Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Project Thor - Sci-Fi / Horror Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 20:13 Edited at: 15th Dec 2007 13:07
PROJECT THOR

PROJECT THOR by Cipher Software.

---

[Foreword]

You may remember Project Thor as being one of the entries for the PGPS Winter Game Competition in September/Novemember 2007. For this competition I created Project Thor, a sci-fi/horror game. Due to several major bugs in FPS Creator, Project Thor never got finished or anywhere near a releasable state. I still entered it into the competition, but unsurprisingly I did not end up as one of the 5 finalists.

However, NOW I've found my way past the bugs, and after contacting TGC, they gave me a solution and I've now managed to get back on track with the game. I could not submit Level 3 for the competition since FPSC refused to compile it, so it left me with an unfinished 2 level game. But now, after the competition, I have as much time as I need to finish this game and release it to the world.

So, here it is: Project Thor!

----

[The Story]

You awaken in a dark, damp room deep underground. With no knowledge of where you are or what you've done, you slowly get up, looking around. A sign on the wall says "Vault # 928". Around you there are some crates and barrels. Looking up, you see a small air vent shaft - and you realise you must escape...

Two years earlier: A man known only as "Zamiel" is in an important meeting with the head of the Military and the man in charge of the country's secret service. The Prime Minister is sitting at one end of the table looking through a folder of papers. Zamiel briefs the three men on his potential ideas for the future. They all nod their heads and agree.

The Prime Minister opens the folder and removes a thick sheet of paper, embossed and appearing official. He removes a pen from his pocket and signs his name on the first of the four lines written at the bottom of the certificate. He passes it on to the next man, then the next, until finally it reaches Zamiel for signing. He writes his name on the fourth line, and with that signature, seals your fate...

One year earlier: Zamiel is sitting at his desk in his office. A laptop sits on his desk, and he is fiddling with a pen in his anxiety. Suddenly the door bursts open and Professor Borr bursts into the room - "Sir! Sir! We have done it! We have done it!". Zamiel leaps out of his chair and cheers. He runs over and hugs Professor Borr in this joyous moment... but all of a sudden, they fall to the ground, as a massive explosion and screams are heard coming from nearby...

This is Project Thor. The Government's secret project to create genetically enhanced humans for army use. But then, what happens when it all goes wrong...

The genetically enhanced human experiments start to mutate, to change, and to transform into something else - something bigger, faster, stronger... but no longer human...

You flee from your cell, smashing down the railings with a sudden burst of adrenalin, and run for your life, as bodies fall around you, and the new era of better humans regresses into something more sinister...

PROJECT THOR: Coming in 2008

---

There we go! The above is the storyline for the intro to the game. From this point downwards, I'll give all the details about the work I'm doing on Project Thor.

[Background]

The background to the game is that you play as one of the humans experiments, destined to become one of the superhumans. After the scientists at The Thor Institute create the first of the creatures, you wait in line for your turn, until you realise there's something wrong with the experiments and everything takes a turn for the worst...

[Level Info]

Level 1: Vault #928

You awaken in Vault #928, and must find a way to escape. You slowly learn more about where you are and what is going on in this level.

Level 2: (no name yet)

In this level you finally find out everything that has been going on. You meet the first creatures and must battle them. A tricky maze of underground pathways has been set up leading you on your search for Zamiel, the man you suspect is behind all this.

Level 3: (no name yet)

You find your way through the maze, but you find out that the army have been sent in to obliterate the creatures. They have been given the instruction to shoot anything that moves...

Level 4: (no name yet)

After struggling through the onslaught of level 3, you make your way to the labs of The Thor Institute. Here you find civilian scientists who explain the whole story to you. You must find and destroy the computer mainframes which are working 24:7 to crack a mysterious code...You find out more about Zamiel and his involvement in The Thor Institute...

Level 5: (no name yet)

Storyline currently as of yet unplanned.

