Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 19:23 Edited at: 17th Aug 2007 19:29
Starting another project now, currently in Engine stage, what the game will be, I've got a choice of 3 game design plans, doesn't matter which I start with, because they'll all need the engine I'm building anyway and as I am using test media to build the engine, which project I choose it will be a surprise. Okay people who saw my 'Game Design Theory' thread might ask what about Odin's Castle? Well I plan all of my projects/plans to be completed and then one I'll do will be the one I feel most suited to when the engine stage is over.

This has taken a lot of work to do so far, though most of my work has been coming up with decisions and various shader tests and other programming tests. Plus working with LUA to set up different things. The main part of the engine is starting to come together from all of the scattered source files - so that's control, collision, media, shaders etc. I've written most of the battle engine, except I haven't implemented it into the main project.

The only current shader feature at the moment is parallax mapping (Other shaders in the testing stage have been soft shadows, normal mapping, bloom, post bloom, depth (this killed the FPS rate) and water)

I get a constant FPS of 50, that's with 2 character models and a 7k poly building.

I'll probably get told off for working on the graphic side at the same time, but I've been coding each part separately and I feel with how the scripts are set out that by doing it this way it actually saves time.

Screenshots (Probably not clear yet, but our little dwarf friend is parallax mapped, if I were to bring the light down to his level you'd really notice it):

Video (I don't know if this is too dark, I've always found videos play darker than other things do on screen):

Older Testing Screenshots:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/seppuku05/Dwarfnormalmap.jpg
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/seppuku05/?action=view¤t=NormalMappingandbloomod3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/seppuku05/harikiri3.jpg

Engine Features (Include those in testing Sources):

= Done
= Working On it
= Not Done

Player Stats =
Enemy Stats =
Battle Engine =
Save/Load =
Static Entity System =
Loading System =
Inventory/pick up =
NPC Entity =
Enemy Entity =
RPG Conversation System =
Parallax Mapping =
Movement/Camera =
Animations =
Scripting =
Collision =

Hakuna Matata
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 19:39
Looking good! I think that you should make the character fall faster, and have the falling speed increase based on how long he's falling. Other than that, looking really good!

By the way, who's dwarf model is that? If it's yours, good job. If it's not, good job to whoever made it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 19:45
Cheers, well the Dwarf model I would though most people would be familiar with, it's one of Psionic 3D's free lot, it's really good to use as test media. My own 3D media will be implemented after the engine stage, I'm just using 'placeholder' stuff for now.

As for the character fall, I agree, I'll change it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and finish off the battle engine and implement it into the main engine.

Hakuna Matata
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 20:49
good luck with your game seppuku.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 21:14
Hmm.. seppuku i was thinking if you may be intrested on my ffx battle engine? I have tried to make it close as i can get of the real ffx battle system.. Ive got status effects magics attack etc basic things.. and almost act list yes.. I finally got act list working only thing i need to do is to fill it in correct way so i need to tune it a little

Btw.

your engine looks very similar to my magic-saga engine what i stopped.. Really great!

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 22:16
Cheers,

Roxas, I've already begun on my battle system, but thanks for the offer on your FFX one, though mine will have similarities, but I guess all of the similarities will be down to the fact we're both Final Fantasy fanatics - I was going to go for something more mobile with my system, kind of like FFXII but then I remembered what I was going to go for with Ronin and thought, well why not keep to that as the system is already there and planned quite well in my head - plus it makes the revival of Ronin easier when the time comes.

Hakuna Matata
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 01:12
I thought you said you were done with programming because of a heart condition or something stress related. Glad you're back at it though, as long as you're not endangering your health.

I really hope you finish this one. You seem to get closer with every rpg engine you build, and I think you owe it to yourself to finish one.

On the art side of things, what kind of style are you going for? Just realism, horror realism, elongated stuff, lifelike anime, cartoon-realism, or what? (I assume it's something detailed given the shaders you're using)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 01:44
Quote: "I thought you said you were done with programming because of a heart condition or something stress related. Glad you're back at it though, as long as you're not endangering your health."

I did, but that was only during my A Levels, the whole process of doing my A Levels was stressful as it was, programming and modelling didn't help - but A Levels are over as my results thread shows, so with nothing bugging me on my mind I've been able to return to programming for over a month now. And cheers, I'm glad to be back at it.

Quote: "I really hope you finish this one. You seem to get closer with every rpg engine you build, and I think you owe it to yourself to finish one."

