Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / -Dream-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 09:07 Edited at: 30th Jan 2008 19:50

Dream is a 3D puzzle game made in Dark Basic Classic, which with all games using this engine started about two years ago. This is the final time I’ll be making a game with this engine, and it’s sort of my first venture into games as art. Once I’ve released it, you should be able to tell that it’s just as much about the art as it is about the puzzles (if not more).

Anyways, there are fifteen levels, each with a surreal dreamlike quality. The basic game mechanic is to pick up blocks and put them somewhere else, so that you can get to the door which unlocks the next level. Along the way there are keys to collect, and various obstacles to overcome. There is even a storyline, which I’ll talk about next.

For those of you who know that Dream is what became of Fabel Nux Verse, let me tell you that this is a DIFFERENT story. Fabel Nux Verse has a story that I don’t want to bog down with my current inadequacies as a programmer, so I’ll be making it later on (Not for a few years, with the amount of stuff I plan to put in the next project I want to do). Anyways, Dream is about a, well, dream. The entire game takes place within this dream, and the farther you go, the stranger and eerier the dream becomes- don’t be fooled by the cartoony graphics. Other than that, the only way you’ll figure out what the story is, is by playing it.

The controls are extremely simple, and like it or not, the camera is controlled entirely by the game. However, I’ve learned a lot in level design since I made Block Verse (this games predecessor), so there should be no problems here.

--___DEMO___--

LINK TO DEMO

Enjoy, and please post lots of Feedback.

Now, here are two youtube vids you can watch,

Here's an "Official" vid,

-------------------
CLICK HERE TO WATCH
-------------------

EYE CUT SCENE VID
"Eye" vid

Credits VID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IheR7KShDnc

STATIC VID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTWvVdQ2W80

And here are the other two, of different levels (The two levels in the vids are 2d puzzles, but they happen to be the only 2d puzzles in the game).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUmdFwa2rg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfc-FrdL9ZU

CURRENT VID
VID LINK, CLICK HERE

And here are two screens I posted in the gallery a while ago. They are the 12th and 14th levels.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 17:30
Awesome as always. Also, as always, when you are ready for the music then I'll help if I can.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 01:49
Nice style, looks great .

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 09:06
Aww.... The last one.
Well, still, good job. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

-db

What? You mean I cant sleep here???
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 09:07
good job

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 14:49
Really nice.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 03:19
This looks like those other block games you've made. Hopefully it will come out even better! Good luck

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 04:36
Thanks everyone.

Here's an "official" vid. The black flashes are where the shorter vids are spliced together.

-------------------
CLICK HERE TO WATCH
-------------------

And believe it or not, this is really only the second block game I've made. The first was BlockVerse. Here's a pic of it

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 02:52
So... no comments on the vid? Ok.

Here's a sample of the major story component of Dream.

Normal version of level

Static version of level

Does anyone have any advice on how to distinguish the static version even more visually (or even just make it look better)?

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 03:30 Edited at: 21st Aug 2007 18:58
Vid was good.
Maybe pixalate the textures some more and less blur. Also try making there outlines grey.

Your about to get pwned.
Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 05:17
very pro i liked the movie, looks like a good puzzle game. i'm wondering if you'll set it up where you beat one level at a time, or are you just going to have the level select screen. i saw that one block was locked.

as for makeing it stand out more...i'd say saturate the colors a lot, put more contrast between the character and level. for non graphics, shake the camera, have the letters shake as well, with a blur

just my suggestions

looking great, keep it up

MOONDOG

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 09:25
You should make the player (And what I believe to be the health bar) greyscale (black and white).

Cheers,

-db

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 16:53
Thanks for the suggestions, I used most of them. The one I didn't use was changing the player to grayscale, because not doing so was a deliberate style decision. I went with making more contrast between him and the level.

Anyways, the static looks really good now (though I think I'll have to put a warning that people with epilepsy not play). I've also added some particle effects, after deciding to take a while and actually figure out how to make them myself. It was surprisingly easy, and I can make a complex set of particles in just five lines of code now (though I admit my code is far more compressed that most coders... in fact, most other coders can't read my code at all, though it's very easy for me).