[Level Progress]

Key:
- Completed
- Work In Progress
- Not yet started

Level design refers to the overall layout and plan I have of how the level will be, which corridor leads where, etc.
Segments refers to how many of the segments I've laid out and in the right place.
Entities is about how many entities I have put in the right places to create as realistic an atmosphere as possible.
Lighting is the quality of custom lights I've used to help add an eerie atmosphere, and pay great attention to lighting (rather than just using ambient lights).
Scripts refers to how much of the scripting I have completed for that level - I hope to have many script-triggered events and surprises.

Level 1: Vault # 928
Level Design - - 70%
Segments - - 30%
Entities - - 45%
Lighting - - 30%
Enemies - - 0%
Scripts - - 0%
Notes: I am redesigning Level 1 from the version I used to enter into the PGPS Contest,

Level 2:
Level Design - - 50%
Segments - - 25%
Entities - - 25%
Lighting - - 10%
Enemies - - 50%
Scripts - - 0%
Notes: This level has been done but not to a satisfactory level based upon my standards. I have built it, but am now working on drastically improving the whole level.

Level 3:
Level Design - - 60%
Segments - - 40%
Entities - - 20%
Lighting - - 5%
Enemies - - 0%
Scripts - - 0%
Notes: This level has been quickly created, but still not to a high standard - it needs fixing and completing.

Levels 4 and 5 have not yet been created.

---

[Media Bank]

Custom Segments:
(List coming soon)

Custom Entities:
(List coming soon)

Other custom Stuff:

(List coming soon)

---

[Screenshots]

Screenshot 1: The Staff Canteen.

Screenshot 2: Vault #928 escape stairway.

Screenshot 3: Storage cupboard (unfinished as of yet - just wanted to show the sign).

Screenshot 4: An in-game map sign, generated from the FPSC Editor - I know it's unclear, but as you progress, there are further detailed zoomed in maps available.

Screenshot 5: In Vault # 928.

More screenshots coming soon!

---

Well, that's about it folks! Gimmee some Comments & Criticism! Make it constructive, that way I can make the most about what you think, not just like, "Uurgh, that is horrible, don't even bother". That way I can take into point what you say and work to make this game as good as possible.

Thanks!

~ Jack / Cipher Software

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 00:05
looks good, but the story isnt very new. in fact, it's very UN-original. i do like how you play as one of the experimented humans.
the screen looks good.

instead of mutated humans, why dont you just make it so they have no idea who they are, or what they're supposed to be doing? like the bourne ultimatum. then they dont know who's good or bad, so they just assume everyones bad. they dont know anything because the stuff put into them erases brain cells. how about that?

when the chicken crosses the road, he never comes back
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 09:33 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 22:18
Cheese hed, you have some good ideas there. I can see what you mean about it being unoriginal, so I'm pretty open to new ideas here.

I was already thinking along the lines of them having their memories wiped. There was one part to the storyline though that adds a twist, i'm gonna put it arund level 3 - throughout the whole game you think that the monsters have no brain power, but then, written on the walls in blood: "Kill Zamiel". I put that in the original PGPS Entry, I thought it worked quie well as a bit of a plot twister.

I will revise the storyline, taking into note what you've said chees hed. Other people are welcome to point out what they think would make it better as well, the more the merrier!

I did not have time yesterday to upload the screenshots but I will do that later tonight. I am also going to design a new logo,.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 01:19
alright, sounds good. and dont worry if you harsh crit come to me i am good at hhurting feelings

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 20:55 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 22:19
Added a new screenshot. Updated storyline. Generally updated thread.

Come on people, gimmee some C & C! So far only chees hed's shown interest! Ta.

P.S. Got a new signature - With some help finally got the linking BBCOde to work...

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:13
maybe you should try talking on other threads to let people get to know ( the forum ) you. and try to mention your game but not out of random. everyone knows me because i talk all over the place and my first game was so bad and sukish that everyone wanted to see the new defination of noob. anyway look out for my game called "7 days to live" (do like that)

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Cipher, I missed this one and looks like you've spent some time on that 1st post. Unlucky about the engine problems, glad to hear your getting sorted. Good luck with this one. New sig looks good also!

