so the opportunity is never open.

The arrowkey control will be portable to the other project. In addition to that I'll add WASD+arrowkey control for the free flight camera because it is possible to deselect, so the shortcuts won't always be necessary, in addition to the arrowkey character control.

Come see the WIP!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 06:44
I dont know if you need these things attached, but some rendered scenes you can use.

Attachments

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 06:46
Here is a forest scene, possibly if you ascend a mountain?

Attachments

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 08:49
I have a few suggestions:

I think the player/enemy animations look fairly rigid however I do understand that making a 3d combat game is very hard with respect to media, as most things will be organic, I'm not sure if you've ever played Dynasty Warriors http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dynastywarriors5/media.html But the controls and animations on that are spot on for a game like this, and my favorite thing in a game like this is a slight trail on weapons as they swoop through the air .

Also another thing I like in my projects is astetics, and generally polishing anything graphical :p, I think in your game some parts could easily be improved to look alot better, for one I think things such as rocks/trees/enemys could have a subtle shadow under them, this would be fairly easy to add assuming your game is all top down as you could 'cheat' by just using plains that render before the terrain, Also the stream bugged me a little, as it's fairly obvious it's just a plain intersecting a terrain, the best(probably hardest) solution would be to generate and deform a plain that weaves around the waters path that way you could scroll a texture along it, and also the edges of the steam could have some sort of foam/splashing to make it look less static.

The fire in your video, while the animation is fairly nice, it looks like a plain, and for something you would only see 1/2 of at anytime, I think you could splash out on using an actual particle fire, as it would look alot better being dynamic and woulden't suddenly be drawn behind other items shoul they intersect.

The ash/gravel around the fireplace looks far too symetical and perfect, that should be replaced by either some sort of scorch texture or a propper mound of mud as it looks like a cylinder cap right now.

And I think for a game like this having a subtle mist around the floor would be perfect, and by mist I don't mean an overlaying scrolling plain, I mean almost like clouds, while volumetric clouds maybe overkill some sort of particle generated one would be great(By particle I mean 3d objects, not DBPs built in useless particles)

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 09:36
Very nice cash! can't wait for the game

although this may sound sad, the game is awesomebut here are a few things that can be improved.

1: Make more than one attacking style for example all the people do is stab with the weapon, maybe they could bash them with it as well or something just to make it look like it has better variety

2: don't make the character swim unless he is in water up to his head

3: the snake issue

4: maybe the camera angle could be changed?

just some ideas to help

Kaneda
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work Cash. For what it is, in DarkBasicPro and all,its actually damn impressive. It looks like it feels good to play and thats the main thing. So yaw, keep on working on this, I wanna see a playable demo soon,ok?

Signature?...Signature!!??
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 12:13 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2007 12:13
@Steve J -
Gorgeous. My favorite, of course, is the one with the Geisha House in it. How hard would it be to put a girl in the forest? The lighting in the first picture would be great for that, shadowy and from behind, and you couldn't see much else besides her silhouette. Kind of like Samara from The Ring.

@dark coder -
1. That game looks awesome. They really accentuate the action with sharp animations and effects. I'll definitely move combat toward that style, quicker and 'slashier' They are moving between a couple different combat animations that end in a power move, which I can definitely do. Every character has three different attack animations, it's just not evident in the video that I posted. So far, each weapon has its own start animation, I just haven't set it up to use all three in combination. I definitely will.

2. A trail for the weapons would be lovely, I'll definitely add that to my to-do list as well, I'll just hold off on it for now.

3. You are definitely right about the water. I made it out of tiled plains because I needed an easy solution that could be integrated into an editor. That was the real purpose of this project, I never intended for it to get published. The plains weren't all that obvious until I applied the gloss shader. Now the edges are much more visible. I'll add this to my possible to-do list, as I still need the game to be a direct representation of what is possible with the RPG Editor.

4. The pre-rendered shadows is a very good idea, I'll look into that. I can probably do that on top of a one sided mesh in 3DWS and deform it to the terrain for each plant. I'll definitely do that.

5. I have particles for small torches and such in the game, and I used them for the campfires at first, but they REALLY displeased me. I have a fixed axis billboarding effect that is pretty good so far, I think though that adding particles in addition to the plain might be good. I'll play around with it.

6. That ash/gravel (it's a gravel texture) is getting replaced, it looks bad. I modeled it in 3DWS, I have no idea why. I'll make a proper model in Milkshape.

7. There are a couple places where a mist would be perfect on the floor. I can use the Cloth and Particles pack for this, because I've set up every character to be able to collide with particles and cloth realistically. I can't use Dark Physics cloth or particles because they SUCK.

Great comments dark coder, I really appreciate you taking the time to do so

@Kieran -
Glad you like the game! Hopefully it will be done soon.

1. Like I said above, I currently have three different attack animations for every character. Right now it just depends on the type of weapon, but I'll integrate multiple attack animations for each character/weapon.

2. You are absolutely right. It's very easy to do, the height is set to 40, I'll change it to 60 (shoulder level)

3. I suppose that you mean his attack range was too far? That was just sloppiness on my part, I'll fix that.

4. The camera is very easy to change, you press Control+mousewheel and it swings down. The game runs best with an overhead camera, but that is up to the player. I haven't added a FPS view, but that is a definite possibility.

