Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Meteor Strike

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 13:59 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 14:09
Hi all!

So Meteor Strike is finally worthy of a full release. It's a game that I've been working on for quite some time now, and right now I'm really pleased with how it is. The game is a arcady shoot 'em up game with quite a simple concept. All you have to do is drive a tank around on a planet and shoot down incoming meteors before they hit the planet.

To help you survive a longer time, you can purchase upgrades to your tank along the way. You purchase the upgrades by money that you earn from shooting down meteors. Each meteors reward you a certain amount of money, but it's not a static amount. As the difficulty increases, you'll get more money from each meteor. There's two types of upgrades for your tank, upgrades for your cannon, and upgrades for your tanks speed. There is 5 ranks for the cannon upgrade, each rank have a new cannon model for you And there's 4 ranks for the speed upgrade. And just to clarify already, yes, it IS possible to get a fully upgraded tank And here's a screenshot of me with it as a prove:

I think you'll soon realise that it's important to balance the cannon speed upgrade and the speed upgrade

The graphic is a little blurry because I tested out the release version, which at the current time had a 1024x768 resolution.

Here's some more screenshots:

The highscore:

The logo render (thanks to tha_rami for this!):

A small close up render I did:

The menu:

Some more gameplay:

Controls

You will find the controls in the readme file, although I would like to make a quick adjustment that isn't in there:
To purchase a new rank of the cannon upgrade, press 1
To purchase a new rank of the speed upgrade, press 2

Oh, and to enter the menu press escapekey. It's from here that you'll able to see highscores etc.

Highscore

Just a quick notice about the highscore. Each meteorkill rewards you 10 points. Your highscore will be entered into the highscore database when the game is over (when the planet has no more health)

I would like to thank the following people:

Scraggle: For the awesome font.
Aura: For the nice music.
Tha_rami: For the awesome planet art and buttons for the menu, aswell as the logo.

Important notice for the game setting lua script
In the root folder there's also a settings lua script. From there you can change the screen resolution and enable physX (this will get you floating debris when you destroy meteors). The following screen resolutions are the supported ones so far:
-1024x768
-1152x864
-1440x900

As standard, physX is off, meaning that if you don't have the physX driver, you won't need it anyway

I hope you guys will enjoy it Any comments and suggestions for improvements is more than welcome. Here's the download:
http://www.nerd.galekus.com/Meteor_Strike_Full.rar

Cheers,

The Nerd

Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 17:55 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 18:07
Gratz on the release my danish mate Downloading it at once, back soon with comments on it

cheers

[EDIT]

Good little game you have there, only 2 things i can think of right now is the the letter "P" in the word "planet" isnt there, also it would be nice if the big meteors became smaller ones if they were destroyed. Else than that, good work on the game, wish i ever released something finished to show off

You never fail, only make mistakes.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 18:33
Crazy fun game!

I'll give it another go in a minute.

I'm looking forward to the patched version too.

You are not alone.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 20:49
Thanks for the comments and feedbacks Much appriaciatet!

Quote: "Good little game you have there, only 2 things i can think of right now is the the letter "P" in the word "planet" isnt there"

hmm... must have been a sprite number that slipped, hehe. Will get it fixed.

Quote: "also it would be nice if the big meteors became smaller ones if they were destroyed"

I don't really think that would work out in this game. It would ruin the difficulty balance that's already there

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 18:07
Well, you certainly used the images nicely. One fun and playable game, I enjoy it - will need to try and get my score higher, though. Gonna try again right away, lol. I had a cannon 3 at one point!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 18:12
hehe, thanks for the comment tha_rami, glad you're enjoying the game! Keep on pushing and you might even get the last cannon upgrade, hehe.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 01:27
Nice game. Cool concept, works solidly. Pretty fun. I got 5440 points. Would play again, but getting through the easy stuff seems like too much of a chore. Maybe levels would be good.

Would be cooler with a bit of a menu at the start too- as is it just keeps restarting the level. Also, an on-screen high score would be cool, and i think for driving around the planet, something like A,S or Z,X would be better than W,S: I associate anticlockwise/clockwise more with left/right than up/down, and my fingers are more comfortable like this too.