And guess what?

I've got all the music! A while back, zzz gave me a link to a free music site, and I've just looked around it carefully, and found the five game song I needed. There so close to what I had in my head that it's almost scary. I gives a lot of character to the game.

Dream is very close to completion now, with little more than some saving routines, and a level with a cut scene left. There's more I'm sure I'll do, but not much more is required than what I stated.

I'll post some new media with my next update, but for now I'm just giving a progress report.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:04
Sounds great, I can't wait for you to release a demo of some kind, because this looks to be a fun and challenging puzzle game...and it has a story, something you don't see much in puzzle games.

Keep up the hard work.

MOONDOG

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:23
Nice video, looks very professional and like a fun game . Can't wait for a demo, keep up the good work .

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 06:42
ok then.

Will you allow there to be options such as resolution, and windowed/fullscreen (specifically windowed/fullscreen)?

Cheers,

-db

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 18:13
unless he uses a .dll, i don't think db supports window mode...though i havn't programed in db since before dbp was released

moondog

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 02:28
I have programmed in DBC, and it most definately does. SET WINDOW ON

Cheers,

-db

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah! I tried it out. Mighty cool, I didnt know dbc could do that.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 20:33
lol...like i said, i haven't programed in DBC since DBP came out, and then i was too busy re-writing all my code, lol! i thought it was a DBP exclusive command

fxgamer:
the only limit i ever had in dbc was vertex animation and shaders...which back when i first started working in DBC, there was no such thing as shaders, well, not like we see today. And limbed humanoids were still accepted

though bizar has done a wonderful job with the style of the game, which can only be achieved through good coding and complementary graphics

MOONDOG

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 06:05 Edited at: 9th May 2007 06:52
I forgot to answer some questions before, so I'm posting before I've got the vid of the static up (I'll try and post it towmarow morning).

First off, the levels are unlocked as you complete the ones before them, so that you have to play in linear progression. You can replay any level you want and get any keys you missed though.

And yes, there will be different resolution and color settings, as this will effect the framerate on older computers. As for a windowed mode, I'm not sure. I tried playing it that way and wasn't particularly impressed, though others might prefer it. Wait and see.

About the style and graphics, I really appreciate the compliments. One of the reasons I've been working on this so long is I keep finding more and better ways to do graphics in dbc. Where I am now, I've learned so much so fast, that I could actually make a far better looking game in dbc, though I feel I'm basically done with this puzzle game engine. I may make one more game in dbc, just to make a point about graphics, using the movement and physics systems I'm currently developing. It would be really cool to make a game in dbc that holds its own against a gamecube or xbox title or even surpasses it.

In other news, guess what! I'm color blind and need glasses!! I just got an eye exam today, and I discovered that I completely failed that color-number test that shows if you're color blind or not. It's not that I can't see certain colors, but that see different colors than most people. Pretty weird, seeing as I consider myself to be quite good with color. I also discovered that I'm just ever so slightly near sighted, which I hadn't noticed at all. Probably because I see a lot more than most everyone around me. Well, next week I'll start wearing glasses, and if it negatively effects my creative endeavors, I'll probably keep them in a drawer 99% of the time.

Edit: Oh yes, there will be no demos between now and the release. This is because Dream is freeware, and so close to completion it would be silly to post a demo.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
So does that mean you see like,as example orange as purple?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 14:41 Edited at: 9th May 2007 14:42
I can't say orange looks like purple to me, because I don't know what other people think orange looks like. I've always seen colors the way I do, so I have no idea what colors other people are seeing. I don't think what I see can be much different though, because up until now no one has noticed and I actually distinguish most colors better than others.

Here's the static vid. For some reason when I put the fraps vid in movie maker, the speed of the camera jitter was cut in half. Sorry about that, because it doesn't look nearly as good in the vid as it does in the game.

