Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo] Fields - an RTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 02:49 Edited at: 24th Oct 2009 06:02

Last updated 5/30/09.

Fields is a real-time strategy game that plays somewhat like the game Empire Earth from Sierra.

It was begun for National Game Creating Month (NaGaCreMo) in January '09, but work still continues on.

Gameplay:

In Fields, you act as sort of an omnipresent commander to your units on the ground. Generally, they will meander around gathering resources and minding their own business. However, you can influence what they do by instructing them to build buildings, changing the priorities of different actions, or setting attack targets.

Screenshots:

Added 5/30/09
New selection system, and flags.

Added 4/16/09
UberTerrain now provides interesting elevation!

Added 2/28/09
The first of many vehicles, modelled by Azunaki and textured by me.

Added 2/2/09
New diffuse areas show what belongs to who.

Added 1/13/09
The settlement is advancing .

(Outdated screenshots removed 5/30/08)

Models are made by me, textures are from cgtextures.

Credits:

Programming : bmaczero
Vehicle models : Azunaki
Music : Agent Joe
Sounds : Agent Joe
Terrain : kaedroho

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:05 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 05:06
I'm so jealous. I wish I had to talent to pull this off. Looking great already bmaczero! Looks like your well on your way.

BTW, added a link to your userbar in the NaGaCreMo thread to this thread.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:36
Looks good, but if you are going for a classic RTS look like Empire Earth I suggest rotating the camera to give a more isometric view.

As with most people I jump around which projects I work on and which I drop for a while.
Currently I'm back working on Sioux, a Hollywood Western RTS.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 15:45
@zenassem
Thanks!

@Lazlazlaz
Thanks for the comment - I'll probably be allowing the player to rotate the camera along the y-axis as they wish.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 19:22 Edited at: 15th Jan 2009 02:08
New screenshot added:

(Outdated screenshot removed)

This one shows the priority control panel. The player can't directly control where his or her sims go, but by transfering tokens between tasks, he or she can give different actions higher priorities. Actions with higher priorities will have more sims assigned to them.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that looks cool. Good luck with the 30 days, I can see you are quite far already!
timmie124
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 12:43
ugh my rts is not nearly as good as yours could i view your source code so i could learn from it?

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 14:06
Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 14:14
@ bmaczero
I hope you do actually finish this. I want to see an RTS done and dusted in DBP because all my attempts failed before the stage they even looked like RTSs. xD

(Also, not to be picky, but shouldn't it be called "Field", as I can only see one field in all the screenshots, hehe )
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 16:05 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2009 16:07
Quote: "ugh my rts is not nearly as good as yours could i view your source code so i could learn from it?"

I'll see if I can strip out everything but the basics and post that version up (it's almost 1500 lines now). It'll be good for learning. (Have you looked a Phaelax's tutorial?).

Quote: "Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out."

Quote: "I hope you do actually finish this. I want to see an RTS done and dusted in DBP because all my attempts failed before the stage they even looked like RTSs."

Thanks for the encouragement .

Quote: "(Also, not to be picky, but shouldn't it be called "Field", as I can only see one field in all the screenshots, hehe ) "

There will still be only one field in the final, but it will look like more because it will be divided up by forests and stuff . (Also, "Field" doesn't sound as cool).

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 16:09
Wow! That looks soo much better in 3D bmaczero. If you had entered this is would have whooped everyone. Keep going this is looking good!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 16:58
@ bmaczero
Quote: "(Also, "Field" doesn't sound as cool)."

Hehe, true.

xD
timmie124
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 09:53
thanks so much for the email bmaczero almost missed it cause i get so much spam

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 19:15
No problem .

I added a new screenshot again - this one shows the sims building a long wall.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 05:18
Bump .

I added another screenshot. Unfortunately most of the progress over the last few days has been bug fixing and optimizing. However, you can see from the screen that I've finally made an actual sim model. It isn't textured but it is rigged and animated.

Less noticably, I remodelled the warehouse. It now has an interior and open doors. This may not seem like a big deal from the screen, but compared to the citizens just walking up to the warehouse to drop off resources, this looks downright cool.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 06:34
This is awesome! The models look great, and I must say, I envy your skills.

Keep it up!

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 18:46
Out of interest, since I am also developing an RTS in DBPro, how many polys are your sims made out of?