Antother cool thing would be a light or something that showed when you could afford an upgrade, maybe it could flash up "Cannon Upgrade Available - press 1", or make a beep or something. It's just a bit confusing at the mo. Also when i had a load of money, it said i had 1000. Maybe you are only displaying the 4 last digits or something.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 16:14
Thanks for the comment and feedback Mr Tank Glad you enjoyed the game!

Quote: "for driving around the planet, something like A,S or Z,X would be better than W,S: I associate anticlockwise/clockwise more with left/right than up/down, and my fingers are more comfortable like this too."

Would be easy for me to throw in some variables for changing the controls in the LUA script Will do for the update.

Quote: "Antother cool thing would be a light or something that showed when you could afford an upgrade, maybe it could flash up "Cannon Upgrade Available - press 1", or make a beep or something"

Actually, this is a pretty good idea, gonna see what I can do for it for the update.

Quote: "Also when i had a load of money, it said i had 1000. Maybe you are only displaying the 4 last digits or something."

hmm... yes, must be it. I've set a limit on the money right now so you can maximum have 10.000 at a time, I bet you had 10.000 but it only showed it as 1000. Will fix this

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 17:00 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 17:03
Cool. Good luck making it. I think maybe the money cap should be a bit higher. I played again and tried to remember, but still accidentally maxed out the money. Got 9800 points this time. Woo for me. Be cooler if there were even more upgrades- maybe bigger shots, or multidirectional fire, and some asteroids faster than others etc.

I clicked on the .lua file but windows didn't know what to do with it. I guessed at opening it with notepad, and that works, but it doesn't seem like a very noob-friendly way to have options. Maybe in the readme it should state how to edit the .lua file, or maybe just change the extension to .txt

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 17:29
Quote: "I think maybe the money cap should be a bit higher. I played again and tried to remember, but still accidentally maxed out the money."

Sure thing

Quote: "Got 9800 points this time."

hmm, was that the score that went into the highscore board? Because I changed that. What I mean is that when I was making the highscore system, I just used the money as the score, but figuring that you spent money + the money cap, the money wouldn't be a good way for the score, hehe. I changed it so that you get 10 points per meteor. Although you don't see these points, they should be what would appear on the highscore.

Quote: "
I clicked on the .lua file but windows didn't know what to do with it. I guessed at opening it with notepad, and that works, but it doesn't seem like a very noob-friendly way to have options. Maybe in the readme it should state how to edit the .lua file, or maybe just change the extension to .txt
"

Yeah I know it isn't very friendly. I really should put an option in the menu, but we'll see. For now a small guide sounds like a good idea.

Quote: "Be cooler if there were even more upgrades- maybe bigger shots, or multidirectional fire, and some asteroids faster than others etc."

Don't really think that will happen this time around I'm afraid, I'm about to move up to Dark GDK so big updates like this most likely won't happen. Although maybe all this could be used for a sequal, or bigger updated version in the future, hehe

Again, thanks for all the awesome feedback! Glad you're still enjoying the game, hehe.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:46
Hi man, best game you've done! Going to be quick, but In short,

Loved:

1) Very playable from the offest
2) Addictive
3) Graphics and sound and everything were very well done

I actually really liked the concept; never seen this done before!

Congrats man

Check out the WIP boards for "Schmump Go-Karting" - screens & videos
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:49
Wohoow! Drew likes the graphics .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 15:33
@Drew:

hehe, thanks for the comment mate! Glad you enjoyed the game. And tha_rami's graphics

avenger 999
Years of Service
User Offline
nice everything about it works perfectly and runs smoothly and needing to rotate around the planet is a great idea and makes it way more fun then if it was just a normal motionless shooter. After you play for a while it starts to feel a little overly slow paced though. It would be cool if your movement speed and the speed of the meteors progressively increased.

"You are in a video game, Max" funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing i could think of.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 17:30
I think this could do with a few more downloads!
It's a very nice, polished little game.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 14:59 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 14:59
Thanks for all the comments and support! I'm glad you enjoy the game avenger.

Quote: "and the speed of the meteors progressively increased.
"

hehe, the movement speed of the meteors actually do increase as the game gets harder

About the player movement speed, did you try to purchase the speed upgrades?

Sorry for the slow respond. Been on skiing holiday, just got home a few hours ago.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:15:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:15:40