I do too, my failed works were partially down to inexperience, before, I never used other people's models as 'placeholder material', I couldn't model as quickly as I could now and well LUA seems to be proving itself very handy - plus doubling my RAM has helped in the performance side, remember Shadow Behind the Leaves got a 5-15fps rate, terrible. This time I have a system that should see me to the end.

Quote: "On the art side of things, what kind of style are you going for? Just realism, horror realism, elongated stuff, lifelike anime, cartoon-realism, or what? (I assume it's something detailed given the shaders you're using)"

I'm sort of going to go for something slightly realistic - with a sense of detail - might go for the anime feel, being the Final Fantasy fan and all, but may give it a miss. As for the horror feel, I want moments where that is the case, but what I'll go for won't only be like that - I'll have brighter moments. If I get a good momentum on this, I might revive a dead project, like Ronin straight into this, but I won't promise anything at this stage and just focus on the progress of this RPG Engine.

Hakuna Matata
Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
i love the mapping on the models. If anything, you can probably modify it to be a resident evil game engine LOL just a thought XD

oh, if u r looking for more placeholders, go here
http://www.3drt.com/downloads.htm
I used some of those when i was making my engine, very useful.

Good luck with the engine =]
Nack

Nream is DONE! 3D Adventure Maker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 12:11
It probably could be modified to be like that, one day I may do, cheers.

And thanks for the link, I'm sure they'll be most useful.

Thanks.

Hakuna Matata
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 13:02
I like that a lot, I can always appreciate a rpg being made, good luck with this seppuku.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 16:41 Edited at: 18th Aug 2007 16:45
Cheers Zombie

I've done the attacking side of the battle engine, then I'll do items and work up to magic as these all require a basic inventory system before I chuck them in. It's not the most realistic system, but its what I want - it can always be improved later if need be. I might return to this later today, but I'm gonna give it a rest at the moment.
SCREENS:

VIDEO (I noticed by watching this, when the player does the killing blow he doesn't do his attack animation - I'll fix this bug):

Hakuna Matata
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 17:18
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like a nice traditional RPG battle system. Make sure to plan out data management ahead of time. Hopefully LUA will make that easy. Good luck on completing this one.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 20:29
Jimpo and Xenocythe, cheers. As for the data management, it's all planned amongst my loose LUA scripts and DBA source files I've made when building towards the engine. I've been working on the battle part a bit more this afternoon and for once, I'm happy with how it's coming together. If progress goes this smoothly then I'll have the engine ready before I go to university.

Thanks.

Hakuna Matata
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome... I love it! But why does it look like it has been raining? Everything is shiny... Looks like you really based it on englandLOL(Don't be offended because I live in England)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 12:43
Cheers, shininess is due to the Parallax Mapping, I should be able to turn down the specular on the shader if I wanted to, but I'm keeping the shader at default for now and leave any tweaking for later. But I suppose I could leave it and say, 'Hey it's England, what do you expect?'

Hakuna Matata
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 16:07
I'm nearly there with the battle engine - afters I'll need to tidy up all of the code.

But say hello to Magic and Skills:

There are 4 magic types as you can see that can be levelled up - also, the particle data will be controlled by scripts (the variables are all ready to go into the scripts)

The skills all do different animation attacks, this is one reason I love the dwarf model because they're already animated into the model, so he has attack based on those animations.

Hakuna Matata
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 16:15
hahah ready for a non-constructive post? COOOOOOL! Keep it up buddy, I'm a big fan of dwarfs and I'm starting a cool D and D esque project in October. I can't wait to see how this turns out

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 16:18
lol thanks, good lick with your project. As for the dwarf, just nab him from Psionic 3D's website - he may come in handy when coding your D&D esque project.

Hakuna Matata
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 16:20
haha np, but this one is going to be a text/graphics for battle system only. Thaks for the luck and best wishes on this, do you have a big 'ol story for our young dwarf here?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 16:28
No problem.

Quote: "do you have a big 'ol story for our young dwarf here?"

Well, this is just an engine I'm using the dwarf for - once the engine is complete, which project plan I go for is a surprise (people who have seen my previous project attempts will see some failed game design plans - this project means either reviving one or going for a new idea) The reason it's a surprise is because I haven't chosen yet - that will mean I will be ditching our friend the dwarf and replacing him with my own graphics. So yeah, they'll be a nice story with this.

