Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Coins Galore v0.1

Author
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:19 Edited at: 8th Jan 2009 01:41
[New version is ready for download]

I am not actively participating in NaGaCreMo '09, though now I wish I had entered. This game of mine (originally entitled Maze-O-Mania) called 'Coins Galore' is a Pacman-type game in which you are a marble in space (yeah...I don't know why, but I love space) and you must collect all coins on the level in order to access the WARP GATE, which is what transports you to the next level. I'm planning on five levels.

Screenies:

Right now the only level that is complete is level 1. I've attached a file that contains the .exe file. Please play it and tell me what you think. I wanted to add an enemy of sorts but I have no idea what kind of enemy that would be (a friend of mine suggested asteroids to keep with the space theme, but I don't have any decent asteroid textures). So far I'm calling level one 'complete'.

Please give feedback on:

The average FPS and the lowest number it reduces to,

How good the controls are,

and how accurate the collision is.

Thanks to all who give feedback!.

Here's the download :
(See bottom post for download link)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:23
I forgot to mention that all of the textures were created by me (in GIMP) and that the music is from the DBC media folder converted into an .mp3. Also, the controls:

Arrow keys to move
Space to jump.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:33
download corrupt :/ try re-attaching?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 00:40 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 01:10
Downloads removed for now due to problems with the attaching app. I don't know what the problem is, it's definitely not the file size.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 01:18
New post to see if the problem continues...

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 01:31
I still have the problem.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 01:59
Yeah, I'm getting it solved over in Geek Culture. Sorry everyone! I guess my computer just doesn't want to give up the game.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 02:29 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 20:26
OK, here's the link to the site that now hosts the game demo...sorry for the delay everyone, I don't know what's up with the attaching apps today.

[See first post]

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
The new download worked fine for me.

My FPS never dropped below 60, but there wasn't much going on. You could do a lot more with that space background! There was a bug that let you climb up a wall by holding space, and I had to repeatedly use it to save myself! Overall, it was a cool, simple game that I would definitely play more of. Looking forward to new levels

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 16:10
I'm not real sure how that bug that lets you climb up walls came to be, and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it!
I want to do more with the background, but I lack the materials. I want to add a few asteroids, but I don't have textures for that. I could use just a simple rock texture and edit it to have a few craters I suppose....hmm.
I've found (from all of the people who I've emailed and asked to test the game) that the FPS stays at around 52-60, a pretty decent range. I guess the game also works on Vista, if you download the right .dll. I'm not sure what .dll that is though.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll get to constructing level 2 here soon.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 17:35 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 20:26
Still haven't eve began constructing level two, but that's because I've made some minor improvements on level one.

Improved jumping engine* (though that climbing glitch is still there, I can't even begin to see how one would remove it).

Scoring system introduced.

Cannot do asteroids, which is sad.

Going to update introduction text.

Going to make the WARP GATE spin.

I'll update the download with the new demo ASAP. I'll also post a few more screen shots.

*Hint: Aim for the green spot in the middle of the platform. It's much easier to play the game that way.

New download coming soon...

http://www.upload.verongames.com/showfile-79/cgv0.zip

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 20:27
New download available! Please see original posts.

Sorry for triple-posting everyone...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 04:44
Here's some new screenies:

Intro screen:

New WARP GATE (it spins too!):

Random game play screenie:

You can see in the new images I've added a scoring system that works really well so far. I'll update the download within the the next couple of days, but I'd really like to start work on level two.

Also, side note, a friend of mine has offered to write the music for the game, so that's a right there for that aspect of the game!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 04:47
Looking neat!

Quote: "I am not actively participating in NaGaCreMo '09, though now I wish I had entered."

It ain't too late!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 04:54
Quote: "It ain't too late!"

It isn't? I'm heading over to GC right now and entering then!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 22:54 Edited at: 8th Jan 2009 01:02
Hey guys, I've started constructing level two and this is what I have so far:

Is it too colorful?

Here's the link to the new download, I've made a few minor changes:

http://www.upload.verongames.com/showfile-81/coinsgalorebeta2.zip

Please give feedback!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 03:28
I'm gonna guess that level two is a turn-off...no one's posted in this thread for a while! lol, I am going to get a different background for level two. In the meantime, here's a

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 03:31
Head...hurts...can't......type........co..lor.....

