Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What is your fetish?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 03:43
Title says it all. A fetish is a thing that you do for no reason or an object that you have an odd devotion and obsession to.

I've a few.

-I tend to wear my baseball cap A LOT; if you'd meet me in real life, I'd be wearing it.
-I call everyone 'buddy' or 'champ'. I don't know why, guess it's in my nature as being a Pittsburgh native (we're all nice people here).
-I wou;d like every day to be a sunny day. Dunno why, guess I have that seasonal depression thing or whatever.

So, what is your fetish, or random thing that you do?

Yinzes better redd up this room and I'll buy us some jumbo.
MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 03:53
I really like rain, or when it's overcast outside.

No joke.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 03:57
Interesting...

...champ.

MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 03:57
I would accept that if you were an adult, ie, older than me...
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:02 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 04:03
I prefer winter/overcast days over summer, maybe because I hate the heat and humidity around here.

That's not really a fetish though...hmm...Well, I think I may have some form of OCD, though you wouldn't know it looking at my room. If something doesn't line up with everything else (for example, books on my desk at school), it doesn't "feel" right and I have to fix it.

Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.
-Norman B. Rice
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:27
i eat about 4 apples a day, sometimes 5.

Come see the WIP!

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:29
I also love rain. I love jogging in the rain.

My fetish is girls. Is that unusual for a guy? haha.

Click above to sign up for the Axifer Designs Dev-Team!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 05:58
I prefer cold, overcast weather. I want to see my breath in front of me. Nature's colours are much more vibrant when it's overcast in my opinion, and I just enjoy being alive more when I walk to work in those conditions.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 06:07 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 06:08
Lets see hmmmm.....

I cant where a shirt size over small or i feel really crappy.

Im very anal about my look.

Um, i spray tan....

Theres tons of things..haha

Oh i too prefer Rainy or foggy days over anything.

PUNK IS BACK!
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 06:09
Rain is awesome. It brings out the best in me. Sitting inside with a cigarette and a warm cup of tea watching and listening to the rain is bloody brilliant. I have many traits which most of my friends know me by but it's not something simple as just something i wear all of the time, but mainly an ideology or emotion i live my life by.
Quote: "
That and i love being smacked in the face by an hermaphrodite with a four inch long wooden stick, I'm very specific like that. Ensue lock."

I'll finish them whenever i can be bothered.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Every time I open a Cream Soda bottle (amazing stuff!) I blow across the top of the bottle and watch the smokey stuff come out.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Degrees: Computer Animation-
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 06:56
Quote: "I just enjoy being alive more when I walk to work in those conditions."

Did you find a new job somewhere? Or are you referring to when you used to walk to work at EA?

I'm OCD about the volume on the TV being on an even number, and I also try to avoid parking space lines on the pavement.

MIDN90
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 07:10
Quote: "I prefer cold, overcast weather. I want to see my breath in front of me. Nature's colours are much more vibrant when it's overcast in my opinion, and I just enjoy being alive more when I walk to work in those conditions.
"

x100,000,000

I LOVE Rain... Not sure why... I LOVE waking up to it raining outside.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 08:19
Wow. What the heck is wrong with people these days? Liking rain?

I live in Oregon, perhaps the most depressing RAINING place on earth. I'd give anything to actually see SUN.
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 08:21
-I always wear a pair of biker gloves.
-I love rain too!

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 08:26
AHHHH!

lol.
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 09:09
Wow you guys are freaks I hate the rain... then again, I live in the rainiest state in the continental US (Twilight (Washington)).

Anyway I find myself addictingly checking IRC like every 5 seconds. I don't even mean to do it now. I just find myself double clicking the icon in the corner and checking for any new messages

Need a new hideout for all your conversations? Join dab-Media IRC. irc.dab-media.com:6667
Need PHP coding done? Contact me. Jobs done for as little as $15/hour! Email me for more information.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 09:44
I love the sun and the rain. Cloudy days suck.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 12:49
I wear sunglasses even when its not even that sunny, just so I can look at people without them knowing I am.

I also always wear black (despite not being a goth or an emo)

And t3h rain makes me code better !
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 13:28
Quote: "I love the sun and the rain. Cloudy days suck."

Ditto, with he sun, I like sitting outside with a good book and some decent music playing in the background. It's a shame that the UK doesn't get much weather like that, fingers crossed for a good summer this year.

