Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blox - Save the world from the evil Blox!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 23:11 Edited at: 11th Jul 2009 06:22

About: Dodge the Blox by using the arrow keys, receive power ups by hitting certain Blox, just watch out for the terrible evil Blox! Play 2 player survival mode, who can survive the longest? Play 10 challenging levels or use quickplay to play one quick level of your choice with four challenging difficulties to choose from! Want a little more of a challenge? Use custom mode to tweak the difficulty to your liking.

Progress: = Done = In Progress = Idea = Decided Against

Blocks fall out of random.
Working health bar.
Mouse controls.
Game gets harder over the 60 second time period.
Better HUD design.
Teleportation
Teleportation recharges over time.
More difficulties.
Lives
Better Collision
Power ups.
Different types of blocks.
Playthrough Mode
More challenges.
Custom Mode

Controls:
Left and right keys - Move Character
Mouse Click - Teleport

Objective:
Dodge the falling Blox and do not loose your health!

Latest Screenshot:

Comments: This is my first DBP game and I would like to thank AndrewT for allowing this game to get anywhere. Without him, I would be lost in space (lol). Thank you!

Thanks: AndrewT, nackidno, Brick Break, Phosphoer, MonoCoder, Diggsey, and Happy Cheesecake

The demo is attached!

Cheers!
Zeus

AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 04:07 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 04:10
I found this game to be quite fun. It's really simiple, but can be more complex if to keep working on it. At first i thought the contols were the arrow keys or WASD but then found out it was the mouse, I think it makes it easier to control

The game was fun for the first 5 second but because it didn't really get harder it felt quite long. So if you could make it harder that would be awesome. I know that this is a work in progress, so in the next version can you put different guys like ones which move down and side ways bit like space invaders but much faster, and enemies which shoot.

Overall since this is your first DBP game you did an awesome job.

EDIT:
Quote: " More difficulties."

Woops should I read more of your post lol. I guess since it's level one ignore what I said about getting harder. Just more enemies would be awesome.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 04:39
Don't worry about that, there will be challenges and you can earn achievements. I am going to do that instead of levels and there will be boss fights where the Blox are so many times bigger. Why is this being ignored? Thanks for the reply.

.Zeus.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 04:58
Quote: "bugs: 0"

Made me lol . I'll download later if I remember, my internet is lagging a lot right now...

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 05:15
It's nice, but definitely too easy. I was able to teleport around, avoiding the blocks without any real difficulty. Maybe teleporting should be a limited skill, and you usually have to drag the guy around instead?

Keep it up

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 06:19
Thanks for the comments! Well I was thinking of maybe switching to the left and right arrow keys?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Fun, but way too easy. And maybe it would be better if the character always followed the mouse instead of having to click and hold?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 06:48
I will tune up the difficulty. Here is a screenshot using the new HUD.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 06:51
Looks nice, have you considered making the blocks look nicer? Maybe black outlines on them?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 06:58
Well this is kind of a temporary media thing for right now a major update is coming for the demo pretty soon once I get the HUD updated, the difficulty upped, and menu setup. However, here is the new Blox if you want to you go ahead and update it. Just add it to the Media folder.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 15:53
The demo was uploaded, check the first post!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 20:59
Comments on the new demo?

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:00
Nice improvement!

The controls surprised me again, you should really have a screen with the controls pop up before the game starts or something.

I like that you limited the teleporting, now maybe you could make it recharge slowly over time?

Also, a countdown timer that indicates how close you are to the end would be cool, would give a sense of urgency to the game.

And lastly, how about some indication ( other than losing health ) of when you get hit by a block? Perhaps a sound or graphic or both even.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:47
Alright, I will work on that, thank you for the only comment!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 03:56
Here is a sneak preview of the new demo coming up (this screenshot is on the new difficulty extreme) there are now 4 difficulties plus 1 hidden difficulty.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 05:21
Here is the new demo, can I actually get more than one comment this time so I feel I am not being completely ignored?

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 05:41
You're not being ignored, I'm still looking for time to play it...ah, what the heck, I can put aside Heretic for 5 minutes .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 05:43
Nice update on the game! It's more difficult but still too easy if you know what I mean. I played it on extreme and won pretty easily. I think you might have to play test and get to a difficulty were you find it very hard to win. Try making the damage more, one hit one kill maybe?

The teleport needs more of an important use. I never really used. Just once or two to find out how it works then that's it.

Good update anyways.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 05:48
Not bad. I agree that it was too easy, and that less health is definitely the way to go about fixing that. Also, the collision wasn't perfect - I would sometime get hit even though the smilie and block graphics clearly weren't touching.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:31
Quote: "Nice update on the game! It's more difficult but still too easy if you know what I mean. I played it on extreme and won pretty easily. I think you might have to play test and get to a difficulty were you find it very hard to win. Try making the damage more, one hit one kill maybe?