Thanks for the comments!

@Kaneda -
Thanks! This is absolutely getting finished. Dark Basic is capable of a lot, you just have to be willing do to a LOT of work and spend some decent money.

Come see the WIP!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 13:44
There's some real eye candy right here! - looks great!.

One thing I'd suggest is that you don't smooth the blades so much. Like set that blade part of the weapons to a real small smooth angle, like 15 degrees - if you set it too high it'll smooth onto the opposite side of the blade, giving a strange dark shade on the blade when there shouldn't be one. I'd actually suggest keeping the blade parts as seperate limbs - you never know what shader fun you might want to add, even just adding a sphere map to the blades would make them much more metallic, so it might be good practice to do that anyway. Getting rid of that shading will make them look so much sharper.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 13:46
Psionic is da best indi low poly modeller

Go on, tell us how much he charges per model

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 16:15
@Cash: Might work, but I dont model, or have any girl models.

Sorry =/

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 16:54 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2007 16:55
@Van B -
Thanks! I appreciate that

In that video, the weapons aren't normal or specular mapped at all. The problem is that one object can only recieve 1 shader, and I couldn't compromise their shadow shading. In the next update, they'll be normal+speculared up, looking really nice I'm going to have to double up all of the weapon objects in order to do that.

They aren't attached to the characters at all, I sync them to a dummy box glued to their weapon limb. This allows me to have them drop their weapons when they die. I'll get a nice shot of that too in the next one.

@GatorHex -
It depends on the complexity of the model and the number of animations you want. What the hell - the model is $500. Well worth the money, and I've more than recouped the money with other DBP projects I've been working on.

@Steve J -
I might be able to get a Poser model that will do the job. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Come see the WIP!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 19:16
Cash, I am glad you are working so hard on this. You are an inspiration to everyone here. If only a fraction of us had the ambition and drive that you have, we would be a much more productive group

As an indi, I think that sharing your work with others is vital to your esteem and motivation for continuing to work hard on your projects. Your work is a prime example of what CAN be done with DBP with the propper motivation and toolset.

I am also glad that you began working on TGC's darkmatter models , yours are much easier on the eyes and exported correctly. Thank you for being so helpful.

Quit planning to make a game and make a game.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 17:41 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2007 17:43
Here is the latest from Geisha House...

http://www.cashcurtis.com/videos/gh2.wmv

Or, see the video at YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_9OZcohpg

Not a lot of variation in the gameplay, I'm rebuilding the world with Ageia Physics, so it is a tedious process of making everything work the same.

In this video the main things are the normal mapped sword (with shadows). It's not a hack either, every weapon supports it and can be armed by any character.

The other thing, thanks to Dark Coder's input, I integrated all three attack motions. If you don't hit anyone it won't combo. If you hit something, it will mix attack animations. I sped the combat up a bit as well. There is also an attack bonus if you hit your target at the weapon's crest rather than standing too close. I'm not actually sure if it's in the video, but it is has some white sparks that fly out with a stronger hit sound.

NPCs don't fight the same, they're bound by the standard attack animation for whatever weapon that they're holding.

Like I said, most of the changes were internal, things that matter mainly to me

@Alquerian -
Thanks for the comments. I really hope that it does help to inspire some people. It works for me as well, plus I get great feedback and tips.

I'm working on the DM2 models slowly but surely I completely redid the orc that I sent you, he was pretty messy. My real hope is that when I'm finished I can strike a deal with TGC - I'll give them the fixed up models and strike some sort of redistribution deal with them for my RPG editor. Right now the models that everyone has are just completely worthless.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 19:53 Edited at: 24th Feb 2007 02:13
Another minor update, progress on the main character...

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 22:43
Looks nice

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2007 11:53 Edited at: 24th Feb 2007 11:54
Here is a signature picture for anybody who wants. Promote Geisha House! If you like, I'll add your name to the picture.

Put this code in the signature box in your forum profile and it will work...

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2007 12:15 Edited at: 24th Feb 2007 12:59
Liking the PC! Will his armour be changeable? Like through buying new armour or looting corpses.
I'll let you know about the vid later; it is taking a while to load in youtube even though I have 8MB broadband. I'm sure it will rock though!
[Edit]Yep! I was right![/Edit]

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2007 15:58
asome

Come see the WIP!

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2007 15:59
this game is so freaking asome

Come see the WIP!

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2007 23:40
ok thats awesome cash thanks for clearing that up. what i meant by the snake thing is make the snake not do so much damage and make it a bit easier to see, also decrese its attack range. as i said im offering tips to improve the game not make it look bad

thanks

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2007 03:45
Oh snap!

Nice vid and I'm really liking the new main character. The run animation looked pretty silly though, mostly because he was swinging his arms so much. Also, I noticed the sword seemed to lag behind his arm a bit when he swung it repeatedly. And why did the fire explode? I liked how so much was destructible, but I know at least that my camp fires never come closer to exploding than a few sparks, until some moron tries to pour gasoline on it.

The amount of... everything is really impressive. There seems to be a big graphical update over the previous vid as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:07:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:07:55