Hakuna Matata
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 16:33
Very glad to hear it..you can do it, so long as people here want to make the effort for their game I will more than likely be there supporting it.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 17:52
good stuff, looks quite interesting. The only criticism i can offer right now is that it is very very dark, although they are probably placeholder graphics.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 17:58
Thanks, the reason it's dark is because I haven't played with the shader variable for something lighting, I haven't felt the need to just yet - but for my next update I will see to that the image is lighter.

Hakuna Matata
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 18:41
Looks really great

[center]
Unlordly
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great, although i don' think normal mapping the ground has a very good effect, probably just me though.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 21:37
Looks good Seppuku, hope you finish this one. If you need inspiration, be sure to check out the Equillibrium demos at the DBP showcase. Those always inspire me when I work on an RPG.

Can't wait to see more though.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 21:45
Cheers guys.

Quote: "If you need inspiration, be sure to check out the Equillibrium demos at the DBP showcase. Those always inspire me when I work on an RPG."

I saw that when I bought DBC in the first place, even went onto their website and kept an eye on it as they had two games on the way that seemed awesome and then all traces of them just vanished...I wonder whatever did happen to those guys. Equilibrium's source code didn't make sense when I was using DBC - but now I'll see what inspiration I'll find.

And yes, I hope I finish this too, as it'll be a first.

Hakuna Matata
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 00:29
Seppuku, that is quite amazing looking. Good luck with this.

Cheers,

-naota

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 14:19
Looks good, it's dark, i like dark, dark is good.

It's too early to say much of it yet.

One thing, the combat, it looked alittle wierd with them midgets standing there, taking a swing with the axe now and then. It looked as they weren't that much interested in fighting, like they are long lost brothers trapped in a situation were they have been forced to fight eachother. But as you said it's open to improvement.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 14:42
Cheers, and indeed, I'm just sticking with Psionic's animations, so if that's where the passion is gone, it'll come in with my own animated models. I'm just going for the finish line mainly at the moment - once I've hit it, then they'll be room for improvements.

As for dark, I can easily change the ambient levels of the shader for lighter moments - there you can clearly see that ambient is set at 0.0, I tried 1.0 and it looked pretty damn bright.

Hakuna Matata
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Seppuku try 0.5 on the ambience.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 12:04
Already have Well sorry for the lack of updates, last couple of days I've not felt too well and didn't have the energy to do any programming, I mean yesterday I woke up at midday, yeah I'm a lazy git

Hakuna Matata
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 15:20 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2007 15:21
Not a big update as I haven't been able to work on it properly. It's just a bug update and everything in the battle engine works - it now needs to be made into a proper function with global variables that run off of LUA - but I'll do all of that once the inventory system is complete - so I can tidy everything up for a mod-able demo - I'll provide documentation on 'how to do stuff'. Then I'll get onto the conversation stuff, NPC interaction - item interaction and 'triggers'. Also someone some else requested a cel shading ability - this will be added amongst other changes in my own 'modded' versions of the engine. (So cel shading instead of parallax mapping etc.)

So...the final battle engine video - with one bug (The enemy doesn't do his 'casting' animation) The enemy now does random attacks, which are 'Attack', 'Spinning Blow' and 'Cast Fire'

It's also lighter - I set the ambience to 0.4.

The FPS rate on the recording is bad - probably about 10fps, I get 30fps when running normally and I'm sure those with more up-to-date machines will get the full 60fps.
The video isn't seamless as it's 3 fraps videos merged together:

Hakuna Matata
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 20:51
I like the engine.
I think you can redecue the bright a little.
Do you speak spanish?
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hablo español (por Google Translator) realmente que yo no lo hacen pero tú lo saben.LOL
Love the new vid.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 21:47
Cheers, as for the brightness - it's fully adjustable in the script - I probably won't adjust the brightness again for the progress of the engine.

And no I don't speak Spanish, well I know a couple of words and that's about it, why do you ask?

Hakuna Matata
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 21:59
because the name of the video.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 22:24
That battle engine looks cool. I'll be watching how this progresses...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 00:27
Quote: "because the name of the video."

Typos and laziness are the reasons for the title

@Code Dragon, cheers.

Hakuna Matata
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 13:41
Apologies guys, I've got that problem again, the heart pulpatations (sp? Firefox doesn't recognise it) again, this means a lot less computer time...again, at least I don't have any exams which means I don't have to give any thing up, just cut a lot of time out, which means slow progress on this - but still I'll aim for my 'before uni' engine deadline.

Hakuna Matata

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:09:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:09:00