Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Shooter - 1-4 Player Shoot-em-up

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 19:26 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 05:01

Shooter is about as simple to play as you get, 4 buttons to move, 1 button to shoot. Players create a pilot and join their 3 partners, AI or human. Together you embark on a mission to defeat the Solaris Army by destroying key warships, and eventually, the mothership. Players choose a level, shoot things, pickup power-ups and money, and defeat the boss. After each level, you can purchase upgrades or repaint your ship. Shooter is designed as a multilayer game, so it is easy to pick up and play.

Features:
1-4 players
10 Levels
Stage and Endurance Modes
5 Weapons
Over 20 Enemies
Over 25 Ship Paint Schemes
Over 45 Upgrades
Customizable Controls (Keyboard + Joystick)

Screens:

Download!

For 4 players:
Fitting 4 people on a keyboard is impractical, but there are ways to get around it. The easiest way is to use Joy2Key to map multiple joysticks to the keyboard. My friends personally used a USB bluetooth device to sync Wii-motes up with the computer.

Any comments or suggestions for my next project? Any feedback is appreciated.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 21:13
I couldn't even enter my name as I had to apparently press the Control key which does nothing on this (Japanese)keyboard, why not use a more common key like Enter :/.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 22:01
Very addictive.

I am still not getting to level 2. Will post again when I am there.. ^^

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I couldn't even enter my name as I had to apparently press the Control key which does nothing on this (Japanese)keyboard, why not use a more common key like Enter :/."

Sorry, I forgot to mention the controls inputs were designed for an American keyboard. Put the attached file in the games directory to switch it from control to enter. Tell me if it works.

Quote: "Very addictive.

I am still not getting to level 2. Will post again when I am there.. ^^"

I hope the game isn't too hard. Make sure to upgrade you ship.

Here's a tip, most bosses can't be damaged unless you hit their weak spot. You'll hear a special damage sound effect when you hit it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 00:19 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 02:32
OK, got to level 4 now. It's pretty funny, but the upgrades don't really seem to work. Or I just don't see it... I upgreaded 2 weapons, maxshield+shield and fire rate but nothing seems to change.

Edit: I've read the readme now. But still don't getting level 4 done.

Edit2: Now I had an error in level 4: Sprite does not exist at line 12659. (Wow, that's much code )

Edit3: Help! I played Level 4 more then 10 times now, I always get to the boss, but can't defeat him.. because there doesn't seem to be a way to not be hit by this uber-pwnage-aim-bullets. Is there any trick, or do I have to earn more money to upgrade the engine to be faster or so..?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Help! I played Level 4 more then 10 times now, I always get to the boss, but can't defeat him.. because there doesn't seem to be a way to not be hit by this uber-pwnage-aim-bullets. Is there any trick, or do I have to earn more money to upgrade the engine to be faster or so..?"

Boss 4 is tricky. If you watch the AI players, they aim at the light blue parts on top and bottom of the boss. If you hit the center part, the boss will take no damage and return fire. The boss dies once both the top and bottom crack off.

Anyone else try the game? I'm interested to see if the game is too hard.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 21:40 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 21:56
@ dark coder - the instrucitons are a little vague. i think i had to use the RIGHT CONTROL button to get it to work.
edit: i was wrong. it was the left ctrl for me.

@ jimpo - not bad. gave it a round or 2 and it's fun. there are some issues with multiple key presses in your controls which can make shooters like this overly difficult and sometimes frustrating (trying to move at angles, ie up+right, etc). to alleviate some of that, why not make the fire button a toggle switch for "auto fire". i held the control button down the entire time anyway; there was no apparent reason in the first level to enter marksman mode and fire a single, perfectly timed shot and it didn't appear to draw off my energy, so... otherwise, not a bad game, and i really appreciate the fact that it's multi-player (tho i haven't tested 2+ yet).

btw, 50+ megs for this? is it all music? you might want to lower that for the next project using smaller mp3's or whatever format you're using for music (if my assumption is correct in what's making up the bulk of the file size).

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 21:47
zip please......
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 22:59 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 23:38
Dark Dragon, the file is too large to upload to the forums.

Has no one else played the game?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 23:31 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 23:33
darn!!....
could you break it up into 2 zips pleaseeeeeee? i....i....i'm dyin' to play itttt....
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 00:21
Just download winRAR what sane PC user doesn't have it?

Also I played the game and it was pretty cool, the main thing that bugged me was enemy bullets sometimes move at the same speed as the power ups making it almost impossible to get some without getting hit, and when you come across the enemy fighters that shoot you it's also very hard to hit them without getting hit yourself as they just follow you meaning you have to travel through their line of fire every now and then, if they fired in bursts then you could use better tactics that hiding behind the other ships and let them get hit.

Other things you might want to look at are the upgrades, I had this nice red swarm like gun then flew into a power up that changed it to a green bullet I believe, did my old one run out or did it downgrade my gun?

Also I think having some sort of rechargeable shield(I didn't notice one?) would make fighting the enemy fighters much easier.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 03:20
Nice. I like the gameplay, sound, AI, overall very nice. I don't have time to play it in depth now so I'll give more feedback soon.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 14:09
Downloading now. I'll give you some feedback a little later!

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 17:11 Edited at: 29th Aug 2007 17:12
Quote: "Just download winRAR what sane PC user doesn't have it"

me:-\
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 21:59
You do realize in the time it took you to post these messages you could have already downloaded it, stop being lazy.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "could you break it up into 2 zips pleaseeeeeee?"

My version of WinRAR can only make split .rar files. You're not aloud to download 1 single file from a website other than this?

Quote: "I had this nice red swarm like gun then flew into a power up that changed it to a green bullet I believe, did my old one run out or did it downgrade my gun"

The type of bullets you shoot is based on what powerups you pick up. If you pick up a different bullet type, your old one will go away. The more you pick up in a row of the same type/color, the stronger the weapon will become.

Also, there is a powerup to recharge your shield. It's a dark blue "+".

Quote: "I don't have time to play it in depth now so I'll give more feedback soon."

Quote: "I'll give you some feedback a little later!"

Looking forward to it.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 05:05
Quote: "My version of WinRAR can only make split .rar files. You're not aloud to download 1 single file from a website other than this?"

no. dont worry about it....i'm okay...
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Apparently my old host went down, so I uploaded the files somewhere else. Even though this game wasn't very popular, if you missed it the first time, the game is back online to download. The first post has been edited with the new link.

There have been some minor changes since I originally uploaded:
Default key is Enter as requested
Fixed crash bug
Better documentation

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:20:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:20:32