STATIC VID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTWvVdQ2W80

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool beans.But yeah the cam jitters kind of slow in the movie, still I love the static keep it up.

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 15:40
very neat video !

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 17:53
Good to see your project in the WIP:
Keep up the good work!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 18:18
That´s a really nice video, kinda creepy...

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 10:12
I have a suggestion for the "static" portion. You should make some form of electricity continuously flash/fly through the scene every so often.

Cheers,

-db

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 01:15
Sorry for not posting in a while. I've had some issues such as a grandfather dying, finals, and a date, which have made it rather difficult to code. I'm back at it now, and pushing to finish before the end of the month (the likely-hood of this happening I'd put at 42%, with a 19% range or error).

I'm working on the pause screen, making sure the menu works right and that everything actually pauses, and the credits. The credits are pretty awesome, and I've built them like a level (I'll show a vid when they're finished).

I've also finished a mini comic and begun the design doc for my next game (I'm up to 12 pages of text and concept art) in this time period. So, I've been rally busy.

Oh yeah, I've finally gotten around to getting my licence, so I'm doing that now to. I'm kind of sick of being the only one I know who doesn't have one.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 07:21
Sorry about your grandfather. Sucks about the finals, and awsome about the date, and getting back to coding. (Or perhaps not awsome about the date, depending how it went)

Cheers,

-db

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 15:29 Edited at: 22nd May 2007 15:30
Everything happens for a reason in life....or at least that's what the gnome under my bead told me, but I think he's a little weird, he eats my socks if I leave them on the floor.

anyway, can't wait to see this finished. are you going to sell the game? i think it would be very successful. Your one of the few DBP users who actually finishes projects and at such high quality. lol

i'm also very curious as to your next project.

MOONDOG

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 18:27 Edited at: 22nd May 2007 18:29
The date was very good...

Everything DOES happen for a reason. That's a fact. Try and think of anything that has happened without some sort of cause and effect relationship. Perhaps at a subatomic level there is random, but after that everything is cause and effect. Now, whether something has a higher purpose, I'm not going to make any asumptions about that...

QUESTION
Would this really sell well? The truth is that I'm going to really need money soon, and it would mean a higher production cost for Adventure 19 (code name for my next game). It would also mean I'd take a few more weeks and really pour my heat into fixing all the lose ends an beefing up the polish even more (Summer break starts for me in a little over a week).

...If I did sell Dream, I would make it so the demo would stop you at a really interesting time, and ask to buy. It would take you to a page where you could buy it, and as soon as you did, it would return you to where you were so you could continue playing. This is how I got Dreamfall, and it was the most effective way to make me buy a game I'd ever experienced.

Could people please answer the questions below?

If I sold this,
1) would you buy it?
2) for how much?
3) how much play time would you expect?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 18:33
Quote: "1) would you buy it?
2) for how much?
3) how much play time would you expect?"

1) Possibly, if I liked it enough
2) no more than $10
3) at least a few hours.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 19:16
1) if it lives up to your vids, yes
2) $15-$20
3 8-10 hours

MOONDOG

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
I have followed this a while and I really like what you are doing with it!

1) No - Not due to lack of quality at all, but just because I wouldn't buy a puzzle game...
2) I am generally unlikely to buy any game anyway (You guessed it, I am stingy! ), and once the price gets too low, you begin to wonder about the quality of the product!
3) Ages! It looks like a great game, I would play it as long as it took me to complete! I don't generaly go for puzzlers, but this one reminds me of one I had on my mobile ages ago... Monkiki or something!

Really great game! Keep up the great work!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 01:17
I would buy it for under $15 (If it was "easy" to buy), and would expect a few hours of play. Though I bought some games before, never played 'em once.

Cheers,

-db

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well id pay 5-15$ for it but your building it off the engine of an already free game, not the greatest idea in the world.

I like my sig.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 03:59 Edited at: 23rd May 2007 06:07
Well, this is actually a much better response than I expected. Like WAY better.