Working on a new title, planning in progress.
chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 02:59
eller

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 09:23 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 09:31
Thanks for the advice chees hed, and thanks for the comments deca. I am going to get up a third screenshot later this evening. I'm currently half way through making a new logo kinda thing, a bit like the first image on this post, ya know, the one saying "Project Thor" with a yellow-red-black gradient. I felt that one didn't really fit with the new style I am giving the game, so I'm redesigning it to fit with my signature's image style. I hope to keep this style consistent throughout the game as well, I think it fits nicely.

I'll update the main post with Percentages and stuff on how well I'm doing for level design, etc.

[Edit] Put in the new stuff written in the paragraph above.

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 21:07
Something's gone wrong with FPSC, I'm glad I took a backup yesterday... I will get it restored as soon as possible to get the screenies up.

In the meantime, I've created a basic autoturret gun that I'm hoping to use in the "Escape" penultimate level. I won't say too much here as I don't want to spoil the story for when the game's released. As you try and escape from the Thor Institute, there's some outdoor level with autoturrets and stuff.

Bam, there we go. I'll get these screenshots up soon, promise, but I'm quite busy right now working on a Delphi project - but I promise it'll be as soon as I've fixed FPSC!

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 13:07
New screenshots put in

Goosebox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 14:38
this is pretty nice stuff, the map idea is cool

cant wait 4 its release

goose

User of Intell(R)1.86GHZ CPU, 960 MB RAM, 256 MB Memory Graphics Card.
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 15:12
Thanks Goosebox for your comments - I am hoping it will have a demo ready by early February of the first three levels. I am guessing the whole game, if I keep work at a steady pace, won't be done until summer 2008 ish... but I'll make sure to keep getting out regular demos when the first one is available.

Goosebox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 03:41
thats great!!

the story is kind of ok.

im making a game with a sort of thing like yours, with you being playing as the mutant. except you are a person in the us delta force. u have to neutralize a biochemical facility called the Delta Lab. what happens is a chemical explosion mutates you and everyone inside the lab. you have to get out of the lab and get treated for the disease/mutantness. (i dont even know if thats a real word) but i might bring the story passed that. the story takes place 50 mi from pheonix arizona and you play as Jeffrey Connery.

User of Intell(R)1.86GHZ CPU, 960 MB RAM, 256 MB Memory Graphics Card.
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 17:22
Sounds cool goosebox! You got a link so we can see?

Goosebox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 22:37
uh, i could post up some screenies, but other than that, i dont have a thread for it. i dont even have a playable demo ready yet. i have the map ideas drawn up, but, i havent goten to making lvl 3-5 for the demo.

User of AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ 2.08GHZ CPU, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 256MB Memory Graphics Card.
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 16:05
@Goosebox: Gimmee some news when you're done.

Anyway, update time! I haven't been around for a while, went on holiday for a bit

So, um, let's see, I got Firma by Darkfoil and Entity workshop by wehtam - two incredibly useful tools, and now entity creation and stuff is zipping along like a camel on fire.

So, currently I'm building the sewage and canal system running underground the Thor building.

I'll get some screenshots of that up very soon.

Ta,

~ Jack

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 21:32
Well, there's good news and there's bad news!

The bad news:

My computer suffered a major hardware fault and I lost EVERYTHING.

The good news:

I made a backup!

More bad news:

It was quite old, so Project Thor has suddenly fallen behind very far.

More good news!

Work has resumed! I just need to find the time to update this thread more often, gah! It should be greatly enhanced now that I'm using the EFX mod. Coolio!

i need help
Years of Service
User Offline
Be careful with the EFX mod when I used it it slowed fps creator to 0fps some times and it peaked at about 14fps when I usually get 30-38fps without it. By the way this games sounds really good.
piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 22:32
@i need help: Thanks for the info about EFX, it sure did look good and the effects are spectucular but I think I'm resorting back to the original FPSC engine, since yes, the frame rates are too slow. Thanks for the comments about the game too

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:05:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:05:29