As far as clothes items go, I always wear a leather cowboy hat, for one thing it keeps the hair out of my face and for some reason I've become attached to it, considering it cost me £25, it's not worth being a shelve sitter.

I call people 'mate' and 'dude' and love hugging people, a bit of love and social connection can make you all feel fuzzy on the insides.

And I am glad that this is what this thread is about, because when I read the title I was thinking of something else.

El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 15:01
i hate rain by itself but love storms. if theres no rain then i want it to be sunny.
that said i preffer to spend my weekends sleeping without a tent in a forest with rain, hail, snow and howling winds, (and probably only getting an hours sleep per night max) than my own warm, comfy bed. <3 military training.
i always say cheers instead of thanks
i always say good morning no matter what time of day, unless im in a mad mood, in which case i'll just say "yeright?"
the most deciding factor in a girls beauty is her nose.
im currently addicted to Oceanlab - Good Day. I have a music addiction, silence makes me feel uncomfortable.
im an ATI/AMD fanboy

</fetishes>

http://notmybase.com
All my base are not belong to anyone.
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 15:11
Rain is awesome.

I have a fetish for any constructive activity or learning stuff. If I don't do that, I feel all bad and non-fuzzy inside. That I'm wasting my time on things that doesn't really matter.

I have a fetish for making people think something that isn't true. Not by lying, but by using words that is technically "neutral", but still implies different things that most people will fall for. The process can span years, as I slowly show them how wrong they were. Like a finely-constructed long-winded "pwnd".

I have a fetish for fetishes too.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 21:00
Am I the only one who thinks that title sounds just a little creepy, given that the term fetish doesn't always refer to your preferred form of precipitation?

shoot at all the scripters you want, but remember that it is a sin to kill a programmer.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 21:03
Quote: "the most deciding factor in a girls beauty is her nose"

Hahahahaha. Well, buddy, I think the most deciding factor is her eyes. Definetly.

Today it's a sunny day in Pittsburgh (60'F) and I wore my baseball cap virtually all day (like always). If I could wear it in school, I could, but I want to be gentlemanly, so I take it off.

Another fetish of mine is the band Boston and their song Peace of Mind. Dunno why, but at 2:25-2:45 (yes, I'm listening to it right now), it reminds me of a sunny day and I constantly rewind back to 2:25 so I can replay it. You may think I'm autistic, but I'm not. Feel bad for 'em though, but they're just like us - only with an odd brain defunct or something; I'm no biologist.

And if you want to listen to Boston's Peace of Mind, it's right here.

Have a nice day.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 22:29
Rain is the shiz that makes the world spin. At the end of a school day, if I have to put up a chair up, EVERY chair has to be up. and all the chairs have to be PERFECTLY aligned to the desks their sitting on.
I like to doodle, if you look in any page of any notebook, you will find countless drawings of the wierdest stuff. Theres actually a bunch of funny stuff in there, little cartoon comics that make fun of whatevers on my mind, its mostly politics or school. I always capitalize a name, including chatrooms and emails. That may not seem wierd, but non of my friends do that, its just me. I feel like its a huge respect issue. Again, something my friends never do, but I do, I say the Pledge every morning in school, by myself. Again, respect thing.

I wish I had access to board 17.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 22:42 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 15:08
Favourite fetishes:

High heels
Superheroines
Martial arts
leather/pvc etc
fitness

Least favourite:

* Mod edit, adult releated subject *

Just IMO.

Game maker wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 23:19
Tip-less woollen gloves from the Army Surplus shop

Rolled up sleeves on my school blazer and long sleeve shirts.

Ibanez guitars.

<Insert Signature Here>
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 23:24 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 23:25
Perfectionism. It's why I never get anything complete; I work at an agonisingly slow pace but everything works spectacularly that I manage. I can't leave something be. It has to be precisely what I wanted.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 23:35
Quote: "Perfectionism"

Same here, although it feels more like OCD than a fetish.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 23:37 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 23:38
Quote: "Am I the only one who thinks that title sounds just a little creepy"

I was going to say the exact same thing. Fetish is usually used as a dirty-ish word. Title should just be like, What's your obsession? Or something like that lol.

Back on topic though, I really don't have any obsession I just play a lot of games and mind my own business lol.