As with most people I jump around which projects I work on and which I drop for a while.
Currently I'm back working on Sioux, a Hollywood Western RTS.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 20:57
Thanks, Yodaman!

Lazlazlaz: The sims are 382 triangles each. I think that's a little on the high side, but I figure it should be okay because this game is going to revolve more around small squads of units than huge armies.

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 11:59
Looking really nice, well done. BRAVO!

TheCleverGuyz
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 04:14
It's been a little while, so I've posted some new screens. You can see a small settlement developing, and also a sim wielding a .22 rifle, the beginnings of a weapon system.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 03:45
Nice screen shots! You're doing very well with this! Keep it up!

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 20:24
Hows it coming along bmac? Can't wait to play it! and there shudnt be any probs this time Good luck on project

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 21:01
Quote: "Hows it coming along bmac? Can't wait to play it! and there shudnt be any probs this time"

Meh, slowly . But really not too bad. I've revamped the method I'm using for assigning the sims targets so it's a lot more organized. I also decided to remove the priority counters system and give the player a little more control. Now you assign the sims tasks individually or in groups, though they still mostly take care of everything on their own.

I just started on the attacking system. If I don't keep getting distracted I should have enough time to finish that today, though I'll be gone all weekend.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 12:42
Sounds fun... Cant wait to play it
Keep going man!

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 09:04
3 days man, hurry up!

3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
Visit my youtube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/bergice1
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 00:51 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 00:54
NaGaCreMo is over, and I did say I'd have some kind of tech demo at the end of it. If anyone at all is interested, I'll post it. Basically all you can do is equip your sims with weapons, get them to collect resources, and build buildings. An enemy settlement is in place but has no AI.

I will of course keep working on this if you guys just want to wait for that .

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 12:54
Hell Yeah!!

This sounds pretty awesome! Id love to play that demo...
How far are you planning to take this??

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 23:27
Okay, tech demo coming shortly . It may take a day or so though, I just made a major change to the pathfinding that should speed it up, but it keeps freezing. I know exactly what is causing this, I just have to think of a good way to solve it...

Quote: "How far are you planning to take this??"

At least to the point where it is playable and fun (Enemies with AI, random maps, some more weapons, and sim battle tactics). After that I may keep working on this or work on something else for a while. I have plans for a risk-type world rather than just one map, vehicles, helicopters, multiplayer, etc. when I continue it.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 01:56
Yay! I fixed the glitch, and the results are better than I ever thought they would be. The pathfinding function used to run 10 ms for a very short path and 26 for a longer one. It's now telling me 1 ms each for the same two paths. Woot!

I'm just going to add box selection and then I'll upload it.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 02:45
This looks like fun, can't wait to play a demo.
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 05:39
I can't wait also, always wanted to see a traditional RTS done in DBP. I can never seem to finish my own attempts.

Sioux - Hollywood Western Style RTS - Possibly coming soon if I don't give up on it again.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 05:39
Thanks for the interest guys . I'm uploading the tech demo as we speak. Sorry for the delay, this pathfinding is giving me a huge headache. It was working great, then it spontaneaously stopped working. I've temporarily reverted back to the old one so I could release this.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 13:23
I could get the units to gather resources, but I wasn't able to build anything, I'd select the building, position it, then nothing...

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 19:38
This sounds a bit silly, but i couldnt find anyone?
Maybe im missing a trick...
Graphically looks good though!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 00:53 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 00:53
@Monk
Do you mean you couldn't find any sims or buildings?

@Josh: Did you select some sims before you placed the building?
This is something I'm going to change soon - I'll probably have some kind of graphical representation of the building, such as the foundation, to show where it is and allow the player to assign more sims to it.
Also, how do you think the method of resource harvesting is? I'm thinking it would make more sense to have the sims gather resources by right-clicking on a resource pile and having the sim automatically get the right tool, rather than telling them to get a tool and automatically sending them to a resource pile.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:12
Alright I got it now Seems to take a while to build, and you don't see the building till it's finished.

For the resources, I like how you choose one and they go off and find the resource. Makes it feel more realistic. Maybe instead of it saying 'axe', have it say, 'Find/gather wood'. This way it feels like your giving a command, rather then playing god. That make sense?

Works great though, didn't find any bugs. Just needs more details to show like, who's selected, building being constructed, etc...