I think the black was fine. Maybe add some stars or sparkly things.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 03:47 Edited at: 8th Jan 2009 19:12
OK, I'll just use a different star texture. Thanks for the feedback!!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 19:16
Okay, here's a screen shot of the new level two using the same star texture as level one:

List of small improvements/achievements:

= complete = working on

Collision is as accurate as possible
Warp Gate spins
FPS counter removed (don't need it right now)
Level One is completely complete

Building Level Two
Making more textures for the next levels

Also, for the users with Vista I've included (in the above download) the d3drm.dll file which should enable the game to run on Vista. However if you encounter any problems with it please notify me by posting in this thread.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 20:29 Edited at: 9th Jan 2009 20:59
OK, here's the download link for the next and LAST downloadable I'll make until the final release:

http://www.upload.verongames.com/showfile-84/cgbeta3.zip

Level Two is so far my favorite. It's quite different from level one. I hope you all enjoy it!

EDITED DUE TO CORRUPT DOWNLOAD. FIXED NOW.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 20:31
I really like the graphical style you're pushing with this, though in your screenshots I think you got a little bit carried away with the noise filter. Too many stars.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 20:39
Alucard-

There is NEVER such a thing as too many stars! And that's a texture in the game, I don't add the noise in after taking the screenshot. It looks much better in-game, trust me. Thanks for the feedback!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 21:51 Edited at: 9th Jan 2009 21:52
i think there're too many stars, too but, it's better than a plain black background anyway, so... (and, i'm pretty sure alucard meant the noise filter in your paint program). the flashing intro screen is a bit much, too (assuming it's supposed to flash).

otherwise, play was fun.

i would like to see a simple shadow beneath the marble (to help with how close the player is to the edge of a cube) and it would help, visually, if the coins, say, spun or rotated toward the player since, when looking across a level, they disappear if the player is at a certain angle from the coin.

oh, and if you want to disallow the marble from being able to climb the sides of the cube, you could do a simple y-position check when collision is detected. ie,

if marble_bottom < cube_top then fall

again, fun little game. i DO hope you add more than 5 levels you initially planned on!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 23:01
Quote: "the flashing intro screen is a bit much, too (assuming it's supposed to flash).
"

It only flashes on random computers. I have no idea how to fix it, but 95% of the computer's it's been ran on have had no issues with a flashing screen...it's weird.

Quote: "i would like to see a simple shadow beneath the marble (to help with how close the player is to the edge of a cube) and it would help, visually, if the coins, say, spun or rotated toward the player since, when looking across a level, they disappear if the player is at a certain angle from the coin."

I'd love to do a simple shadow, but I have no idea how I would get one to appear. I have a theory, but I don't think it would work. Also, about trying to make the coins rotate, I can't seem to make them delete when they're rotating. Otherwise I would do that.

Quote: "if marble_bottom < cube_top then fall"

Not sure how I would implement that, but it would be great if I could!

Quote: "i think there're too many stars, too"

I guess I'll scale the texture down a bit then. Thanks for the feedback!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 20:35 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 20:37
I just got a chance to play it. Nice game . It works quite well. Definitely needs more levels though.

Quote: "(though that climbing glitch is still there, I can't even begin to see how one would remove it)."

I found this too. I'm guessing it's because you are checking collision with the boxes to see if the player can jump. Therefore, if the player is touching any part of the box, he can jump.

The easiest way to fix this is to put an invisible plane on top of each box. To see if the player can jump, check only against these planes.

This would also fix the glitch where you can jump off of the coins .

I agree that a shadow is necessary as well. The only easy way I can think of:
1.) Make a plane with the shadow texture on it.
2.) Each loop, position it at the location of the marble. Then, move it down a unit or less at a time until it collides with a box or reaches a certain low threshold.
3.) It will probably then be inside the box, so move it back up one unit.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 23:58

I'm not very good at programming yet. I have no idea how I would use that technique to make a shadow...

About adding more levels. I may only be able to do three levels, and then forget about the project. I simply don't know enough programming to complete all five levels in the next couple of weeks.

I am not using functions or subroutines in this program at all, something I should have done from the start but didn't exactly know how to implement. So the last couple of days I've been reading through more tutorials and finally know how to implement them, but it's too late to use them in my game. Plus, school is keeping me busy (I have two reports due on Monday) and it's only going to get busier. Believe me: I want to finish at least level three, but I don't think I can start work on levels four and five, not for a while. And there are several things I want to experiment with in programming for the completed version of the game: A nice menu that doesn't flash, music composed by my friend Paul, better hand-made textures (all of the current textures were made in GIMP in about 3 minutes), and lower-poly models as opposed to DBC-created objects. I also need to experiment with more collision detection techniques and learn how to make shadows successfully.

I WILL complete level three and attach it to the final download I promised. But due to suddenly getting busier with school and other things that I need to work on, that will be as far as I go for now. I'm really sorry.

See my new thread [Coins Galore Official Demo] in WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:31:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:31:36