Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Savior From Orbit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 01:04 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 06:59
Hi, this is a game a made a while ago and... well, forgot to upload. Some of you may remember this from the WIP boards!

Gameplay:
Players gun down asteroids and mine gems to purchase upgrades. After each stage, players are allowed to upgrade and repair their ship using their collected gems. There are also 4 different weapons to use and upgrade.

Screenshot:

Credits:
Most graphics - David Gervais
Gem graphic - zzz
Music - Brn2Die
SFX - RPGMaker
AdvancedSPRITES - Dorian Morelle

Download!

Enjoy and tell me what you think!

Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 10:59
I get a Runtime Error 104 - The file is invalid at line 480.

It does look good though.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 17:28 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 17:48
Works for me. Will play when it's cooler. The weather i mean.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I get a Runtime Error 104 - The file is invalid at line 480."

The save file names are the player names, so don't use symbols like \ or . in your name. Tell me if you can get the game running.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 03:29
Nice. The menu system seems intuitive, quick and solid. I like the profile/save system. The game is also solid, the controls make sense, the physics seem natural, the framerate and loading is fast and i encountered no bugs or anything. Pretty graphics, and the media is all pretty sweet. The whole thing seems pretty polished and well put together. Good teamworking!

I think the game is a bit hard though. I suspect you have done what i do too and got very good at your own game. I'd say make a few difficulty levels, including one which you find stupidly easy. Something as simple as reducing the overall game speed would make it easier for newbies.

To be pedantic, i'll say the explosion sounds seem a little bit tinny. See if you can make them a little beefier and it'll make the game feel cooler.

A higher resolution asteroid image would be cool too.

Also it'd be nice to have the controls and instructions viewable from the menu, or at least stick them in a readme file in the game folder.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone has the "Runtime Error 104 - The file is invalid at line 480", create a folder called "Saves" in the same directory as the exe. Apparently some programs don't extract empty folders.

I wasn't going to add anymore to the game, but after reading Mr Tank's post, I will work on an update that features an easy mode and some of his other suggestions. Anyone else play?

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 22:57
I got a really nice first impression from this game. Especially because of the controls, but also because of the overall feel of the game, the way you have put the graphics together have made a nice style for this game. The menu with the cursor changing into a hand, and the text fading is also a nice touch.

The way that the asteroids blow up, is realy nice, and leaves you with the feeling that you just want to shot one more. And since this game is about blowing asteroids up, this makes it into one of the best asteroids like game I have tried.

One other thing, which makes this game stand a bit out from many other asteroids 'remakes' is the ability to actually set the weapons to use for primary and secondary fire. This is a really nice feature, which lets you play the game in different styles. Nice!

Ah! One last thing before i mention the one bad thing i noticed: Thank you for making this game run(And it ran normal!, not slow, or with any real slow downs at all) on my old computer, with 1.5ghz and a Nvidia GForce 2.! Hehe.
So i bet your programming skills are good. (Don't know if you really gave speed a consideration though but anyway. nicely done! )

The one 'bad' thing i noticed:
After blowing up an asteroid, its 'fragments' starts moving very diagonal / in very straight lines, and maby a bit to fast, fix this and i will think of this game as beeing perfect for what it tries to be.

Sry. For my bad English, but my danish writing skills are not any better so .

Yup, thats it.

Nice done Jimpo.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 06:58 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 07:00
Coder#05, thank you for your comments! And I wouldn't have even noticed you weren't a native English speaker if you didn't mention it!

I spent some time today to update this, and now I bring you version 1.1 based on your suggestions:
Easy Mode - Slower pace and more golden asteroids
No more vertical or horizontal asteroids
Controls documented
No error 104

Since save files now contain data for easy or hard mode, old saves won't carry over to v1.1

Download!

Mouse - Cursor/Aim
Left Click - Primary Weapon/Select
Middle Click - Display Health
Right Click - Secondary Weapon

WASD/Arrow Keys - Accelerate

To change weapons, left or right click the weapon icon box on the upgrade screen.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 02:57
Cool! Easy mode is pretty easy. Very easy to just sit in the middle, constantly firing the simple gun and the shield, buying armour and regeneration. I got to stage 24, selected the super shotgun and the recoil send me through a bunch of asteroids and i died. Otherwise i could probably have continued indefinitely- is there a limit to the number of levels? It's cool how you have a load of different backdrops. Gives the game a feeling of progression, and they look really pretty.