Quote: "but your building it off the engine of an already free game, not the greatest idea in the world."

that's true, but for one the original game was distributed to practically no one, and even just engine wise, I'd say the difference between Dream and BlockVerse is almost as big as the difference between BlockVerse and Block Dude (the calc game). A very valid point though. I would have done this differently if I had made this with the idea to sell it in mind...

Well, I started making a list of what extra I'd do if I sold this, and the biggest thing on the list is the edition of 4 more cut scenes (bringing it to a total of 5), which would seriously improve the story. There are also a lot of little bits of extra polish I'd add, but I'm trying to think of a way to make the game last longer. You see, if you're just an ok puzzle solver, this COULD take you up to 4-8 hours (Just a guess, I have only had two people test, and I didn't time them really). An amazing puzzler may be able to beat it in 2-4 (I think). Then, if I count the story components and the keys, that could add an extra 30 minutes or an entire hour. These are all guesses though, and I think I'd need more to at least put out a decent demo. I mean, the entire game could end up taking most people no more than 2 hours for all I know. I'll try to think of more ways to beef up the gameplay (probably additional challenges once you beat a level, like time and step counting).

And, here is the reason I posted. The Credits Beta [edit]whoops, I mean Alpha[/edit] Vid! They're pretty cool, and demonstrate the first 'thing' using my cut scene code. All the sound issues are due to the difficulty of capturing this when it's longer than :30.

[edit]I recommend watching it in full screen so you can read the words...[/edit]

[edit2]And just to show everyone the next update, here's a partialy done pause menu. You may notice the game is slightly clouded. It's easier to tell in game.

[/edit2]

Also everyone, please keep telling me

If I sold this,
1) would you buy it?
2) for how much?

if you haven't already.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 13:41 Edited at: 23rd May 2007 13:41
heh, awesome, i like the credits

i would consider adding in a time trial and step count as you suggested for beefing up gameplay. then have unlockable content, like alternate costumes, or alternate cut scenes, or unlock concept art or production screens. Or maybe even add a backwards mode, where you play the level backwards

MOONDoG

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 14:42 Edited at: 23rd May 2007 14:42
Quote: "where you play the level backwards "

That would be cool,but he would have to position the blocks differently.Still though, if he sells it id bet it would do good. 12$ would be a fair price for maybe a 5-10 hour game thats fun
but dont go too much over or too much under.

I like my sig.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 15:59
Ha! I'm such a moron. I answered you both and had a bunch of text, and then realized I needed to post the update! So I edited the last update message so I could copy it, and when I came back, low and behold! My response was gone! Anyways, I'm definitely taking both of what you said into account, but now you'll have to wait until I post a list of final features to see which ideas I'll use.

And here is the reason I posted. This is the update from the last page, so no one misses it (got the idea from Cash. Thanks Cash!)

LAST UPDATE:
Well, I started making a list of what extra I'd do if I sold this, and the biggest thing on the list is the edition of 4 more cut scenes (bringing it to a total of 5), which would seriously improve the story. There are also a lot of little bits of extra polish I'd add, but I'm trying to think of a way to make the game last longer. You see, if you're just an ok puzzle solver, this COULD take you up to 4-8 hours (Just a guess, I have only had two people test, and I didn't time them really). An amazing puzzler may be able to beat it in 2-4 (I think). Then, if I count the story components and the keys, that could add an extra 30 minutes or an entire hour. These are all guesses though, and I think I'd need more to at least put out a decent demo. I mean, the entire game could end up taking most people no more than 2 hours for all I know. I'll try to think of more ways to beef up the gameplay (probably additional challenges once you beat a level, like time and step counting).

And, here is the reason I posted. The Credits Beta [edit]whoops, I mean Alpha[/edit] Vid! They're pretty cool, and demonstrate the first 'thing' using my cut scene code. All the sound issues are due to the difficulty of capturing this when it's longer than :30.

[edit]I recommend watching it in full screen so you can read the words...[/edit]

[edit2]And just to show everyone the next update, here's a partialy done pause menu. You may notice the game is slightly clouded. It's easier to tell in game.