Quote: "Perfectionism. It's why I never get anything complete; I work at an agonisingly slow pace but everything works spectacularly that I manage. I can't leave something be. It has to be precisely what I wanted."

Exactly how I am, type 1 on the enneagram test! lol
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 23:38
Quote: "I really like rain, or when it's overcast outside.

No joke. "

same.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 23:50
Bed - I love it

Eating chocolate spread with a spoon - Yum.

Random things that i do.

Get extreamly paranoid when stood next to a window at night. (you never know who could be there ready to shoot you :S).

Subconciously avoid stepping on lines on the path (I hate lines...)

Freak out when someone faces a shiny chair towards me. (I hate them too)

Acctually name/talk to random objects when im lonely. (especially my screen lol..)

Theres countless more odd things that I do which I have no idea why.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 00:54
Quote: "Get extreamly paranoid when stood next to a window at night. (you never know who could be there ready to shoot you :S).

Subconciously avoid stepping on lines on the path (I hate lines...)"

Same. My big one is, when on the road, I HAVE to read peoples bumber stickers, and if I cant, I think about it the rest of the day.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:04
If a mod sees this, may you change the title to What's your obsession or weird thing that you do?

Thanks.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:23 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 01:24
Quote: "Get extreamly paranoid when stood next to a window at night. (you never know who could be there ready to shoot you :S)."

good, its not just me , but it dont get extremely paranoid

yo yo wats up?
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:35
I wont walk into a room if the curtians arnt closed.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:35
When I was little I used to sleep facing my bedroom window, because I thought that a cereal killer would climb up the side of my house into my room while I was asleep, and I wanted to be able to see him coming...

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:37
Actually come to think of it, I do have an obsession weird thingy. Whenever I go out to eat, I can't have my back face the door or the people in the restaurant. I have to see everyone at all times.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:42
Quote: "Whenever I go out to eat, I can't have my back face the door or the people in the restaurant. I have to see everyone at all times."

I'm the exact same way. I always end up sitting at the very corner of the table with a perfect view of the entire table and restaurant.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 01:48
I have an OCD where everything has to be either on or off, true or false, never like, half way or something (e.g. the dimmer-switch for my light, I just always have it on or off, never in between) ... or for things like volume controls (with numbers) they have to be in multiples of 5s or something to that effect. (I couldn't stand having the TV at, say, volume 29, it'd drive me insane xD)

I also for some reason have to ensure my sub-woofer volume control is turned as far up as it can, even though I never touch the control. - Whenever I turn the sub-woofer off with the switch, I just automatically attempt to turn the volume control regardless of it not moving. :S

xD!
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 02:13
Quote: "they have to be in multiples of 5s or something to that effect"

Same here, it just seems... comfortable.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 02:26
I love skiing! Its the one sport thing that I am really really good at! I'm on the national team! And I go around the world just so I can ski and train!

I love the sun, its sunny here alot, but at the same time there is rain, which I love also, I love the blistering heat, swimming etc.
But then you run out side in the rain ad its awesome

Yeah....
Peace

DarkBASIC Pro. Teh awesumness
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 04:03
Whenever I'm using the microwave, I'll tap my hands really fast to try and make the time fly by faster. Doesn't really work, though...

I can't really think of anything else. I am a bit of a perfectionist, but only in the sense that I have to get everything perfect the first time, mainly because I hate having to re-do things...

And yeah, the title of this thread could be better.

Check out my programming blog!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 04:13
I'm *really* fidgety in long, boring meetings. I tend to nod off easily so I have to fidget to stay awake.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 04:23
That is not what a fetish is

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 04:27
Oh really? I looked it up, and it was the only word I could find in my memory (as I am absent-minded).

Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
when i was little i slept facing the wall so i wouldnt see the closet because of the boogey man...

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 04:29 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 04:35
I like moist overcast weather, makes the air smell funny

I also like walking long distances alone listening to music thinking about stuff. I would always walk from one end of the town to another and back. And its hard for me to be alone without my mp3 player.

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 05:16
Quote: "I'm *really* fidgety in long, boring meetings. I tend to nod off easily so I have to fidget to stay awake."

I'm the same way in school. If I don't roll my fingers or tap my feet I'll doze off in a matter of minutes.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 05:20
Night in cities. Makes me feel awesome somehow.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 11:03:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 11:03:56