SBSX
[http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=134372]ASTEROID WORLDS[/url]
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 05:59 Edited at: 24th Aug 2008 06:00
Cool game,

Quote: "Very easy to just sit in the middle, constantly firing the simple gun and the shield, buying armour and regeneration."
This is what I did as well. It didn't seem to be getting any harder as I continued to play through the stages, and I eventually just exited.

I didn't get time to try it on "normal" though,

The only thing I'd change is the ship movement.

Ripple - Rhythm Game
Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 18:48
Again really nice done.

I say, stop development on this game now, and fell good about completing this game!
Because now, it is perfect for what it is.(IMO that is, of course)

People will always have different opinions on stuff like steering, difficulty settings etc.. And you could keep changing this game forever if you were to listen to each and every one(Like me).

This game (unlike many others), is going to stay on my hdd, for a long time.

Well done!

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 22:00
I had another go. A very cool thing indeed is the restart from last completed level thing. Nice music too.

SBSX
[http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=134372]ASTEROID WORLDS[/url]
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "is there a limit to the number of levels?"

No, you can just keep going until you die. Easy mode is more for killing some spare time, but hard mode will challenge you to get as far as you can.

Quote: "I say, stop development on this game now, and fell good about completing this game! Because now, it is perfect for what it is."

Thank you! I will definitely move this project over to my finished folder and see if I can find some time to work on a new game.

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 21:55
Hey! Congrats on getting the game into the newsletter!

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Congrats on getting the game into the newsletter!"

Thanks! But it didn't seem to bring in any new players. Anyone else try my game?

wanderz
Years of Service
User Offline
does it not work with vista, or is it just me?

i'm actually getting an error about d3dx9_35, which i know is a directX dll, but i actually have direct x 10, so i can't really upgrade to dx 9.. i'm wondering if i should just download the dll for it tho.

any advice would be great, i'm thinking about getting darkbasic pro, but wanted to check out a couple of the games others made first, so far no luck on getting them to work.
Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know thats might be a problem.

I downloaded one of my games to a relitives PC who has vist and I made it with Windows XP and it wouldn't work so that might be the problem

Dana na na na Game Guy!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 06:51 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 06:52
@wanderz:
Quote: "so i can't really upgrade to dx 9"

you do need dx9. it's not an 'upgrade' issue, per se. it's a dbpro issue. and, you can have both dx9 and 10 installed.

@Jimpo:
well, i'm slowly gathering favorites i lost since a recent computer crash. and, i confess i didn't play this enough when you first released it. the controls were a little too odd for me at first, but i was determined to give this a solid play. now, the controls are 'easy' and i'm thoroughly enjoying SFO. i'll consider this my first 'early christmas present' this year

(er, well, my 2nd. i did just buy a new computer... but only because i had to!)

thanks again.

oh, by the way. is there a level cap?

Virtual Nomad . California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 17:05
Brilliant game!

Love the weapons.

You are not alone.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "does it not work with vista, or is it just me?"

I just checked and it works on my vista laptop. If I remember correctly, I had to download additional directx dlls from Microsoft to get DBPro games to work. Try searching "directx 9" in Google.

Quote: "oh, by the way. is there a level cap?"

No level cap, the game is set to go for as long as you want.

Quote: "Brilliant game!"

Thanks!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 06:01
a little more on sfo w/ vista:

it does play fine for me on vista, but sometimes when i exit it appears to exit but really stays running and hides. it's a little odd, and i only noticed this by quitting, then going back to playing it a minute later. it didn't run the 2nd time and alt-tabbed and found it running already. maybe it's not happy with the save/exit routine or something? anyway, it's only slightly quirky and definitely not a real issue for me.

Virtual Nomad . California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 17:53
waw Jimpo that is a really cool little game, love little games like this. Keep up the good work. P.s. absolutly love the weapon where the missile follows the mouse.
Raster
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey.. found a really quick workaround for that dx9 error in vista! It's telling you that it's missing a dll file right? Just google the DLL, download it and make sure the DLL is placed in the game directory. Boom! Instant compatability. It's workd with every DB game I've tried so far.

lol I remembered the technique from a few games that did that to me before... Generally this works. Unless they have a config that tells you which DX you have to have (like the 3d Mahjong game on the site) in which case you just edit that area as well as placing the DLL... In my case it was d3dx9_35.dll. Slight config tweak and Dll placing and I have 3d mahjong running in Vista.
Raster
Years of Service
User Offline
Eh... On second thought, the MUCH easier approach would be to download Lionheart Enhanced. It has a DX updater, and I'm happy to say, updating my DX9 did not interfere at all with my DX10.

Thanks for letting me know that I could upgrade without endangering 10 Virtual Nomad.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:17:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:17:53