The teleport needs more of an important use. I never really used. Just once or two to find out how it works then that's it.

Good update anyways. "

Thanks, how could I make the teleport worth while?

Quote: "Not bad. I agree that it was too easy, and that less health is definitely the way to go about fixing that. Also, the collision wasn't perfect - I would sometime get hit even though the smilie and block graphics clearly weren't touching.
"

Ugh, well there is a glitch, I think I know where it is at. I will also fix the damage in the newest 2.0 fix.

Thanks!
Zeus

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:37
I did use the teleport a few times when I got into tight situations.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:41
Yeah it is pretty handy when you are trapped. I uploaded the patch for the demo to fix the bugs, it is attached. It is also, WAAYYY more difficult. Also here is a little hint, try pressing 5 on the difficulty screen.

Just replace the EXE files.

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:42
Another nice update, still looking for that teleport recharge though. I played on extreme as well, and it was too easy I think. Maybe it should start slow and get faster?

How are you testing for collision?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:45 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 06:45
Teleport does recharge for me. Are you having problems? It takes 5 seconds. I will work with difficulties.

Here is my collision code,

Does that look good?

Cheers!
Zeus

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 07:26
Here is a brand new screenshot,

along with a brand new demo (2.5) with the countdown everyone plus new difficulties!

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 09:29 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 09:29
The problem with using the inbuilt sprite collision is that it only detects if the bounding boxes are colliding. This works fine for square images, but the player is a circle, so he will collide even when the circle isn't actually touching the box.

This is a function I use to test whether a circle is colliding with a box. This is in Actionscript 3, but it could easily be modified to work with Dark Basic.

What it does, is it tests to see if any of the four corners of the box are within the radius of the circle ( which would signify a collision ). If not, it then tests to see if any of the sides of the box are within the radius of the circle. You don't need to return different values for side hits and corner hits, I had those to implement a kind of crappy sliding collision.

P.s. I 'beat' extreme again, but this time it gave me an error, sprite scale illegal at line....124 I think? Are you scaling below 0?

AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 10:00
wwwoooo that was soo much fun. I did manage to beat level 5 difficulty. 6 is extremely hard but don't get rid of it, it's good to see if you have elite Blox skill.

Teleport did come and handy this time. Would be nice to see the teleport bar regen rather than poping up full after 5 seconds.

I did however came across and error when i won on level 5.

"Runtime Error 311 - Sprite scale illegal at line 229"

Good Job on keeping this game continuely updated. Unfortunately that error showed up lol.
level
Years of Service
User Offline
nice but sprite scaling illegal at line 229 i think : (
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 23:27
Here is the patch for the sprite scaling error. I attached it, tell me if you see any bugs.

Attachments

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 00:48
Good work, this has a lot of potential if you make the gameplay mechanics a bit more complex!

I beat it on extreme without too much difficulty, so I'll try the higher levels now.

A few suggestions:
- Don't quit the game when you win/lose, return to the menu!
- Use many different images for the blocks (maybe different images could mean the block did different things?)
- As has already been suggested, make the teleport bar visibly recharge.
- Use all the empty space at the bottom to make the bars much larger. It is difficult to see them when you are concentrating on the blocks.
- Add a 'play through' mode, so that you start on easy, and then it automatically advanced when you finish each level.
- Allow a custom mode, where players can tweak settings such as block speed, block spawn frequency, etc.
- Add some particle effects, such as block trails and some particles when you are hit by a block.

Some suggestions for different kinds of blocks:
- Life block, gives you back a life
- Death block, you lose all your lives (not too many of these!)
- Teleport block, instantly recharges your teleport
- A variety of moving blocks, which move in more complicated ways
- Invincibility block, gives you a few seconds of invincibility
- Clear block, clears all blocks on the screen
- Attack block, tries to hit the player
- Fast block, falls much faster than others
- Random block, changes between all of the above as it falls down, you have to hit it at the right moment or you might die

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 00:59
Quote: "A few suggestions:
- Don't quit the game when you win/lose, return to the menu!
- Use many different images for the blocks (maybe different images could mean the block did different things?)
- As has already been suggested, make the teleport bar visibly recharge.
- Use all the empty space at the bottom to make the bars much larger. It is difficult to see them when you are concentrating on the blocks.
- Add a 'play through' mode, so that you start on easy, and then it automatically advanced when you finish each level.
- Allow a custom mode, where players can tweak settings such as block speed, block spawn frequency, etc.
- Add some particle effects, such as block trails and some particles when you are hit by a block.