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:45
Quote: "For the resources, I like how you choose one and they go off and find the resource. Makes it feel more realistic. Maybe instead of it saying 'axe', have it say, 'Find/gather wood'. This way it feels like your giving a command, rather then playing god. That make sense?"

Sounds like a good idea, I'll probably try that .

As far as showing the buildings, I have some ideas I'm going to start implementing soon...

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 11:29
Quote: "@Monk
Do you mean you couldn't find any sims or buildings?"

I couldn't find any sims... Probably my fault but I placed a few buildings and scrolled around the map, and couldn't find any sims

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 15:19
Odd...from the starting camera position, try moving up and looking in front of the houses.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 16:58 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 17:01
Ah ha, found them! They were under the overhang on the rear of the house. I didnt find them first time because i was silly enough not to check the instructions to find out how to move the camera. Possibly some ingame instructions would be good for muppets like me

Also, the set of sims on the right can be selected, but seem to be on strike and refusing to work... I seem to have plenty of resources so im not sure what the problem is..

Im liking the attention to detail so far.. Names! and mini axes! However, possibly some text not just numbers in the top corner, and highlighting the selected sims? Just small suggestions but an impressive game!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 17:15
Quote: "Possibly some ingame instructions would be good for muppets like me"

. I will eventually add a tutorial level.

Quote: "Also, the set of sims on the right can be selected, but seem to be on strike and refusing to work... I seem to have plenty of resources so im not sure what the problem is.."

They seem to work for me...we'll see if anyone else has this problem

Quote: "Im liking the attention to detail so far.. Names! and mini axes! However, possibly some text not just numbers in the top corner, and highlighting the selected sims? Just small suggestions but an impressive game!"

Thanks! I know they don't wield them right, but I'm still working on the animations . I did have some text that said how many sims you had selected, the numbers were for debugging purposes. The text doesn't seem to be appearing though...thanks for pointing that out.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 17:18
No probs, just keep the games coming!! I like how far youve taken it and hope you take it a long way

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
hi i was wondering if you would be interested in having some help with models.(all i would want is being noticed in some way for helping) if you want some pictures of what I've made I'll PM some to you.
xxelixx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 02:16
Nice looking game. I haven't seen an RTS this good yet.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 02:51 Edited at: 12th Feb 2009 02:54
@xxelixx
Wow! That's a great complement. Hopefully I can finish it up so it plays as good as it looks .

@Azunaki
Thanks for the offer! I'm afraid you probably can't help with the models. They have to be made with pretty specific dimensions so the sims will walk in and around them properly. However, I would love to see some samples of your texturing work, if you do that too. My textures, as you can see, are very basic and mostly placeholders. I can send you some UV maps if you want to do some texturing.

Edit: Actually, if you would rather do models then texturing, you could probably do some of the weapons and vehicles, as they don't have to have such rigid specifications as the buildings do.

@All
Right now I'm looking at Van B's Tersculpt code for some ideas on terrain. Attack targetting has been giving me trouble, so I'm going to skip that for now and focus on the terrain (randomized maps, building on terrain, moving slower over height, etc).

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
im not very good at textures... im better at modeling animating. but my animation still needs work as well.

yea id be willing to do some vehicles what would you need (and if you have any reference images i would appreciate them. (and do you need the models in .x or .3ds...)

i'll edit this with a model ive been working (textured and not textured...)
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 05:17 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 01:08
Okay, sounds good. I'd be glad to use any vehicles you'd be willing to make: e-mail me at the address below and I can send you some reference images and other comments.

Oh, and I'd still like to see a screenshot or two of your work. You can e-mail me at <address removed because the spambots seem to be making their rounds> so we don't have to keep bumping this thread with this discussion .

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i sent you an email(did you see it?)
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 04:55
Update! I haven't done too much work on the engine - I'm still dissecting Tersculpt in hope of implementing a terrain system. I have, however, polished up the front end and loading screen, and I added a menu. In my opinion, the menu looks absolutely awesome, and when coupled with some of Agent Joe's awesome music, it is really really cool. The screenshot really doesn't do it justice, as it can't capture the animation of the grass.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 11:12
Yeah thats looking good Bmac
Just from the screenshots though, the black bit at the edge of the terrain looks a little odd.. perhaps some sort of background could be applied?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 18:09:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 18:09:17