[/edit2]

Also everyone, please keep telling me

If I sold this,
1) would you buy it?
2) for how much?

if you haven't already.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 16:09
Looks awesome!

1) would you buy it? - yes
2) for how much? - up to £9.99
3) how much play time would you expect? - at least 3 hours

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
1) if it had enough replay value and if i had acess
2)up to £15
3) At least 3 hours start and a level editor so i could make my own levels

[link]"http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/user/Dared1111/" my account on GGE[\link]
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 06:52 Edited at: 28th May 2007 19:22
I went through the entire game and timed myself, and have concluded that in its current state, to merely get through all the levels and get all the keys, it is physically impossible to complete dream in less than 40 minutes. As in, if you've completely memorized every single level, and know all the fastest possible routes, and are a wiz with the controls, you can beat it in 40 minutes. I'm guessing it would take at the very least 3-4 hours to complete the first time around (for good puzzle solvers), not including extra modes such as time trial and step count, which are both unlocked once you beat the level in question. Beating the game would also unlock some things that might make you want to play through some of the levels a few more times...

Quote: "and a level editor so i could make my own levels"

It seems like something that would be obvious, but making a level editor that the public could use would be like writing an entirely new game itself. And really, making the levels is not nearly as fun as you'd think. Making a decent level that is actually viewable at all times is very hard, and because I wasn't able to make my smart camera work, the camera would fail miserably 99% of the time. IF I was good yet at making editors, then maybe it would be an option, but because the camera is not player controlled, such a thing is out of the question.

Okay, UPDATE.
I've been doing tons of work, and have been replacing all the old sections of the code. It made about a 1 fps difference, and reduced the load times by a few seconds, so mostly the difference is code-wise. The important thing about this is I've found a ton of errors DBC didn't catch, many of which I believe caused strange and unexplainable problems on some peoples pcs. I've also organized the media, which is just useful in general.
On the visual side of things, I've added facial animation, and a "squish" effect, which both look awesome. The character really looks organic now, something I hadn't thought I'd be able to do. They're not worth their own vid, but I'll make sure to show them in the next one.

I've updated my website with current information about Dream. An interesting note, I have 64 members, despite the fact that currently membership does squat. This will change I think around the time Dream comes out... and eventualy, I will set up a forum that will be used for something or other, most likely something to do with Project 19 (edit: whoops, I mean Adventure 19).
It looks like I will sell this, but please keep answering the 3 questions if you haven't already.

Edit:
Here's a pic from one of the cut scenes that will be in the demo. When it is finished, I'll post a vid of it.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 05:51
Haha, i love the style you went with for this game. I'm hoping you keep that for your 'Project 19'. Looks like some shiz is going down...that eye.

MOONDOG

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 05:55
Turn the water a shade of black, add some really creepy music, and you got yourself one scary cutscene

Looks really good!

1) Would you buy it? - If I had money, yes
2) For how much? - $9.99
3) How much play time would you expect? - 5 hours of good fun

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 06:00
1. yes
2. $10.00
3. 3 hours.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 19:21
@Moondog, thanks. Adventure 19 is totally under wraps for now though.

@Xenocythe, Black water no, but creepy music yes! It's just that at this point the game is only at the tip of whats going on.

Here's a link to the WIP vid of the cut scene. There are a lot of visual and sound effects missing, and fraps really screwed it up, but here it is.

WIP CUT SCENE VID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIxhxgla3SU

It was actually a lot easier to make than I thought. My cut scene code works a good deal better than I expected. Depending on how things go, I may increase the number of cut scenes.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 00:03
Nice cutscene, bizar. I was working on cutscenes myself for the bossfight in sh, but I got tired so now I´m messin´ with gravity in dbp.
anyway
A play time of 3 to 4 hours is very, VERY good.

Professional.

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 00:04
very nice, would be nice to see a few of these in game.

MOONDOG

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:29:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:29:13