Some suggestions for different kinds of blocks:
- Life block, gives you back a life
- Death block, you lose all your lives (not too many of these!)
- Teleport block, instantly recharges your teleport
- A variety of moving blocks, which move in more complicated ways
- Invincibility block, gives you a few seconds of invincibility
- Clear block, clears all blocks on the screen
- Attack block, tries to hit the player
- Fast block, falls much faster than others
- Random block, changes between all of the above as it falls down, you have to hit it at the right moment or you might die"

Great ideas! I will work on them as soon as I convert Phosphoer's AS3 code to DBP. Plus the new challenges (levels) will come after I finish all of this.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 01:13 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 01:15
Regarding Diggsey's regardary:

- I wouldn't quite use all the space as bars the width of the screen are kind of unsightly. Keep it to about half the screen. Try making up for it's lacking size by use of distinct sounds and/or animation (brief change in colour, etc.) as well.
- Expanding on the playthrough idea, you could implement difficulty a bit more cleverly. Throughout the course of one level, the speed slowly increases. As it changes to the next, bring the speed back down to somewhere above what it was at the start of the previous level. The difficulty will rise and fall but generally will get harder over time.

And blocks:
- Death block's a bit cheap. Sure there might only be one in a level, but should you accidentally nudge yourself into it while avoiding another... arghglbra (unless you mean health points, in which case, I suppose that'd work. On that matter, how about some lives anyway?)
- How about a group with one block in the middle and 3 or so "spoke" blocks circling around it, making a "wheel" that "rolls" across the screen... or something.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 01:20 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 01:21
Good to see you're working with DBP now.

This needs to turn out as good as Quake3 to wipe your reputation.

[/href]
I will finish this and you will see it in Program Announments at least by summer of 08.
- JSG
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:35
Ambitious there, Diggsey

Quote: "This needs to turn out as good as Quake3 to wipe your reputation."

Uh...was that really necessary?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:51
Quote: "Quote: "This needs to turn out as good as Quake3 to wipe your reputation."
Uh...was that really necessary?"

No it wasn't at all.

Plus this game is so simple that it would be impossible to get stuck on and have to stop. Plus Breeder's Life was in DBC, can you ever forget that crap c0wbox like the rest of us?

On a brighter note,

Lives are being made as well as a better HUD, hopefully some better art soon seeming as the art sucks. You will see Demo 3.0 soon probably but do not expect Diggsey's suggestions until like 6 or 7.

Cheers!
Zeus

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 05:29 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 05:30
Does this HUD look better?

P.S. There will be icons denoting which bar is which plus there will be more stuff down there.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 06:03
It shouldn't say "HUD" on it lol.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 06:43
Quote: "It shouldn't say "HUD" on it lol.
"

Well okay, I fixed that, but I am talking about size?

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 06:55 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 06:57
I take it you want to fill the entire bottom half of the screen with buttons? You can stretch it out as much as you want. I would suggest you keep it as small as possible, but that's just my opinion.
EDIT: Couldn't you just use small icons to indicate what's what?

Permanoobs are awesome.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No it wasn't at all. "

Yes it was, if you don't remember the past, history will repeat itself.

Anyways, looks a little less ambitious. Sounds fun.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 15:51
Quote: "Yes it was, if you don't remember the past, history will repeat itself."

I am not starting with this crap, not again.

Okay here is the new HUD with the icons to show BrickBreak here what I mean and to give a general idea of it.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 16:22
Looking good, though the time bar is a bit short. If you're not going to be putting any more bars in, you should look at taking up the full remainder of the panel and sharing the space equally between bars.

Ignore those dwelling on your past, btw. As it stands you're currently making good progress.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 16:25 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 16:30
Thanks MonoCoder, what I was going to do was shorten the HUD a little bit once I got it finished.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 21:43
Right now, I am working on the lives, here is a screenshot.

I am going to shorten the HUD. Comments?

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 21:50 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 21:51
Yay! A shorter HUD that's not weird! Um, you might want to change "ONE" to 1.
EDIT: I really like the icons. By taking my advice you make me feel like I'm contributing. Thanks.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 22:02
Quote: "Yay! A shorter HUD that's not weird! Um, you might want to change "ONE" to 1.
EDIT: I really like the icons. By taking my advice you make me feel like I'm contributing. Thanks."

Lol okay, I will change the one to a '1'. You are contributing.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 23:34
Yes! He said I'm contributing! I feel human! Great, so it seems that's quite a lot of nitpicking coming from me, and a lot of work coming from you, just on the HUD. It's back to gameplay now, right?

Permanoobs are awesome.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 00:19
Yes of course, I will try to avoid the HUD as much as I can now haha. Well, right now I am having some trouble with lives but as soon as I get that working, demo 3.0 will be out.

Cheers!
Zeus

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 00:54
Really nice game, I made something similar a year ago or something. I revised the graphics so that it satisfied my needs. ^^

Screen attached!

Attachments

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 01:30
Wow! Might to past the media so I can use it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 10:14:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 10:14:07